Security ! Security !
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By The Scifi Guy

Thread: Security ! Security !

Downloads
    Uploads

Security ! Security !

I tried to post this in Humor today but maybe it was too funny.

This morning I was poking around opelgt.... when suddenly my screen froze and this red poster appeared. See attached image.
    Urgent Advice to call Microsoft for a Foxfire security problem. Really ! I don't believe you can call MS for a Windows problem.
    To quote myself " I'm not as dumb as I look "

So I turned off the computer, did a scan with paid Malwarebytes, free Spybot S&D, and MS Security Essentials. Nothing to report.

Has anyone else experienced this today or recently ? Could it be related to site shutdown yesterday ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I got a questionnaire pop up last week asking me how satisfied I was with my Firefox browser. I checked off positive replies and was going to submit it when I noticed that it was a questionnaire from Microsoft(of Explorer browser fame). Why would Microsoft ask me how satisfied I was with their rival's Firefox browser? I did not submit.
    Ooooner and pumpkindriver like this.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRoy View Post
    I tried to post this in Humor today but maybe it was too funny.

This morning I was poking around opelgt.... when suddenly my screen froze and this red poster appeared. See attached image.
    Urgent Advice to call Microsoft for a Foxfire security problem. Really ! I don't believe you can call MS for a Windows problem.
    To quote myself " I'm not as dumb as I look "

So I turned off the computer, did a scan with paid Malwarebytes, free Spybot S&D, and MS Security Essentials. Nothing to report.

Has anyone else experienced this today or recently ? Could it be related to site shutdown yesterday ?
    Roy, I think you did the right thing. If you don't know for sure who it came from or why they are sending this message just delete it. There are so many scams these days, you always need to be on the alert. Wouldn't it be nice for the scammers to get regular jobs instead of ripping off unsuspecting people out of their money. I see the most scams are for squarespace. Your site has been shutdown until you sigh in, we are having a problem putting $3000.00 in your squarespace, sing in below, and a multitude of other variations. The email address shows, and it is never from squarespace. Plus the fact that I don't have a website, and I don't have squarespace.

Bob
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Tim
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just get the phone calls.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The fractured English is a clue that it is not on the up and up. Is "808" a true toll-free number? I know there is a scam going around now where people get a late-night telephone call, where the phone rings once or twice and then stops ringing. The recipient sees the telephone number starting with an "8" or "9" and, thinking it is tool-free, re-dials to see what the caller wanted. They then get routed to a very expensive toll call.
    https://www.freep.com/story/money/pe...ng/3661521002/

Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't forget the ever popular "Customer, your Invoice is overdue, please pay the attached invoice" scam.
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

Real Name
    Lynn
    Downloads
    Uploads

Scam

It is a scam. Agree with Michael.

"The fractured English is a clue." (among other things).

Three people I know received the same phone call yesterday. I was one of them. Told me they had possible new solution to my student debt problem. Gave me a reference number, and asked me to call an 866 number to get the scoop. I haven't had a car payment since 1970. I darn sure don't have student loans. Scum bag scammers.

Thread Information