Seats for a GT
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By
  • 1 Post By jayhawkjesse33
  • 1 Post By The Scifi Guy
  • 1 Post By tealcarver

Thread: Seats for a GT

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads

Seats for a GT

I am wondering if anyone has used these seats in their GT. Right now my head hits the headliner. I am 6' tall. I looked at the specs for these seats and they look like they might work. Your comments are welcome, so take a look and let me know what you think;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RETRO-CLASS...8AAOSwmfhcLWYz

Bob
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Can't adjust the seat angle and I don't like the things on the sides. The square tops of the seat backs will make your car feel cramped.

Just get some Miata/MX5 seats and be a happy camper.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice period looking seats. I bought a pair of Corbeau Alpine fixed back bucket seats for our Chevette when they were on sale a while a go for 200€/ piece. I haven't mounted them yet so I can't say anything about how comfortable they are. I also bought a pair of seat frames for Kadett C/Chevette so I don't have to fabricate ones.
    https://www.corbeau-seats.com/produc...c-bucket-seat/
    Last edited by Commodåren; 08-12-2019 at 01:13 PM.
    soybean likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Eric
    Downloads
    Uploads

Stock seats

I'm 6'7" and my head has never hit the headliner with my stock (recovered) seats. Do you not have stock seats or do you not like the look?
    soybean likes this.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhawkjesse33 View Post
    I'm 6'7" and my head has never hit the headliner with my stock (recovered) seats. Do you not have stock seats or do you not like the look?
    If I could find a decent pair of original seats, I would rather go with that. Finding them might be the trick. After you find them, you have to have them shipped, and that's pretty costly. The ex wife got rid of my originals along with the sliders. Couldn't wait to get rid of everything in the garage.

Bob
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Commodåren View Post
    Nice period looking seats. I bought a pair of Corbeau Alpine fixed back bucket seats for our Chevette when they were on sale a while a go for 200€/ piece. I haven't mounted them yet so I can't say anything about how comfortable they are. I also bought a pair of seat frames for Kadett C/Chevette so I don't have to fabricate ones.
    https://www.corbeau-seats.com/produc...c-bucket-seat/
    I have a set of Corbeau racing seats in there now, but my head hits the headliner, have to sit way back in order to drive the GT. It looked like they would fit, but the seat is a little higher than I expected.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    Can't adjust the seat angle and I don't like the things on the sides. The square tops of the seat backs will make your car feel cramped.

Just get some Miata/MX5 seats and be a happy camper.
    Gordon, I have been looking for the Miata seats, but without any luck. Maybe I should try Craigs List in my area, if nothing, the expand the search to a wider area.

Bob
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tealcarver View Post
    Gordon, I have been looking for the Miata seats, but without any luck. Maybe I should try Craigs List in my area, if nothing, the expand the search to a wider area.

Bob
    I have a set of the rare beige leather anniversary edition Miata/MX5 seats in my basement. They were in my Red Baron car. They may even still have the Opel rails still on them. PM me with a phone number and we can talk about them.
    soybean likes this.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a set of the rare beige leather anniversary edition Miata/MX5 seats in my basement. They were in my Red Baron car. They may even still have the Opel rails still on them. PM me with a phone number and we can talk about them.
    Gordon, my interior is black. Looked online and the only place that has them is located in Sacramento. I go to the SF Bay area to see my daughters and carve with the boys pretty regular at once a month. There is a set for $250 of course they are not leather. I am thinking that the shipping would be $150+ from New Jersey to Nevada. Maybe they can be dyed to black, but the shipping is a killer.

Bob
    soybean likes this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a set of Miata seats in my Red Gt and I think they would do well for what you want to do. If Gordon has the ones with the Gt rails, you might be better off with them. The Miata seats, to add the Gt rails, I had to fabricate some Aluminium blocks to get everything to work correctly. It was a 2 day P.I.B. job, but they do sit well. Jarrell
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have black/charcoal/grey cloth ones in the GTX. I didn't think you would want the beige because I knew that you had a black interior. It would be silly to paint them. I just thought I'd offer them up, sort of like an advertisement, for someone who has a beige/white interior. I like them a lot more, it's easier to slide around on the seat on them to get at stuff behind the seat and getting in and out. I'm sure it would be $250 to ship them out to you.

I would tell you to pounce on the ones in Sacramento. You might be able to get them for as low as $150 if you pick them up.

Miata seats in a GT.jpgArmrest console.JPGBlack Miata seats.jpgIMG_4789.jpgSolstice seats in a GT (7).jpgMiata seat height measurements (1).JPGMiata seat height measurements (2).JPGMiata seat height measurements (3).JPGBlack Miata seat with Opel rails.jpgBlack Miata seats with oem rails on and off.jpg
    Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 08-12-2019 at 05:35 PM.
    soybean likes this.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    These are pics of how I made my adapters. The rails are farther apart by 1"-2" and you need to boost the height of the seat by 3/4" because the belly of the seats actually protrudes below the seat rail and the boost in height is necessary for the seats to slide back and forth all the way and not hit a rail on the GT floor. No springs, it's all dense foam encased in sheet metal.

Mazda seat GT adapters (1).JPGMazda seat GT adapters (2).JPGMazda seat GT adapters (3).JPGMazda seat GT adapters (4).JPGMazda seat GT adapters (5).JPGMazda seat GT adapters (6).JPG
    Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 08-13-2019 at 01:04 PM.
    soybean likes this.

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    These are pics of how I made my adapters. The rails are farther apart by 1"-2" and you need to boost the height of the seat by 3/4" because the belly of the seats actually protrudes below the seat rail. The boost in height is also necessary for the seats to slide back and forth all the way and not hit a rail on the GT floor. No springs, it's all dense foam encased in sheet metal.

Mazda seat GT adapters (1).JPGMazda seat GT adapters (2).JPGMazda seat GT adapters (3).JPGMazda seat GT adapters (4).JPGMazda seat GT adapters (5).JPGMazda seat GT adapters (6).JPG
    Far better than what I did. Bob, why can't you just get black seat covers. I got a set at AutoZone many years ago and they work well, but they are on the original Gt seats. Jarrell

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    These are pics of how I made my adapters. The rails are farther apart by 1"-2" and you need to boost the height of the seat by 3/4" because the belly of the seats actually protrudes below the seat rail. The boost in height is also necessary for the seats to slide back and forth all the way and not hit a rail on the GT floor. No springs, it's all dense foam encased in sheet metal.

Very nice setup Gordo. Jarrell

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As a matter of fact, I am thinking about recovering the seats, they are not to bad, but with an all brand new interior, they wont fit in. I think I am going to get the Miata seats and call it a day. The original seats are hard to find, and they all need to be recovered. This way is a little less expensive, but not cheap by an means.

Bob
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a few sets of the original seats but they are all in NY. Like you said the shipping is a killer.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Wilwood Brks,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35i BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335ix '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tealcarver View Post
    As a matter of fact, I am thinking about recovering the seats, they are not to bad, but with an all brand new interior, they wont fit in. I think I am going to get the Miata seats and call it a day. The original seats are hard to find, and they all need to be recovered. This way is a little less expensive, but not cheap by an means.

Bob
    Bob, Bonneville Speed Week ended Friday AM and my seats should be in Stagecoach by now (it takes me 2 days to drive home alone but most people have help). Do you still want them? If you do, send me a PM or reply here and I will send you the contact info. Your total cost is a round trip to pick them up (and a couple of bolts as mine have disappeared into the depths of my shop!).

Doug