I'm so pissed off! - Page 4
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree543Likes

Thread: I'm so pissed off!

Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra GT View Post
    I love that the bidding started at $0.99!

bidders:5Bids:13Time left:4days19hours2minsDuration:5 days
    Only actual bids (not automatic bids generated up to a bidder's maximum) are shown. Automatic bids may be placed days or hours before a listing ends. Learn more about bidding.
    Show automatic bids
    Bidder Bid Amount Bid Time
    j***t(243) $365.00 24 Apr 2019 at 5:29:51PM PDT
    z***w(7) $360.00 24 Apr 2019 at 5:38:10PM PDT
    z***w(7) $350.00 24 Apr 2019 at 5:37:10PM PDT
    z***w(7) $310.00 24 Apr 2019 at 5:36:58PM PDT
    z***w(7) $300.00 24 Apr 2019 at 4:54:43PM PDT
    6***.(8) $250.00 24 Apr 2019 at 2:55:22PM PDT
    6***.(8) $202.50 24 Apr 2019 at 2:54:20PM PDT
    r***s(788) $200.00 24 Apr 2019 at 2:52:02PM PDT
    6***.(8) $200.00 24 Apr 2019 at 2:54:13PM PDT
    6***.(8) $100.00 24 Apr 2019 at 2:51:43PM PDT
    6***.(8) $25.00 24 Apr 2019 at 2:51:11PM PDT
    v***e(7) $20.00 24 Apr 2019 at 2:15:38PM PDT
    6***.(8) $10.00 24 Apr 2019 at 2:50:56PM PDT
    Starting Price $0.99 24 Apr 2019 at 2:02:12PM PDT
    If two people bid the same amount, the first bid has priority. Also, you can only retract your bid under certain circumstances. Learn more.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra GT View Post
    It kinda has a Janis Joplin Porsche Speedster vibe to it, don't you think?
    rrossjr and GTeglman like this.

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I tidied up my wiring today and added 2 ground straps: One from the dizzy clamp to the lower alternator mounting bracket, where I have the alternator's ground strap going to, and another ground strap from the alternator's ground bolt to one of the coil's mounting bolts on the brake booster support brace. The engine's normal ground strap location on the passenger side of the engine has a strap from the body to the engine in the normal fashion. So I now have two ground straps from the engine to the body. And I installed a new diz cap, but didn't have a spare new rotor. Gotta stock up on some new sets of those. I removed all the wires that the MSD box had coming and going to it and removed them and their plug into the unit. It's now just a useless box in my engine compartment. I got my tach working by reprogramming my instrument cluster to accept a 12V signal from the diz tach wire. For some reason it appears that it had somehow shifted to only accepting a 5V signal that is commonly used in modern cars with FI and a computer. And I reconfigured and simplified my engine compartment wiring diagram to reflect the changes:

IMG_1240.jpg IMG_1241.jpg IMG_1242.jpg Engine Compartment Wiring Update 4-28-19.jpg

I ran the engine and took a spin around the block to reorient my car in my garage before I started the tidy up process and had some funny coming and going sputtering engine performance, as though 2 cylinders weren't working well. I returned the car to the garage and fiddled with diz timing. It started to rain, so no more test drives.

Running the car in the garage, I observed my tach and engine running and, although pretty good, I kind of detected occasional sputters and misses. I've sort of seen this before at idle with the side draft and with my previous downdraft carb set ups, so I'm not terribly worried, but I'm going to need a bunch more test drives with no hiccups before I trust it. My next project will be to pull the jets from the carb and inspect the fuel bowl for any debris or things that don't look right.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A good way to test if the sputtering is caused by a clogged jet or vacuum leak is to slightly turn on your mechanical choke as it will usually cover up the problem by throwing fuel at it.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmm....interesting tip and diagnostic tool, I'll give it a try! Thanks!

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    I tidied up my wiring today and added 2 ground straps: One from the dizzy clamp to the lower alternator mounting bracket, where I have the alternator's ground strap going to, and another ground strap from the alternator's ground bolt to one of the coil's mounting bolts on the brake booster support brace. The engine's normal ground strap location on the passenger side of the engine has a strap from the body to the engine in the normal fashion. So I now have two ground straps from the engine to the body. And I installed a new diz cap, but didn't have a spare new rotor. Gotta stock up on some new sets of those. I removed all the wires that the MSD box had coming and going to it and removed them and their plug into the unit. It's now just a useless box in my engine compartment. I got my tach working by reprogramming my instrument cluster to accept a 12V signal from the diz tach wire. For some reason it appears that it had somehow shifted to only accepting a 5V signal that is commonly used in modern cars with FI and a computer. And I reconfigured and simplified my engine compartment wiring diagram to reflect the changes:

IMG_1240.jpg IMG_1241.jpg IMG_1242.jpg Engine Compartment Wiring Update 4-28-19.jpg

I ran the engine and took a spin around the block to reorient my car in my garage before I started the tidy up process and had some funny coming and going sputtering engine performance, as though 2 cylinders weren't working well. I returned the car to the garage and fiddled with diz timing. It started to rain, so no more test drives.

Running the car in the garage, I observed my tach and engine running and, although pretty good, I kind of detected occasional sputters and misses. I've sort of seen this before at idle with the side draft and with my previous downdraft carb set ups, so I'm not terribly worried, but I'm going to need a bunch more test drives with no hiccups before I trust it. My next project will be to pull the jets from the carb and inspect the fuel bowl for any debris or things that don't look right.

Two things about your ground straps. 1) I don't think that the body of the coil is actually connected to anything inside the coil so grounding it has no effect at all (someone will jump in here if I am wrong I am sure). 2) Grounding the clamp on the dizzy will not improve the ground to the plate inside the dizzy. I think you would at least have to run the ground strap to the outside of the dizzy body otherwise your ground is still running through the rotating shaft.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Wilwood Brks,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35i BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335ix '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmm....interesting tip and diagnostic tool, I'll give it a try! Thanks!

Yep it’s a good trick. My idle jets get clogged every month or so because they are pretty small and the 40DCOE basically has an open vent to the fuel bowl unless you have an air box.
    My car will just all the sudden fall on its face and run really lean. I just pull my manual choke control inside and I can drive home with no issues
    SpringGT likes this.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gordon. I hate to say this but the ground strap you did from the alternator bolt to the holddown bolt on the dizzy was a waste of time.
    You need to ground to the housing of the dizzy. It can just be a small piece of 16ga wire. It doesn't have to be a big beefy ground strap.
    soybean and The Cub like this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    Tom
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So how’s she running? I see your tied up with the Manta lately I was tuning in to see if you had a chance to drive around and knock out the small kinks? No news is good news hopefully.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    Gordon. I hate to say this but the ground strap you did from the alternator bolt to the holddown bolt on the dizzy was a waste of time.
    You need to ground to the housing of the dizzy. It can just be a small piece of 16ga wire. It doesn't have to be a big beefy ground strap.
    There are three straps in the pic.

1) One from the dizzy hold down bolt to the lower Alt bracket bolt into the block
    2) Another from the Alt ground post to the same Alt bracket bolt
    3) On the other side of the block is 4th ground strap from the engine to the body, I decided to supplement that by adding the 3rd additional ground strap from the Alt ground post to the brake booster support bar.

The guts of the dizzy are firmly fastened to the housing by the two diz clip bolts. The entire chromed housing passes electricity VERY well and should be conducting quite well to the diz clamp. The added strap contacts the diz chromed clamp and it's chromed bolt into the block. I think I already have massive overkill when it comes to grounding. Adding a 5th small wire from one of the diz clip bolts to the Alt bracket bolt seems unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cub View Post
    So how’s she running? I see your tied up with the Manta lately I was tuning in to see if you had a chance to drive around and knock out the small kinks? No news is good news hopefully.

I was talking with Charlie last night about our mutual Opel running problems. His new Senator just crapped out again, with a new no start problem. I recalled 3 years ago that we both simultaneously had fuel tank venting issues that caused our cars to sputter, stumble, and stall after a short amount of driving and then after a few minutes on the side of the road would return to full function as though nothing had happened. Both were due to insufficient tank venting due to adding new gas cap gaskets to our cars, which both had closed off vent lines. With no air leaking through the formerly poor sealing gas caps, we both formed a vacuum inside our tanks that stopped fuel from getting to our engines. This symptom became very pronounced after topping off my tank, which reduced the air pocket at the top of the tank. My recent highway troubles were after I had topped off the tank. I fixed my venting and had a wide open hose venting the tank, but I smelled fuel after fill ups and added an air restrictor inside the hose. When I had my breakdowns, I never considered checking the fuel tank. If it wasn't venting it would be hard to remove the gas cap and I would have heard an air sucking sound when I removed the cap and the car would start up and run perfectly. I'll have to remember to do that if the problem returns.

Yes, I've been too focused on the Manta thing to start the progressively longer test drive process and I admit to being awfully disheartened by my recent breakdown. The week before I had perfect car performance, drove 100mph for 1/2 an hour, and came home with a nice trophy. I finally trust my car enough to attempt to attend a car show in Highway Hell(aka: North Jersey near New York City). You don't want to get stuck on the side of the road up there. But the car ran great the previous year and a half, so I gave it a try. 20 miles later I'm on the side of the road.

I'm so pissed off that I don't give a schitt whether I drive that car for the rest of the year. Carlisle is 3 weeks away and I have no faith in my car. It's likely I'll take the Solstice.

Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 05-03-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm so pissed off that I don't give a schitt whether I drive that car for the rest of the year. Carlisle is 3 weeks away and I have no faith in my car.
    Man do I know that feeling. You will figure it out, keep at it.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Wilwood Brks,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35i BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335ix '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

3000 Post Club Site Supporter P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm so pissed off that I don't give a schitt whether I drive that car for the rest of the year. Carlisle is 3 weeks away and I have no faith in my car. It's likely I'll take the Solstice.
    Gordon, think why we love our Opels. Not for the reliability, not for the comfort or low maintenance. We love them because they are different, because they give us the sense of achievement and adventure and they bring us back to some good times. If you want reliable car get some modern cookie cutter vehicle but you will lose everything else. Choose what you prefer. I made my choice long time ago.
    So fire-up that wacky Gordomobil and see you in Carlisle.
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't listen to those two.....this looks like a lost cause.

Get the fluids drained and I'll be over to complete the engine take-out process. You can keep your chromey bits, I won't need them.

Figure we can use your lift to place the motor into my pickup bed? Pizza....I like Mushrooms and nothing else. And make sure it's well done.

PS: Don't think I'll need all those extra grounds, so you can keep them too.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    13 days isn't enough time. I've got injuries to both my hands. Norbert's hounding me to play with the toy car and take photo shoots. I've got a junker taking up my whole backyard that needs to get the heck out of here. Work has been frustrating and brutal and I'm going to and from work pissed off every day. The Summer heat, which starts in Spring, and Mosquito season is almost upon us and that means the end of working-on-cars fun for me. I see no direct evidence that I've cured the phantom shut off problem with the Pertronix and the ground straps. PJ and Keith will win the Best Of awards every year like they always do.

Nope, it will be far more enjoyable to drive my totally reliable and enjoyable SolstOpel to the show with Norbert's GTX model as a GTX stand-in.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    13 days isn't enough time. I've got injuries to both my hands. Norbert's hounding me to play with the toy car and take photo shoots. I've got a junker taking up my whole backyard that needs to get the heck out of here. Work has been frustrating and brutal and I'm going to and from work pissed off every day. The Summer heat, which starts in Spring, and Mosquito season is almost upon us and that means the end of working-on-cars fun for me. I see no direct evidence that I've cured the phantom shut off problem with the Pertronix and the ground straps. PJ and Keith will win the Best Of awards every year like they always do.

Nope, it will be far more enjoyable to drive my totally reliable and enjoyable SolstOpel to the show with Norbert's GTX model as a GTX stand-in.
    I hear ya man, there's never enough time it seems. Plenty of stuff I'd like to do when I am off the road and home but seems like I only can get a couple things done every time. Its frustrating but look at the brightside, at least you have one of the premier Opel GTs and the expertise to do amazing things to it. As for me , I am just happy to have mine on the road, with all her quirks and faults.
    The Scifi Guy and ejota like this.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I took the GT out for a quick 3 mile spin around the river near my house and it ran just fine, maybe even better than before. If the weather permits, I'll do progressively longer drives and some highway time to see if I can build enough confidence to trust it on the 2.5 hour ride to our Carlisle gathering. Right now it's running as good as it did before my breakdowns, but I've been fooled before......

pumpkindriver and ejota like this.

Real Name
    Tom
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I took the GT out for a quick 3 mile spin around the river near my house and it ran just fine, maybe even better than before. If the weather permits, I'll do progressively longer drives and some highway time to see if I can build enough confidence to trust it on the 2.5 hour ride to our Carlisle gathering. Right now it's running as good as it did before my breakdowns, but I've been fooled before......

Glad she’s running better it seems like replacing the ignition module was a good move. There’s more to life and being fortunate enough to have another vehicle whatever it is to use makes those GT issues A LOT smaller. I’ve had gas in my GT before (25 years ago) where it’s ran fine then like crap, then fine again it just doesn’t like bad gas. After I burned that tank off and chewed poor Gil’s ear off wondering what was wrong, it ran fine for years and I never looked back. Which is what Gil told me btw. I still say if you haven’t already used that tank up and still you’re experiencing problems use that gas up and see what happens. I am also on a (bunk pump gas) kick right now as if you couldn’t tell. But that’s my experience.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    DAMMIT!

DAMMIT! DAMMIT! DAMMIT!

After work I needed to shift cars around to put the GT in a position to go to a car show in Philly as a first test of whether it will act up on a drive longer than 20 minutes. I didn't like the way it idled. Too fast with missing or hiccups or something. I took a quick 3 mile spin around the local river, then had to floor it to get on a highway at one end of it. I had predetonation. Okay, retard the timing a bit. The car ran like crapp as though only 2 cylinders were working. Idle sounded okay to the untrained ear, put it in gear and the idle dropped in half and the engine sounded like I was running on 2 cylinders.

One week till Carlisle.

How could my car go to heck in a hand basket one week after that great car show I won a month ago?

The only difference was that I topped my tank off at an unknown gas station. I'm now thinking that I must have gotten one heck of a bad batch of gas. The only fix I can think of is to pump out all 7.5 gallons of gas remaining in the tank and start over with all new gas from a known good gas station. Schitt, what the heck am I gonna do with 7.5 gallons of bad gas in buckets?

I am really, REALLY, pissed off now.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's another video:

https://youtu.be/1-TWbBl24kA

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I drained the gas, it looked old-ish. Put in freshly delivered to the gas station Premium. Plugs okay. Carb and jets clean. Discovered that my linkage adapter had unscrewed and snapped off.

I'm screwed and I don't have a clue what to check next.

Engine trouble.jpgEngine trouble (1).jpgEngine trouble (2).jpgEngine trouble (3).jpgEngine trouble (4).jpgEngine trouble (5).jpg

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information