Is it supposed to work this way? - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Is it supposed to work this way?

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You're not using LED bulbs by any chance, are you?

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No LEDs.

I'm running out of ideas.

Here's what I've got.

The hazards work, except the dash indicators do not turn on. The flasher and exterior lights work.

With the car on the turn signals work for the exterior lights, but both dash indicators flash.

I had the hazards switch out and cleaned and checked it out. It seems fine.

I should probably pull the steering wheel again and check the turn signal switch. If there is a problem, that still won't explain why the indicators do not flash when the hazards are on.

Here's a big clue, the indicator lights share one lead that goes to the C pin on the flasher. The other lead is for the left/right circuits, but I checked and they are connected. That should not happen unless the hazards are on.

I guess I have more digging to do.

This sucks.

Mike

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm stuck. The only thing I've been able to work out is the problem is most likely in the rewire I did (replaced the fuse box box and the ignition switch). So, a shiny Sacajawea dollar for whoever figures it out. Quiet the prize! And my eternal thanks.

Symptoms are:

1. Hazards work, the flasher flashes and the external lights blink. The dash indicators stay dark.
    2. The turn signals work, the flasher flashes and the external lights blink, but both dash indicator lights flash, unless I remove one bulb, then the other one stops.

The only problem is with the indicator lights. Everything else on the car works.

After studying the schematics I can't think of a way to make this happen.

The schematic for the relevant circuits is attached. It shows the parking light circuit, turn signals, and hazards.

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mike
    Not sure if it has anything to do with your issue, But Gil at OGTS recently came up with a fix for both interior signal lights blinking when using turn signals.
    m610 likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, Gil does have a cure for that "Both Indicator Lights Flashing" when either turn signal applied.
    In my case the correct light would flash brightly once, then both would flash dimly.
    Seems there was a poor ground somewhere in the system and he had a simple rewire to correct it.
    I bought his simple wiring kit, installed it per Gil's instructions, and still had the problem.

Oh, with a '69 GT the lamp 'module' dosen't pop out of instrument panel like other GTs. But you knew that.

Anyway I called Gil, he said if I would come by OGTS during working hours and drop the steering column and
    instrument panel again he would analyze and fix the problem. So I accepted the invitation , and he fixed the lights.
    ..Again this is testing my memory, but I think that kit included a different flasher.

This was at least 5 years ago, but IIRC Gil changed something in his printed instructions later that applied
    to slight differences in '69 wiring. I don't remember any change to hazard flashers, but I may check those tomorrow.

When I look at a wiring diagram for too long I get dizzy so usually I just leave wires alone.

In about 1960 I had a one owner '46 Ford Coupe that I rewired with a NOS wiring harness given to me by the
    Ford dealer where I worked. I changed to a 'modern' ignition switch and got rid of the locking steering column.
    Everything worked fine, but now every car has locking columns, and many have push button starting !

Next thing you know we will go back to driving Electric Cars ! Yes, many were back in the day.
    Last edited by GTRoy; 04-15-2019 at 12:14 AM. Reason: spelling
    m610 likes this.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks.

I email Gil last night.

I too am now suspecting a loose ground.

Mike

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by m610 View Post
    Thanks.

I email Gil last night.

I too am now suspecting a loose ground.

Mike
    Did he say which ground to check. My fully rewired GT does this. The only factory harness is the cluster. The blinkers work fine, but the double blink still happens.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD

Downloads
    Uploads

Give Me a Break..or... Brake

Read this thread again today. I am only guessing, but I imagine that the ground may be thru Gil's 'propitiatory' flasher unit.
    I think it had less 'prongs' but plugged into original place at left center of instrument panel, above and rear of gas pedal.

Locking rear brake..Have you replaced that hose from body to rear axle, they swell from inside. Brake fluid may be forced thru
    when applying brakes but not enough spring pressure to push fluid back.. Locked brake ! ....Ask me how I know.
    One hose to each front caliper also. I'm sure you are aware of that potential problem, but may have not done it yet.

And this is for all Opel owners, those original hoses may look fine on the outside, inside they are totally clogged arteries.

Resident Whippersnapper ubernoob51's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alex Zaychenko
    Downloads
    Uploads
    With the stock flasher, if the hazards are on only the hazard switch blinks, not the indicators. This is absolutely normal.

Double flash though, could be caused by poor connections at the bulbs, or burned out bulbs, or corrosion where the wiring for the blinkers connects to the fuse box. Sometimes when my GT was not running and the turn signal was on, I would get a double flash.

Check and see how bright your blinkers are. If they appear dim, you’ve got a connection problem.
    m610 likes this.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Long time ago ... 2002:
    On my 71 GT, double flash occurred when headlights were ON, and GT was at idle (low RPM).
    When I upgraded to 1975 style 45-Amp alternator, double flash disappeared at idle

Have 65-Amp alternator conversion waiting ... until I have time to play with it.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not getting a double-flash, if by that you mean two quick blinks separated by the normal time interval.

The turn signals are working fine. Only the indicator lights are screwy.

I talked to Gil this morning. His flasher kit is on the way. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mike

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by m610 View Post
    I'm not getting a double-flash, if by that you mean two quick blinks separated by the normal time interval.

The turn signals are working fine. Only the indicator lights are screwy.

I talked to Gil this morning. His flasher kit is on the way. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mike
    I fixed my double flash today. Mine is rewired so my fix probably would not work on a normal GT. There are two wires for each indicator behind the secret removable warning light panel. (Push up and in and this panel will pop out). A black and yellow that acts as a common ground for both indicators, and a black-white wire for the right one and a black-green for the left one. The black-white or green wires are the positive feed from the turn signal (or emergency flasher).
    I simply spliced into the black yellow wire right before it reaches the flasher relay and added a direct chassis ground. Bam problem solved. Bright single lights even with less than 12v!

My guess is the black yellow does not ground well connected to the flasher relay thingy, so the other wire on the indicator somehow manages... you know what I have no idea lol.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information