Question: What did you do to/with your Opel(s) today? - Page 6
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Like Tree521Likes

Thread: What did you do to/with your Opel(s) today?

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have my right wrist surgery done this coming Friday and tomorrow I have a stress test and blood work done 'cuz they're gonna knock me out, so I took the rest of the week off from work.

I'm already climbing the walls with boredom. I'll be REALLY climbing the walls during the several weeks after the surgery 'cuz I won't be able to do schitt with my "do stuff" hand. My left hand takes the short bus to school, it's so "special" it couldn't pick my nose. I'll have to pay a neighbor to brush my teeth and wipe my hiney.

So, I thought I would get a couple of yucky, unpleasant, jobs done under the car. One of which will play out over several days.

Despite everything I've done to my auto tranny, it still drips. I have very reluctantly concluded that it must be the pan gasket. For 30 years I have lived by the mantra: Don't mess with the TH180 pan gasket! Every pan gasket I've ever seen replaced and done myself on those trannies leaked. All of those jobs were done with sealer. I came across a new "deluxe" rubbery gasket that says: No sealer! I have a bunch of the normal Fram cork-based gaskets and have been reluctant to install any of them. All these gasket sets come with a new metal filter screen.

I'm bored and it will take several days for the opened up tranny bottom to stop dripping fluid, so my surgery week is a good time to do this job:

Standard tranny gasket kit.jpg Deluxe tranny gasket kit.jpg

The tranny is draining as I type.

While I'm under the car, now would be a good time to install my 2.4 cast iron engine/tranny support/reinforcement. Normal GT's have stamped steel bolt-on brackets on either side to add strength to the engine/tranny union. Apparently, Opel decided that 2.4 engines needed a massive one-piece 8 pound cast iron support that replaces the sheet metal flywheel cover and the brackets. It's about 5mm(5/16") thick:

2.4 engine-tranny support (1).jpg 2.4 engine-tranny support (2).jpg 2.4 engine-tranny support (3).jpg

It will replace the brackets and flywheel cover you see in this pic

IMG_0570.jpg

We've got another 4 day heat wave hitting us starting today, so my two little projects will only get my attention early in the morning this week........

P.S. Yes, that's a round magnet I have stuck to the oil pan to grab metal particles as my engine continues to break in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most of the time, the reason the tranny pan gasket leaks, is because the bolts were tightened too much.
    Sheet metal pans are very prone to over tightening. When you over tighten them, just once, they deform and can't be properly tightened again. You'd need to reform the metal or replace the pan.

Also, adding a 'spreader' to the bolt will help distribute the bolt force and allow you to tighten a little more than spec to help seal an old gasket.

Spreaders similar to these.

Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    ...Every pan gasket I've ever seen replaced and done myself on those trannies leaked. All of those jobs were done with sealer...
    Interesting. The last two times I've serviced my TH-180, I've used the cork gasket and RTV. It never leaked (at least not from the gasket) but I spent a lot of time cleaning the mating surfaces,
    and using the proper torque specs for the pan. Now, the leak from the dip stick tube on the other hand...
    Cheers, Ron in Indy
    Last edited by rrossjr; 09-03-2018 at 09:10 PM.
    First opel 1981 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    [QUOTE=The Scifi Guy;1379281]I have my right wrist surgery done this coming Friday and tomorrow I have a stress test and blood work done 'cuz they're gonna knock me out, so I took the rest of the week off from work.

I'm already climbing the walls with boredom. I'll be REALLY climbing the walls during the several weeks after the surgery 'cuz I won't be able to do schitt with my "do stuff" hand. My left hand takes the short bus to school, it's so "special" it couldn't pick my nose. I'll have to pay a neighbor to brush my teeth and wipe my hiney. [QUOTE]

Gordo, the stress test will be the most fun you have had for years. I had a two part stress test (for vein blockage). First one was stress, usually on a treadmill. My doctor said no treadmill. so they injected me with something for that, and the radioactive stuff so the it could be seen on the MRI. Next day it was just the radioactive stuff and the MRI. I thought this is great, retired for two months and have to go in for open heart surgery. My doctor called and said "No Blockage". That was a big relief. Have fun with it, and it won't be so bad. Good Luck with your surgery.

Bob
    SpringGT and The Scifi Guy like this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post

Also, adding a 'spreader' to the bolt will help distribute the bolt force and allow you to tighten a little more than spec to help seal an old gasket.

Spreaders similar to these.
    OoooOooo! Chromy! Where can I get those? Do they make corner ones, too?

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tealcarver View Post

Gordo, the stress test will be the most fun you have had for years.

Bob
    I had the injection type of stress test when I had my knees done 7-8 years ago. Man, that was freaky to feel your heart ramp up to 180 while sitting dead still!

Downloads
    Uploads
    OoooOooo! Chromy! Where can I get those? Do they make corner ones, too?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...aders&_sacat=0
    The Scifi Guy likes this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    Humans are not an endangered species!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ran the GT up to Peoria for a show yesterday, about 180 miles round trip. Purred like a kitten. The last photo is from a Coffee and Cars I went to a couple of weeks back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a pic of my tranny with the pan removed:

IMG_0572.jpg

Looks clean as a whistle inside(They always do). The engine and tranny lean towards the passenger side, that's why I have "high/low" indicated in the pic. The high side has what looks and feels rough like rust, but the tranny is aluminum, so that's not it. I haven't picked at it or run a file over it. The pan still has the gasket on it and there's no evidence of sealer or rust on the steel pan, so I don't know what that crusty stuff is. I got this tranny from a member who had it "rebuilt", then never used it for 25 years. I'm sure it wasn't filled with fluid during that time. I bought it 10 years ago and have used it ever since. I don't think I ever checked the bolt tightnesses 'cuz it was rebuilt. I get the sense that the bolts were never tightened up properly. The instructions on the new deluxe gasket say to simply install the gasket with no sealer, tighten the bolts to the recommended torque, then immediately fill with fluid and run the engine up to operating temperature. Maybe this immediate running of the engine and the consequent warming up and movement of the tranny fluid was an essential break in step that was never done. I'll clean things up and check the pan for bolt hole warpage and see if I find anything amiss.

Real Name
    Lynn
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringGT View Post
    Lynn, in looking at the rear view of your two cars at the show, I think that your exhaust pipes are closer to the stock position than Knorm's. His are really snug up against the body and yours have more clearance. Look at the white GT in my garage pictures and where the pipes are located. The car was only a little over a year old in the picture and still had the original exhaust system on it.
    I agree Kyler's (Knorm) is up there tighter than factory. However, I think mine is still a bit lower than your white one. Will take a couple more pics and probably move this discussion over to my build thread.

Thanks for the reference photo.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I installed the new trans pan gasket and filter, plus the 2.4 trans/engine support today:

2.4 engine-tranny support and new trans pan gasket installed.jpg

Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I installed the new trans pan gasket and filter, plus the 2.4 trans/engine support today:

2.4 engine-tranny support and new trans pan gasket installed.jpg

Looks nice and leak-free. Did you ever figure out what that cottage cheese was when you removed the pan?
    As you noted, since it is aluminum, it cannot rust per se, but aluminum will oxidize over time, and could cause
    issues with uneven mating surfaces.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The stuff that looked so dreadful on the tranny came right off with the slightest touch of a razor blade. Beautiful, shiny, aluminum under the crusty stuff. The pan, however, had what appeared to be rust pitting and/or rather tenacious gasket debris. I had to work it down with a razor and ScotchBrite cloth until I was satisfied that it wouldn't interfere with the new gasket and sealing. The FSM said to torque the pan bolts to an appallingly low 7-10 ft/lbs and I criss-crossed the tightening with my best guess as to the proper torquing sequence. I settled on 9 ft/lbs of torque. I checked the pan flatness with various flat things and adjusted one bent corner. I then immediately refilled the tranny and took a quick 2.5 mile drive around the river near my house to warm up the engine and fluids on this 90* day, then back in the garage. I put a clean drip pan under the tranny and I'll check for drips tomorrow.

