Berlin Klassik
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree20Likes
  • 11 Post By P.J. Romano
  • 4 Post By soybean
  • 3 Post By dpre
  • 2 Post By MikeNotigan

Thread: Berlin Klassik

3000 Post Club Site Supporter P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads

Berlin Klassik

I am not big fan of car shows unless there are Opels there. Berlin Klassik is one of the largest car shows in Canada. It is specialized for German vehicles. The show takes place on the site of race track with the cars located infield. The show was only 35 miles from Goderich, so I decided to participate.

The title “Berlin Klassik” was deceiving. There was very few classic cars, most were modern German cars enhanced by turbos, huge wheels, lambo doors, etc. Sure enough, there was no class for Opels, so they put me in Miscellaneous European Cars. That class included few Lamborghinis, Ferrari, bunch of Minis and Volvos and even Aston Martin and McLaren. My GT and I felt odd in that company of mostly young people and modern tuner cars. On top of everything, they have asked me to park in the middle of some empty area. The only reason why I didn’t turn around and left was $60 fee that I have already paid.

As I parked the car, I was approached by somebody driving golf cart. I later learned that he was one of the organizers and the judge. He told me that he nominated my GT for the Top Dawg (Best of Show) award. That cought me fully surprised as I knew that my GT had no chance against those modern tuner cars. There was a drag strip within complex, many of them have tested their car. The fastest street car was one of VW Golfs achieving 124 mph. There was also dyno testing and one of BMWs turned 515 HP. Top Dawg award went to some of those fine cars but I got first place in the Miscellaneous European class.

I am back home sunburned, happy about award but thinking how new generation of young people cherish cars in a different way. Times are changing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary, kwilford, kevinfier and 8 others like this.
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Now that is pretty cool P.J. Even if it wasn't a "Major" Award, you were still there "representing" All I saw were flashy cars that people don't drive a lot, simply because they are so expensive. You did all Opelers proud. Jarrell
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your Opel GT looked awesome among all those other cars. Congratulations, you certainly did all Opelers justice by representing.
    I went to a local car show yesterday where a few hundred old classic cars were showing and not one Opel. I told the wife, we
    should have put our Opel in. Maybe next year.
    Dan
    soybean, tealcarver and GTeglman like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lotsa whack-a-doodle going on there; the front, grill mounted oil cooler is a classic touch, LOL!

Not that I'm biased or anything, but your GT should have been Best In Show in that bunch of over-the-top ridiculousness. Classic, understated but no-nonsense old school; your GT has to be a bright highlight in any car show!
    soybean and tealcarver like this.

Thread Information