Question: What did you do to/with your Opel(s) today? - Page 5
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Like Tree488Likes

Thread: What did you do to/with your Opel(s) today?

Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GTeglman View Post
    (Saturday) I participated in the annual Oil of Man Rally, with lots of friends and nice cars. To be part of the fun & game your car has to be +35 years old. Even it's not the best photos I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Cheers.
    Nice cars including your very nice GT.
    I ran into a TVR at a British car show a few years ago.
    Not many made it to the US, and fewer are still on the road.
    Cheers,
    Ron in Indy
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    OooOooOoooo! Is that CHROME I see under that hood?!!!! OooOooOoooo!

Yes, it's pretty blingy under there.

Real Name
    Scott
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GTeglman View Post
    (Saturday) I participated in the annual Oil of Man Rally, with lots of friends and nice cars. To be part of the fun & game your car has to be +35 years old. Even it's not the best photos I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Cheers.
    Wow, an Austin Heally Bug-eyed Sprite I think. Those look so happy!
    Scott

1970 Opel GT
    1974 Opel Manta Luxus
    1977 VW Bay Window Bus
    1987 VW Vanagon
    1970 VW Beetle
    1964 VW Single Cab Truck

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Scott
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a little late but Saturday I took my Opel and our two VDubs to a local car show to support ALS research. It wasn't well attended due to rain. They had plenty of trophies and thought that I had a chance with 3 entries. I didn't win anything!! They just don't appreciate good vehicles.

Sunday I restored one of my gas caps. Put a thread out there with complete instructions if anyone needs them.
    Next car show for me is called the Frog Follies this Friday in Evansville, Indiana. I can't take my cars because they all have to be pre-1949. Its a decent sized show for around here and the swap meet section is pretty nice size. That's why I go.
    Scott

1970 Opel GT
    1974 Opel Manta Luxus
    1977 VW Bay Window Bus
    1987 VW Vanagon
    1970 VW Beetle
    1964 VW Single Cab Truck

Real Name
    Anders Teglman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @rrossjr & @opelgtcr8z,

You are both sport on ! The TVR is a model 3000M. Only about 650 build, and only two in Denmark. A real drivers cars that corners fantastic. The Austin Heally Bug-eyed is a Sprite, and in very nice condition.

The Aston Martin DB5 was originally right hand drive. Tom (mechanical engineer), who is the proud owner bought it back in the middle 70' for about 16.000 USD, rebuild it him self into a left hand drive using all original Aston Martin parts, showed it to Aston Martin in UK who was extremely impressed with the work he done. Realistic he will collect around 1.300.000,00 USD today if he sold it.
    Last edited by GTeglman; 08-21-2018 at 01:33 PM.
    rrossjr likes this.

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Friday: I looked out the front door to see if my new electric engine fan, new OGTS fan shroud, and see-through hood window had arrived.

Saturday: I looked out the front door again to see if my new electric engine fan, new OGTS fan shroud, and see-through hood window had arrived. Went to a car show and came home with a new leg for my kitchen table.

Sunday: I did not look out my front door.

Monday: I looked out the front door again to see if my new electric engine fan, new OGTS fan shroud, and see-through hood window had arrived.

Tuesday: I looked out the front door again to see if my new electric engine fan, new OGTS fan shroud, and see-through hood window had arrived.

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ll post a good thread about this later, but long story short I have Air conditioner in my Opel GT now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    First opel 1981 and SpringGT like this.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD, Working GM AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did NOT add air conditioning to my Opel (yet).

What I did do was replace the rearview mirror.

I started by trying to remove the three screws holding on the old mount. I say "trying" because all three heads snapped off.

I could have spent an hour fixing the situation but, instead, drilled three new holes 1/8" off from the old ones. Then I went to the local nut and bolt store and bought three replacement screws in stainless steel.

When I redo the headliner nobody will ever be able to tell there are three old screw shafts in the old spot and the mirror isn't so far off that it will be noticeable.
    The Scifi Guy likes this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Only small stuff done today.
    Put in the little rubber damper above the resonator. I’ve never had this part before.

Put all the cleaning supplies, spare parts, and tools back in my storage compartment. It’s a shame to hide that gorgeous AC system, but I need my stuff

I cleaned up the garage. The AC install made the place look like a bomb went off.

rrossjr likes this.
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD, Working GM AC

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    (Database error, original post was lost.)

I worked on Rob's car yesterday. I installed the front sway bar, finished up some details on the rear suspension, and finished the install of the mater cylinder, except I am short two copper crush washers. I also chiseled out the battery tray. Today the new battery tray goes in, and as difficult as it was working one handed in that tight space in the nose getting the old one out, I'm not looking forward to this.

Mike
    guyopel likes this.

Real Name
    Scott
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Took the Opel and the 2 VDubs to the local ‘Shop with a Cop’ car show and benefit. It was the German invasion in a sea of American muscle cars and classics. I was amazed to get First Place in the 1970 to 1989 category with the GT! Maybe a dry run for Springfield later this month. I beat a gorgeous lincoln, a Burt Reynolds black Trans Am and several other cars. No way I would have won if my car had been a 69. Lots of fantastic 60s cars there in that catagory.
    GTeglman likes this.
    Scott

1970 Opel GT
    1974 Opel Manta Luxus
    1977 VW Bay Window Bus
    1987 VW Vanagon
    1970 VW Beetle
    1964 VW Single Cab Truck

Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelgtcr8z View Post
    Took the Opel and the 2 VDubs to the local ‘Shop with a Cop’ car show and benefit. It was the German invasion in a sea of American muscle cars and classics. I was amazed to get First Place in the 1970 to 1989 category with the GT! Maybe a dry run for Springfield later this month. I beat a gorgeous lincoln, a Burt Reynolds black Trans Am and several other cars. No way I would have won if my car had been a 69. Lots of fantastic 60s cars there in that catagory.
    Well done, Scott!
    A nice line up of cars. Your bus and GT are almost the same color.

Real Name
    Scott
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rrossjr View Post
    Well done, Scott!
    A nice line up of cars. Your bus and GT are almost the same color.
    Funny you should say that. The bus is not finished and is only primed in grey. Its not equal to my GTs final paint color but i guess it looks close. I took my 9 year old son for a ride in the Opel this week and during the trip he said “so dad, what color are you going to paint it?” I said “what do you mean? I already painted it!” He said “I thought it was primer!” I almost kicked him out of the car right there!!😀 i guess the bus has been in primer too long and my kids also have lacked faith in me ever finishing a car!
    Scott

1970 Opel GT
    1974 Opel Manta Luxus
    1977 VW Bay Window Bus
    1987 VW Vanagon
    1970 VW Beetle
    1964 VW Single Cab Truck

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads

What did you do to/with your Opel(s) today?

I met Lynn at a car show in Choctaw Oklahoma. I really enjoyed seeing a 1.1L GT and meeting him. I wish I could have stayed longer, but my friend got heat exhaustion and needed me to take him home. He’s from Virginia and is not used to 95+F with 50% humidity. My AC was very nice today, but that condensor does block a lot of air. I didn’t overheat but my radiator spewed a bit at about 200°F on the way home. Might need a new cap. It was a total of 80 miles on the Opel for me today. I am pretty happy about the AC. Just need to make an idle solenoid and a 7” condensor fan and it’ll be perfect.

Last edited by Knorm65; 09-01-2018 at 09:32 PM.
    rrossjr likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I took the front of my engine apart to get the timing cover off to inspect it, was hoping to find cracks in it and I did. Hoping that’s why I’m getting water in my oil.
    1962 olds f85 cutlass: 455, 4l80e
    http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/...5-cutlass.html

1975 opel manta: 215, t50
    https://www.opelgt.com/forums/member...nta-build.html

Looking for borg Warner t50’s (trannys/parts/rebuild kits)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by young olds View Post
    I took the front of my engine apart to get the timing cover off to inspect it, was hoping to find cracks in it and I did. Hoping that’s why I’m getting water in my oil.
    Cracked head, more likely.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    Humans are not an endangered species!

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by young olds View Post
    I've seen that in a timing chain cover. The area behind the water pump had corroded through.

Hopefully it's not the head.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We dug into the Aardvark (Sports Wagon) today. Perfect weather for it, too.

Our accomplishments can be measured on a scale, and they include 5 garbage bags of trash, a trash can full of junk parts, three boxes full of maybe good parts, a pile of sell-able parts, a big pile of sweepings, and a 20 gallon shop vac full to the brim with dirt and debris. Now we can finally see how much work the car needs before work on making it a race car can even start.

I hear the German word for aardvark is Erdferkel, which means "earth pig".

Mike

Real Name
    Lynn
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Knorm65 View Post
    I met Lynn at a car show in Choctaw Oklahoma. I really enjoyed seeing a 1.1L GT and meeting him. I wish I could have stayed longer, but my friend got heat exhaustion and needed me to take him home. He’s from Virginia and is not used to 95+F with 50% humidity. My AC was very nice today, but that condensor does block a lot of air. I didn’t overheat but my radiator spewed a bit at about 200°F on the way home. Might need a new cap. It was a total of 80 miles on the Opel for me today. I am pretty happy about the AC. Just need to make an idle solenoid and a 7” condensor fan and it’ll be perfect.

Thanks for posting pics Kyler. Very nice to meet you yesterday. Sorry your friend wasn't feeling well. We went ahead and stayed until about 5. My son and his wife, and my twin grandsons were there, so we made it a family affair. Your GT is a really cool car, with all the right mods. My car ran nice and cool all the way home, even though it was still about 95 degrees out. My odometer does not work, but I believe it was about a 90 mile round trip for me. The fuel gauge barely moved.

Your rear muffler (resonator?) sure fits up nice and snug. Even with the correct hanger (thanks to Roy) mine isn't nearly as clean. I don't think I can make it fit any better without cutting off the rear pipes and reconfiguring. I am guessing that the one I have it the closest thing available to an original.
    Knorm65 likes this.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnB View Post
    Your rear muffler (resonator?) sure fits up nice and snug. Even with the correct hanger (thanks to Roy) mine isn't nearly as clean. I don't think I can make it fit any better without cutting off the rear pipes and reconfiguring. I am guessing that the one I have it the closest thing available to an original.
    Lynn, in looking at the rear view of your two cars at the show, I think that your exhaust pipes are closer to the stock position than Knorm's. His are really snug up against the body and yours have more clearance. Look at the white GT in my garage pictures and where the pipes are located. The car was only a little over a year old in the picture and still had the original exhaust system on it.
    Last edited by SpringGT; 09-03-2018 at 12:01 AM.
    Knorm65 likes this.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast