Friday rant - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Friday rant

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have never seen one "live" so I can't say anything about the difference to original Opel ones. But there has been many complaints about lifters breaking in short time, in the worst cases under camshaft break-in.
    Edit: Here is a pic of one https://www.ebay.de/itm/Hydrostosel-...%7CMake%3AOpel
    Last edited by Commodåren; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:16 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Jay Swift
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Diesel engines are usually around 30%+ efficient in a car and up to 50% efficient in a ship. Think it's fair to say a tractor is 35% efficient?

A gallon of diesel is 38kWh of energy, or ~13.3kWh of useful energy. That means 150 gallons is ~2000kWh of energy in a day. The big battery pack in a current Tesla is 100kWh, and the Semi is said to have 4 250kWh packs which is good for 500 miles of 18 wheeler travel. If a tractor has the set of batteries, it would need to charge once during the day. That means a 45 minute pause in work with current tech (kind of sucks). But, being a tractor it could probably swap its batteries with a charged set on a trailer at the road.
    1973 GT
    2019 Hyundai Ioniq

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Ask the guys that collected buggies and wagons. Certainly, those smelly and loud machines weren't going to last and buggies and wagons would be back. They might even have a few mint ones stashed in a barn. I heard they were having a hard time finding blacksmiths to make the metal rimmed wheels. Thank god they are finally making some decent 36" rims.
    Technology moves on. Cars are around until they get replaced. Electric cars are not a strong enough draw. Just a different colored horse. Now drone transportation is another thing. Can you imagine Gordo modding a drone transport? Red Baron! At first, this seems like it could be a good thing. With everyone flying around, the roads will be empty and it will be enjoyable to drive again. That is, until they stop maintaining the roads. So maybe 20 years before they are good only for buggies and wagons.
    Sorry Gordo. As of now, they only come in Boeing Blue. This particular one is NFS, but there are others that are available to the general public. Price is projected at +400k, but things get cheaper once the newness wears off. Do you have your private pilots license? I'm sure you could figure out how to defeat the fully autonomous feature. Sadly, ill trained pilots couldn't in two downings of the Max.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by P.J. Romano View Post
    I always hated oil industry greedy attitude. They constantly kept increasing price of gas threatening with shortage of oil when existing sources are depleted. It turned out, the world has plenty of reserve. Did they decrease prices? Of course not.

Valve lifter failure on the way to Carlisle made me think further: Modern oil products are so against our old cars.

1. Modern engine oils do not have zinc which is needed for flat tappets.
    2. Gas contains ethanol which is ruining our fuel system.
    3. The latest transmission GL5 oils are bad for synchro rings in our transmission.

The only karma is that the world is slowly but surely switching to electrical cars. What brings the question: What will be the future of gas powered classic cars? Will they be in museums only?
    My 1973 Manta Luxus (Blue Max edition) purchased new had two or three valve lifters fail after about 40,000 miles. Took the camshaft with them. Did not seem to matter to them what oil I was using...
    soybean likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    How do you identify them?
    They are the ones with holes worn through the bottom.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    BTW - One set of very hard to find, quality, replacement hyd lifters for sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    soybean and norbertone.gt371 like this.

3000 Post Club Site Supporter P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lifters are available from OGTS but I am interested in set of yours. Send me an offer via PM.
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

3000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lifters are available from OGTS but I am interested in set of yours. Send me an offer via PM.
    I think that is a good choise with the cam followers what show as offer above
    Be not sure with OGTS or Udo ones.They sold a long time GM originals.
    Does ENEM not have own ones.

Here is a real good offer too.When I reed the description,they are for the sporty cams 2.0 E
    and 2.0 EH.
    That means they must have bottoms out off the later GGG70 Material.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/OPEL-KADETT-...sAAOSwYsBbvQm8

As last for the Ajusa lifters.They will work on a total stock 1.9 without problems.
    But even not on tuned engines with high power at high rpm.
    So you can buy them not with tuned engines The fail will follow in a short time
    Gary, soybean, Lindsay and 1 others like this.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by norbertone.gt371 View Post

Here is a real good offer too.When I reed the description,they are for the sporty cams 2.0 E
    and 2.0 EH.

