For sale, cars & parts (sometime in the near future) - Page 5
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: For sale, cars & parts (sometime in the near future)

Real Name
    Mike and Jim Shannon
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was not able to pull the motor due to time restraints - I wish I could have.

Those 3 cars were packed in there with inches on either side, all having flat tires. And there was a broken down ford expedition blocking our path out. Tires were swapped 2 at a time, first rear, then car was wheeled out on a floor jack (substituting tires) then the front tires were put on. Then used the floor jack to jack up the rear of the car and spin the car around so we could load it up. First the green, then the yellow. Pulled the seats out so chopping it up would be easier, and snagged the rear windows ( Doug said you wanted the pop out windows ), gave my rims to Doug, then had to hit the road. We did not have the equipment to pull a motor. If you are heading down this week, I will not be here. I am leaving Thursday and will not be back until next Tuesday.

If by chance you meant next week, I can make myself available to help pull the motor. One more thing, the plasma cutter requires a beefy air compressor, which Doug does not have (we talked). And my air compressor is anchored to a concrete slab and need 240v to run... so its not really moveable -

Looks like the horizon is in view - I will be over there tomorrow to help Doug load up your orange car....
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    A couple comments..
    one, I'm happy to see the green one has a home.
    Arm rest screws...are they phillips head screws or hex head? If Philips head, they are large phillips, a number 3 not number 2. A 2 will slip and strip but a 3 will probably still grab. If I sound confused on this, it's because I have dealt with both, but don't remember if it was GT, Manta or Mustang. Tighten first to get them loosened, they try to unscrew. May have to work back and forth.

Plastic and metal door handle trim should be the same. One screw behind them.

Sawzall would work just fine for cutting out the floors/firewall. Make sure you get long metal cutting blades. DeWalt/Irwin/Milwaukee.

No need for a hoist to remove engine If you have two strong men. Raise the front of the car to loosen everything you need to on the bottom leave just a couple loose bolts holding engine cross member to car. Set car back down. Piece of heavy pipe or Unistrut or 4"x4" post across top of fenders with chain to support motor. Drop crossmember. Drop rear of trans down first, then lower engine to ground. Raise car and drag out motor. I've used a piece of plywood with a chain or rope attached to the front as a sled to drag it out. Putting motor in takes a little more finesse, but can still be done without a hoist.

Oh, yeah, no steering dampers. Ever. Something was going on there....
    "No, it's not fiberglass."
    "No, the motor is not in the back."
    "No, your friend in high school did not 'peg' his speedometer."

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MattsAwesomeStuff View Post
    No backing out now. I now have 2 Opels (2 Opel corpses)! Soon to start a build thread here.

Years from now when people look at my past and try to determine at what point the insanity became tangible, they'll highlight this moment in time

<SNIP>
    </SNIP>

I suppose I could just take the doors themselves.

Hopefully someone else has better ideas, but mine (for me when I get there, you don't have to), in order, are:

1 - Tinfoil the bolt head until the socket would be so tight it has to be lightly hammered on. Might have enough grip. Impact it off.
    2 - Weld on a stub with a T and crank it off (cover door with wet rag first).
    3 - Dremel a slot in the bolt heads, bolt heads are now slot-screws (fat chance though if the heads rounded).
    4 - Drill out the bolts.

Actually, 1-3 are also non options! The heads are buried in holes in the side of the plastic arm rests and are not visible (still hard to see with a flashlight!). Can someone here on the Forum tell me if they are slotted or Phillips? I am looking at an impact driver so that it "digs" deeper as it tries to turn. I do have any with my GT and earlier (MUCH earlier) showed the BMW arm rests I am trying to adapt. As for #4, I think they are round or pan head so keeping the drill in the bolt (not slipping off will be messy and the bolts (screws) go into plastic (think hollow wall anchors) so being off center will chew up the anchors (probably the least to worry about).

Indeed, help.

Good news on my end, my dad's going to cover for me while I'm gone, and he's suggested I borrow his fullsize van (fits a 4'x8' barely in the back), so, don't have to stuff everything inside the carcass for transport. So, can probably make the trip down Wed/Thurs/Friday depending on how much distance I want to cover in a jaunt. Passport shows up Tuesday supposedly. I think my ducks are in a row.
    Today was bank day as I am ordering some British pounds and Euros for the trip and got some Canadian $ also so I have the money in hand for Jim (you must have gotten a good exchange rate as there is MORE than enough!) I will get a couple of hand written Bills of Sale for the 2 cars. AZ Motor Vehicle Department (actually Auto Club) said he will have to send the one title he has back to his other brother in NC who can then get it in his name so he will have a title that Jim can then change over to his name so that You can have a title in your name for the car you are going to leave here!

The tiny screws that hold the dash top panel in place are all pretty much rusted in place too but they got a couple of shots of PB Blaster so tomorrow with the impact driver, I am pretty sure the 6 (of 10) that are left will give up. No windshield sure makes it easier to get to them! The dash will wait for you as you will probably want a good look at the wiring. Can't tell you about the headlight wiring as the cable to the handle is stuck. One other piece of WTH news: 2 of the 4 seat tracks are missing, but both of the ones which lock and release the seat are here. I'll check with Jim tomorrow and see if he has found anything else. He did find 3 small pieces of the carpet set which were in a different box. Overall, I think you will be in pretty good shape (unless you wanted to restore this one!).

Plans for tomorrow are to get the console removed (somehow), the interior door handles and the dash pad. Hopefully, the impact driver will work on the arm rests so the inside will be pretty much stripped. Then it will be under the hood time, making room for the cutting operations. I am planning on leaving the orange car on my trailer until we see what you have as it may be easier to roll it across the ramps instead of up and down. The wheels on it (tomorrow) will be my 72 stock rims as nothing else holds air. I assume you are taking the 69 stock rims with you. You can put some cheap tires on them at home so you can roll it around. I haven't found a new key for the 69, but the one it has locks and unlocks the steering column so it is steerable. The 72 has no key and I haven't been able to try to find one as that car is still in someone else's garage. Maybe have a chance after tomorrow. Not looking forward to moving it with no steering!

Enough for tonight! -- See you soon?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks opelbits, we were typing at the same time! I'm going to try spraying something into the holes and vacuuming it out so I can see the heads a bit! I tried "Visual Opel" but it doesn't exist anymore. I thought I had a parts manual here somewhere, but no luck yet. (I am going to have to get organized some year!)

Good news is there is no transmission so removal of the engine will be easier. Also, no cross member if the angle the engine is sitting at is an indication. I'll get a better look tomorrow. Bad news is the 2 strong men part. Two men and a boy I can handle if I can find 2 men!

We will overcome!

Doug

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JShannon's73 View Post
    I was not able to pull the motor due to time restraints - I wish I could have. [...] If by chance you meant next week, I can make myself available to help pull the motor.
    Well, good news, it's staying with the car . At least, in the general vicinity. I guess do a 1-hour ABC and figure out if yours works. I mean, I might take it with me, but, otherwise it's going to snuggle in at Doug's place until you get back.

If I need to remove it to access the firewall or anything else under the hood I should be taking with me, I'll buy some 4x4s to make an A-frame and use my chain hoist to lift the car off of the engine. I used to be able to tip a 1200lb piece of equipment, but that was 5 years and about 500 cheeseburgers ago . Probably not high enough to yank a motor out anyway.

Tires were swapped 2 at a time, first rear, then car was wheeled out on a floor jack (substituting tires) then the front tires were put on. Then used the floor jack to jack up the rear of the car and spin the car around so we could load it up.
    2 working tires across 3 vehicles? :P.

What a pain, glad you made it work.

Pulled the seats out so chopping it up would be easier, and snagged the rear windows ( Doug said you wanted the pop out windows )
    Actually that was me, you asked and I said they were yours if you wanted them

Glad you'll find use for the seats too. Happy they're going to a good home.

If you are heading down this week, I will not be here. I am leaving Thursday and will not be back until next Tuesday.
    Yeah, this week. I could arrive next week but Doug's gone by then. And by the time he's back I'll be too busy to do anything other than drive, nap, and turn around so it doesn't gain me anything.

Except... US border export requires completed paperwork minimum 3 days before I arrive at the border (to leave). So if I don't have the title in my name by... well depends if it's business days or weekend count, but, getting pretty close to the wire there already. I could just rent a storage unit in Montana and come back for it some other day, but that might tip the balance to me going next week instead.

Wish the seller was a bit more dependable.

One more thing, the plasma cutter requires a beefy air compressor, which Doug does not have (we talked).
    I have like, 5 air compressors I've picked up cheap and fixed up to give away. I'll bring a 120v 2.5 horse one with a smaller tank down for Doug to keep. Flow rate won't be able to keep up steady and the tank size means it'll have to take 10 second sips between catchup, but, been there done that. Would only need it for the tricky places. Hopefully not at all, sawzall, nibbler, and drill should cover it I hope. Guess I'll find out.

I have a feeling I'll be spending an extra day. Monday is a holiday in Canada anyway, no rush to get back. If I leave Sunday morning and get home Tuesday morning that's fine.

Get a chance to check out the hub caps to swap and if you've got a spare tail lens for the one I'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by slcracer
    and got some Canadian $ also so I have the money in hand for Jim (you must have gotten a good exchange rate as there is MORE than enough!)
    Heh, I entered the amount in USD, it's the correct amount for you for the cars and extras you picked up. It's actually far short but you won't let me pay you for your time. Buy Mike a beer or two tomorrow or grab some lunch on me if you guys take a break. Wish I was there.

I think they are round or pan head so keeping the drill in the bolt (not slipping off will be messy and the bolts (screws) go into plastic (think hollow wall anchors) so being off center will chew up the anchors
    Hmm. If they don't come off, I'll grab a short piece of pipe or copper tubing to use as a shield. I'll hold onto that with vicegrips, then drill down inside it. If the bit skips off, it'll bump into the tube rather than tear up the vinyl.

The wheels on it (tomorrow) will be my 72 stock rims as nothing else holds air. I assume you are taking the 69 stock rims with you. You can put some cheap tires on them at home so you can roll it around.
    I'd like something nice for rims. IIRC the orange one had a single '72 rim and a bunch of misc ugly 13s on the other 3.

As to the tires not holding air... does that mean like, tires are rotted through or just minor leaks? Couple cans of green runflat snot, or, just forget about it? 2-wheel dolly is not advisable and only a full trailer should be used? I'll probably grab a car cover for it, but, condo-board busybodies will not want to see something on blocks, so, might have to hide it elsewhere until I get new tires on it anyway.

Not looking forward to moving it with no steering!
    It has a steering shaft and wheel doesn't it? Just flopping about but, should turn when told? Vicegrips on the column?

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It has a steering shaft and wheel doesn't it? Just flopping about but, should turn when told? Vicegrips on the column?
    The ignition key locks the steering column so we'll have to disconnect the column at the rack & pinion. Then "kick" the tires for R/L! I'm going to try it today on this one before I head over for the pickup. Another busy day! BTW - there is an extra set of pop-out windows GLASS ONLY in a box.

On the tires swap, because of the tight quarters on the middle car Mike put the rears on and then, using the shop jack on the front moved the car out of the "slot" and added fronts. Because of the non-driveable car in the driveway we (he) then rotated his car, again on the jack, to be pointing out toward the 2 wheeled dolly trailer.

For the second car, we removed the 69 rims and tires and put my 72 rims and inflated tires on. With room to navigate now we pushed it out pointing to the rear of the trailer that way. Trailer is a 16 ft flatbed so no problem. Pointing backward also made it easier to unload and re-position behind the garage. Jacked it up and removed the rims for use on orange today. I will leave these wheels and tires on for re-positioning to your trailer but you will have to leave them here.

Overall it was a bit of a pain, but not a big deal!

As for my time, by Sunday my wife will be wanting me almost full time as we leave on Tuesday and she will want everything done on Sunday so the "unknowns" (aka mind changes) can get done on Monday. I'll help when I can but that is why I'm trying to get as much done as possible now.
    Last edited by slracer; 6 Days Ago at 11:59 AM.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Update on red tape:

I spoke to a brokerage who specializes in this kind of thing. I got clear and definitive answers on what has to happen paperwork-wise.

1 - I must file for US Export 72 hours, at the exact border crossing I'll be using, before I show up at the border with the vehicle. All my paperwork must be done by then because that's what I'm sending.

2 - If the border crossing works weekends, (mine will), then 72 hours includes the weekend days. Whew. Breathing room.

3 - My broker doesn't work weekends. So, Friday afternoon at the latest, and it takes them 20 minutes to 2 hours to process and send it off. That's okay, since I was planning on getting back Monday/Tuesday.

4 - I must have a photocopy/scan/photo of the title, from the correct owner, who has signed it over to me (on the rear) with MY name. This has to be completed 72 hours prior to my arrival, it's part of what I have to send my broker.

5 - When I show up at the border, I MUST MUST MUST have an original copy of the title with my name on it. I don't need to get my own title (would pay taxes twice then), the previous owner's title with my name signed on the back is what I need do. That means the seller's other brother in NC who still owns it on paper, should put my name on the title, take a photograph, email it to me, then FedEx it or whatever to Doug's house so that I'm 100% certain to have it with me when I leave or I will get rejected at the border. I'll need this in my hand before I depart for home, so, Friday/Saturday?

6 - I'll need a bill of sale from the brother who legally owns it, to me.

7 - Anything I buy otherwise, a bill of sale from the seller (in Phoenix), with a copy of his Executor of Will or whatnot proving he owns the stuff is sufficient. Probably minor since I'm buying the car from other brother in NC, but best to have all paperwork.

8 - Whatever pile of things arrives that I will be calling a car, if it has a VIN that matches the VIN on the title, with my name on it, that's a car and it's probably fine. Even if most of the car is not from that car. As long as in that pile, a VIN matches title, I'm good. Whew.

9 - Export US probably won't care. They'll stamp and move on. No special building at my crossing, just go to the border.

10 - Import Canada is going to be picky. They have the authority to ignore the bill of sale and stamp any value they want on the vehicle that they think is more accurate. This only matters for taxes. I should be armed with a Kelly Blue Book and any other paperwork I can find.

Left a message at the seller's number, and, will have to be a bit more forceful about calling him until I get through to make sure I end up with the original title by Friday. Everything else is at least a bit flexible.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Her are some pics of a contraption I made to remove/install engines that would break down and fit inside a Mazda protégé four door....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Timbo likes this.
    "No, it's not fiberglass."
    "No, the motor is not in the back."
    "No, your friend in high school did not 'peg' his speedometer."

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh ****z!

Looks like this was posted about 2PM yesterday, just about the time I was headed out with an empty trailer to pick up Orange! By the time I got home, unloaded the seats to keep the varmits off, fixed some dinner (girls night out for the wife), popped the top on a nice cold 805 then cleaned up, I didn't even look at the computer! Some thoughts below in RED:

Update on red tape:

I spoke to a brokerage who specializes in this kind of thing. I got clear and definitive answers on what has to happen paperwork-wise.

My first reaction after reading this is WTH! My second thought was: what is a "vehicle"? Seriously, are you taking an "automobile" out of the US and into Canada? If you don't take the engine from the Yellow car you would have a large bunch of large parts but no engine and no transmission. Is this a LOT of parts for a "project" you are going to do, or is it a car? Check your brokerage company and ask HARD! Now the details:

1 - I must file for US Export 72 hours, at the exact border crossing I'll be using, before I show up at the border with the vehicle. All my paperwork must be done by then because that's what I'm sending. Is the same paperwork still necessary if it is not an "automobile", just parts?

2 - If the border crossing works weekends, (mine will), then 72 hours includes the weekend days. Whew. Breathing room.

3 - My broker doesn't work weekends. So, Friday afternoon at the latest, and it takes them 20 minutes to 2 hours to process and send it off. That's okay, since I was planning on getting back Monday/Tuesday.

4 - I must have a photocopy/scan/photo of the title, from the correct owner, who has signed it over to me (on the rear) with MY name. This has to be completed 72 hours prior to my arrival, it's part of what I have to send my broker. This title is for the Yellow car unless you think you can "mix & match". You won't have anything from this car with an ID number (unless you take the VIN plate (not legal to remove - in theory) and/or the driver's side door (with the ID sticker including VIN).

5 - When I show up at the border, I MUST MUST MUST have an original copy of the title with my name on it. I don't need to get my own title (would pay taxes twice then), the previous owner's title with my name signed on the back is what I need do. That means the seller's other brother in NC who still owns it on paper, should put my name on the title, take a photograph, email it to me, then FedEx it or whatever to Doug's house so that I'm 100% certain to have it with me when I leave or I will get rejected at the border. I'll need this in my hand before I depart for home, so, Friday/Saturday? The physical title is in Phoenix so it would have to be snail mailed to NC, signed, and then emailed/mailed. That brother is not well (unless I have brothers mixed up) so it may not be possible in short order. I believe that Jim has Power of attorney to sell the car so maybe he could sign for his brother?

9 - Export US probably won't care. They'll stamp and move on. No special building at my crossing, just go to the border.

10 - Import Canada is going to be picky. They have the authority to ignore the bill of sale and stamp any value they want on the vehicle that they think is more accurate. This only matters for taxes. I should be armed with a Kelly Blue Book and any other paperwork I can find. A few copies of the pictures of the yellow car might be useful if the donor means anything. I won't wash Orange so it looks bad! LOL

Left a message at the seller's number, and, will have to be a bit more forceful about calling him until I get through to make sure I end up with the original title by Friday. Everything else is at least a bit flexible.
    Update from here: After a few problems actually getting to Jim's place (minor but time consuming) we got my '72 wheels in place and dropped the car to the ground. The axle rotated around the positioning bars and moved the wheels against the wheel wells. The cause wasn't evident, but I'll be looking at it today! We were able to push it forward pretty easily (not backward) so it was loaded and I brought her (him?) home. I took a couple of pics in the backyard but when I downloaded I discovered that the keys in my pocket with the camera busted the lens so they are not "pretty".

I have stripped all the lights and bumpers from Yellow but made no progress on the interior issues. If you don't take the motor, it will be a lot less work. I will soak all the rear axle fittings (on both cars) with WD40 today so we can get them changed if necessary.

In one of the boxes of parts, there is a set of GLASS ONLY (no hardware) for the pop out windows.

Lots of small stuff running around, I'll try to sort and box.

Good luck with the paperwork! (But I really don't have much hope in the time frame!) -- Doug

PM sent.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    Is this a LOT of parts for a "project" you are going to do, or is it a car? Check your brokerage company and ask HARD!
    I asked about that.

They're likely to be unpleasant with a car-amount worth of car parts that's "not a car". Also, it would still have no title, so I would have to buy another donor vehicle in Canada (not too hard, I'm sure there's lots of never-again-a-car donors). There's no titles in Canada, so, if/once the VIN is in the system it's a non-issue compared to the border. The broker warned me about calling it "parts only" and suggested I call both sides of the border if I was going to even attempt that.

Ideally I'd like to do things "right".

This title is for the Yellow car unless you think you can "mix & match".
    According to both the broker and Arizona DOT, it seems just fine to mix and match. Bodies are parts. A body isn't a car. Closest thing that's a car is the VIN stamped (on the firewall? I heard that somewhere but now I don't know where and now I'm thinking I'm crazy, where would the VIN be?), and that's what the yellow car will have when the Orange body replaced most of the yellow body except for the firewall.

You won't have anything from this car with an ID number (unless you take the VIN plate (not legal to remove - in theory) and/or the driver's side door (with the ID sticker including VIN).
    I could take the door too, that's convenient. VIN plate is on the firewall, correct?

It's a little bit of semantics, but, I'm not removing the VIN from the yellow car and putting it onto the orange car. That's unlawful. I'm using the body (a replaceable part) from the Orange car to replace body on the Yellow car, except the firewall with the VIN and a few other panels. That's not me being sly about it, that's apparently fine as long as I'm not changing the nature of the car (I'm not, it's a matching body). Somewhat like Robocop.

I asked what percentage of the car has to still be the car to be "the car" but there isn't really any. If part of the car has the VIN, and my title matches VIN, that's the car.

The physical title is in Phoenix
    Well, that may actually be best. I'll email you about that.

I took a couple of pics in the backyard but when I downloaded I discovered that the keys in my pocket with the camera busted the lens so they are not "pretty".
    Oh no.

I have stripped all the lights and bumpers from Yellow but made no progress on the interior issues. If you don't take the motor, it will be a lot less work. I will soak all the rear axle fittings (on both cars) with WD40 today so we can get them changed if necessary.
    Awesome.

Thanks again.

Talked to a US Export Officer after I wrote the above. A very strict gentleman with generally bad news. He said the dash VIN not matching the frame VIN would be a serious problem because it looks like two cars and would be impossible to export. I asked what the essence of "a car" is and he said the frame. I said the vehicle is unibody, so body panels and frame are the same thing. To repair an extensively rusted body might not leave much of the original vehicle behind. It got a bit wishy washy after that. He suggested I consider bringing it up as parts, all the panels, all the internals, etc and moving them to another vehicle in Canada. I asked what I would have to leave behind for it to only be parts I brought across, and he said "the frame". I said body and frame are the same thing, so there's almost nothing I could move depending on that interpretation.

Then he turned a bit and said if I get a title in my name, rather than someone else's title with my name on it, he would all but guarantee no one would even look at it. However, because it's an old vehicle, there's a box that gets checked at the bottom for non-standard VIN, which means a certainty of detailed inspection.

Bonded title is probably out, he said that usually means you can't leave the state to register it elsewhere, almost certainly means you can't leave the country with it until the bonded period is waited out (3-5 years depending on state).

