Original color paint source?
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original color paint source?

Real Name
    AJ
    Downloads
    Uploads

Original color paint source?

It's been a few years since I've tried my hand at actual bodywork and not that I was very good back then buuut I gotta try to 'Church Up' my GT a bit🤨

I can get all the fillers and high build(block sandable) primer locally but does anyone know an online source for about a quart of the original 72 yellow and if there was any 'pre loaded' into rattle cans ready to spray? Used to be a local guy in Orange County that would prefill aerosol cans with reducer/hardener that would be good for at least a week and I could spray when prepped. I'm just gonna do a few blend spots, not a whole respray.

Thanks AJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm curious too. I'd like to be able to do some touchups from stonechips and the like, until the someday when I'm ready to do a full paint job.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have searched four different automotive touch-up paint sites, and not one of them even lists the Opel.

It is a harsh and cruel world out there...

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    AJ
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    I have searched four different automotive touch-up paint sites, and not one of them even lists the Opel.

I did the same but a couple offer a contact them option to put in year/make/color and they will get back to you. However, they don't sell quarts. Did you locate the 'color code' for the yellow?

Real Name
    AJ
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did the search a bit differently and found these guys. I entered the name Citrous Yellow and the code and the site spit out some pricing but it doesn't say for WHAT SIZE?. So I'm gonna speak to a live person there before I drop 300. On it.

Can anyone who knows (without guessing like I did&#x1f62c if Citrous Yellow is correct?

AJ

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The color is Chrome Yellow...and is actually still a current color selection through DuPont. Other colors are hard at time to get and we have to pick up something matched. When printed out from paint store, it’s called Ohio Bulk Transfer yellow
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I will check my car tonight, but when my car was in restoration, we looked at an area that didn't have any paint fade and it matched perfectly with a 1998 New Beetle. It is a light yellow and it is a 1972 GT with the "white" interior, so that may be an alternative.
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    The color is Chrome Yellow...and is actually still a current color selection through DuPont. Other colors are hard at time to get and we have to pick up something matched. When printed out from paint store, it’s called Ohio Bulk Transfer yellow
    Indeed, you can get the paint through a body shop supply store. I was responding to the request for an on-line source and, frankly, I am a bit surprised that "Opel" is not even listed on the four sites I searched.

Have just done my GT in another shade of yellow, I will pass on the body shop's warning to me that yellow is one of the most expensive colors on the shelf. With all of the other chemicals involved (tint, clearcoat, etc), I was in at just under $1,000 for the gallon.

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yellow is the most expensive color??? Not that I know of. Red and candy red pigments are the most expensive. Though yellow does get red mixed in, but yellow is one of the cheaper colors. If you have $1000 in just one gallon of paint, what are you spraying? I can get most any colors except for a Candy Red for a lot less money. Certain brands can be pricey, but now if that included your clear coat...that sounds okay
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    John
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post

Paintscratch.com > 1973 Buick > Buick Opel

Downloads
    Uploads
    We have a paint store here that is connected to Hymans in Chicago. When I needed to repaint the lower half of my door they tried to come up with a number but didn't quite look right in their chips. They took their scanner and read what was on the Gt to get close on a book of chips with holes in them. when they got close we took those out to hold up to the GT. When we agreed on one they mixed it up in a rattle can for me that had to have the hardener punctured and was only useable for a short Time after. Color was dead on. I think around 50 for the whole shot.

Real Name
    Painfully Obvious
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My local NAPA store color matches from the paint code on the car and fills rattle cans for $20. Not sure if all of them do, but then again, this particular store has always been known for it's paint department. I know they are franchised, and my local one is currently being bought out by a big company.
    Opel GT... Even when the destination sucks, the trip is gonna' be a BLAST!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    Yellow is the most expensive color??? Not that I know of. Red and candy red pigments are the most expensive. Though yellow does get red mixed in, but yellow is one of the cheaper colors. If you have $1000 in just one gallon of paint, what are you spraying? I can get most any colors except for a Candy Red for a lot less money. Certain brands can be pricey, but now if that included your clear coat...that sounds okay
    Just relaying what the restoration shop passed on to me, although I do not think he was including the specialty colors such as candy-apple red in his comparison. To be fair, there is yellow and then there is yellow, and the prices scale down. I specified Giallo Fer 102, Ferrari Light Yellow and the shop came back telling me that this is one of the most expensive colors at just under $1K/gallon. I suggested he give me a price for Opel's Chrome Yellow (YY-446) and he came back with a number around $800+ and with the comment that I would probably not like it as much as the Ferrari number. I took his advice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbinjax View Post
    Paintscratch.com > 1973 Buick > Buick Opel
    Good catch! I had limited my search to 1972 models, per the original post. Paintscratch.com only shows "All Models" for 1972 and the color spectrum they offer does not include any of the Opel colors.

I have used Paintscratch.com on a number of occasions and I have found the matches to be excellent, although I have mostly only used them for brush-on to fill chips and minor scratches. I did purchase their spray kit several years ago to repair a mistake on my girlfriend's Audi and was less than impressed with the color match, but that may have been more my lack of talent than Paintscratch's product.

Real Name
    John
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You have to get created with your searches. I usually search for '72 even though mine is a '73. In this case I did a google search for my color with GM code of L529 and it directed me to Paintscratch for '75. I went to '72 and it wasn't there but then went to '73. And, if they don't list Opel, try Buick. In the past I had gotten touch-up paint from Express Paint but lately they said they don't do my color anymore. I'll try Paintscratch next.

Real Name
    AJ
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lotsa good info in this thread, thank you to all who contributed! I think I would be wise to fix the brakes first😳 Master went out I have a couple calls out for local parts

AJ

PS. Not Opels but these are a few of my other cars. Anyone know this specific model 😉?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are those Lebaron convertibles? All I encountered had pretty leaky tops when new but that may have just been the two I used
    My Collection:
    69 Silver Opel GT (Mystery Targa Car)
    70 Yellow Opel Gt (First car)
    70 Blue /Yellow (Racer)
    71 Orange Opel (Hmm Car)
    72 White Opel Gt (Mostly Stock)
    73 Black Opel Gt (Cabrio)
    Ocker (50th Tour Car)

12 Volvo C30 (Cosmo)
    07 CBR 1000rr (SPEED FIX Machine)
    65 F250 (for parts haulin)
    65 Fastback Stang (Sleeping Till Gt is back on the Road)
    87 & 88 Ysr 50 (street legal pocket bikes)

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There could be two yellow colors: Signal yellow, and chrome yellow. When I went to a paint store in the SF Bay area. They recommended Ditzler paint, It only comes in gallons and quarts. My GT is Chrome yellow. They also said that the paint was a two step process, color coat, and within 24 hours you have to apply the clear coat. You need a HVLP sprayer (good one is about $150) Then you will also need a compressor with substantial volume of air. (By the way HVLP stands for high volume. low pressure). I hooked my craftsman compressor and my son in laws Craftsman compressor and fed them into one separate tank. Hooked the sprayer to the same tank, and never had any problems. The clear coat is a two part mix, so read the instructions carefully. Results? I got a $5000.00 paint job for the cost of the sprayer and the paints, No runs, no lemon peel, and no bugs. If you have any skill with a rattle can, you will be able to paint your GT in about 4 hours total. It still looks brand new. It is a two part polyurethane paint that resists rocks or gravel damage. Hope that helps, it's been a while since I painted my GT, so the prices may have gone up since the time I painted mine. Yes, it's more expensive than rattle cans, but well worth the investment after it is done.

Bob
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Paint

Check out TPC global,I buy most of my paint from them.

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Opel-In-The-Rough View Post
    PS. Not Opels but these are a few of my other cars. Anyone know this specific model 😉?
    Wow, three Chrysler TC's by Maserati!!! Very timely, what with Lee Iacocca's passing
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT; next up is my 28,000 mile Garage Find GT, stored since 1975, which needs a LOT of love...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information