Question: What did you do to/with your Opel(s) today? - Page 3
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree488Likes

Thread: What did you do to/with your Opel(s) today?

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Made a fuel rail to fit GM LS-style injectors to an Opel EFI intake. They are unique because they are very compact (about 2” tall), and they use a 14 mm top O-ring, but a 15 mm lower O-ring.

I’m awaiting a quote for a billet aluminum injector plate to accept the 15 mm lower O-rings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Scifi Guy and opelgtcr8z like this.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10, E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta - racecar

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelgtcr8z View Post
    ...My list is short and my car should be done this week after a year and a half resto.
    Congratulations Scott.
    Sounds like you are ready to start having fun with the car after the bloody knuckles phase of the restoration.
    Hope to see it out at Springfield.
    Cheers,
    Ron in Indy
    opelgtcr8z likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As noted elsewhere, I played with the brakes and got some improvement in pedal travel, simply by adjusting the rear brakes. Thanks to the individuals that posted good suggestions on that one. Also fiddled with the carburetor and eliminated most of the flat spot on acceleration. Ultimately, the carburetor has to be replaced, and it will be with a rebuilt original GT Solex (I know, I know -- door stop. Please, do not irritate me with exhortations to replace with a Weber). Also, on comparison with my other cars, noticed that the seat belt catch on the three-point belts is backwards, so I R&R'd them so that the red release button is on the outside of the belt catch. I must have three miles on the car now and tomorrow it is going to get its first full tank of gas in decades. Pinion seal is leaking and I received a new one this week from OGTS, but the torque tube bump stops are on back order and I don't want to replace the seal without renewing the bump stops at the same time.

Question for those in the know: On idle, my new resonator at the rear of the exhaust system sounds as though there is something rattling around inside. I mean, like noisy! This item is fresh from Gil and I am wondering if this is normal or what?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads

What did you do to/with your Opel(s) today?

I had a very busy day today. The Targa got a lot of much needed love.

1. Took my leaky wheels to the shop
    2. Put on Gordon’s old wheels while I waited so I could get more work done.
    3. Disassembled the exhaust from another GT and adapted the little muffler to work on my stock headpipe. Installed it and hung it up nicely before the axle. (I need all the clearance for off road)

It sounds much better! It’s a good bit quieter and much more comfortable to drive.

4. I sprayed undercoating all over the bottom after spending a lot of time cleaning it. It cut down a lot on the gravel flying noise when having fun off-road.

5. Cleaned the car inside and out, repainted some bad spots in the interior.

6. Replaced a bad tie-rod

7. Put the repaired tires back on. Gordon’s wheels just don’t look quite right on my orange GT. I think it’s lifted too high for them.

8. Removed the crappy taillights I made and put in some original throwaway taillights housings and lights. I had 4 amber ones so I painted two red lol.

9. I salvaged two bent up bumpers and installed them. I had to do a lot of bending as these bumpers have been in an accident. I do need a license plate light housing still. I may paint them with some black Berliner tomorrow to match the rest of the car.

10. Put a grille on the front of the car to block grass from covering up my radiator.

11. Fixed the leaky OGTS master cylinder leak with some brake fluid resistant sealant. Thank god.

Still a bunch to do tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rrossjr likes this.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD, Working GM AC

Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nothing, not a thing.

I have all the parts down here in Colorado with me, but the shell is up in ND still, and I just don't have the room here in the new place due to the downsizing of the garage from a 1,000 square feet to 700 has really put a crimp in ALL garage projects, at least till I get the other garage built. I sure as hell wouldn't store anything outside around here that I wouldn't want destroyed, seeing as how the sky down here likes to avalanche frozen rocks of ice the size of grapefruits and softballs (but they are NOT SOFT) and your barely safe in your own home because of it. Still love it here though
    "Be Water, My Friend" Bruce Lee, December 9, 1971

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Readjusted the solid lifters on the targa today. So much quieter! Some of my lifters were at .030. I have much more power now.

I also repainted the engine bay.

Before!

After!

Tomorrow will be my last day here to work on it until winter probably. I didn’t get the roof made yet, but maybe next year...

I have a terrible grinding noise either in the water pump or the alternator. I’ll try and fix that tomorrow, but I’m not sure if any of my extra alternators work. I think my lower mount is bent because the alternator is cocked to the side. Lots of belt squeal too even though the belt is pretty tight.

kwschumm likes this.
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD, Working GM AC

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Kai and I finished assembling "Catherine's" motor, a stock 1.9 (E-block). All went well except some mangled threads for the crank pulley and having installed a Manta pick-up tube.

If Kai wasn't leaving today we'd put it on the test stand and run it.

Mike

Real Name
    Tom
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had to make a small modification to the exhaust after putting the new rebuild in I had some clearance issues, the muffler was making contact with the parking drivers side parking brake cable, with the new motor mounts particularly the drivers side (old mount came out in 2 pieces, the motor was just laying on the mount 😴, I had no idea) I put a temporary fix using a hose clamp to draw the muffler in towards the center of the car about 1/4” until I can take it back in to the muffler shop and have them straighten it out. I took the new 2.0 out today. I finally had legitimately passed the 1,000 mile break in🎉 taking advice from some of the guys here and using the easy does it break in method 90% of the time using the 32mm primary side only using secondary when necessary. Today I went WOT a few times not even to yellow line yet but close. When I rebuilt the drive trane and had the engine rebuilt I ported the intake manifold to match the 32/36 for the first time since I’ve owned it. Between the new rebuild and the changes made it definitely was very different and also had more power. Considering the 90° outside temperature it definitely ran with more pep than the before even on a cool day with my ignition timing all in at 2000 RPMS. Now closer to 3500. It used to run leaner on the secondary 13.5:1 now I’m a now little rich at 11.5:1 WOT. Looking for 12.5:1 as my goal. I also got good advice not to try for any afr targets for at least 1500 miles. So no re jetting for a while. I had to park it because I was also advised to goose it once in a while, I found once in a while turning into every 5-10 minutes and quickly accelerating from there, beside The Cub never liked the heat. I probably should give it another 500 or more until I start up my old habits to take it to 6300 RPM’s whenever possible. Gil said it takes all of 30,000 miles for a completely broken in engine, holy 🐄. I ordered the tapered brass plug for the oil fill side of my timing cover today. That’s it for today’s adventures.

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I finished up the 2.5 free days to work on my targa Gt really quickly! I wish I had more time, but I have to get back to Oklahoma. Today I put on some trim strips, gave it a nice wash, fixed the alternator problem. The upper mount was bent. I made up for the bend with washers. I tuned up the 32/36. Plugs are tan and it will idle smoothly at 600rpm but I put it at 1000 where I’m used to.
    It feels just like my red GT before I upgraded it. It’s unbelievable how much faster my 2.0L with side draft is! None the less this engine is quiet and smooth and starts on one click of the key every time.
    Next time I’m back in Texas I will install seatbelts, a license plate light in the bumper, have it aligned, and make a targa top for it!
    It looks so much better than before!

rrossjr likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Decided to address the leaking pinion seal and ran into a bit of a bind. I had noticed last week that the rubber donut in the center support was badly deteriorated and a new one was ordered, along with the center bearing. When I got everything apart, I found the enter bearing support bracket to be broken -- several stress fractures. I have a parts WTB up on the Add Board, but if anyone has a loose one floating around, let me know. Don't need the donut, the bearing or the torque tube bushings, as I either have them or they are on order. Serrated bolts holding the torque tube had previously been stripped out, and had to use vice grips to loosen them. Needed clearance for the top screw on the passenger side, so had to remove the nice new front muffler, outlet pipe and resonator that I recently put on.

Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was inspired by Gordo's car show story yesterday,
    so I decided to check out a local show about 30 minutes away in the Broad Ripple neighborhood in Indy.
    Lots of shade, about 50 cool cars, and some excellent beer from a local brew pub.
    Oh, also some Opel love, since I snagged one of the 5 awards.
    Cheers,
    Ron in Indy
    SpringGT, GTRoy, ken2 and 2 others like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    SHADE ! Beer, and a BEST award ! I'll Drink to that ! !
    rrossjr likes this.

Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRoy View Post
    SHADE ! Beer, and a BEST award ! I'll Drink to that ! !
    I did!

Your Noble Friend ;-) G.v.Mainberg's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Started on my Stainless exhaust on the Calibra.

Dieter

Mike's Opel Shop Site Supporter opellane's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been working on my Yellow GT Frontend since last October.. Had some Major Family and work Issues, missed Carlisle
    but I've started back again on the Job happy to say!

1.I'm Going with the Original Rubber Bushings setup
    for the Upper and Lower Control Arms ( they were a pain to Press off and back together though..)
    2. With the help of Markandson shop,Jeff welded on the Gussets and Sway Bar Tabs on the Lower Arms
    then off to the power coat shop, for a waiting time... Jet Glossy Black, and white glossy for the lowering spring
    3. Pressing of the rubber bushing is no easy task, You need a really Big Machine Press to do the Job Right, and all the adapter and bushings too.

So here are the Recent Photos of my Project ... a little too late to start a new thread ..oopps

Here I mounted the crossmember to the Frontend Holding Stand ( It's a pleasure to work on the frontend while on the Stand that Jeff made for me. Thanks

Mounted the Lower Control Arms to the lowering Sport spring first 1st DSCF3170.jpg

THEN-

Attach one side to the crossmember.. and I used 3/8 threaded rod a Solid steel eye ring and some heavy
    DSCF3172.jpg
    washers/Nuts, fasten them to the lower shock mount
    then to press the... compress the spring, dial down the Jam Nut through the upper shock tower hole Top..It worked for me.. and I still have all my fingers LOL
    DSCF3183.jpg

Still have more parts to install
    DSCF3192.jpg

It's going to look pretty when it's all said and done
    Last edited by opellane; 08-13-2018 at 07:05 PM.
    OrangPeEL and m610 like this.
    MIKE
    ---------------------------------------------------
    1972 Opel GT, 1969 Opel GT, 1973 MGB,

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Today on the way home from work, in my Ford Escape, I experienced almost total, maybe 95%, loss of brakes in an emergency tire screecher on the interstate, when a guy pulling a camper abruptly pulled out of the backed up exit lane he was in, then decided to return to that lane, but it was too late to pull back in, so suddenly me and 500 cars going 70mph all had to jam our brakes. Many of them ended up sideways and on the grass medians, I was two cars behind the guy and had no choice but to steer straight and squash the brake pedal to the floor. Which it's not supposed to do. I had no prior indication that my brakes were wonky. I had to drive home with my hand on the parking brake, just in case. 5% brakes was all I had.

I had a doctor appointment to get the verdict on the condition with my wrist and the only car handy was the GTX. I drove my rocket ship to the doc's, got what was good news to me: surgery, and drove back home.

Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    Today on the way home from work, in my Ford Escape, I experienced almost total, maybe 95%, loss of brakes in an emergency tire screecher on the interstate, when a guy pulling a camper abruptly pulled out of the backed up exit lane he was in, then decided to return to that lane, but it was too late to pull back in, so suddenly me and 500 cars going 70mph all had to jam our brakes. Many of them ended up sideways and on the grass medians, I was two cars behind the guy and had no choice but to steer straight and squash the brake pedal to the floor. Which it's not supposed to do. I had no prior indication that my brakes were wonky. I had to drive home with my hand on the parking brake, just in case. 5% brakes was all I had.

I had a doctor appointment to get the verdict on the condition with my wrist and the only car handy was the GTX. I drove my rocket ship to the doc's, got what was good news to me: surgery, and drove back home.

Sounds like you were lucky twice today.
    Glad you kept all 4 wheels on the ground, and good luck with the surgery.
    Cheers,
    Ron in Indy
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Moved the latest motor to the test stand, which was not as easy as it sounds. The stand does not fit between the legs in the back of the engine hoist. But with extra jacks and blocks of wood, done.

Started bolting on the bolt-ons, didn't quite finish. Ran out of daylight and supplies. I'll have it running tomorrow.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    took a sander to some rust to see how bad it is. Not as bad as I feared. Just some surface rust, will be getting some rust remover to mitigate it in the next week or so after I strip the paint off the hood to get ready to prime.
    Bob

1970 GT

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    FYI: They used brown glue to hold the hoods together, so be aware that some of what you might think is rust is actually glue.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information