The Decline of Automobile Ownership - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: The Decline of Automobile Ownership

Real Name
    Tim
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's not just cars. The next generations are traveling light. They don't want any of it. We have seen it with our daughters and friends' children. You used to pass things down to the next generation to keep some of the family history. Now it is all going into a dumpster. We collected stuff, they don't want stuff. The thrift stores aren't taking this stuff anymore because they are overloaded. So cars are just more stuff they don't need.
    soybean, okieopel and m610 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    It's not just cars. The next generations are traveling light. They don't want any of it. We have seen it with our daughters and friends' children. You used to pass things down to the next generation to keep some of the family history. Now it is all going into a dumpster. We collected stuff, they don't want stuff. The thrift stores aren't taking this stuff anymore because they are overloaded. So cars are just more stuff they don't need.
    Fortunately, or Unfortunately, my son is interested in Farming. What he doesn't realise is the Commitment need to make this "Farm" work. I have apx 300 Acres of open land. I had at 1 time 250 acres planted, cultivated, and harvested by me alone. And a 2nd job as well as a cut man on a carpentry crew. I did not have a choice in this decision, I made sure he did. I did not want to see him work his butt off just to "get by". So I am retired now, I collected "stuff" that I was going to use "someday" and "someday" has finally come. But I do not want to see him incour mssive amounts of debt to make this "Farm" run. NO. Do I want him to work 2 jobs to "get by" No. Do I want to see him in my condition at 65. No. He is thrifty, heck he's tighter than me. He went to our local College and got a degree in Computer Sciences. No jobs available in our area, Winston, Greensboro, Eastside Va. So he drops back to music. Heck of a guitar player too. A couple of national bands have heard him and want him. 200 plus hrs on the road a year. He wants to stay on "the Farm". Very admirable, but will not provide him any money. I have it set up now, so that "we are taken care of" for the rest of our lives. His too. Now, I did not buy this "Farm", I was passed on to me. I did not buy,nor build,our house, my parents did, I did not buy nor collect all the antiques that are here, my Father did. I did get a few things later. He (son) collects "Stuff" and is thrifty. There are no jobs in his speciality, he does have music, playing in 2 bands, to "make ends meet" is interested in my Opels, my "Mules" (M274-A4 and A5), wathed me rebuild a carb on my A -4 yesterday and crank it and run. There are those few "Kids" who are interested in collecting cars, antiques, and "stuff", they will be the ones who will take over our rides when we quit, or leave the scene. JM2Cts worth. Jarrell
    Last edited by soybean; 06-17-2019 at 09:06 AM. Reason: spelling
    Commodåren likes this.
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think part of it is that for many people over a certain age and not living with decent mass transit, a car meant freedom. Now, not so much.
    "No, it's not fiberglass."
    "No, the motor is not in the back."
    "No, your friend in high school did not 'peg' his speedometer."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information