Sheesh! I'm glad I took the whole week off from work for pre-surgical doctor visits, I have to go to 1-2 different medical places every day this week. Surgeon visit, blood test visit, primary doc visit for an EKG I failed, another more thorough EKG tomorrow, surgery on friday. 3 hours from arrival at the surgical center, until I wake up and can get picked up after I wake up. My tenant took the day off from work to drive me there and back. I didn't have an explanation for the bad EKG and didn't remember that I had that issue before. Just a common slight time delay differential of the pulses on either side of the heart not going top to bottom at the same time. A common nothing problem, but they still have to check it. They want me to stop smoking 12 hours before the surgery. Good luck with that. Worse, they want me to stop smoking pot NOW, until surgery. Aaaagggghhh!

4,000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Today,I clean up my Opel Astra Coupe 2.2 as last ones in 14 years I own it.
    Now I will sell it to make place for a new Toy! I will get the new Toy next sunday!
    After 45 years driving only Opel sporty cars,now its time for a other German brand.The new Toy is also build in my home town Bremen.
    Last years I hope,a new Calibra or Commodore will come.Then the Buick Avista 2016 let me think all will be okay.But nothing comes up
    Opel is now PSA and not GM so they build only SUV`s and other Rommel cars like the GTX for the desert!
    Good bye NEW OPEL

Norbert
    PS.And today I hear,that PSA stopp the Adam also
    Last edited by norbertone.gt371; 09-06-2018 at 01:54 AM.
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

Schöne Grüße an alle Flachkadetten!

Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by norbertone.gt371 View Post
    After 45 years driving only Opel sporty cars,now its time for a other German brand.The new Toy is also build in my home town Bremen.
    One of these?

Downloads
    Uploads

Rommel Car

Norbert, Do you mean this is what 'Opel' is building now ?
    This Kubelwagen was not in the desert (see the Grass ), but at Fountain Hills AZ.
    Bill Hoffmann likes this.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I want a Kubelwagon!

Hmmmm.....that might make a good theme for my station wagon! A Kubelsportswagon!

Is that a whole line of Cobras I see in one of the pics?

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought I would dump this quote of a Facebook post I made here. Kieth had asked the question: "Did I get the cast iron engine/tranny support from him?" I got it from Charles, but it turns out that Charles had got it from Kieth who had modified it with some cut offs of gusseting extrusions that interfered with mounting it in a rear sump GT. Charles had also asked the question: "Did I notice any difference?" I had replied "None whatsoever." That's okay, I wasn't really expecting to notice any change, it's just a brace. So, then I decided to elaborate:

<<< It was a mutha to put in. I only had 2 bolts in the house long enough to go through the vertical holes. Almost had to go to the hardware store. American standard bolts go in from the side through the arms and I had a clearance issue with one of those bolts on the exhaust pipe side. It wasn't hitting anything, but I had to use a too short bolt on that side and I think it stripped in the block a little. I had to put a bolt in that arm's bolt hole before I lifted it up in place because my custom headpipe was too close and wouldn't let me angle a bolt into the hole The thick cast iron doesn't allow the bolts to wiggle or angle in the holes. That's great for keeping the bolts straight as you thread them in place, but the bottom 2 bolts were tough to fit in due to the bulge of the oil pan and the clearance between the block and my headpipe would only allow me to pre-insert a, say, 35mm bolt, when I really needed a 50mm bolt there. All the other bolts went in no problem, so there's enough support. With this part addition I was only seeking 2 things: Stronger tranny/engine connection and some hoped for, possible, drivetrain vibration reduction. I'm not bad in regards to vibration, but the car is a snarling beast. My exhaust absolutely rocks the Casbah. It sounds so badass. Gnarliest Opel exhaust I've ever heard, but not crappy badass, cool as schit badass. At least a dozen car show dudes have remarked that it sounds like I'm packing a jacked up 350 under the hood. Gordo is a happy boy! >>>

4,000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rrossjr View Post
    One of these?
    No
    Only one for a small wallet
    rrossjr likes this.

Schöne Grüße an alle Flachkadetten!

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    cant type.

went for quick drive in gtx around river before surgery.

had good time.

surgery went fine.

flirted and made jokes with nurses.

time to go back to bed.......

kevinfier and rrossjr like this.

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast