Mirrors
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By BQS4
  • 1 Post By tealcarver
  • 1 Post By soybean
  • 1 Post By tealcarver
  • 1 Post By soybean
  • 2 Post By Gary
  • 1 Post By tealcarver
  • 1 Post By slracer

Thread: Mirrors

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mirrors

Has anyone tried any mirrors such as these on their GT? Thanks, Jarrell
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Opel-Manta-...7ba673571bc08f
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    Jarrell
    Those are the copies of the Engel Mann mirrors from the factory, I have a set minus the mounting blocks. They look awesome on GTs and Mantas. Good price from the Ebay auction, you can't go wrong.
    Gene
    The Cub likes this.
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BQS4 View Post
    Jarrell
    Those are the copies of the Engel Mann mirrors from the factory, I have a set minus the mounting blocks. They look awesome on GTs and Mantas. Good price from the Ebay auction, you can't go wrong.
    Gene
    Thanks Gene, so they fit the curvature of the body? Jarrell

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Gene, so they fit the curvature of the body? Jarrell
    Thanks Gene, got them. Coming up for the Nationals? Jarrell

3000 Post Club Site Supporter P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They fit the GT nicely.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by P.J. Romano View Post
    They fit the GT nicely.
    They look really nice P.J. Thanks for the picture. Jarrell

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well Jerrell, I saw the link you posted and got the last set the seller had. Tired of not being able to see both sides when backing up. Thanks for the post. I was looking for some mirrors, and you found them for me.

Bob
    soybean likes this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tealcarver View Post
    Well Jerrell, I saw the link you posted and got the last set the seller had. Tired of not being able to see both sides when backing up. Thanks for the post. I was looking for some mirrors, and you found them for me.Bob
    You're welcome Bob, I was the same way. I just couldn't see. There is another solution I haven't persued yet. A backup camera. I bought one at Oreillys for my Durango. I hooks into your back up lights, comes on when you go into reverse, or set it up to be on full time. Mounts to license plate at top. It is wireless. Plugs into cigarette lighter in front with an on/off button. 2 wires to power the receiver. It was a P.I.B. to wire on the Durango, but it works. It gets fuzzy sometimes when you back up. It might have been the way I wired it. Just a thought. Jarrell
    tealcarver likes this.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You're welcome Bob, I was the same way. I just couldn't see. There is another solution I haven't persued yet. A backup camera. I bought one at Oreillys for my Durango. I hooks into your back up lights, comes on when you go into reverse, or set it up to be on full time. Mounts to license plate at top. It is wireless. Plugs into cigarette lighter in front with an on/off button. 2 wires to power the receiver. It was a P.I.B. to wire on the Durango, but it works. It gets fuzzy sometimes when you back up. It might have been the way I wired it. Just a thought. Jarrell
    Jarrell, never even thought of a backup camera, guess I am really old school. I have one in the motor home, and it works great, but never thought about putting one in the GT. I guess that i am to "period correct".

Bob
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Jarrell, never even thought of a backup camera, guess I am really old school. I have one in the motor home, and it works great, but never thought about putting one in the GT. I guess that i am to "period correct".Bob
    Me too on the "period correct", but the camera doesn't take up much room at all. The problem I see is how to get the 2 wires to the reverse lights without drilling a hole in the body. The Durango had a slot the wires would fit through, plus you had to have a common hot wire, hot all the time, for the trasmitter to work. It was a P.I.B. to wire the Transmitter up, The receiver was easy. It is just a thought for now. Take care, Jarrell

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Me too on the "period correct", but the camera doesn't take up much room at all. The problem I see is how to get the 2 wires to the reverse lights without drilling a hole in the body. The Durango had a slot the wires would fit through, plus you had to have a common hot wire, hot all the time, for the trasmitter to work. It was a P.I.B. to wire the Transmitter up, The receiver was easy. It is just a thought for now. Take care, Jarrell
    Bob, I don't recall "ghost flames" from the early '70s? I guess my memory of that "period" is inaccurate? Actually, when I first got my GT and started planning and making some mods, a backup camera was high on my list. As a result, when I started building my full width rear bumper (replacing the 2 bumperettes) I added a center section to hold the camera. As I have not been working on my GT (playing with my Bonneville bike instead), technology has improved. I'm now wondering if anyone knows about being able to use one of the double DIN audio systems screens as the display? I just started looking into that but haven't gotten any answers on the wiring? The pic below shows the bumper with and added center section and the camera hole. I doubt that 1 person in 10 would question it (except for the Forum Folks). -- Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    Bob, I don't recall "ghost flames" from the early '70s? I guess my memory of that "period" is inaccurate? Actually, when I first got my GT and started planning and making some mods, a backup camera was high on my list. As a result, when I started building my full width rear bumper (replacing the 2 bumperettes) I added a center section to hold the camera. As I have not been working on my GT (playing with my Bonneville bike instead), technology has improved. I'm now wondering if anyone knows about being able to use one of the double DIN audio systems screens as the display? I just started looking into that but haven't gotten any answers on the wiring? The pic below shows the bumper with and added center section and the camera hole. I doubt that 1 person in 10 would question it (except for the Forum Folks). -- Doug
    Yeah, I see. The Flat panel in the center is just that, a flat panel. The bottom holes, left and right are for Exhaust? Just curious. Looking good though. Got to make a start somewhere. I looked into one of those "gadgets" that take the place of the radio, push the button, tray slides out, flips up, can use bluetooth, GPS, etc. Son is gung hoe for it, Im "meh" Jarrell

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's funny, I have quite a few things on my GT that are not period correct, so it really doesn't matter. I have seats, 13 circuit blade fuse box, an electric fan, an overflow for the radiator, an all aluminum radiator, electronic ignition, A player that gets it play list from an SD card, in MP3 format, and the list goes on. A back up camera is now on the list too.
    I want to be able to drive the GT without some of the problems I have experienced before making all the changes. I was painting flames on cars during my high school days, but you are right, ghost flames are fairly new. That was in the 60's.

Bob
    soybean likes this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's funny, I have quite a few things on my GT that are not period correct, so it really doesn't matter. I have seats, 13 circuit blade fuse box, an electric fan, an overflow for the radiator, an all aluminum radiator, electronic ignition, A player that gets it play list from an SD card, in MP3 format, and the list goes on. A back up camera is now on the list too.
    I want to be able to drive the GT without some of the problems I have experienced before making all the changes. I was painting flames on cars during my high school days, but you are right, ghost flames are fairly new. That was in the 60's.

Bob
    What kind of player Bob? I have an Alpine but doesn't play mp3s. Check Oreilleys for the back up camera. There is a way to keep it on permanently so you can see idiots behind you. Mine goes fuzzy for a bit. I think I wired it wrong. And what was wrong with the 60s? Good bands, good music, good times, until 65-68. Send me a pm or post here if you get a backup camera. I have a few thoughts why there is a fuzzy picture at times. Jarrell
    Last edited by soybean; 5 Days Ago at 07:12 AM.
    tealcarver likes this.

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the reminder. I went and located the box with the original Englemqan's in it that I bought years ago.

They go on the wagon today!

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What kind of player Bob? I have an Alpine but doesn't play mp3s. Check Oreilleys for the back up camera. There is a way to keep it on permanently so you can see idiots behind you. Mine goes fuzzy for a bit. I think I wired it wrong. And what was wrong with the 60s? Good bands, good music, good times, until 65-68. Send me a pm or post here if you get a backup camera. I have a few thoughts why there is a fuzzy picture at times. Jarrell
    It's a Jensen Player don't have the model number. It plays regular CD's, or MP3's from the SD card. It has a 16 GB card. The card is far from full, I have about 400 songs (remember Napster?). I can go for hours when the radio is set to random, and I never hear the same song twice. The radio was less than a hundred dollars and although I had to cut the opening for the radio it was not that much, and with the removable faceplate on, it covers and imperfections that might be present. My buddy is bringing my GT from Mt. Shasta this weekend so I will get a picture posted then.

Bob
    soybean likes this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a Jensen Player don't have the model number. It plays regular CD's, or MP3's from the SD card. It has a 16 GB card. The card is far from full, I have about 400 songs (remember Napster?). I can go for hours when the radio is set to random, and I never hear the same song twice. The radio was less than a hundred dollars and although I had to cut the opening for the radio it was not that much, and with the removable faceplate on, it covers and imperfections that might be present. My buddy is bringing my GT from Mt. Shasta this weekend so I will get a picture posted then.

