For sale, cars & parts (sometime in the near future) - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: For sale, cars & parts (sometime in the near future)

Downloads
    Uploads
    With so much protestation, you'd think it was a done deal already on all three. …If the chartreuse car is so bad, make sure you save all the sheetmetal you can. If it is still there, cut out what is missing from the one car, front nose all the way around to the wheelarch midpoint, and most everything from the b pillar on back and the floor pans and whatever is good of the rockers and....
    "No, it's not fiberglass."
    "No, the motor is not in the back."
    "No, your friend in high school did not 'peg' his speedometer."

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

GT # 3 of 3

This is the most complete of the three, and even has some air in the tires.
    Interior is pretty much gone but I didn't see any structural corrosion. No rust holes observed.
    The way these cars are packed together and the layers of dirt make close-up inspection difficult.

The worst of #3 is the result of sanding paint and primer off exterior surface ( Yea, I'm gonna paint it some day )
    and then letting it sit exposed to weather. Arizona is dry much of the year, the Pacific daily fog doesn't come here
    but there are 2 annual monsoons with some pretty wet days/weeks.

So a lot of upper body sheet sheet metal has surface rust , some is quite pitted, no rust thru seen.

To sum up: The red one is solid except for 'cut out' , Chartreuse GT is most rusty (in lower front )
    Middle GT #3 is the most complete, only serious apparent damage as listed above.

As for lights, trim, interiors, etc, that stuff is available used or new from various sources.
    The same is true of mechanical components. No comment on mechanical issues here.

I am attempting to be realistic and not paint a rosy picture, but similar and even much 'worse' cars have been restored.
    So value to any of you may depend on initial cost, what parts you have or need, and time and money you want spend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads

More #3

These are last pics of these 3 GTs. I will try to answer any specific, or any general questions.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads

Notes on #3

First, a very big THANK YOU to Roy for taking the pics while I was taking notes!!! After we left the garage we stopped for a burger and discussed ... ... what we had seen. After I got sorted out, I checked OGTSource for info and determined the year of each based on the VIN # (as posted in #12).
    #1 (Orange) is probably a "late '72" (remember that the model year changed in Sept so August or late July). There is (1) 1973 rim on the car, but nothing else in the garage that we found.
    #2 (Yellow with a repaint in Chartreuse - check the engine compartment) is a 1970 model year.
    #3 (Green + rusty patches but interior was white) is a 1971 model year.

As Roy said, #3 is the best condition of the 3 with his comments about the severity of the exterior paint. So, starting with Roy's pics in order:

#1 shows the condition of the interior and most notable is the minimal amount of rust. Also notable is the lack of seats. There are 3 cars and only 2 sets of seats: the #2 car and the "never installed" newly upholstered set. First come, first served!
    #2 shows the rear bumpers and the back up light(?) chrome condition. Also shown is the only body damage (IIRC) but note that the trim ring IS damaged. The only tail light lenses are on #2 (1 missing there also).
    #3 shows a couple of cracks in the steering wheel and missing heater controls and radio.
    #4 shows the amount of rust, but most looks "sandable" (the worst areas was the upper rear quarters and a couple areas on the top - but my notes are now 4-5 days old). The grille is in place (!) and the bumper looks to be polish to finish, not rechrome (unless you are going to show) with good rubber.
    #5 not too much to add here except a better look at the turbine style wheels (all 4 look good - didn't see a spare). The dash panel in the rear window belongs in the orange car (#1).
    #6 is a better look at the good part of the rear quarters, left door, and wheel. The gas cap is NOT a locking type.
    #7 What can I say (except that I wouldn't mind having those wheels on my car)?
    #8 As they might say in a court of law, "Question asked, question answered!"
    #9 & #10 A couple of shots of the box we were shooting around in earlier pics. There are 3 trim rings in the box and all looked OK, but I didn't pay too much attention. The 4th ring was found in another car so there is a complete set. Neither Roy nor I knew what the other caps in the box were for? Manta or ?? (We didn't think they were GT and all 8 had OPEL on them>) There are 4 of the small caps with the holes for the wheel bolts, all would respond to a good polishing, but a couple would still need work ("20 footers", if you know what I mean). There are 4 of the larger caps which were "adorned" with the Blitz but seemed to be bigger than 13", but might be full wheel rather than "center" caps.

OK, now for a couple of last details: the seller is out of town for the week, returning Friday and I am leaving Friday and returning on the following Monday (April 29). After that I will be available to help get these things moved for about 1 week, then I need to get ready for a 3+ week trip to Ireland and Scotland so will be of limited use. The seller really wants these things out of the garage so I am volunteering to "hide" them behind my garage for a while but they would have to be "GONE" by the first of July (or I am sure that I will be - or so my wife tells me!). That means that they must "disappear" from my yard between June 15 (after I return from Europe) and July 1. As you know, Matt is interested in #1 and possibly #2 but it will be a 50+ hour round trip (by my calculations) and he still has some unanswered questions. I am going to try to determine if the seller would sell 1 or 2 instead of all three, hopefully I will have an answer on Monday. If you are interested, PM me and I will give you his cell phone number (with his permission) to ask your own questions. He is not an Opel guy and the only reason these cars are not already crushed is that he knew his brother would not have wanted that, but time is passing.

Legal BS - Neither Roy nor I are experts on cars in general and, although owners of similar vehicles, these cars in particular. We "examined" them in close quarters under a cover of dust. While we attempted to do a good job, we cannot be held responsible for anything we missed. OK?

Doug

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bumping this one up (for the next week) then they will be gone to the scrapper! ... ... ... ... ...

The more I think about this I think Matt is crazy! (Sorry Matt, this whole thing is getting to me!) I'm going to throw some numbers out there and everyone else can tell me that I am crazy also. I think my numbers are probably on the high side so before you tell me that, I already know (but tell Matt that so I have some support).

The orange car (AKA #2): Pluses - a good exterior body and good glass. Minuses - The floor and firewall have been drastically cut away. There is NO interior. 3 non-stock wheels, 1 stock '72 (car is a late 71 IMHO). This car is worth a MAXIMUM of $200.

The yellow car (AKA #1 or chartreuse): Pluses - Has a title!, a complete interior (damaged door cards but there), complete dash assy (cracked pad but not severe), excellent steering wheel, bumpers F&R good and complete w/overriders, 3 tail light lenses, good doors, hood, & rear body Minuses- Rocker panels and battery compartment floor nearly non-existent (rust), no windshield or rear window (& possibly pass side door window). Engine is not installed but in the compartment, transmission is on floor (maybe the right one) w/o bell housing. The engine is no concern to Matt but needs to be included, the trans would be of value and the bell housing isn't necessary to him either. This is another $200 car - lots of parts, but not hard to get ones!

Newly upholstered seats - never installed in anything, probably came from orange #2. These are also about $200 (or more?).

"Other factors" - the bottom line here is that #1 has almost everything #2 needs to be used. It will be a LOT of work.
    It is a 48 hour drive (round trip - driving time without stops!) Plus time loading and reviewing what else he needs from #1 (I will be able to remove some stuff, but am running into time constraints of my own.) He has calculated about $1000 for trailer rental and travel $$.

My final analysis (arrived while I was supposed to be sleeping last night) is that it is time to call Todd (Opels Unlimited) or (Gil) OGTS and let them have the package (probably $500 for them) but the seller is rid of all 3 and it hasn't taken any more time and he has a small return to cover other expenses. The cars are not scrapped and the parts may end up on one of our cars later!

Any comments, plus or minus?
    Last edited by slracer; 04-22-2019 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added "Afterthought"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for doing all this work to try to save these cars.
    What do you feel would be a good price for the #3 car, incomplete, as it sits? Is there a title for that one?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I am happy to pay less.

I did find a couple nearer to home, but they're field finds in the Canadian prairies. And by prairie I mean, borderline swamp. Opel-shaped planters at this point.

Much later into the summer and I'm too busy to go on field trips and I kinda want something to work on this season. Condition of body matters to me, and to get something dry I'm going to have to travel regardless, or pay for something babied in a garage. I'd rather pay more in gas to go pick it up than pay more for something up front.

My concern is the (lack of) title. Doing my research there, it's probably 3 or 4 different bureaucratic fortresses to satisfy and possibly a 1 month wait. Everyone was closed over Easter, so, doing that now-ish.

Doug, if you've soured on your keenness to convert your land into a short-term rust storage facility, no worries if you want to be changing your mind. I'm at the mercy of your excitement on this.

And if anyone wants to talk me out of it (or offer me alternatives) I'm all ears.

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Trying to pickup loose ends, I'll make comments on this post in RED next to the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by MattsAwesomeStuff View Post
    Thanks Doug and Roy for going on a scavenger hunt! I'll slip you guys some gas money to encourage your expeditions. No $$ required!

Despite the fact that Orange car has been tidily filleted for delicious V8 Cordon Bleu, I don't think that scares me off too much. I'm no fabricator, but I can almost weld with dignity and I have a cheap bending brake. I own hammers. I think I can make patchs (he said, hoping to avoid hubris). Especially since the whole interior is gone and I'd need to replace it anyway. See previous post about car #1

The lack of tranny doesn't scare me off too much either, I guess I can make a generic different one from a junkyard fit a driveshaft. The tranny on the floor doesn't have a bell housing but you probably wouldn't use the stock one anyway (I'm not an EV drivetrain knowledgeable person.)

Of the unknown parts in the bins I'd like enough to make a car out of the Orange one (also, presuming that's where said parts in bins came from if they're missing). The seats for example, yes. As the other 2 cars have seats, they probably came from this car.

I feel like I might not know enough in terms of automotive knowledge to even ask the right questions. Not necessarily questions just for Doug or Roy, just general questions that those of you who've done restorations would know the hurdles of...

What would be missing from the Orange car that I would need to find or fab? Biggest problem IMHO would be the floor and firewall. That might be supplied by the #1 car?

- I presume that's the hood leaning against the garage wall? Yes, looks to be undented.
    - All 4 rear light assemblies were missing, were they laying about? Not that we saw but there are supposed to be boxes inside the house?
    - Is the steering column intact? No visible damage, but no keys and ?? functional.
    - Was there an ignition? Keys? No to the keys but didn't notice, sorry!
    - Is there a steering wheel? In pic#5 it seems you can also see one through the windshield, but there's also a bonus steering wheel on the floor? All 3 cars had steering wheels so that is apparently a spare.
    - What are the chrome bits sitting loose on the front quarters? Headlight trim? Wheel trim for 3 wheels with the 4th one in a box in #3. I think it would be for the '72 model year but none of these are '72 so maybe '71 style - like the new member from San Diego.
    - By "dash" that's likely sitting in the neighbor car, does that include the heater/blower/vent stuff? No, didn't see any and the #3 car is also missing those pieces. They are only on the #1 car.
    - There's tires on it, I presume there's front and rear suspension attached to them? The car appears to be sitting at a "normal" ride height for having flat tires.
    - Are the door cards gone? There? Doable for an amateur to remake? No door cards. The basic pieces are easy (flat cardboard material, easily available) but the trim piece for the top of the door is not easy to find (OGTS is offering to buy them from people who have spares so they can make new door cards.
    - Any other "Hey did this obstacle even cross your mind?" stuff? The 3000+ mile round trip with a trailer does cross my mind!

One last positive (maybe): if you buy both #1 & #2, I MIGHT be able to pull a lot more parts off and have them available in August. At that time I will be at the Bonneville Salt Flats with my pickup truck (not too OVER-loaded) and could meet you there. Another, more remote, possibility is that a friend on mine MAY be there (he had heart problems there last year and he has a larger trailer and lives in southern Idaho. I might be able to get him to take them home with him. I designed an aero package for his motorcycle and he would have been the first 200 mph bike with a sidecar except for his trip to the hospital (via helicopter) last year. 193 & 195 mph tuneup runs setting another new record. No promises as there are a lot of what ifs involved!

Lack of title hurts, I have to explore more about just how strict border agents would be to import it into Canada. Some procedural descriptions say flat out, no title, no export/import, give up. Maybe that's not as strictly true on an old cheap car versus something new where it would be more expected and less excusable to be lost. Some states have "lost title" replacement processes, some may allow sworn affidavits, etc. Maybe since this is an executor sale, and the courts have already agreed that the seller is authorized to sell these vehicles owned by his deceased brother without having provided the court titles, that statement from the courts would be accepted. Lack of title probably doesn't hurt locally, as the province I'd cross into doesn't even have titles, there's no way to prove you own a vehicle, a bill of sale is all that's needed to reg. It's just a matter of getting it over the border which requires approval from both nations. I'll have to learn about Arizona specifically for lost title title replacements. I have to go to the Auto Club today about my Scotland trip, I'll try to find out about AZ.

I'm actually quite excited at the aspect of rescuing a dead car rather than converting an intact one.

Thanks again Doug and Roy.

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I am happy to pay less.

I did find a couple nearer to home, but they're field finds in the Canadian prairies. And by prairie I mean, borderline swamp. Opel-shaped planters at this point.

Much later into the summer and I'm too busy to go on field trips and I kinda want something to work on this season. Condition of body matters to me, and to get something dry I'm going to have to travel regardless, or pay for something babied in a garage. I'd rather pay more in gas to go pick it up than pay more for something up front.

My concern is the (lack of) title. Doing my research there, it's probably 3 or 4 different bureaucratic fortresses to satisfy and possibly a 1 month wait. Everyone was closed over Easter, so, doing that now-ish.

Doug, if you've soured on your keenness to convert your land into a short-term rust storage facility, no worries if you want to be changing your mind. I'm at the mercy of your excitement on this.

And if anyone wants to talk me out of it (or offer me alternatives) I'm all ears.
    Matt, I was working on another post from you and just finished, it may help with my thinking!? All I was thinking is that with $1000 travel expense you should be able to do better on a car with the same money closer to home. (I hope I am not interfering, but contact Keith Wilford - kwilford ID here on the forum - who is a Canadian neighbor of yours and forum moderator, I think.) I am not worried about the short term storage, just the time involved in getting the parts you need to start your project removed from the #1 car. I have never cutout a firewall and I am not sure of what the drive train tunnel structure involves. Remember that these are unit body vehicles so those pieces are structural members in bending and torsion. I think #1 could supply most of it (not the right side floor) but the condition of the underside is still unknown. The back 1/2 of the car is really pretty good so I feel somewhat confident. I bought a Mustang stamped floor panel to use on my Gt but GT panels might be available now? Haven't done it yet as my Bonneville project has usurped the GT in priority.

Doug
    Frozen Tundra GT likes this.

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelbits View Post
    Thank you for doing all this work to try to save these cars.
    What do you feel would be a good price for the #3 car, incomplete, as it sits? Is there a title for that one?
    It appears to be in the best shape of the chassis-wise and the body is also pretty good (one area of damage pictured). The extent of the rust troubled Roy, but it didn't appear to be bad to me. (But all I see are the TV shows where they sand blast, seal and coat with a THIN layer of Bondo (which should cover the pitting in those areas in my mind), and those are relatively high dollar drivers. The drive train is in place (functional?) and there are no seats but the dash appears to be complete (and in the one partial view, no cracks I can see). The key is in the ignition. There is no back window. There is also a pair of vice grips attached to the brake lines at the firewall ...? If my other prices were anywhere close, I would say $400-450, as is, where is.

Thinking "ahead" a little, if you like the turbine wheels, OK. If not, there are 4 good wheels of the right year (+/-) on #1 (yellow) that you might work a deal with Matt or if he doesn't buy, buy yourself. The seats are missing but again, the #1 car has a set which seemed to be still soft (at least where I squeezed them). One of you could have the new set the other #1. Also looking at needs, Matt needs none of the drive train items in the pile of parts so those could go all to you (value ?? probably not much but the header looks interesting to me.) Some negotiating room?

Doug

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    contact Keith Wilford - kwilford ID here on the forum - who is a Canadian neighbor of yours
    I've chatted with Keith a bit over email actually. I take him to be the most accessible Western Canadian expert. He told me about the (overpriced) one, I asked the seller about it, he wanted $3500 for one in not much better condition than the Yellow Charteuse and was not willing to consider less than $2k (still for sale a month later). I was ready to pay $1500 for one in similar condition (sold before I got to it). So, ~$1000 in travel plus ~$500 in cars, and a 3 day trip isn't so bad I don't think. If this was a lifelong project I would be patient, but it's more "I want to do this this summer" project.

I also wonder, if I take the standard U-Haul trailer, but back the first one in... if there'd be room to jig $50 worth of 4x4s and lift and snuggle the noses of two cars in there, one underneath the other, and somehow squeeze both on the deck. One is missing an engine after all. Or, maybe remove F/R suspensions, stack them behind on the ramp, and then flip the second (Orange) empty opel body upsidedown over the heavier one on a 4x4 frame. Honestly how much could the body and glass possibly weigh at that point? Could probably keep it down under 6' height. Just renting a normal trailer might be an option too and doing the same. Don't want to rent a truck, mileage fees would kill me.

just the time involved in getting the parts you need to start your project removed from the #1 car.
    I think Keith actually mentioned in an earlier barn find post that, they didn't have a trailer so him and a friend field-stripped the car of everything they wanted instead. I presumed in a day.

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    ....I hope I am not interfering, but contact Keith Wilford - kwilford ID here on the forum - who is a Canadian neighbor of yours and forum moderator, I think... Doug
    Thanks Doug. Matt and I have chatted via e-mail, and we have a mutual friend, John Warga aka ftl here on OGT.com.

I went on an Opel parts acquisition trip to Sweetgrass Montana with John and Sterling Rempel last month, and stopped in to see the Opel GT in Lethbridge that Matt went to see. It actually might be a good choice for Matt, as it has had a pretty crappy early-'90's Toyota engine swap that is likely beyond repair. It is quite rusty, but is pretty complete.The interior and dash are shiite, but we have a couple repairable dashes and quite a few spare interior and other parts in the Calgary Opel Parts Co-Op, plus a complete parts GT. The main problem is the owner, Terry, wants $3500 CAD for a car worth no more than a few hundred. Or less. I see that it is still on kijiji (Canuck Craig's List)

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...equestSource=b

The kijiji photos look better than the car in real life. Here are some more photos I took, with most of the obvious warts. Comments are always welcome. Unless they are disrespectful, and then I'll swing the hammer of Thor and smite yee disrespecters
    Last edited by kwilford; 04-22-2019 at 04:52 PM.
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT; next up is my 28,000 mile Garage Find GT, stored since 1975, which needs a LOT of love...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilford View Post
    and stopped in to see the Opel GT in Lethbridge that Matt went to see
    Never went to see it. Just called the guy. Pics are the first I've seen of it other than his ad which had photos from 5 years ago when he bought it (has since been updated).

it has had a pretty crappy early-'90's Toyota engine swap that is likely beyond repair.
    Or as the owner put it, "I'm not sure if that's the original engine". Which I took to mean "I definitely know it's not the original engine, but maybe you won't notice and I consider this fair disclosure."

wants $3500 CAD for a car worth no more than a few hundred.
    And I'm still renting a trailer and taking time off work to pick that one up and haul it hundreds of miles.

Heck, even if it was $1500, heck.. even less, I'd still prefer the one with the tranny trap door. I can weld an interior. Welding an exterior means bodywork, full paint, and *shudder*... sanding.

BTW, tell John next time he's back in Winnipeg there's a couple there on Kijiji too. I'll get around to them eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by slcracer
    you might work a deal with Matt or if he doesn't buy, buy yourself.
    Oh, anything I don't need is free to whoever helps the package deal happen. Happy to share the "wealth". Or sell it to him yourself Doug and keep it for lot storage fees, or Wife Appeasement Fees or whatever it ends up being :P

In other news, title might not be too big an issue. One cannot remove a VIN from a vehicle (the firewall specifically), but one can replace every part of the body in turn. And, the Charteuse vehicle needs to keep the firewall (Orange cannot donate a firewall, it's got a hole cut in it), and could accept the rest of the body parts off of the Orange vehicle. But that means getting both the Charteuse and the Orange car to the border. In some states this even has a special designation, "body swap" with a variety of procedures to make it happen (sometimes a "rebodied" brand, sometimes a new VIN is issued). I'll have to check locally.

