Friday rant - Page 3
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Friday rant

3000 Post Club Site Supporter P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Problem is that $20 lifter will cause a lot of collateral damage. In my case, it caused purchase of set of new lifters, new Enem camshaft, cost of car rental, cost of trailer rental, oil and filter replacement and ruined weekend.
    soybean likes this.
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The P.O. of my wagon told me the motor was rebuilt by the "best machine shop" in NJ.

I had a rocker fail and when I pulled it I noticed the lifter had a hole in its top just like the ones used in SBC's for supplying oil through the push rods. There were two others like that in the motor. That hole wore out the rocker ball, jamming the rocker.

They must have similar dimensions and I always wanted to compare and them and try adapting the Opel top piece to one but never got around to it.

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    RallyBob, as always, appreciate your perspective as a vendor and machinist on the front lines when Opel was a more relevant brand in the US.

Reading Viny's and PJ's builds; especially his carefully built 2.5 motor; it has to be beyond disappointing to have these kinds of failures what with the time, care and expense that was used in those rebuilt motors.

Just from this shade tree kind of mechanic's perspective; I recalled years ago in my issues of Car Craft, Hot Rod and Popular Hot Rodding that the Chevy/GM 454 LS6 engine featured a forged crank that was "Tuftrided", a chemical treatment process that made the bearing surfaces hardened.

In this age of One-Source components; of questionable metallurgical makeup and/or manufacture of these critical engine parts; is it realistic and even possible to have these new components farmed out to be treated via the Turftride or Nitride process? Could there be a long term benefit in doing this? Is doing something like this possibly going to be on the To-Do list for any future Opel engine rebuilder, faced with questionable parts origin? Or is tuftriding a cam lobe and lifter face something not normally done in the industry?

Looking at my unopened package of new Ajusa lifters, maybe a friendly email to them asking what kind of lifter face hardening procedures are used in their manufacture....

For engineers and engine guys like Bob and PJ, is it feasible and/or recommended for the home engine builder to go beyond the simple act of wrenching an engine back together and really consider these kinds of coatings?

Speaking of wrenching and stuff, how is Wrench459 doing? Don't seem to see him post much these days, or maybe it's just me.

PJ: Really sorry to see this happen to you.
    soybean likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by P.J. Romano View Post
    Problem is that $20 lifter will cause a lot of collateral damage. In my case, it caused purchase of set of new lifters, new Enem camshaft, cost of car rental, cost of trailer rental, oil and filter replacement and ruined weekend.
    Or even potentially worse! Imagine if that hard, crystalline cast iron cam lobe material passes thru your oil pump, or thru the main and rod bearings. Yup...not pretty.
    Gary and soybean like this.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10, E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta - racecar

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNotigan View Post
    RallyBob, as always, appreciate your perspective as a vendor and machinist on the front lines when Opel was a more relevant brand in the US.

Reading Viny's and PJ's builds; especially his carefully built 2.5 motor; it has to be beyond disappointing to have these kinds of failures what with the time, care and expense that was used in those rebuilt motors.

Just from this shade tree kind of mechanic's perspective; I recalled years ago in my issues of Car Craft, Hot Rod and Popular Hot Rodding that the Chevy/GM 454 LS6 engine featured a forged crank that was "Tuftrided", a chemical treatment process that made the bearing surfaces hardened.

In this age of One-Source components; of questionable metallurgical makeup and/or manufacture of these critical engine parts; is it realistic and even possible to have these new components farmed out to be treated via the Turftride or Nitride process? Could there be a long term benefit in doing this? Is doing something like this possibly going to be on the To-Do list for any future Opel engine rebuilder, faced with questionable parts origin? Or is tuftriding a cam lobe and lifter face something not normally done in the industry?

Looking at my unopened package of new Ajusa lifters, maybe a friendly email to them asking what kind of lifter face hardening procedures are used in their manufacture....

For engineers and engine guys like Bob and PJ, is it feasible and/or recommended for the home engine builder to go beyond the simple act of wrenching an engine back together and really consider these kinds of coatings?

Speaking of wrenching and stuff, how is Wrench459 doing? Don't seem to see him post much these days, or maybe it's just me.

There are machine shops here in Finland that offer nitriding as an option for a cam or crank grind so it should be possible in the US too.
    soybean and MikeNotigan like this.

4,000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    The P.O. of my wagon told me the motor was rebuilt by the "best machine shop" in NJ.
    At the Opel Service Garage in East Palmer Ave Collingswood
    They are proofed for smooth and carefull works on Ascona and Manta

soybean and rrossjr like this.

Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting discussion with Gil. He has very good experience with Ajusa lifters reliability. He even had them tested for proper hardness. Still, we have agreed to replace them with a set of US made Opel lifters from his stash.

On the other hand, he hears only horror stories about BGA lifters from England.
    soybean and MikeNotigan like this.

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNotigan View Post

Mike I wouldn't just Email them about their lifters,I'd call and get more info. Look at the time and money that was lost. PJ: Really sorry to see this happen to you as well, I would have gone Ballistic. Jarrell
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll tell ya, I'm getting sick and tired of dealing with real or imagined hydraulic lifter issues and the stuff I hear about them. I feel like my engine is a ticking time bomb waiting to blow because of them.

I drove bazillions of miles in a GT with solids and if they started tapping I would spend an hour or so once a year adjusting them and I was done with them and had total peace of mind. These pumpy, squirty, springy, hydrocephalic gizmos give me no peace of mind.

I'm really inclined to look into a solid grind cam and solids.

4,000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post

A solid lifter can work on a hydro cam.But not a hydro lifter on a solid cam.
    But at time to get quality okay solid lifter is the the same story.
    You must find them
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll tell ya, I'm getting sick and tired of dealing with real or imagined hydraulic lifter issues and the stuff I hear about them. I feel like my engine is a ticking time bomb waiting to blow because of them.

I drove bazillions of miles in a GT with solids and if they started tapping I would spend an hour or so once a year adjusting them and I was done with them and had total peace of mind. These pumpy, squirty, springy, hydrocephalic gizmos give me no peace of mind.

The problem is not in a hydraulic lifters design but in their metallurgy, i.e. resistance to wear. If solid lifters are not properly hardened, they will cause the same problem. They might even wear in a shorter time due to typically steeper ramp of solid cams.

I am pleased that I replaced standard oil drain plug with a magnetic type. It appears that it caught most of "steel dust" created by the wear of lifter. Also good news is that the cam lobe is just pitted, so very few of those super hard particles went into oil and hopefully were all caught by magnet and oil filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by P.J. Romano; 05-28-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by norbertone.gt371 View Post
    A solid lifter can work on a hydro cam.But not a hydro lifter on a solid cam.
    But at time to get quality okay solid lifter is the the same story.
    You must find them
    REALLY? I can use solids with my hydraulic cam? I would do that so fast it would make your head spin. 8 less things to go wrong. If I hear a little tap, it's not a warning sign that my engine is going to self destruct.

I might really do this.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmm....I just talked with Gil about the idea and he doesn't like it. He suggests a solid grind cam with solid lifters. Poo.
    soybean likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most people don't even know how hydraulic lifters work.
    If you did, Gordon, you'd realize why you want them.
    soybean and P.J. Romano like this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmm....I just talked with Gil about the idea and he doesn't like it. He suggests a solid grind cam with solid lifters. Poo.
    A solid idea. See that a joke, seriously Gil is correct a solid grind with solid lifters. Pj the wear on that lobe is terrible. Jarrell

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question

Quote Originally Posted by P.J. Romano View Post
    I am pleased that I replaced standard oil drain plug with a magnetic type. It appears that it caught most of "steel dust" created by the wear of lifter. Also good news is that the cam lobe is just pitted, so very few of those super hard particles went into oil and hopefully were all caught by magnet and oil filter.
    Where was drain plug purchased and what type. Changing oil and filter is next on the list, before I crank up. Thank you, Jarrell

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I use a powerful magnet I found at work stuck to the bottom of my steel oil pan. I take it off a day or so before I change my oil.
    soybean likes this.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    Most people don't even know how hydraulic lifters work.
    If you did, Gordon, you'd realize why you want them.
    Let's see......225,000 trouble free miles with solids and peace of mind the whole time.....versus 8000 miles with hydraulics and I've hated them from the day they were installed and if one of them fails my cam get's nuked or worse.

I know all I want to know about hydraulics.

soybean likes this.

Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    Where was drain plug purchased and what type. Changing oil and filter is next on the list, before I crank up. Thank you, Jarrell
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/M14x1-5mm-M...item48c19d13df

Real Name
    Jay Swift
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gordo,

Really you should just switch everything over to a camless system. That's the obvious solution here 😉.

https://images.app.goo.gl/UEaoKwKjNzJneBHC9
    The Scifi Guy likes this.
    1973 GT
    2019 Hyundai Ioniq

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information