Greg Heinz Garage Fire
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Scifi Guy

Thread: Greg Heinz Garage Fire

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads

Greg Heinz Garage Fire

It was revealed on Facebook that fellow Opeler Greg Heinz had a garage fire that spread to his house. He lost everything including 5 cars in the garage. My condolences, Greg!

Here's the discussion so far this morning:

<<< My first 2.5L before and after garage fire. Not sure we can save anything but shop said they would look at it... — with Greg Heinz.

Greh Heinz fire 1.jpg Greh Heinz fire 2.jpg Greh Heinz fire 3.jpg Greh Heinz fire 4.jpg

Zane Pratt Beautiful, before picture, that’s a shame.
    Greg Heinz I forgot how detailed and beautiful that engine was!!
    Mike Pilkenton Not your garage I hope?
    Greg Heinz Mike Pilkenton Yes, the garage and the whole damn house!!!
    Mike Pilkenton Yours or Charles Goin? Wow!
    Zeppi Bauer Pretty bad fire if it melted the aluminum valve cover.
    Rally Bob Zeppi, notice the timing cover and intake manifold is completely gone!
    Charles Goin Rally Bob Not COMPLETELY.. there are art projects there hanging on.
    Greg Heinz Charles Goin The pieces of aluminum on the engine are the only aluminum pieces that survived. I had 5 vehicles in the garage and everything aluminum vaporized including all the rims, intake manifolds on V6’s, everything.
    Ronald A Garchar Enough to make you sick.
    Charles Goin Aluminium/Melting point - 1,221°F
    Charles Goin Iron, out of the ground, melts at around 1510 degrees C (2750°F). Steel often melts at around 1370 degrees C (2500°F).
    Charles Goin So... my guess is the fire was about 1250°F as the steel oil pan which is thin steel is fine.. Which is why I think the crank and other parts MAY be OK... with cleaning and spec'ing
    Greg Heinz Charles Goin The fire inspector said much of the garage reached 1800 degrees F but the motor sat under a window in front of garage about 25 feet from the center of the fire
    Charles Goin The remains of the timing cover

Greh Heinz fire 5.jpg

Charles Goin Valve cover

Greh Heinz fire 6.jpg

Charles Goin Surprisingly.. can reuse flange to make new intake.

Greh Heinz fire 7.jpg

Charles Goin Needs new valve train

Greh Heinz fire 8.jpg

Charles Goin BUT.. valves/head maybe reuseable.

Greh Heinz fire 9.jpg

Charles Goin Timing chain not so much

Greh Heinz fire 10.jpg

Zeppi Bauer Any idea what started this fire? To burn down an entire garage and a house... that's pretty intense.
    Greg Heinz Zeppi Bauer Suspected Vapor Return line clamp above the cadillac converter and starter on 2005 Mercury Mariner. A week link. Just parked in garage so hot engine.
    Zeppi Bauer Wow. Crazy something so small.
    Gordon Payton Omigosh this is just awful. Forget the stupid Opel stuff, you must be devastated at your overall loss! How terrible. You lost EVERYTHING in the house, no time to save anything? How many people in the house? Where are you staying now? My sincere condolences at your loss. Thank goodness no one was hurt or worse!

soybean likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had heard from Gil that several Opelers in California had lost there houses and cars during the big fire. A woman with a very nice 2.4 equipped GT had her car vaporized.

Real Name
    Lynn
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So sad.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    I had heard from Gil that several Opelers in California had lost there houses and cars during the big fire. A woman with a very nice 2.4 equipped GT had her car vaporized.
    Quite sad from Greg and the Lady in California. Jarrell
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My license plate
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Lynn
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just heartbreaking.

Condolences. I cringe every time I hear about loss from fire.

Need to take stock and adjust all my insurance policies on the classic cars. I can't imagine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I read somewhere that an African proverb says something .. " When a person dies it's like a library burning down"
    I suppose referring to all that individuals lost memories and experiences to no longer share with others.

A burning garage and house is not as tragic as death, but there is a loss that often can't really be replaced.
    My brother and his wife lost a house, garage, & barn and EVERYTHING inside to fire in Wyoming last year.
    They had built the house over 30 years ago, lost all possessions, computers, photos and souvenirs of world travels.
    It took some time to even prove they had fire insurance. Even lost their phones and their paper and plastic identity.

On the positive side..No Opels were harmed in that fire. But my sympathy is for anyone who has suffered that kind of loss.

I was a little alarmed this summer when I smelled smoke.
    This desert scrub fire was about 2 miles away, from my driveway it looked like it was in neighbors back yard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I saw what was left of the melted/burned valve cover from his engine when I visited Charlie.

We had a metal shop in HS and a furnace for melting and pouring aluminum into sand molds. I made a camera tripod and a universal joint out of cast aluminum. Unbelievable hot temperatures required to melt aluminum. There's a local company called Inductotherm that I applied to work at one time. They make the electrodes used to melt aluminum and stuff. I can't imagine what they must be made of to handle enough heat to melt aluminum. Maybe ceramic or something.....

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow that is just very sad to hear. You can never really understand what someone is going through like what Greg went through unless you have gone through it as well. We can just come along side and support as best as possible. Hope Greg is able to rebuild and move forward to get past this terrible tragedy. A saving grace is life was preserved. Property can be replaced not life
    Thinking and praying for you Greg and your family.

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    WOW that is terrible news thankfully they are not part of whats lost that's hot hot to do that kinda damage. I wish them the best and I'm sure if there's anything this community can do we will
    If you make it through an entire day and learned nothing you weren't paying attention

Thread Information