Stalling question - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Stalling question

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    Thanks, I'll hook up the original wire today. Jarrell
    Jarrell, ensure that the Pertronix itself is powered by a non-resistored supply. They function more reliably with a full 12+ volts (most cars being ~13 to 14 volts). And as Manta Rallier has mentioned, a resistor wire in only needed if the coil is non-resistored.
    Manta Rallier likes this.
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT; next up is my 28,000 mile Garage Find GT, stored since 1975, which needs a LOT of love...

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Eric
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, replacing the coil didn't fix the issue. Took it for a drive and after 30 minutes or so, same stalling issue. I'll just tell myself it needed a new coil anyways!

However, I'm 99% sure it's the fuel tank vent issue. When it stalled, I got out, turned the gas cap, and you could tell there was suction and could hear the air rushing in as it untwisted. I just replaced the gas cap rubber gasket a couple months ago and all the vent lines on the tank this past winter (one was completely disconnected for who knows how many years), but haven't driven that far in it before recently. I removed the gasket under the cap and it hasn't stalled again. Yet, anyways.

I would have never thought that may be the issue in a million years, so thanks for the idea to check that out!
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, this can be insidious. Someone had put a 'pre-release' cap on my '62 Dodge Dart that was stuck open so it vented OK. One day it decided to unstick and closed up, and after 1.5 miles of driving 'FOOM', the fuel tank got sucked in from the vacuum pressure! Sounds like your fuel system had unintentional venting, and then you went and fixed it LOL.
    Last edited by Manta Rallier; 07-26-2019 at 04:38 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I was flabbergasted myself when that turned out to be the problem. Norbert had flown over here from Germany just to attend the debut of my GTX car at Carlisle. He followed me in my Pontiac Solstice. After topping off the gas we got 20 minutes into the 2 hour trip and I was stuck on the side of the road. We went wild for 1/2 hour checking everything under the hood. Started the car and only made it 5 more miles before I was stuck again. I had noticed the tight gas cap and the whooshing sound the week before, but didn't think anything about it. On a lark, I removed the gas cap. BIG whooshing sound. Hmmmmm.....I wonder....so I removed the gasket, started the car, and finished the 2 hour drive without incident. Then, just 5 miles from home, coming back 2 days later, I ran out of gas going over one of the BIG bridges that goes across the Delaware river into Jersey. The bridge had 3 lanes going in each direction, but the whole middle lane was closed off for construction. We were in the left lane. Right at the top the car ran out of gas and shut down. I had to coast to the bottom in heavy traffic at 50mph. Then, just before the toll booths, the closed middle lane terminated in a whole bunch of traffic cones. I looked, I double checked, I looked again, then did an abrupt, no warning, rip between the cones, then a gap between 2 cars in the right lane, to safety in a wide area at the base of the bridge. Amazingly, Norbert, driving in a foreign country, in a borrowed car, hung right with me and ended up with me at the base of the bridge! A friendly cop showed up and fetched a gallon of gas for me and we made it home. Wow, that was some adventure for Norbert!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information