As last for the Ajusa lifters.They will work on a total stock 1.9 without problems.
    So, these hydraulic lifters (with GGG70 Material) would be suitable replacements for lesser 1.9L engines and lower performance camshafts?

CHARACTERISTICS OF GGG70:
    GGG70 has a pearlitic structure with higher mechanical properties than those of GGG50 and GGG60, resulting in even better abrasion resistance. In spite of the high hardness, this material is reasonably easy to machine and the surface can be finished to a high standard.

It is suitable for many applications where high strength and a fully pearlitic base structure are required; e.g. cast press and stamping machine dies, highly stressed machine components, toothed wheels, running wheels and crankshafts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by norbertone.gt371 View Post

and 2.0 EH.

You can't use the same lifter in a 20E as in a 20EH, because the 20E cam is a hydraulic, the 20EH cam on the other hand is a solid.

3000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Commodåren View Post
    You can't use the same lifter in a 20E as in a 20EH, because the 20E cam is a hydraulic, the 20EH cam on the other hand is a solid.
    I mean the 1983 115 hp 2.0 EH out of the Monza and Senator.For me it is the same as the 1979
    2.0 EH engine out of the Kadett C GTE.But Monza and Senator have the Cam stamped with R.
    A hydro cam!

Btw.Also early Opel original hydraulic lifter have those weak bottoms 1971 to 1978.

Fact is, that all fail are made by use self! Buy cheap but not the right material!
    soybean likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh yes, the Senator Monza 115hp engine, as far as I know it is a stink normal 110hp 20E like in the other models, I suspect they just rated it higher to make the Senators and Monzas stand out from the lesser Rekords so they could justify the price difference.
    soybean likes this.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have mixed feelings about the price of gas, oil, etc. First I own oil stocks that have been quite good to me. A company split, and I got half as many shares from the split. The company has since increased the value of the stock by three times. This country has for the first time in history, become self sufficient on gas and oil. The reason I have mixed feelings is because the government has turned down many requests to build new refineries. When a refinery shuts down, even for a week, the price of gas goes up. They base their price on how much gasoline is available for sale. The more out there the less the price, the less out there, the more the price. Adding some new refineries would help alleviate some of this, but they will not get them approved.

When I was a kid, I would walk down to the "dimestore" they had a display of one cent candy that you would not believe. With a dime you could go crazy one the penny candies, or get a coke and a hershey bar. Those days are gone forever. The gold in the US system of money, was removed in 1934. Then in 1964 the last silver coins were minted. That's why the dollar buys less today than it ever did.

I guess that I have a slanted point of view, but I already knew that.

Bob
    soybean and SpringGT like this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tealcarver View Post
    I have mixed feelings about the price of gas, oil, etc. First I own oil stocks that have been quite good to me. A company split, and I got half as many shares from the split. The company has since increased the value of the stock by three times. This country has for the first time in history, become self sufficient on gas and oil. The reason I have mixed feelings is because the government has turned down many requests to build new refineries. When a refinery shuts down, even for a week, the price of gas goes up. They base their price on how much gasoline is available for sale. The more out there the less the price, the less out there, the more the price. Adding some new refineries would help alleviate some of this, but they will not get them approved.

When I was a kid, I would walk down to the "dimestore" they had a display of one cent candy that you would not believe. With a dime you could go crazy one the penny candies, or get a coke and a hershey bar. Those days are gone forever. The gold in the US system of money, was removed in 1934. Then in 1964 the last silver coins were minted. That's why the dollar buys less today than it ever did.

Bob
    No Bob it's not a slanted point of view. I own Gas and Electric stock as well. All were purchased by my Grandmother, and passed on to my Mother, and passed to me when she died. Some have preformed well, otherrs not so well or not at all. I remember too when Gas was $.35. and you could ride all day for around $10.00. I also remember, like you hitting the "dimestore", and having money left over. I remember whn I made $1.25 an hr and thought that was good. Then too I remember 1974 and Gas coupons and odd even Gas days and the lines.Quote "the government has turned down many requests to build new refineries. When a refinery shuts down, even for a week, the price of gas goes up. They base their price on how much gasoline is available for sale. The more out there the less the price, the less out there, the more the price. Adding some new refineries would help alleviate some of this, but they will not get them approved".End quote.
    You hit the nail on the head right there. I was approached by MVP Southgate a year ago about a natural gas pipeline, "The goverment" wanted to put through a portion of my land. I told them to "kiss off" and waited. I read, did my homework, and waited. So then,I was approached by a "female dog" who demanded access to "my land" that "I'' pay taxes on to survey. I had had a survey done when Duke Power asked about a substation to be located on my land. No problem, pay me. They did, again no problem. But when this "female dog" demanded access to "my land". Kiss off, you have Duke Powers survey to use. Then "female dog" comes up with enviromental survey, which I knew was coming, so I say ok but enviromental survey, nothing else. Then "female dog" says we are are coming out there, we want you there. Ok no problem. The day comes "female dog" and handler are there. I call the local Sheriffs, ask for Deputys to meet me there on that plot of land, because I've seen, read, what is going on up in Virginia. Not pretty. So a long story short, in the end, "female dog" asks for a hug or a handshake. "Cold Day in hell, have a nice day" turn and get ready to leave, ask the cops was I too rude, not at all they say. So I'm good. Well the handler was standing back during this whole exchange and I can't have him feeling left out, so I ask for a card, he looks at me strangely and says hes there to make sure the surveyors get water. BS. I get a card. Global Security Corp. So I ask "Are you carrying?" no response, cops turn around, walk back, ask again "Are you carrying?". This time, response is Ahh I don't feel the need to answer that. Dummy just pleaded the 5th. Cops really looking now. If he had been on "My land" slam dunk, butts in Jail. He was on "Public Property" therefore good to go. I leave, go home checking out the 3 other cop cars that have showed up for a grand total of 5 cars. Moral of this story. "The Goverment" is going to do what they want to do, to heck with you and what you own, so again, the Goverment is going to set prices for oil, Electricity, whatever they have their hand in and "we" have to put up with it. BS I say, what happened since the 60s and protests, etc, are we a bunch of lambs to be lead around by the nose? I am thoroughly disgusted now. There is a happy ending though. I'll write more later. My son is coming up to see me tonight. He has band practice tomorrow and I've "Ranted" enough for tonite. Jarrell
    tealcarver likes this.
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tealcarver View Post

Bob
    Yes, oil companies are always an easy target for people's wrath, but theirs is also a very expensive business to be in; and, it carries huge risks and liabilities (ask British Petroleum) that other industries don't. Sure they bring in lots of money but it also costs a lot of money to be in that business.

If you look at the Return on Capital Employed by Chevron, a large American major, it is only just over 6 %. At about 17.5 %, Apple Computer's ROCE is nearly three times that of Chevron, but nobody is complaining about the exorbitant price of cell phones.

Crude oil and fuels are commodities whose values are determined by the free markets, not oil companies. Fuel and lube-oil specifications are usually based on what the auto and machinery makers want and what the refiners can develop (along with a lot of help from EPA), but are not arbitrarily set by oil companies.
    Last edited by SpringGT; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:19 PM.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    No Bob it's not a slanted point of view. I own Gas and Electric stock as well. All were purchased by my Grandmother, and passed on to my Mother, and passed to me when she died. Some have preformed well, otherrs not so well or not at all. I remember too when Gas was $.35. and you could ride all day for around $10.00. I also remember, like you hitting the "dimestore", and having money left over. I remember whn I made $1.25 an hr and thought that was good. Then too I remember 1974 and Gas coupons and odd even Gas days and the lines.Quote "the government has turned down many requests to build new refineries. When a refinery shuts down, even for a week, the price of gas goes up. They base their price on how much gasoline is available for sale. The more out there the less the price, the less out there, the more the price. Adding some new refineries would help alleviate some of this, but they will not get them approved".End quote.
    You hit the nail on the head right there. I was approached by MVP Southgate a year ago about a natural gas pipeline, "The goverment" wanted to put through a portion of my land. I told them to "kiss off" and waited. I read, did my homework, and waited. So then,I was approached by a "female dog" who demanded access to "my land" that "I'' pay taxes on to survey. I had had a survey done when Duke Power asked about a substation to be located on my land. No problem, pay me. They did, again no problem. But when this "female dog" demanded access to "my land". Kiss off, you have Duke Powers survey to use. Then "female dog" comes up with enviromental survey, which I knew was coming, so I say ok but enviromental survey, nothing else. Then "female dog" says we are are coming out there, we want you there. Ok no problem. The day comes "female dog" and handler are there. I call the local Sheriffs, ask for Deputys to meet me there on that plot of land, because I've seen, read, what is going on up in Virginia. Not pretty. So a long story short, in the end, "female dog" asks for a hug or a handshake. "Cold Day in hell, have a nice day" turn and get ready to leave, ask the cops was I too rude, not at all they say. So I'm good. Well the handler was standing back during this whole exchange and I can't have him feeling left out, so I ask for a card, he looks at me strangely and says hes there to make sure the surveyors get water. BS. I get a card. Global Security Corp. So I ask "Are you carrying?" no response, cops turn around, walk back, ask again "Are you carrying?". This time, response is Ahh I don't feel the need to answer that. Dummy just pleaded the 5th. Cops really looking now. If he had been on "My land" slam dunk, butts in Jail. He was on "Public Property" therefore good to go. I leave, go home checking out the 3 other cop cars that have showed up for a grand total of 5 cars. Moral of this story. "The Goverment" is going to do what they want to do, to heck with you and what you own, so again, the Goverment is going to set prices for oil, Electricity, whatever they have their hand in and "we" have to put up with it. BS I say, what happened since the 60s and protests, etc, are we a bunch of lambs to be lead around by the nose? I am thoroughly disgusted now. There is a happy ending though. I'll write more later. My son is coming up to see me tonight. He has band practice tomorrow and I've "Ranted" enough for tonite. Jarrell
    Jerrell, I live in a stand your ground state. All you have to do is tell them to get off your land, if they don't leave, then you can shoot them. The laws here in Nevada are pretty wild, wild west. It is amazing because everyone get along with everyone. The firearms club that I belong to is going to put two billboards on highway 50. One on the west end and one on the east end. (you can't get into Fallon without seeing the signs, except if you are coming in on highway 95). The signs say "Leave your road rage here, most of our citizens are armed." The Navy air base requires all pilots and uniformed Navy people to attend an orientation meeting before they can go off base, and they emphasise "Do not screw around with the people in town, because you will likely get killed". I have been many places where the Navy guys go, and I have to say they are great people.

Bob
    Last edited by tealcarver; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:30 AM.
    soybean likes this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not Opel, but Mopar and the video by Uncle Tony's Garage was put up not long after you identified your lifter problem, PJ. Initial diagnosis link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg8KgArtY0o The failed lifter(s) (China made) are worn through like what you show.

Tear down and lifter, cam inspection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSD1V3AkcJQ&t=210s

I recently purchased a new set of hydraulic lifters from OGTS, Ajusa, made in Spain. So as I continue to collect parts, I will be monitoring for anymore camshaft lifter failures on the site as time goes on. Right now, we have you and possibly Gordon with some kind of possible lifter issue.

Are these simply bad lifters by inferior design, construction and materials? Could there be an issue with the Opel oiling system not supplying enough oil topside? Can the fact that there is not a complete, new timing cover/oil pump assembly being made today that forces us to use our 40 year old timing covers and pump gears??? Or is that a separate issue ready to rise up in due time?

Your problem is especially bothersome for all of us going into the future. We may not have to worry about gasoline supplies if our cam and lifter availability on the market features defective parts......

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNotigan View Post
    Not Opel, but Mopar and the video by Uncle Tony's Garage was put up not long after you identified your lifter problem, PJ. Initial diagnosis link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg8KgArtY0o The failed lifter(s) (China made) are worn through like what you show.

Tear down and lifter, cam inspection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSD1V3AkcJQ&t=210s

I recently purchased a new set of hydraulic lifters from OGTS, Ajusa, made in Spain. So as I continue to collect parts, I will be monitoring for anymore camshaft lifter failures on the site as time goes on. Right now, we have you and possibly Gordon with some kind of possible lifter issue.

Are these simply bad lifters by inferior design, construction and materials? Could there be an issue with the Opel oiling system not supplying enough oil topside? Can the fact that there is not a complete, new timing cover/oil pump assembly being made today that forces us to use our 40 year old timing covers and pump gears??? Or is that a separate issue ready to rise up in due time?

Your problem is especially bothersome for all of us going into the future. We may not have to worry about gasoline supplies if our cam and lifter availability on the market features defective parts......
    I've also had a bad batch of hydraulic lifters that prematurely failed within a few hundred miles. They were purchased threw OGTS. Thankfully Gil is a stand up guy and that issue was resolved.

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Viny Charb View Post
    I've also had a bad batch of hydraulic lifters that prematurely failed within a few hundred miles. They were purchased threw OGTS. Thankfully Gil is a stand up guy and that issue was resolved.
    Viny, I recall in your extensive build thread, the great care you took to ensure everything was done correct. Regards to your lifter woes, do you recall the make of the lifters that gave you trouble and the replacement manufacturer? How many miles have you traveled since installing the new lifters? Did they fail in the same manner PJ showed in his photo of his failed lifter? As to what is shown in the second video I posted here on that Mopar motor?

Fwiw, I tried looking at some of our more famous US manufacturers of cams, such as Crower (cannot get onto their web page but I see they have a facebook page that works), Crane Cams as well as Melling with no luck in Opel parts. Summit Racing features nothing either.

No doubt, Gil and OGTS is simply the best vendor and person to deal with in anything I have every purchased over the decades. None better.
    soybean likes this.

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNotigan View Post
    If the oil pressure and volume was insufficient to lubricate the cam lobes and lifter bottoms...you’d know it! The lifters themselves require a ton more oil to remain pumped up. Insufficient oil would leave you with a bunch of clattering hydraulic lifters long before they wore out.

The issue is likely a combination of incorrect metallurgy and/or incorrect heat treating process.

The funny thing is, there used to be a bunch of aftermarket lifter suppliers in the US that made Opel hydraulic lifters. They were all pretty good. I used to sell both aftermarket and GM lifters when I ran C & R. The GM lifters that Opel used in Europe were actually made in the US.

Anyway, what happened about 20 years ago was the mergers and acquisitions of all these automotive companies. At one point in the late 1990’s there were 4 US companies making hydraulic Opel lifters. They all got bought up under the same umbrella corporation. So suddenly one manufacturer had the same product being made by 4 subsidiaries. They whittled it down to one.

Then a few years later somebody looked at the numbers...Opel was a slow seller compared to SBC or SBF. So they scrapped it altogether. We went from feast to famine in regards to many aftermarket Opel parts in the US!

It was one of the factors that caused me to close down C & R. Not lifters specifically, but the overall aftermarket’s ‘wiping the slate’ clean of slower-moving product lines, like Opel parts.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10, E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Manta - racecar

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast