Success!
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By First opel 1981
  • 1 Post By First opel 1981

Thread: Success!

Downloads
    Uploads

Success!

This is kind of just a brag but you are all my cyber buds and I wanted to share (there will, hopefully, be Opel related stuff to follow though)

I've shared with a couple people here that I've been working on building a CNC machine. It's been slow go but I do a little each week.

Last winter (2017/2018) I managed to get all the electronic components figured out. I have a CNC simulator that was running flawlessly and FOUR steppers being driven by a computer. So I'm not at all worried that the electronics will work. What I have been working on the last year was the actual "machine".

I have a small lathe/mill that I use to make all my parts for the machine. I cut extruded aluminum and such on my front porch with a regular miter saw (Harbor Freight) and then clean up the pieces on the mill.

Not to get too boring and long on this post, Today was a moment of triumph.

Today I completed one side of the X-Axis movement. Although I was only using my cordless drill to run it, it took about a minute to run the entire 54" length.

It could run with just one side of the X-axis but I'm building it to maintain precision throughout the work so I want to drive it from both sides of the X-axis. It won't be that difficult to mirror what I did on the first side. I have everything I need for it. I just need to cut/mill/drill and then assemble the components. The R/D is done.

The CNC machine was designed to work 24"X48". I've managed to squeeze a little more out of it through component placement. It will "bleed" 24X48 when it's complete.

Some people ask "what will you make with it when it's done?" and the answer is "I don't know yet". It's just the base CNC. I can add a router, or laser, or plasma cutter or whatever. I can even use it as a HUGE (though super slow) 3D printer. I did the math on the one thing I want to 3D print and it was going to take 30 days of constant running to produce it.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share.
    GoldGT, SpringGT, m610 and 2 others like this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Congratulations! Big project to make one from scratch.

I've been investigating buying one but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Right now I have nowhere to put it.
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey First Opel, If I had any idea what you succeeded in I would be pretty smart. But alas, the old guy got left behind on your project. My best guess is a 3D Printer, but I might be way off base. You are certainly over my head.

Bob
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey TC, Just to help you out, and anyone else that's wondering...

CNC stands for Computer Numeric Control. I know, that doesn't explain it.

Basically, you have a machine that moves in "steps" mimicking the actions of a human but FAR more precisely and timely.
    On the one I'm building it will have 3 Axis. So it's like three people operating the machine at the same time.

It's hard to explain.

Anyhow, a back story...

I went to a technical high school. Everyone that went there had to take 8 different shop classes their first two years. One of the mandatory shop classes was "machine shop".
    I was amazed at what you could do in machine shop. Mostly ,though, I was amazed that they had a new machine that could run automatically. It took hours and hours and hours to program a movement and a TON of math but when it was done you could mill a circular pattern or, really, any pattern you wanted. Yes, it was a CNC machine. Super high tech at the time. Pretty low tech now.
    I always wanted a machine that could do that.

Fast forward to a couple years ago. My son gifted me a 3D printer. I had to learn a little to use it and that was where my desire for a CNC machine was reborn. I literally had a small CNC machine in my living room. And building that machine I realized I could build one bigger. And so that's where I am now, building it bigger.

I had also just purchased another lifelong dream machine. Just a simple lathe is all I wanted but I decided to get the built in mill also. I spent some time fitting it with a super precise DRO (Digital Read Out) that I connected, via bluetooth, to an extra tablet I had laying around. That project involved soldering up the circuit board and creating an interface for the other components. It sounds like a lot more work that it was but I couldn't do much without that handy little DRO dealy-bob.

I'll probably only use the CNC machine for odds and ends and fun stuff. It's just another dream being fulfilled, really. We aren't getting younger and some dreams need to be fulfilled.

And since the first post of mine in this thread, I built all the hardware for the other side of the X-axis.

Next up is having a REAL machinist cut the ballscrew for the Y-axis. My little lathe is intimidated by the hardened steel those things are made of.
    sawdust likes this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    Humans are not an endangered species!

Thread Information