Pirelli Cinturato CN36 Tires
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Knorm65
  • 1 Post By Manta Rallier
  • 1 Post By GTeglman
  • 1 Post By Nasher
  • 2 Post By baz
  • 1 Post By GTeglman
  • 1 Post By Nasher
  • 1 Post By GTeglman

Thread: Pirelli Cinturato CN36 Tires

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pirelli Cinturato CN36 Tires

Anyone used these? I am thinking of them for my '75 1900. They look like a throwback to the types of performance tires I ran on the street 'back in the day'. (Pirelli's, Michelin XAS and XVS). Not cheap but tempting.
    https://www.lucasclassictires.com/18...857013CN36.htm

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Used 'em on my GT back in the day. I loved 'em and they look good.
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Manta Rallier View Post
    Anyone used these? I am thinking of them for my '75 1900. They look like a throwback to the types of performance tires I ran on the street 'back in the day'. (Pirelli's, Michelin XAS and XVS). Not cheap but tempting.
    https://www.lucasclassictires.com/18...857013CN36.htm
    Did you look at Tire Rack? They have these https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...60&diameter=13. I just got a set of the B.F. Goodrich. Jarrell
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lucas classic tires sells the CN36 in the 185-70-13 size you need. The description even mentions it was made for several German car models including Opel Manta

I will be purchasing the tire when my bf Goodrich redlines decompose. They are already 6 years old and fading fast. The CN36 will make the GT handle massively better. I’ve heard nothing but good thing about them.
    soybean likes this.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD, Working GM AC

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Those are some quick replies! Tnx.

And yes I have considered the the BFG Radial T/A's, Jarrell. You have to remember, I am an old gravel rally guy, and like to run fast and hard through the mountain roads here, some of which can be a bit rough. So I am not as much into lowered cars and stiff suspensions and such as others may be.... In fact, this new Opel 1900 has some lower, stiffer 5" springs up front that I will be pulling out and replacing with some of my old softer, taller front rally springs. Gotta have some ground clearance!

BTW, knorm65, the best deal I have found so far on these is from Longstone Classic Tyres in the UK. Unless you are near Long Beach CA and can pick up directly from Lucas, Longstone is cheaper on a set of 4, tax paid, and shipped. And a set of 5 is even a better buy; the 5th tire is $120, taxed and shipped. They advertise 6-7 days shipping time to the USA, and that is as long as it takes for ground shipping to VA from CA.
    https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/cla...rato-cn36.html
    Knorm65 likes this.

Real Name
    Anders Teglman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @Manta Rallier,

I currently running on Pirelli Cinturato CN36 (185/70/r13). There are no doubt cheaper alternatives, but I'm never the less very very very satisfied with my CN36 tires. The tire shoulders are more rounded than a modern tire, and in my experience they suits the GT well. Further the thread just makes them look fab. and period correct.

Cheer
    Manta Rallier likes this.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    did the Manta fit the Pirelli CN36 back in the day?
    soybean likes this.

Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    Uploads
    AFAIK the CN36 was never an OEM tire, at least on Opels bound for the US.
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ^^^^ Correct. Not the stock size IIRC. Not sure of Nasher's question though.... Is it whether these tires WILL fit OK, or were they sold as factory tires?
    soybean likes this.

baz
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    These were standard fit for Ford RS2000 back in the day. IIRC
    Last edited by baz; 10-15-2019 at 09:08 PM.
    soybean and Manta Rallier like this.
    An Eagle may fly high but a Weasel doesnt get sucked into a jet engine.

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    These were standard fot for Ford RS2000 back in the day. IIRC
    I think that says something positive for them!
    soybean likes this.

Real Name
    Anders Teglman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @Nasher

Short answer . Yes they will fit Opel Manta and the standard 13'' (J6) steel rims.
    soybean likes this.

Real Name
    Lynn
    Downloads
    Uploads
    tread pattern looks like the Goodyear spare in my 69 GT. It is dated 1969.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Out of interest the CN36 came out in 1968. It was one of the first low profile tyres. it was a mainstay sports car tyre throughout the '70s

Importantly it compliments chassis of that period. As chassis and suspension got more developed tyre manufacturers started making the carcass squarer to have a relatively wider foot print. to over come the handling problems this extra straight line grip created, the car manufacturers increased the adverse camber, Caster and stiffened the suspension.

the long and short of it is '60s & '70s cars drive better on full profile tyres like Michelins XAS or Pirelli's CA67. However when you are fitting low profile tyres to a '60s or '70s sporting car the handling is far more sporting and progressive on a CN36 or XWX.

yes a modern tyre will improve you straight line braking and give you less wheel spin, but at the expense of handling.
    GTeglman likes this.

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And don't forget the Michelin XVS..... I was running heavy American cars and that was the tire for them.
    GTeglman likes this.

Real Name
    Anders Teglman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
    Out of interest the CN36 came out in 1968. It was one of the first low profile tyres. it was a mainstay sports car tyre throughout the '70s

Importantly it compliments chassis of that period. As chassis and suspension got more developed tyre manufacturers started making the carcass squarer to have a relatively wider foot print. to over come the handling problems this extra straight line grip created, the car manufacturers increased the adverse camber, Caster and stiffened the suspension.

the long and short of it is '60s & '70s cars drive better on full profile tyres like Michelins XAS or Pirelli's CA67. However when you are fitting low profile tyres to a '60s or '70s sporting car the handling is far more sporting and progressive on a CN36 or XWX.

yes a modern tyre will improve you straight line braking and give you less wheel spin, but at the expense of handling.
    My opinion is somewhat biased as I do run on Pirelli CN36, but compared with the modern Falken I ran before, the CN36' are just spot on for a GT...- and of all the period correct tires I think they are the best looking as well.

Cheers
    Manta Rallier likes this.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GTeglman View Post
    My opinion is somewhat biased as I do run on Pirelli CN36, but compared with the modern Falken I ran before, the CN36' are just spot on for a GT...- and of all the period correct tires I think they are the best looking as well.

Cheers
    just to clarify; are you saying the CN36 is better than the modern Falken on your car

Real Name
    Anders Teglman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
    just to clarify; are you saying the CN36 is better than the modern Falken on your car
    @Nasher,

To be fair, the Falken SN828 tires I replaced with the Pirelli CN36 was 9 years old. There was a lot of pattern left, but the rubber was probably staring to harden quite bad and loosing flexibility. The Falken SN 828 tested badly for wet condition, and I can confirm that my GT felt all over the place when driving on wet roads.

Whether the Pirelli CN36 is better than a modern new Falken tire (or Michelin, Continental, etc) I'm in no position judge. When Pirelli started the reproduction of the CN36 it was in corporation with Porsche, and I think reviews showed they where (close) on par with a modern tire in dry / wet conditions, but the more rounded tire shoulders suited the handling characteristics of the classic Porsche 911 better than a modern tire.

In a AutoBild test in 2016 it was voted as the best classic tire, compared to Vredestein "Sprint Classic", Michelin "Collection XWX", and Blockley "Radial TL"

Personlly I'll guess that the tire patter on the Pirelli CN36 have limitations in wet conditions, but I can only say that I'm overly satisfied with my Pirelli CN36 purchase, and when I have chewed my way thru them I'll bye the same again.

Cheers.

Thread Information