Question: What did you do to/with your Opel(s) today? - Page 25
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast
Like Tree506Likes

Thread: What did you do to/with your Opel(s) today?

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's good stuff Jarell i"m still laughing mine didn't have the valve to open/close so it was hot all the time and given all the work/money ill spend in other areas i wasn't at this time interested in buying one plus its Florida if i need to turn the heat on i shouldn't have gone for a drive in my skivvies
    soybean and dpre like this.
    If you make it through an entire day and learned nothing you weren't paying attention

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Terry if you have an original radio feel fortunate, most do not because the PO removed to upgrade. I like the original but from what I have found, they are in great need of repair. They do sell aftermarket radios that will fit and look very similar to the original. If you do a search on this forum, you will find lots of information about radios.

I was at a car show this past summer and came across some information about original radios for antique cars. I haven't had the opportunity to check it out yet, but from reliable sources at the car show, it would definitely be worth exploring. Ironically, this company is in Florida where you live.

The information is:

Antique Automobile Radio, Inc
    700 Tampa Rd. Palm Harbor, FL 34683
    727-785-8733 (USA)

From what I was told, the radio looks original but has updated internal technology to include cell phone connectivity. The one I observed at the car show, it looked like the original radio (1968 Ford Mustang), but was one from this company.

The PO removed my Opel original radio, so I'm in search of an original evan if I have to have it repaired, I would like one.

Dan

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great and thank you Dan. I have tried calling both Numbers they list only to get busy signal so i sent them an email hopefully I'll here from them. How would I know for sure if mine is original for sure. Here is a pic hope this helps please excuse the finder washers as it was a temp fix to keep it in place
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you make it through an entire day and learned nothing you weren't paying attention

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dan, They emailed me back and do not offer us opel owners an option other than a contact to take our originals in for upgrades as they said to me am/fm upgrade?

Downloads
    Uploads

Wink

What did I do to my Opel today ? ...Not much really, but I did move it away from the wall cabinets
    so I could jack it high enough to adjust the clutch cable for a little more free play.
    Yes, I put a jack stand at each corner, I can't move fast enough to get out from under a falling car.

That is tomorrows (Saturdays) first step in prep for some Opel driving, now that it's cooled down to the 80s here.

Also I will install a new GT lower radiator hose to replace the 1.1 Kadett hose on it now. I will go to the
    hardware store for a piece of metal tubing to connect the heater hose in place of the 'elbow' connection now.
    That 1.1 GT hose is another part that Gil / Opel GTS has made available again.

It's time to check all the vacuum and fuel hoses too, probably replace all of them for good measure.

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    let me see if this spins the pic so you don"t get a neck cramp trying to look at it
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Terry thanks for checking out that company in Florida, bummer they don't offer a replacement radio. Looking at your radio, it doesn't appear to be an original. From all the Opel GT's I have seen 68-73, the early years will have written across the clear face of the radio above the numbers, "Kadett Radio by Delco" and the later years will have, "Opel GT Radio by Delco". The Opel GT's that were manufactured for North America only had AM.

I would like to have an original that has the "Opel GT Radio by Delco". I know most would say don't evan bother with that crappy radio and replace with a more modern radio. I just think it makes the Opel GT that more unique. I know there are members that would sell one they have in their stock pile of parts, just haven't moved that project higher on the ladder.

GTRoy you have a very nice Opel GT and you live very close to some of my friends. You are very correct when you say its getting cooler from what it was This is the time of year that is more enjoyable outdoors where you live.

Dan
    terrylewisac likes this.

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by dpre View Post
    Terry thanks for checking out that company in Florida, bummer they don't offer a replacement radio. Looking at your radio, it doesn't appear to be an original. From all the Opel GT's I have seen 68-73, the early years will have written across the clear face of the radio above the numbers, "Kadett Radio by Delco" and the later years will have, "Opel GT Radio by Delco". The Opel GT's that were manufactured for North America only had AM.

I would like to have an original that has the "Opel GT Radio by Delco". I know most would say don't evan bother with that crappy radio and replace with a more modern radio. I just think it makes the Opel GT that more unique. I know there are members that would sell one they have in their stock pile of parts, just haven't moved that project higher on the ladder.

GTRoy you have a very nice Opel GT and you live very close to some of my friends. You are very correct when you say its getting cooler from what it was This is the time of year that is more enjoyable outdoors where you live.

Dan
    Sorry for pm Dan just saw your reply post

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess its ok then radio meet Mr trashcan
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Terry I just PM you and just saw your post If you are like me and wish to replace with an original radio, I'm sure we both can locate one from someone on this forum that probably has more than one stashed around.

Dan

Opeler
    Real Name
    Jon
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What did I do to my Opel today?

I've been driving it to work everyday this Summer (6 miles), with the exception of a week down, waiting for & installing a new F.A.S.T electronic ignition, 4 weeks ago.
    Thank you to everyone who helped me sort through it!

As soon as the first frost & road salt is applied, I'll be putting it away for the Winter.

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    pretty cool John pretty cool the folks here are awesome and undoubtedly the finest folks I've ever had the opportunity to exchange words and thoughts with 2nd to none
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    Cam
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRoy View Post
    What did I do to my Opel today ? ...Not much really, but I did move it away from the wall cabinets
    so I could jack it high enough to adjust the clutch cable for a little more free play.
    Yes, I put a jack stand at each corner, I can't move fast enough to get out from under a falling car.

That is tomorrows (Saturdays) first step in prep for some Opel driving, now that it's cooled down to the 80s here.

Also I will install a new GT lower radiator hose to replace the 1.1 Kadett hose on it now. I will go to the
    hardware store for a piece of metal tubing to connect the heater hose in place of the 'elbow' connection now.
    That 1.1 GT hose is another part that Gil / Opel GTS has made available again.

It's time to check all the vacuum and fuel hoses too, probably replace all of them for good measure.
    Roy, good to hear you're getting the GT prepped. Give me a shout when Craig gets back and we'll meet up somewhere. I have one of my annual AMC meets in Las Vegas Nov 8-9 and am driving my '72 Javelin up there for it, but otherwise I'm usually around.

My Opel got neglected earlier this year due mostly to some medical issues in the family-- now resolved thankfully-- plus we took an RV trip up to Montana after that was over. It's a shame the Opel hasn't been out more, because it really has never looked better since it got new paint last year.

Though I've been prepping the Javelin for the Vegas run, it's been in the shop for the past week to get the a/c working, so I've been back on the Opel again. I finally got the transmission mount how I like it for the first time since last year's T5 swap. I also ordered some Hedman Hot Tips (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which I have used in the last to quiet the sound of my custom 2" exhaust. I cut the tips off the stock-style Bosal resonators and weld these on. I did this on my last Bosal resonator but had forgotten about it. I was surprised when I recently replaced the old Bosal with a new one how much louder the car got! The Hot Tips are going back on next week.

I also had developed an oil leak after replacing the head gasket earlier this year. I was afraid it was related to that, but luckily it was just the drain plug. A new copper washer and some teflon tape and we're drip-free! In an Opel I always thought that meant it was out of oil, haha, so I'm probably going to be taken aback for awhile when I look under the car and see it's dry.
    Last edited by zippy7575; 10-19-2019 at 06:57 PM.
    The Scifi Guy and dpre like this.
    Sunburst yellow 1970 GT, 2.0L w/ header, Tremec T5, Weber 32/36, Pertronix, Sway Bars, BWA Sportstar wheels. Owned since 1973.

Real Name
    Eric
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In the same vein as your oil drain plug leak, this week I figured out where my transmission leak was coming from. I was sure it was a gasket, and for some reason kept completely overlooking the drain plug in the new pan I installed earlier this year, mostly because everything in the vicinity was getting gear oil on it. Apparently it had worked itself a bit loose and started leaking. Tightened it up and added more gear oil and no more leaks.

Real Name
    Eric
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, today is my birthday and I just had to hear the car run even though it isn't driveavke right now with the interior out of it. We put in some hard tuning work on Friday and got it running again for the first time in over 3 years. Can't wait to get it all squared away so I can finally enjoy the fruits of my labor after rebuilding up the engine and going dual DCOEs.

I tried to post a video from my phone but it won't upload.
    75ascona and dpre like this.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Happy Birthday Eric always a good day when you can get the Opel running and even a better day when you can drive it. Hopefully you will get it derivable soon.

Nice Opel Jon

Dan

Real Name
    Richard
    Downloads
    Uploads

Week 1 acquisition anniversary

Bought the GT last Saturday. Today I crawled under to get a closeup look at the under carriage while changing the oil and searching for a trans leak. I used a Wix 51348 which cross-referenced from the Bosch ST3330 that came off.
    Poking around underneath and expecting the worst when it came to the tranny leak but it looks like it was only a loose speedo cable connection. Tightened it up and we drove 15 miles around town and so far no leaks on the garage floor. However...
    Last week while looking over the car, the PO told me that the 4th gear syncro had gone out about 4-5 years ago and he rebuilt the trans using good parts from two other trans he had pulled from the junkyard. What he meant to say is that he bolted up a later style trans in an early model chassis. Dash still has the W=897 speedo which explains why it doesn't sync to the GPS app on my phone. The speedo registers about 50 mph when it's actually going 42. Also explains why the reverse light doesn't work - see the pic. The PO cut the two wires from the switch when removing the trans and never rewired them.
    The Scifi Guy, 75ascona and dpre like this.

Real Name
    joe blow
    Downloads
    Uploads
    more like this past week (just doing miscellaneous stuff that doesn't cost any money since I am flat broke)

I verified the multi groove pulley set up i had made years ago uses the Toyota Multi belts

first pic, far left is a Opel Multi groove crank pulley, the black pulley was also done but they screwed up the holes

the silver pulley is an oversized toyota 4AGE water pump pulley, far right upper you can just see the stock 4age water pump pulley

this next pic I put the two water pump pulleys on top of each other and they are the same size
    so its a good chance the company just used a Toyota pulley and re-drilled the holes and sold it to me
    screwing up the holes

I am still looking for a water pump
    and some Opel timing cover bolts so I can see if this stuff will work together

David
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

Real Name
    Eric
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhawkjesse33 View Post
    Well, today is my birthday and I just had to hear the car run even though it isn't driveavke right now with the interior out of it. We put in some hard tuning work on Friday and got it running again for the first time in over 3 years. Can't wait to get it all squared away so I can finally enjoy the fruits of my labor after rebuilding up the engine and going dual DCOEs.

I tried to post a video from my phone but it won't upload.
    The best part of the Opel experience yesterday was having my two young boys sit on my lap, while I sat on the floorboard where the seat would normally be to start it up. The giggles and made engine sounds. Then it dawned on them that the lights would work too, so they ran around to the front to see them rotate over and turn on. They kept making hand gestures to tell me to turn them over or under...about 20 times worth.

Yesterday was a great day
    davegt27, SpringGT, dpre and 1 others like this.

Real Name
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hmm

Change the Wheels n Exercise it!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JdRHRJeRq4UFnSdK7

how come the dang pic wont show
    Last edited by opelnut_1; 10-21-2019 at 11:57 PM.
    davegt27 likes this.
    My Collection:
    69 Silver Opel GT (Mystery Targa Car)
    70 Yellow Opel Gt (First car)
    70 Blue /Yellow (Racer)
    71 Orange Opel (Hmm Car)
    72 White Opel Gt (Mostly Stock)
    73 Black Opel Gt (Cabrio)
    Ocker (50th Tour Car)

12 Volvo C30 (Cosmo)
    07 CBR 1000rr (SPEED FIX Machine)
    65 F250 (for parts haulin)
    65 Fastback Stang (Sleeping Till Gt is back on the Road)
    87 & 88 Ysr 50 (street legal pocket bikes)

Thread Information