For sale, cars & parts (sometime in the near future)
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: For sale, cars & parts (sometime in the near future)

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads

For sale, cars & parts (sometime in the near future)

I give up! I posted earlier in a parts tread that I was contacted by the brother of an Opel owner. The owner had passed away and left 3 GT's in his garage and he was trying to figure out how to sell them. I cannot find those posts now so here is a new thread!

It seems that I had contacted the owner earlier (through the forum?) and went to see the cars (it would have been a couple of years ago) and he had put my name and phone number in his address book. The brother found it with an "Opel GT" notation and called me. I was not at home (in So Calif for Christmas) and lost the info I scribbled down. My brain started to work again yesterday (don't worry, it for a short period only and no harm was done!) and I checked my "recent calls" on the phone and reconnected. The surname was Klein and he lives in the Phoenix, AZ area if anyone knows a member by that name. After talking to the brother, I got a very short description of the vehicles, but he admits that he knows very little for sure as the cars are "in the back of a very cluttered garage". What he does know is that there are 3GT's there. The "yellow" one is the best and the engine is good but he thinks it might need some transmission work. The "orange" car has a good transmission but no engine. The "third car" he thinks has both engine and trans but is the worst of the 3 overall "not in good shape" so doesn't know the condition of those mechanicals. I told him that I remembered going to a home where I talked to the owner and described what I could remember about the location. The brother then gave me an address that fit that description so I did see the "collection" a couple of years ago. IIRC, I thought there was "most" of what was required to make 2 cars of the 3 (which may have been the goal). The brother thinks that $3000 for the whole package is the right pricing area. I volunteered to take some pics and post a description (or give him the info so he could do the same). He says that the cars are pretty much "inaccessible" right now and he will try to move some stuff then let me know. Timing TBD but I will stay in contact with him and try to find this thread again when I know more.

Completely different subject, but next week is "Auction Week" here in Scottsdale. A couple of weeks ago, there was a thread (or posts in a different thread) about the Volvo P1800 and I had seen one outside my hospital a few days earlier so I posted to that. I cannot find that thread either so will add to this one. Bonhams has some really nice cars ($1+ million type cars) but they also have a P1800 and an MGA on the docket. Both are "No Reserve" and the MGA is expected to bring $30,000 to $40,000 and the Volvo $60,000 to $80,000! I always considered the 1800S (NOT the station wagon version!) as an "upscale" GT but, even considering the total production of less than 40,000 (not including the ES) those kind of numbers are beyond the wildest dreams of any GT owner! The MGA production was just over 101,000 (counting all models) so it is on a par with the GT but I have never heard of a $30,000 SALE for our cars!

Have a nice day! -- Doug

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

3000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Took me 20 seconds to found your post #4

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/genera...arts-sale.html

I go on your member name and then push "latest posts"

Norbert
    Gary likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Norbert, like Dudley Do-Right, to the rescue again ! Keep up the good work.
    And I like those flashing lights on your GT.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    <SNIP> ... <?SNIP>

Completely different subject, but next week is "Auction Week" here in Scottsdale. A couple of weeks ago, there was a thread (or posts in a different thread) about the Volvo P1800 and I had seen one outside my hospital a few days earlier so I posted to that. I cannot find that thread either so will add to this one. Bonhams has some really nice cars ($1+ million type cars) but they also have a P1800 and an MGA on the docket. Both are "No Reserve" and the MGA is expected to bring $30,000 to $40,000 and the Volvo $60,000 to $80,000! I always considered the 1800S (NOT the station wagon version!) as an "upscale" GT but, even considering the total production of less than 40,000 (not including the ES) those kind of numbers are beyond the wildest dreams of any GT owner! The MGA production was just over 101,000 (counting all models) so it is on a par with the GT but I have never heard of a $30,000 SALE for our cars!

Have a nice day! -- Doug
    The Volvo sold for slightly MORE than its maximum preauction estimate and rolled out the door at $82,000 plus 12% fees for $91,840 total cost to buyer!
    The MGA did not fare as well and just missed its minimum Preauction estimate at a $29,000 hammer price, or $32,480 "premium included".

If you are interested in any other vehicle: https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25101/

Doug

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads

Update

I was contacted yesterday and the seller is still interested in selling but he has not been able to get the court's permission as his brother (the Opel Owner) didn't leave any instructions. He has taken some pics and will send them to me so I can pass them on. He also said the cars "are not worth much" so his original $3000 package price is pretty open now. He also said he wants to "get rid of" the cars pretty quickly. I will post the pics here when I get them and will welcome discussion about "value". He also said that the tires were all 3 were shot so it will probably require a cheap set to be mounted to move the car. He also added that he found one set of seats that were "newly" upholstered but had been kept in the house and never been installed. Hard to tell what else he will find?

Doug

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm always skeptical of someones assessment of a car when they don't really know anything about them. What a guy in Phoenix thinks is not in very good condition might be a treasure to someone in the salt belt. Heck, most people think a rusty car with nice paint is better than a solid car with worn out paint.
    I'd love to find out the body condition, I'll be following this.
    "No, it's not fiberglass."
    "No, the motor is not in the back."
    "No, your friend in high school did not 'peg' his speedometer."

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I actually saw the cars at the owner's place about 3 years ago and nothing sticks out in my memory plus or minus so I'm thinking they weren't "OMG, wonderful!" nor were they "What a bucket of rust!" cars. I'll post the pics when I get them but the PO's brother runs his own business (Insurance) so he has other things to do. I'll try to stay on top of it but will be leaving town for a month starting mid-May!

Doug

Downloads
    Uploads
    Doug, I don't have money to spend on more cars, no place to store more cars, and really no time or motivation
    to work on any more cars. But 3 GTs are worth looking at and I would be happy to go with you to appraise them.
    I am able to look at them and take many pictures of good and bad points to help inform prospective new owners.
    We don't know where these vehicles spent their early years, people relocate to here from all over, but if they have
    been garaged in Phoenix for years they may be relatively rust free.
    nbrcrnchr likes this.

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads

Progress?

OK, I have an update of sorts. The cars are in the garage and the owner's next of kin wants to use the garage to "stage" the house and he wants to do this ASAP. He sent some pics of the 3 cars but nothing showing where rust might be hiding, etc. He is not a "car guy" and certainly not an "Opel guy". The pics were emailed to me on Friday night but I was in SoCalif for a funeral so nothing got done until last night. After a 6-1/2 drive getting home, it wasn't much that got done then either. So attached are the pics I got of 3 cars: orange (dayglow?), yellow, and primers. I don't know anything more than you can see, but send me a PM if you have any interest and what price range you have in mind. If anyone wants to throw out a price for anything, please feel free as the "owner" admits they aren't worth much but knows his brother wouldn't have wanted them scrapped. With no further ado, see pics below! -- Doug

PS - I don't know which car has which engine/trans or is without either/both!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads
    So, what I'm seeing doesn't scare me yet. Orange one looks like 71-73 with the pop out rear windows and a rear defroster window. Yellow/green looks like 69-70 with fixed rear windows. Can't tell on the middle car.

Floorpans and rockers will decide their fate, I suppose. Orange one has the look of a 'dry' car, not a scuzzy car from a damp/humid location.

It's a shame he's in a hurry, I'll be out there in Oct.
    Last edited by opelbits; 04-03-2019 at 12:41 AM.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    PS - I don't know which car has which engine/trans or is without either/both!
    From your notes earlier in the thread (if they were accurate and the seller was correct on what he told you):

1 - The "yellow" one is the best and the engine is good but he thinks it might need some transmission work.

2 - The "orange" car has a good transmission but no engine.

3 - The "third car" he thinks has both engine and trans but is the worst of the 3 overall "not in good shape" so doesn't know the condition of those mechanicals

I'm most interested in the orange one. Or the yellow one if the orange one is too rusted. But, for my purposes, no engine and rear defroster (Canadian Winters) is right up my alley.

Looks like there's going to be a bit of a task sorting bits back into their homes. If there's no seats in "mine" or they're wrecked, I'd take the seats too.

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads

Update - cars were seen, Pics soon!

OK, GTRoy and I had a good look at the 3 GTs for sale tonight (4/17/2019). Things are a "bit" rough, but there are possibilities (depending on how much work you want to do. Roy took pictures and those will be added later on Thursday, but here is an overview (modified from earlier notes). Note from the earlier pics that the 3 are side by side so it was difficult to see both sides of any one car.

Car # 1 - VIN 94 2070305, color codes 406 751. This is the only car with a title currently but the seller is still looking (he says his brother was a "hoarder"). This car is really Chartreuse, not yellow. It is the worst of the 3 with rocker panels and both sides rusted THROUGH and the floor, especially passenger side also rusted through. I think it goes without saying that the battery compartment is non-existent! There is an engine in the compartment, but not installed. Also in the compartment was a set of headers, but Roy wasn't sure that the flange was actual for the GT. There is a transmission in a pile of parts next to the car, but it looks "bad" and no bell housing is in sight. The seats appear to be complete and the vinyl is actually "supple" on the drivers side. Both the windshield and rear window were out (and not visible in the garage). The window mechanism in the passenger door seems to work but no glass appeared. The seat was so far forward, 1 turn was all that could be made. The driver side window was visible and, like the fixed (rear) side windows looked to be in good shape. The front bumper was dinged at the point, but OK and the rear bumperettes were straight and mostly shiny. The chrome (polished AL) window trim was in good shape and shiny. The 4 rims were of the variety with 4 rectangular holes and all 4 looked good, but the tires were not good. I didn't note the size, but they did NOT look to be 15" or ??

Car #2 - VIN 77 3244328, color codes 529 751. This is the orange car. This car has the best body of the 3 with minor or no rust on the floors and the rocker panel on the driver side showed little to no rust. Passenger side was difficult to see due to wall and the curve of the body. The usual rust existed in the battery compartment. There was NO engine and NO transmission, probably due to the amount of cutaway metal in the engine compartment and interior floor. (It appears that another V-8 conversion was underway and not completed!) Good glass all the way around including the pop-out rear sides. The hinges also looked good but not tested. There was NO interior but a dash panel in good shape was sitting in the rear window of the #3 car (which had it's own installed). The rear bumperettes were straight, but not as shiny as #1. I don't remember the front bumper, and made no note? Roy took some interior pics so the cutaway will be visible. 3 of the 4 rims were unlike any GT style I recognized and the 4th seemed to be the 1973 4 spoke style.

Car #3 - VIN 77 2460468, color codes 508 751. This the rust and primered car. Actually, most of the sides are painted in a non-stock green but the interior sheetmetal appeared to be a white car. This car appeared to be the most solid of the 3 with good floors and nothing in the rocker panels, however the condition of the body was cause for Roy (former body shop employee) to worry that the damage was deep enough that it might not be "paintable". The engine and trans appeared to be solidly mounted and complete, even a stock air cleaner with snorkel (and a Solex?). The shift lever for the trans was for a manual (I didn't look at the pedals) and the key was in the ignition! The glass all looked good but my comment about the #2 car dash being in the rear window makes me think the rear window was missing (and my notes say "w/s and door glass - OK". I am pretty sure that the rear side windows were in good shape as was (at least most of) the aluminum trim. Front bumper and rear bumperettes were in good condition, but like #2 were not as shiny as #1. All 4 wheels were aftermarket "turbine" style (wish they were mine).

Roy will send me his pics and I will attach them to new post(s). I may limit each post to just one car so if you have any interest, keep checking back. If you are interested in any of the 3, or other parts, let me know so I can try to work out a package deal. Include a basic offer and I will try to pull everything together. I am also "authorized" to release the sellers phone number to "interested" parties but he does want to sell the whole thing at one time. I have made the offer to the 2 I know are/were interested that I can move everything to my home (1.6+acres in a horse ranch area) and store it OUTSIDE under a tarp for a limited amount of time so arrangements to pickup or ship can be made, but critters have eaten the wires on my Tacoma pickup and gotten into my wife's Subaru Forester so no promises about keeping them out!

I do believe that 2 of these vehicles are salvageable and shouldn't go to the crusher so let's save them. Happy Opeling! -- Doug

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are some shots of GTs, especially the Red/Orange one, # 2 in Doug's detailed descriptions.
    This GT body looks well preserved. Human inflicted 'damage' at engine compartment could be restored, or used to install a '49 Buick Straight 8 with A/T.
    More pics of other 2 will follow.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I need these to expand my herd here at the Opel Ranch, but all the usual obstacles prevent that.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Doug and Roy for going on a scavenger hunt! I'll slip you guys some gas money to encourage your expeditions.

Despite the fact that Orange car has been tidily filleted for delicious V8 Cordon Bleu, I don't think that scares me off too much. I'm no fabricator, but I can almost weld with dignity and I have a cheap bending brake. I own hammers. I think I can make patchs (he said, hoping to avoid hubris). Especially since the whole interior is gone and I'd need to replace it anyway.

The lack of tranny doesn't scare me off too much either, I guess I can make a generic different one from a junkyard fit a driveshaft.

Of the unknown parts in the bins I'd like enough to make a car out of the Orange one (also, presuming that's where said parts in bins came from if they're missing). The seats for example, yes.

I feel like I might not know enough in terms of automotive knowledge to even ask the right questions. Not necessarily questions just for Doug or Roy, just general questions that those of you who've done restorations would know the hurdles of...

What would be missing from the Orange car that I would need to find or fab?

- I presume that's the hood leaning against the garage wall?
    - All 4 rear light assemblies were missing, were they laying about?
    - Is the steering column intact?
    - Was there an ignition? Keys?
    - Is there a steering wheel? In pic#5 it seems you can also see one through the windshield, but there's also a bonus steering wheel on the floor?
    - What are the chrome bits sitting loose on the front quarters? Headlight trim?
    - By "dash" that's likely sitting in the neighbor car, does that include the heater/blower/vent stuff?
    - There's tires on it, I presume there's front and rear suspension attached to them?
    - Are the door cards gone? There? Doable for an amateur to remake?
    - Any other "Hey did this obstacle even cross your mind?" stuff?

Lack of title hurts, I have to explore more about just how strict border agents would be to import it into Canada. Some procedural descriptions say flat out, no title, no export/import, give up. Maybe that's not as strictly true on an old cheap car versus something new where it would be more expected and less excusable to be lost. Some states have "lost title" replacement processes, some may allow sworn affidavits, etc. Maybe since this is an executor sale, and the courts have already agreed that the seller is authorized to sell these vehicles owned by his deceased brother without having provided the court titles, that statement from the courts would be accepted. Lack of title probably doesn't hurt locally, as the province I'd cross into doesn't even have titles, there's no way to prove you own a vehicle, a bill of sale is all that's needed to reg. It's just a matter of getting it over the border which requires approval from both nations. I'll have to learn about Arizona specifically for lost title title replacements.

I'm actually quite excited at the aspect of rescuing a dead car rather than converting an intact one.

Thanks again Doug and Roy.

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Matt, food for thought. The guy wants to rid of all 3 and wants to sell them that way, but if you can negotiate a deal you might be able to get 2 pretty cheaply, especially the rusted out #1 car (with the title). That one would supply a lot of what you need but I cannot tell now about the flooring as it was rusty down low (holes clear through next to the door on the passenger side)! I think the firewall was good enough to supply all that you need there (I hope we'll be able to see in the pics of that car). There are all 4 tail light assemblies (and 3 lenses). The steering column was in the orange car, but ?? about condition and #1 has one also. Yes, that is the hood for the orange car sitting next to the orange. Roy and I believe that the orange BODY is the best of the bunch. I didn't note interiors too much as all the door panels, etc are a "pressed board" more like a dense cardboard than and the rest is fabric. There is 1 of the vinyl panels that separates the spare tire compartment from the interior and some of the carpet pieces (mostly useful as patterns). Again, I hope that the rest of the dash pieces can be seen in the #1 (including the dash pad itself).

Roy, are you reading this? If you haven't already started, do the #1 car next please!

Matt, think about this? I don't want to push, but this might work for your needs?

Now, Opelbits, what about #2?

Doug

PS - Sent Cell phone number so you can make a contact and let him give you email (all I have used is texting).

Downloads
    Uploads

Chartreuse Challenge

Some pics of car # 1.
    Rear body panels and rear quarter panels look OK, but I wish I had been prepared to crawl under these cars more.
    The front 1/2 - 2/3rds of this one is dissolving. Too bad also, because it doesn't show any obvious collision damage or shoddy bodyrepair.
    The damage is all the result of exposure to nature. "Pics worth a thousand words" Engine is there, Transmission removed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    More Rust....and Some Parts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, the #2 car was the one that intrigued me the most and I had a suspicion about the firewall being cutout from the earlier pics you posted, but I thought I was seeing things.
    But, I can't justify the shipping cost of a car that has been cut like that. I don't need a complete car, a rustfree shell would suit me just fine.\
    I think this might be a good package deal for Matt... (everyone else chime in now...Matt needs three cars. Matt needs three cars. Matt needs..

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelbits View Post
    I think this might be a good package deal for Matt... (everyone else chime in now...Matt needs three cars. Matt needs three cars. Matt needs..
    No. No no no. Nuh uh. Nope. Nnnno. I don't have anywhere to put 1 car, nor a way to tow more than one on a trailer home. I'm going to have to rent a storage unit or garage until it's driveable.

I might buy all 3 and surprise Doug's wife with 2. Women love surprises. An unexpected gift at an unexpected time. I'll "park" them sideways across the driveway so she can't miss them.

I might buy 2 though, the Orange and rotted Yellow and strip the rotted Yellow during the day of all the bits that the Orange is missing, then scrap it before I return.

I've spent the better part of the day researching how to import (pretty easy), how to export (yes, you have to have permission from the country of origin to do this as of 2014, and it's not easy), and the various options and paperworks involved in replacing a lost title. I have like, 50 tabs of bureaucracy open on my browser right now.

I had a bit writeup on the options there but I cut it because it's boring and inapplicable to anyone other than me.

If I end up buying I'll document it in my own thread, where everyone deserves to be bored.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast