Is it supposed to work this way?
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Is it supposed to work this way?

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads

While I have been an avid Opeler since 2008 I have barely any experience "regular" Opel GTs, or any "regular" Opel for that matter. Sure, I've sat in them, even driven one for a little bit, but until now had never pushed any of the buttons. So now that I've installed a replacement fuse box in a stock GT I have questions, because I don't know how things are supposed to work, and I might have made a mistake.

First question - with the car off and the blinker switch on, the front and rear blinker light for that side of the car are on, but not blinking. Is that normal, or is this that Euro thing I heard about once?

Second - that white light on the dash, the lower left of the five above the steering wheel, it is on when the car is on and the lights off/headlights in the down position. When I flip the lights up the headlights turn on and the white light off. Is that the way it is supposed to work? I'm guessing there is something wrong with the indicator switch in the headlights, but I looked (driver side) and they appear to be hooked up right (I compared them to another car.)

Third - There will be a third, I am sure of it.

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Mike's Opel Shop Site Supporter opellane's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by m610 View Post
    While I have been an avid Opeler since 2008 I have barely any experience "regular" Opel GTs, or any "regular" Opel for that matter. Sure, I've sat in them, even driven one for a little bit, but until now had never pushed any of the buttons. So now that I've installed a replacement fuse box in a stock GT I have questions, because I don't know how things are supposed to work, and I might have made a mistake.

First question - with the car off and the blinker switch on, the front and rear blinker light for that side of the car are on, but not blinking. Is that normal, or is this that Euro thing I heard about once?

Second - that white light on the dash, the lower left of the five above the steering wheel, it is on when the car is on and the lights off/headlights in the down position. When I flip the lights up the headlights turn on and the white light off. Is that the way it is supposed to work? I'm guessing there is something wrong with the indicator switch in the headlights, but I looked (driver side) and they appear to be hooked up right (I compared them to another car.)

Third - There will be a third, I am sure of it.

Mike
    The turn signal light are working normally, that exactly a Euro thing, it's used while parking against the curb while standing..waiting etc..A fancy Parking Light

The White light is telling you that the headlight buckets are not locking into place, either Up or down, it only lights up while your engaging the headlight bucket, turns off once locked into position, The Red Indicator light is from E-brake handle switch
    Hope that helps, Check each bucket manually to see if in fact there locking up and down... hope that some help,
    Gary likes this.
    MIKE
    ---------------------------------------------------
    1972 Opel GT, 1969 Opel GT, 1973 MGB,

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opellane View Post
    The turn signal light are working normally, that exactly a Euro thing, it's used while parking against the curb while standing..waiting etc..A fancy Parking Light

The White light is telling you that the headlight buckets are not locking into place, either Up or down, it only lights up while your engaging the headlight bucket, turns off once locked into position, The Red Indicator light is from E-brake handle switch
    Hope that helps, Check each bucket manually to see if in fact there locking up and down... hope that some help,
    The buckets were not locking in place. I'll see what I can do about that.

I tested the micro-switches and it is the left-most switch that handles this.

Third - The wipers do not return to their home position when I turn them off. That doesn't seem right.

Mike

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mike, Welcome to the 'real' world of Opeling.
    Soon after buying my '69 I pulled into my Apt parking lot with turn signal on, parked ( it was daylight ).
    Next morning battery was dead. Did some research, probably with online computer at 'work'.
    IIRC I pulled the horn button and cut a wire (maybe had to pull the steering wheel ).
    ..And you are right, that stay-on feature had something to do with on street parking. Narrow Streets maybe ?

The white instrument panel light should go off when H/Lamps are locked in either up or down position, or when key is off.
    Again this is testing my memory.

P S While I was reminiscing and typing you got your answer.
    Last edited by GTRoy; 04-10-2019 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Added a P S

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The wipers return to home after all. The slow speed selection does not work and neither does the foot-pump switch. Am investigating.

Mike

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the issue with the white light on when headlight ARE locked. Most likely a miswired micro switch. I’ve been getting around to fixing it for 5 years.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD

Downloads
    Uploads
    If one micro switch is bad then you will get the white light on when they are locked.
    In 1981 I had to replace my switches. 50 year old micro switches, exposed to the elements, aren't all that reliable.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opellane View Post
    .... The Red Indicator light is from E-brake handle switch...
    The e-brake lamp is only on GT's equipped with automatic transmissions. The red light in the dash cluster and the rocker switch indicate a master cylinder malfunction (when the front and rear brake circuits have unequal pressure) and when the rocker switch is pressed, to test the malfunction lamps
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT; next up is my 28,000 mile Garage Find GT, stored since 1975, which needs a LOT of love...

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The wipers return to home after all. The slow speed selection does not work and neither does the foot-pump switch. Am investigating.

Mike
    If it's anything like mine, the foot-pump switch also makes the arms swipe once or twice. If it is bad or not making contact, the arms don't home properly.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The white light problem is definitely the headlight bucket, not the wiring, and I spent forever today and can't get the buckets to work correctly.

Took the car out. There is some whine in the diff but not much. Brakes are good but on hard braking the right rear still locks up. I cleaned, inspected, adjusted the e-brake cable, and had the drums turned. Still...

And for some reason the turn signals quit working. The turn signal switch works because the left and right lights come on when parked, and the hazards work so that means the flasher works. Weird. It worked last week.

All other circuits work.

Mike

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm at work and don't have a schematic to look at, but I seem to recall that there's a ground in the steering column. Or maybe that's the horn or hi/lo beam that needs a ground.

The turn/hazards ground near the bulbs, right? Your bulbs work, so it's got to be loss of power BEFORE it gets sent to the right or left. It's got to be something that is common to both sides of the turn signal circuit, like POWER. Loss of power going to the turn signal lever switch?

Do you have high confidence in your crimping? Did all your new terminals fit tightly on the car's various spade connectors?

Dear Lord! You didn't put your new fuse box under the dash, did you?!!!!! You fool! Even after I told you not to! Well, this is a fine mess you've gotten yourself into.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the tips.

Those grounds are grounded.

I have no faith in my crimping so I solder every crimp connection I make.

I spent a couple of hours redrawing the flasher circuit schematic, trying to understand it. I think I finally do. The flasher gets it's power through the hazards switch. When the hazards are on that power comes straight from the battery via fuse F4. When off it comes through a distribution point on the dash. I need to make sure this second route is still good. I might have bumped something earlier this week when I had the dash out.

The schematics also say that only the front corner markers, rear corner markers, and rear tail light should come on when the car is off but the blinker is on. On this car the front turn signal also turns on. It that normal? Are the schematics wrong on this point?

Yes, the whole mess is in the stock location, which is a mess.

Mike

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads

The schematics also say that only the front corner markers, rear corner markers, and rear tail light should come on when the car is off but the blinker is on. On this car the front turn signal also turns on. It that normal? Are the schematics wrong on this point?

Mike
    My understanding and observance over the decades is that ONLY the TURN signals stay on and don't blink, the PARK lights DO NOT come on. I do know from many redo's of the front and rear lighting that it is super easy to goof up where the put the wires on the dual filament bulbs. Try switching the wires on the bulb that isn't lighting when it's supposed to.

To me, the Opel lighting system is incomprehensible and insufferably/unnecessarily complicated for our American driving needs. My first order of business was to ditch the whole thing and wire it all in a much simpler fashion.

Mike's Opel Shop Site Supporter opellane's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the tips.

Those grounds are grounded.

I have no faith in my crimping so I solder every crimp connection I make.

I spent a couple of hours redrawing the flasher circuit schematic, trying to understand it. I think I finally do. The flasher gets it's power through the hazards switch. When the hazards are on that power comes straight from the battery via fuse F4. When off it comes through a distribution point on the dash. I need to make sure this second route is still good. I might have bumped something earlier this week when I had the dash out.

Yes, the whole mess is in the stock location, which is a mess.

Mike

Just my 5 cents worth, sounds like a easy fix. If you have just replaced the fuse box. I would Unplug the colored plugs and check to see if any of the spades (pins ) have moved.loosen up of fell out ( it happens) looking for a bad connection,, loose plugs...
    Try to wiggle the fuse box colored plug while turn signal engaged, should here flasher blinking,, I think the ones I'd check are the black and white plugs from the steering column as you say the 4 ways are working. , If all the wiring , fusebox , and grounds, checked ... just putting it out there ( bad plug connection) Good Luck
    Last edited by opellane; 04-12-2019 at 01:09 PM.
    The Scifi Guy likes this.
    MIKE
    ---------------------------------------------------
    1972 Opel GT, 1969 Opel GT, 1973 MGB,

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads

If the car is OFF, but the blinker stalk ON. ONLY the banana lights and rear markers will be on. The front turn signal should not be illuminated.
    My rear brake light (parking light) also comes on

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Knorm65 View Post
    If the car is OFF, but the blinker stalk ON. ONLY the banana lights and rear markers will be on. The front turn signal should not be illuminated.
    My rear brake light (parking light) also comes on
    That is correct. Only one side should do this. On US cars it's the left side
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    Humans are not an endangered species!

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    That is correct. Only one side should do this. On US cars it's the left side
    Are you sure? When my blinker is left only the left side lights, but when it is right the right side lights the same way. My car has all of the factory wiring for a 1970

Resident Whippersnapper ubernoob51's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alex Zaychenko
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On ‘71-73 GTs, the lights in the grille will light up too (one side or the other) because those years have running lights and turn signals and use a dual-filament bulb. On earlier GTs it’s a single-filament bulb and the grille lights are turn signals only.

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ubernoob51 View Post
    On ‘71-73 GTs, the lights in the grille will light up too (one side or the other) because those years have running lights and turn signals and use a dual-filament bulb. On earlier GTs it’s a single-filament bulb and the grille lights are turn signals only.
    You’re kidding!!! I had no clue. I checked the 73 wiring diagram vs my 70 diagram you’re absolutely correct.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It was right. When the key was on the flasher was not getting power. The problem was the contacts in the hazards switch. Fixed. Now to put the dash back in, for the 5th or 6th time.

Edit - Not so fast. Now the blinkers work but both indicator lights on the dash flash, and the hazards work, but neither indicator on the dash flashes.

Mike
    Last edited by m610; 04-13-2019 at 04:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information