Let's Talk About the Weather!
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Let's Talk About the Weather!

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads

Let's Talk About the Weather!

Yesterday on the radio, going to work, I heard that they were reducing speeds on the Autobahn because it was 101 degrees

Holy cow! Germany, longitude-wise, is like where Maine is! 101 degrees! Summer just started!

Today, on the radio, coming home from work, they said that it was going to be 98-104 degrees in Italy and that the hospitals were bracing for an influx of heat related patients.

You never hear nuthin' about the weather in Europe on the radio and only once in a while on tv.. We never hear nuthin' about the weather in Canada and Mexico where I live in Jersey. Canada ain't that far away, only about 300 miles or so.

Yo, wassup with the rain and the flooding in the Mid-West? Have you guys out there driven your Opels yet?

Yo, wassup with the snow in the Central Northern States? Has the snow melted yet?

And what about M610 Land(California)? He was saying that he was working in 100+ degree weather.

It's actually been a pretty smooth ride for me here in southern New Jersey. The temps have been moderate and rain has been fair and even. But just 25-50 miles to the west in Pennsylvania or north in northern New Jersey and New York, it hasn't stopped raining or snowing for about 2 years.

We're getting our first heat wave right now. That means temps in the 90's with really high humidity for next 4-5 days.

I'm going to live in my nice cold basement.

Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 06-27-2019 at 07:44 PM.
    soybean likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Tim
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Was on a conference call today with one of the participants in Italy. She stated it was over 100 there.

It is humid here in NH today. It is only June. I thought we left the humidity in Ohio. We had to install the window AC yesterday.

Just renewed our flood insurance.
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Last night a thunder cell moved over my house. It wasn't that big, all things considered, but it dumped a couple inches of rain in less than an hour.

It was the biggest downpour I've ever seen in Portland Oregon.

Been under 80 for a couple weeks. Sure is nice!
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

3000 Post Club Site Supporter P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's been a really nice spring and summer here in NW Washington. Some light rain periodically. I think it hit over 80 once so far, the rest in the 60s and 70s.
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

Real Name
    Mel
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cold and very rainy spring here in the upper midwest. Rivers are still high and temperatures below normal. Until today.....got up to 95, with humidity to match. Then a thunderstorm came through - lots of rain, high winds, crashing and banging. And just like that - it's 65. Standard saying here in Wisconsin - don't like the weather? Wait five minutes!

The good news is that I did have the GT out to a show. It got a trophy, just before the rain hit. I also had it out today, just before the rain hit. It's our family motto - "Got a drought? Call us out!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    My daughter called me yesterday from Majorca and reported temp was about 100 , weather report said 40 c .
    She is in Spain this week, thought she would get out of Phoenix / Scottsdale weather but it's not happening this time.

I took a picture (several actually) of a VW Scirocco at a Saturday car show. VW names usually mean something
    and it turns out Scirocco refers to a Hot wind from Africa that blows into the Mediterranean and parts of Europe.
    As the earth gets warmer it seems less able to cope with 'normal' patterns like this wind.

This pic and notes will end my latest slide show *** Well.. nothing opened when I clicked on "Manage Attachments"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's the Scirocco. 'Hot Wind' fits the neighborhood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRoy View Post
    I bought a 78 Scirocco new, then sold it and bought an 86 one. Fun to drive but lots of electrical glitches along the way. On the 78 I added a BAE turbo system, lowering springs and f/r swaybars and it was sweet. The 86 was 16V so I didn't have to do anything to it.
    RallyBob and The Scifi Guy like this.

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Roy, what is the "hot dessert", one of those things they pour liquor on and light on fire? I had one of those when I was a sophomore in high school but it wouldn't light so they added a 2nd shot of whatever it was. It still didn't do much more than "poof" but my mother said it was OK so I ate (drank?) it that way. Out here in the Arizona DESERT I leave out the DESSERT and drink the liquor (whatever it is)! ... ...

Doug

PS - Mike is coming over tomorrow and get the Opel motor (from 'Yellow'). Almost all the mechanical parts are gone unless they are still on the hulk.

Downloads
    Uploads

VW names usually mean something
    and it turns out Scirocco refers to a Hot wind from Africa that blows into the Mediterranean and parts of Europe.

Chevrolet found out a bit late that "Nova" in Spanish means "Doesn't go".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Doug et al, There are multiple possibilities for 'Dessert'. Maybe it was meant as a pun,
    or I wanted to see if anyone was paying attention, ... or maybe late at night after
    a sip of Southern Comfort, Well several sips, I confuse Dessert with Desert, or maybe
    I just trust spell checker to know what I mean to say.
    Maybe I can't spell and need a proof-reader.

Ken, I would be happy to have a Scirocco now, even better a Corrado. ( Hope I spelled those correctly )
    This was the first Scirocco I have seen in a long time, can't remember seeing a Corrado for even longer.

It would have been nice if the Opel Calibra had been available here in the U S. NOTE Opel mentioned.

Strayed a bit from the weather so let me add that 104 + is forecast for weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ken, I would be happy to have a Scirocco now, even better a Corrado. ( Hope I spelled those correctly )
    This was the first Scirocco I have seen in a long time, can't remember seeing a Corrado for even longer.

It would have been nice if the Opel Calibra had been available here in the U S. NOTE Opel mentioned.

Strayed a bit from the weather so let me add that 104 + is forecast for weekend.
    I really liked the look of the Corrados, and when they came out I went to the dealer with intent to buy. During the test "sit", with the seat as low as it would go, the top of my 6' head was rubbing the headliner. It was not to be. In retrospect a Gurney Bubble could have been added....

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Two days ago with the heat index it was 111 here in Florida, actual temp was 96. Funny how in NY & NJ if there are 3 90 degree days they call it a heat wave and down here if there are 3 days below 90 they call it freezing. I played golf at 1:38pm on Tuesday, it was smokin' hot, but I would rather have smokin' hot then freakin' cold.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Wilwood Brks,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35i BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335ix '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Real Name
    Anders Teglman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gents,

In Denmark (small country north of Germany, at longitude 56.26 degrees north) we had a scolding hot summer last year. This summer the weather has not been quite as hot as last year, but though we (still) have not reached temperatures as rest of Europe it was a solid 87.8 Fahrenheit yesterday, which is unusually hot for any Scandinavian country.

Cheers.

Real Name
    Craig Roberts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've had good weather here on Long Island and at the apartment in NYC until yesterday when it hit 90. today it will hit 92 and 90 this weekend. I normally ride my bike about 20 miles a day in the morning when it's in the 70's.... I hate riding/racing when it's 90 + with 90% humidity but sometimes that's the way it is... Still better than being in my Opel w/no AC stuck in stop and go traffic.

I was just in Daytona Beach and the heat and humidity there was terrible. I have to go back to get the E type MGB and Bugeye and 2 Vettes & 2 motorcycles and sell them or ship them to AZ.

Watching the Austrian GP and they are complaining about the stifling heat... I've never been in a firesuit in a race car but that has got to be really hot.
    Craig Roberts

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Back in the 80's I had a coworker with a Scirocco and some friends with Rabbits. I remember marveling at how nicely the engine compartments were laid out. They kind of mounted everything really nicely around the periphery of the engine compartment. They seemed like cars that would be a pleasure to work on because everything was easy to get at.

Never drove in one of the Rabbits, but I drove the Scirocco once and it was nice and fast, but what really caught my notice was the "lack of sense of speed" through the windshield. 60mph felt like we were going 25mph. I could see myself getting lots of speeding tickets in that car!

Dagnabbit! I've got a super rare plant called Cycas Siamensis-silver form, that refuses to even start growing until it's 80* and wants schittloads of sun. It's only 93* today and humidity ain't too bad(50%) and I watered all my potted plants extensively yesterday, but when I got home from work today that plant was all wilted and laying flat. I picked up the pot to move it to the shade and it was light as a feather. All the water had been boiled out of the pot and the giant saucer filled up like a swimming pool in 24 hours. It's in intensive care as we speak.......

Cycas-siamensis-silver-form.jpg
    Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 06-28-2019 at 05:00 PM.

Real Name
    Karl Senula
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What part of NJ do you live in Gordon???? Last year was a record for rainfall and this year is not that far behind. We have been getting tons of rain for almost 2 years now.
    Karl

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Northern NJ got hammered with rain, Southern NJ got less. Most of the storms that hit Pennsylvania swept just north of us and hit North Jersey and New York. I can't tell ya how many times I braced for rain that never came. Where I live, I'm in the heat shadow of Philly, snow and rain often bypass my little neck of the woods and it will rain all around Camden/Collingswood, N/S/E/W, but we won't get a drop.
    Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 06-28-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    Manta Rallier likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I doubt they really meant "Hot Desert Wind"

It was probably a bad translation of "Fiery Chili Fart"
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    Humans are not an endangered species!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information