74 Manta 1.9 engine timing suggestions
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By First opel 1981
  • 1 Post By Knorm65
  • 1 Post By Bill Hoffmann
  • 1 Post By tfpopa

Thread: 74 Manta 1.9 engine timing suggestions

Downloads
    Uploads

74 Manta 1.9 engine timing suggestions

Hello fellow opelers,...i have a question, and it could, and will lead to other suggestions, which im open to, i have a STOCK 1.9 low compression "slug" 1974 Manta ..119K... it has this weird small slight quick "chug" chug chug
    as it accelerates thru all gears, (like a miss, but its not) and all rpm ranges, any speed...reminds me of a 19th century long stroke engine, almost a loping Lycoming aircraft engine,...(more gutless than ever)..NOT a dead miss or dead cylinder...i know it could be many things on a 45 yr old car, i suspect a poss flat cam lobe on the rear cylinder etc,...as it has never done this before. It idles like i have an Isky, or Crane H/P cam in it, sounds real cool at idle, but not....it lopes..people think its cool sounding at a stop light, but i know better, LOL...
    lifter adj?? It is bone stock except an electronic p/u in the dizzy, and a Weber 32/36 with a high altitude redline jet kit,..and i know there is no base line formula for jet kits, that will be another issue soon. (it also did this with the famed, and loved Solex on it) just before
    i re-installed my Weber on it......
    It's not an oil burner, ALWAYS starts no sweat, i now have (typical of my Weber, black plugs) even with the kit...and the mixture screw is now at only ONE turn out,...(turned in from 2.5 out)..no difference. Not to mention horrific mileage.
    No noticeable black smoke out the back upon acceleration, (weird, right??) (used to be before altitude kit) last yr,..but absolutely blows out all kinds of eco terrorist $hit as usual upon hot start up..dead birds everywhere...typical hot carb issues for an Opel,...
    So,...what the hell is this "lope"?? Worn cam lobes?...out of adj lifters??....Burned valve???? I dont think i have a serious or minimal vac leak, but will be looking at that like tomorrow,...has any one here exp. this??
    OH!! My other main point for this post,...i know Opels can be tricky on timing,...i did a rudimentary timing check,...i aligned the BB on the flywheel, checked that #4 (REAR cylinder) (with compression gauge) was on TDC, (plus physically checked) on compression stroke...then looked at my dizzy rotor,...it was NOT aligned on
    the dizzy case timing mark, we all know where that is, so the rotor was pointing at (on a clock) 10-10:30,.. .where it (i think) should be at 4-5 O clock (on the mark???) it was however pointing at #4 rear cylinder plug wire on the cap....Thoughts?? Good, bad?? Looks like
    it's on time to me,...but.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    10-1030 is about perfect for #4TDC. The notch on the distributor is for #1 TDC. You need to check timing with a light though if you want to really know what’s going on.

Im going to bet she needs a little valve adjustment. It’s easy on hydraulic valve engine like yours. I’ll see if I can find a link to the how to on it.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Knorm65 View Post
    10-1030 is about perfect for #4TDC. The notch on the distributor is for #1 TDC. You need to check timing with a light though if you want to really know what’s going on.

Im going to bet she needs a little valve adjustment. It’s easy on hydraulic valve engine like yours. I’ll see if I can find a link to the how to on it.
    Hello, and thanx for the quick reply,...ive timed it before, and was not fully confident i had it 'right"....(dizzy out for gasket repair) etc,....it has never "loped before" but i assume it is lifter / valve adj too, it just acts like it, cant tune it out.
    if you can send adj link, it will be MUCH appreciated!! Thank you for your time, and help!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Knorm65 View Post

You mention checking timing with a light, on 74's there is no timing gauge off the crank pulley,...75 Manta's had this, but not 74's...man, i wish mine had that!!
    Heres another idea, i havent a clue how old / worn my timing chain is,...just lately as i accelerate from a dead stop,..1st into second, and throttle up in second, bout half or more throttle, i hear a slight clattering coming
    from underneath my center console under or by the shifter,..it only lasts for a sec or so, .i assume it may be the sound of a slapping timing chain?? Its hard to tell with how Opel spent so much on sound deadening tech (LOL)
    Who knows,.. I do know however the best way out of all is a total rebuild. Which im down for,...i need to wake her up,...desperately (for me...LOL) Side note....wobbling distributor???
    Last edited by TomCat3; 10-27-2018 at 01:53 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hydraulic lifter adjustment...

Set cylinder at TDC.
    Turn lifter adjuster nut counter clockwise until it's loose.
    Then turn it just enough to take up the slack on the rocker.
    Then turn it 3/4 more turn.
    Intake AND exhaust on each cylinder.

Repeat for all 4 cylinders.

DONE!
    Knorm65 and TomCat3 like this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What First Opel said is correct! I like to do it with the car running personally, but his way is fine.
    HYDValveAdjustmentProcedure.pdf
    TomCat3 likes this.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bar the engine over to #1 TDC and clean off the ball on the flywheel through the window in the engine block on the passenger side. Paint the pointer with a paint pen. Disconnect the vacuum hoses to the distributor and cap the ports. Using a timing light, with the idle under 1000 RPM or so, adjust the timing so that the ball is on or below the pointer. On a low compression engine it will probably run best near the bottom of the window. This is assuming you have already adjusted the points and gapped the spark plugs.
    TomCat3 likes this.

Opeler
    Real Name
    Thaddeus
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TomCat3 View Post
    Hello fellow opelers,...i have a question, and it could, and will lead to other suggestions, which im open to, i have a STOCK 1.9 low compression "slug" 1974 Manta ..119K... it has this weird small slight quick "chug" chug chug
    as it accelerates thru all gears, (like a miss, but its not) and all rpm ranges, any speed...reminds me of a 19th century long stroke engine, almost a loping Lycoming aircraft engine,...(more gutless than ever)..NOT a dead miss or dead cylinder...i know it could be many things on a 45 yr old car, i suspect a poss flat cam lobe on the rear cylinder etc,...as it has never done this before. It idles like i have an Isky, or Crane H/P cam in it, sounds real cool at idle, but not....it lopes..people think its cool sounding at a stop light, but i know better, LOL...
    lifter adj?? It is bone stock except an electronic p/u in the dizzy, and a Weber 32/36 with a high altitude redline jet kit,..and i know there is no base line formula for jet kits, that will be another issue soon. (it also did this with the famed, and loved Solex on it) just before
    i re-installed my Weber on it......
    It's not an oil burner, ALWAYS starts no sweat, i now have (typical of my Weber, black plugs) even with the kit...and the mixture screw is now at only ONE turn out,...(turned in from 2.5 out)..no difference. Not to mention horrific mileage.
    No noticeable black smoke out the back upon acceleration, (weird, right??) (used to be before altitude kit) last yr,..but absolutely blows out all kinds of eco terrorist $hit as usual upon hot start up..dead birds everywhere...typical hot carb issues for an Opel,...
    So,...what the hell is this "lope"?? Worn cam lobes?...out of adj lifters??....Burned valve???? I dont think i have a serious or minimal vac leak, but will be looking at that like tomorrow,...has any one here exp. this??
    OH!! My other main point for this post,...i know Opels can be tricky on timing,...i did a rudimentary timing check,...i aligned the BB on the flywheel, checked that #4 (REAR cylinder) (with compression gauge) was on TDC, (plus physically checked) on compression stroke...then looked at my dizzy rotor,...it was NOT aligned on
    the dizzy case timing mark, we all know where that is, so the rotor was pointing at (on a clock) 10-10:30,.. .where it (i think) should be at 4-5 O clock (on the mark???) it was however pointing at #4 rear cylinder plug wire on the cap....Thoughts?? Good, bad?? Looks like
    it's on time to me,...but.....
    A simple compression check should show a bad valve,, or at least that it's one cylinder issue. It's also possible, that if your timeing chain guides are really that wore, your chain jumped time and your CAM now is out of sink... This you can check by pulling the valve cover and line all the marks up and see where the CAM sprocket is at. The rattle as you say,, maybe the worn out chain guides, however, when I had it years ago,,, you could tell it was coming from up front. Under the boot may just be the shift linkages rattling. New curved washer may help there..
    TomCat3 likes this.

Thread Information