Getting "car parts" over the border is a fairly easy. But they don't like "car-amount of car parts". I'm not sure why, because you still need a title.

Ideally the Arizona has the decedent as the last title holder, in which case it's only a $3 reprint. If he's not, then it's a registered letter to each previous title holder and 30 days to reply with proof they still own the vehicle, then bondsman for a bonded title, and an extra $100. Just hoops.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, so, Arizona Department of Transportation says...

- A title search is not information that's given out publicly.
    - Only the owner of the vehicle can ask for that.
    - It has to be done in person.
    - The process is that the owner shows up asking for a replacement title, and, it'll either be approved instantly because it matches said owner (hurray), or denied instantly.
    - If denied, you have to go through a bonded title process, which involves the previous owner search and the 30-day mailout.
    - I can't do this from Canada.
    - I can't do this because I'm not the owner.
    - If I bought the car, I can be the one that does this.
    - But even with a bill of sale, I don't legally own the car until I have a title. But if I think I'm legally the owner, I can ask for a bonded title and start the process, because that process is the process that determines if I'm the owner.
    - The owner is deceased, so, there's some "Probate" package the executor will have to bring in with him that proves he's in charge of the estate, and then fill out the information in the deceased's name. Then transfer the title to himself, then transfer the title to me. If he chooses not to do this, I can still do the process myself with a bill of sale, but it kills any chance of just getting the $3 replacement title if the decedent was in fact the title holder and the executor just can't find the paperwork in the hoarder house.

So, depending on whether Doug (on a package deal) or myself speaks to the seller next, that's the short way to maybe getting a title. Show up in person at any DMV, with the court paperwork proving he's the executor, request a replacement title, be very polite to the people at the desk who can maybe swing some other things in your favor and save you some time, and then see if the deceased had a title. Maybe it's in a wife's name, maybe a kid's, maybe an uncle's, you'll never know but maybe the lady at the DMV might accidentally let you see the screen of previous owner names so you'd know who instead should go fill out the paperwork according to the DMV. That kind of thing.

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Matt, I'll be in one of my local Auto Club of So Calif offices working on our late - May to mid - June trip to Ireland and Scotland today (Tuesday) so I will see if any place outside the Motor Vehicle Dept is authorized to do any of this. I sent you the seller's name and mobile phone number in a PM so if a strange call comes through you will know who it is. He is an architect, not a lawyer and is in Texas this week. He said to call him if I (or any buyer) wants any info, but he doesn't know much about the cars themselves. I will call him after the Auto Club visit when I have questions. I was given the name of a title company when I was working on getting my CA titled 1952 MGTD out of a 15 year storage so I can try them also. What a surprise, they are near each other and the MVD. I will also check on Opelbits to see if he is 10-90, 50-50, or leaning heavily. He is 1500+ miles away also. Maybe we can get this wrapped up mid week next week? Looking forward to meeting you!

Doug

Downloads
    Uploads
    At this point, I'm unlikely, but I still think the green car looks the most attractive even though it isn't the most attractive looking.
    slracer likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At this point, I'm unlikely, but I still think the green car looks the most attractive even though it isn't the most attractive looking.
    So, should I coordinate with you, or, are you out?

Or, are there constraints (i.e. title) or complexities (parts you want from other vehicles) that are necessary for you to be interested?

My impression is that the seller just wants them out of the garage. That likely has more value to him than keeping a car. I may make a package deal. If, at absolute worst, on pickup day I make 2 trips to the junkyard to dump a corpse instead of just 1, oh well. Since that's about a month away at soonest, I have some time to figure out other options.

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So, should I coordinate with you, or, are you out?

Or, are there constraints (i.e. title) or complexities (parts you want from other vehicles) that are necessary for you to be interested?

My impression is that the seller just wants them out of the garage. That likely has more value to him than keeping a car. I may make a package deal. If, at absolute worst, on pickup day I make 2 trips to the junkyard to dump a corpse instead of just 1, oh well. Since that's about a month away at soonest, I have some time to figure out other options.
    Remember that I leave Phoenix on May 21 and won't return until Jun 13 (late at night). I don't think my wife can complain about the car(s) out back but you can't work on them for that month either.

I will tell Todd at Opels Unlimited and Gil at OpelGTSource that you have an "extra" car that they might be interested in as it is fairly complete and worth parting out. Also, don't worry so much about the #1 car as there are mechanicals and such that you might not want but we can advertise on the forum to give other people a chance (and reduce your "investment"). We are something of a family, and we even argue sometimes like one!

Doug

PS - If no one buys it, I AM interested in the turbine wheels! ... I really am confused about that car! The issue with the paint is not a game changer and the car is the most complete one of the 3? Any comments anyone (other that too far from the east coast)?
    Last edited by slracer; 04-23-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Matt-
    If you can get all three, please do so. It's not a parts issue. I have plenty and can get more (typical for all of us, really), but I am interested in a solid shell or nearly solid. If I ship a car, I need to make sure it suits my needs, this is one is probably just the other side of NO.

From everything I've seen, if I were you, wait until you get there to decide which car to target. Even though it looks rougher, that green one may surprise you. Plus, no worries about it being square and true after welding a spine back in place. That might mean a package deal and storing at Doug's.

If nothing else, if Doug is willing, take what you want and leave the body (ies) at Doug's for free for anyone that wants to come get it (them) by his deadline.
    Then again, if the green one sits at his place, he might start to get ideas about it...….not just the wheels!
    Last edited by opelbits; 04-23-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Matt- If you can get all three, please do so.
    I do not want all 3. I don't even want 2. I want time to pull what I need off of 1 and add it to the rest of the 1 so I have a complete 1.

But if the seller just wants them gone as a goal, and Doug is willing, then, that's suitable to me to pay for a package.

If I ship a car, I need to make sure it suits my needs, this is one is probably just the other side of NO.
    Well if nothing else, I'll snap a lot of pictures.

From everything I've seen, if I were you, wait until you get there to decide which car to target.
    They will definitely be moved out of the seller's place before I can ever look. And by the time I get there I will be in a mad dash to disembowel them for their innards in what, at that point will be 110 degree Phoenix heat, then a drive home.

One year a friend and I made it from Tijuana to the Canadian border in 21 hours total including an 8 hour stopover, in July with no air conditioning, in a Honda Accord that rusted through its exhaust pipe after the first few miles. All desert driving at night when possible. No tickets. Don't think I'd dare do it again, and, certainly not with a rented trailer in tow without a copilot & binoculars. Those days are probably behind me.

Even though it looks rougher, that green one may surprise you.
    So, I hate painting. I hate sanding. I hate cosmetics (because I can't make things look nice). I also lack skill. The green one needs all 3. Between annoyance, cheapness, and ignorance, my first efforts will likely make for an ugly car. The orange one has old paint, but I wouldn't be embarrassed to drive it for a year without repainting it.

Feature creep and the enemy of "done" being "perfect" is the death of all my projects. Too many ideas. So, despite all my "Oh, and it should...." ambitions, I think Job #1 should be shut up, get it running, and plan on gutting it some other year.

If nothing else, if Doug is willing, take what you want and leave the body (ies) at Doug's for free for anyone that wants to come get it (them) by his deadline.
    I'm sure Doug would be thrilled. And a chance to meet so many other Opellers! But he's married and married happily enough he's going on a vacation with the woman still, so, I'd rather not gamble with his happiness :P. One can only redirect so much wrath. If I turned his yard into flea market I imagine there'd soon be a fourth fleshy body to add to the 3 car bodies buried in the yard somewhere. A lady on a rocking chair on her porch sipping iced tea with a spade over her shoulder and a peaceful grin on her face.

Okay, so if everyone else is out, and it's just on me, I'll call the seller tomorrow and see what he desires and what he's amenable to in terms of DMV footwork to restore a lost title.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information