Called Arizona DOT. In Arizona you can't get a title in your name without registering, they're a twined process, which means it has to pass inspection to be driveable. I said it won't. She said good, because if it's missing an engine for example, they'll just issue a title for $4 and say I'm not allowed to drive it, which is fine. So, I'll probably do that. Also, if there's no VIN to be found anywhere, you can just get 2 levels of inspections (free, and $20), and they'll create a new title and VIN for the vehicle. Which... seems like the less authentic the situation, the easier the process becomes. I'd rather not do that though, doesn't sit right with me.

This was supposed to be the easy part. Haven't talked to the Canada side yet.

Looking like there's so much that can go wrong I might just wait until next week when I'm less rushed Have to decide in a few hours. More phone calls to make.

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I asked about that.

They're likely to be unpleasant with a car-amount worth of car parts that's "not a car". I sold a 1935 FIAT 508S to a gentleman in England, which is where it originally came from - long story, and as it was in pieces and missing pieces he suggested that I listed the parts and called the package "parts" - even though it had a non-original engine and transmission. Taxes were much lower and the import tax had been paid in 1935 so ... I hope to see him again next week and get an update on the rebuilding process! There was no title and I couldn't get it registered in AZ as it was "not a whole car and not running"! Also, it would still have no title, so I would have to buy another donor vehicle in Canada (not too hard, I'm sure there's lots of never-again-a-car donors). There's no titles in Canada, so, if/once the VIN is in the system it's a non-issue compared to the border. The broker warned me about calling it "parts only" and suggested I call both sides of the border if I was going to even attempt that.

Ideally I'd like to do things "right".

According to both the broker and Arizona DOT, it seems just fine to mix and match. Bodies are parts. A body isn't a car. Closest thing that's a car is the VIN stamped (on the firewall? I heard that somewhere but now I don't know where and now I'm thinking I'm crazy, where would the VIN be?), and that's what the yellow car will have when the Orange body replaced most of the yellow body except for the firewall.

I could take the door too, that's convenient. VIN plate is on the firewall, correct?

It's a little bit of semantics, but, I'm not removing the VIN from the yellow car and putting it onto the orange car. That's unlawful. I'm using the body (a replaceable part) from the Orange car to replace body on the Yellow car, except the firewall with the VIN and a few other panels. That's not me being sly about it, that's apparently fine as long as I'm not changing the nature of the car (I'm not, it's a matching body). Somewhat like Robocop.

I asked what percentage of the car has to still be the car to be "the car" but there isn't really any. If part of the car has the VIN, and my title matches VIN, that's the car.

Well, that may actually be best. I'll email you about that.

Oh no.

Awesome.

Thanks again.

Talked to a US Export Officer after I wrote the above. A very strict gentleman with generally bad news. He said the dash VIN not matching the frame VIN would be a serious problem because it looks like two cars and would be impossible to export. I asked what the essence of "a car" is and he said the frame. I said the vehicle is unibody, so body panels and frame are the same thing. To repair an extensively rusted body might not leave much of the original vehicle behind. It got a bit wishy washy after that. He suggested I consider bringing it up as parts, all the panels, all the internals, etc and moving them to another vehicle in Canada. I asked what I would have to leave behind for it to only be parts I brought across, and he said "the frame". I said body and frame are the same thing, so there's almost nothing I could move depending on that interpretation.

Then he turned a bit and said if I get a title in my name, rather than someone else's title with my name on it, he would all but guarantee no one would even look at it. However, because it's an old vehicle, there's a box that gets checked at the bottom for non-standard VIN, which means a certainty of detailed inspection.

Bonded title is probably out, he said that usually means you can't leave the state to register it elsewhere, almost certainly means you can't leave the country with it until the bonded period is waited out (3-5 years depending on state).

Called Arizona DOT. In Arizona you can't get a title in your name without registering, they're a twined process, which means it has to pass inspection to be driveable. I said it won't. She said good, because if it's missing an engine for example, they'll just issue a title for $4 and say I'm not allowed to drive it, which is fine. (I had the title for mine, but that is what they did. As you already know, when the VIN on the door didn't match (nor did the color of the door or the vehicle it came from) I showed them the actual door and they were happy.) So, I'll probably do that. Also, if there's no VIN to be found anywhere, you can just get 2 levels of inspections (free, and $20), and they'll create a new title and VIN for the vehicle. Which... seems like the less authentic the situation, the easier the process becomes. I'd rather not do that though, doesn't sit right with me.

This was supposed to be the easy part. Haven't talked to the Canada side yet.

Looking like there's so much that can go wrong I might just wait until next week when I'm less rushed Have to decide in a few hours. More phone calls to make.
    It was easier to put things in response rather than all here, see above in red.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information