Bob
    Good! I'll have to schedule another trip to Stagecoach so I can see it for real. FWIW, he has a 30-something Chevy panel truck with ghost flames. I'll try to get some pics. -- Doug
    soybean likes this.

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I see. The Flat panel in the center is just that, a flat panel. The bottom holes, left and right are for Exhaust? Just curious. Looking good though. Got to make a start somewhere. I looked into one of those "gadgets" that take the place of the radio, push the button, tray slides out, flips up, can use bluetooth, GPS, etc. Son is gung hoe for it, Im "meh" Jarrell
    Hey Jarrell (and all else involved), I just returned from 3+ weeks in England, Ireland, and Scotland (travelled on June 13+). Woke up in London at 0630 (London time) and arrived home (actual place with a bed) at 0730 on June 14 (still in London time, 9:30 PM June 13 in Phoenix). Needless to say, the next couple of days I didn't get much done!

I have always considered the rear of the GT as its weakest design area, mostly because the car is so narrow. Breaking the "narrow" into 3 pieces; 2 bumperettes and the gap with a smaller element, the license plate, making it look even narrower. I made the rear bumper into a full piece and it wraps around (like the front bumper, because that is what I started with) so it "adds" about 8 inches to the outside width. Moving the license plate down also improves the look JMHO. The bottom holes were intended to look like Exhaust, but are actually the backup lights (LEDs) with the top of the "hole" being longer than the bottom so they don't point up too much, but the light can spread better on the bottom. I don't care much for the 2 to 4 exhaust pipes sticking out the back either so it will be a single exhaust behind the passenger side rear wheel, nothing visible from the rear. As for the gadgets replacing the radio, I am with you. What I want to do there is the same as the rear of the car, simplify! The size of a useful rear view screen is out of line so I am looking for something else. Except for the size, one of the ones that use the rear view mirror would be good, but they are either too small for the camera or too big as a rear view mirror. The new wireless hookups technology look promising. -- Doug

Since you have been away for a while (and other people are new here too), here are some threads of my plans:

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/2b-sea...x-7-seats.html
    https://www.opelgt.com/forums/2b-sea...headliner.html
    https://www.opelgt.com/forums/2b-sea...rs-mirror.html
    https://www.opelgt.com/forums/2d-bod...r-me-easy.html
    https://www.opelgt.com/forums/2b-sea...les-101-a.html

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Jarrell (and all else involved), I just returned from 3+ weeks in England, Ireland, and Scotland (travelled on June 13+). Woke up in London at 0630 (London time) and arrived home (actual place with a bed) at 0730 on June 14 (still in London time, 9:30 PM June 13 in Phoenix). Needless to say, the next couple of days I didn't get much done!

I have always considered the rear of the GT as its weakest design area, mostly because the car is so narrow. Breaking the "narrow" into 3 pieces; 2 bumperettes and the gap with a smaller element, the license plate, making it look even narrower. I made the rear bumper into a full piece and it wraps around (like the front bumper, because that is what I started with) so it "adds" about 8 inches to the outside width. Moving the license plate down also improves the look JMHO. The bottom holes were intended to look like Exhaust, but are actually the backup lights (LEDs) with the top of the "hole" being longer than the bottom so they don't point up too much, but the light can spread better on the bottom. I don't care much for the 2 to 4 exhaust pipes sticking out the back either so it will be a single exhaust behind the passenger side rear wheel, nothing visible from the rear. As for the gadgets replacing the radio, I am with you. What I want to do there is the same as the rear of the car, simplify! The size of a useful rear view screen is out of line so I am looking for something else. Except for the size, one of the ones that use the rear view mirror would be good, but they are either too small for the camera or too big as a rear view mirror. The new wireless hookups technology look promising. -- Doug

Since you have been away for a while (and other people are new here too), here are some threads of my plans:

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/2b-sea...x-7-seats.html
    https://www.opelgt.com/forums/2b-sea...headliner.html
    https://www.opelgt.com/forums/2b-sea...rs-mirror.html
    https://www.opelgt.com/forums/2d-bod...r-me-easy.html
    https://www.opelgt.com/forums/2b-sea...les-101-a.html
    Thanks for the links, I can see some good reading. I have some Miata seats, but not really fond of how I had to mount them. Jarrell

Thread Information