Help No Power... Now she's alive again !
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Help No Power... Now she's alive again !

Downloads
    Uploads

Help No Power... Now she's alive again !

Well I went out and ran the GT today.
    After I started it and it ran for a minute I noticed an arc flash under the dash at the fuse box. Then it died. Now when I turn on the key there is no power to the dash or anything else. The battery is fully charged and looking at the fuse block there are no fuses blown. Where do I start to figure out what the problem is?
    Last edited by Colorado Kidd; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

Burn Marks

Burn Marks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you ever replaced the headlight wiring?
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwschumm View Post
    Have you ever replaced the headlight wiring?
    All that was replaced when Keith at New Vintage restored it about 4 years ago.

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hard to tell on my phone, but looks like the jumper wire to the headlight relay, if it’s large white wire. Think I was using white for the yellow and white wire back then. Unhook battery and check wires, insulate them if for some reason they are bare. Possible a voltage regulator is bad and running too much voltage out. I would check with a test light that you have power at all 4 studs in the center of the fuse box, if not, that’s where to start. A lot of times when the fuse box shorts, these get hot and lose connection. Also could be an ammeter
    Colorado Kidd likes this.
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You need a volt meter. Test various fuse points on the fuse box looking for 12 volt power with the key off. Note where you find power. Turn the key to the Run position and look for power again. All or almost all the power in the car runs through the Ampmeter check the wires leading to that. Here's the wiring schematic for the whole car. Especially check for power at the RED wires to begin the process.

GT wiring schematic.jpg

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have 12 volts to the starter. I'll start checking the fuse block next. Does someone have a good picture of the fuse block that they could post and I'll check each of the terminals and get back to everyone. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    One other thing I did notice when I was running it. The AMP meter was swinging pretty wildly before it arced at the fuse box. Do you think it might be the voltage regulator doing that.

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Could be, I can’t remember what alternator we used on that. A test light will be a quick way to see where you have power and where you don’t. Check the 4 posts first. They are the threaded studs on your fuse box picture. The starter will have power because it is directly hooked up to the battery.
    www.newvintageauto.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have 12 volts at terminal 1 only. 2,3 and 4 have no power.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You should have power at the stud next to it too, that wire goes to the ammeter. A quick fix would be to jump these two studs together. It looks a little melted between the studs there, what happens is it gets hot and melts the plastic, then looses connection to the other stud. I am a little surprised that maybe the fusible link didn’t blow, but I had a voltage regulator put out 17volts on a GT once and would spark at the fuse box and blow any light that was on
    www.newvintageauto.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    You should have power at the stud next to it too, that wire goes to the ammeter. A quick fix would be to jump these two studs together. It looks a little melted between the studs there, what happens is it gets hot and melts the plastic, then looses connection to the other stud. I am a little surprised that maybe the fusible link didn’t blow, but I had a voltage regulator put out 17volts on a GT once and would spark at the fuse box and blow any light that was on
    Where is the fusible link? I'll try jumping across them tomorrow. Do you know where I can get a new fuse box?

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just get ready to act quickly if running it again by jumping the studs side by side. What I mean is the stud that has the red/white wire that has power, Jump it to the other red/white stud. Then you should get power on the other two studs with the key off. If that is the case, you should be able to start it now, but if the problem is still there, it might arc again. We’re you running the lights when this happened? If not, then I would look at what alternator is on it. If it is a stock one, then the voltage regulator is separate. If I put a GM unit on it, might disconnect the power wire and insulate it before starting. It’s trial and error now
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Fusible links are a 6 inch wire connected to the starter, alternator, and the voltage regulator. But you have power on the starter side I believe, so it shouldn’t be a fusible link.
    www.newvintageauto.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was not running the lights when it happened. It has a separate voltage regulator. I believe the alternator came from OGTS but not sure which one.

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking at the second fuse box picture on an iPad, I can see where the red/white studs are burnt up, or that is where it arced. See if on the white wire the black marks simply wipe off. You have lost connection at those two studs, they have a buss bar that links them together. So if you reconnect those, the car will have life again, but now you still have to figure out what caused the short or the studs to get hot. I had a customer hook up a battery backwards one time and did this almost to the tee. Was the battery low on power and working the alternator hard? Voltage regulator? That’s where I would be looking
    www.newvintageauto.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    The black wiped off the white wire. Soot. The battery was fully charged over night on a trickle charger. When it arced I notice just prior the alternator gauge was spastically pinging back and forth.

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I would jump the studs and probably unhook the regulator plug. It will still start, but will not charge. Then I would get a new regulator just to do it.
    www.newvintageauto.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll give it a try in the morning. Thanks I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a few of the system specific wiring diagrams from the FSM. Rather than getting overwhelmed by the enormity and interconnectedness of the whole car's wiring system, you can use these diagrams to just trace power in a specific subsystem. Often, this will lead to finding the problem that is affecting all the other subsystems:

Alternator wiring 001.JPG Engine compartment wiring.JPG GT FSM starting-charging-ignition system.jpg headlight wiring 001.jpg Ignition switched circuit 001.JPG

When I had a stock fuse box I would first start by making sure that all the colored connectors on the fuse box are plugged in all the way. You also have two halves to the system: Unswitched power and switched power(ignition switch). If none of the stuff that only comes on when the key is in the Run position work, then you know that you probably have lost power to the ignition switch. That rules out a whole bunch of stuff and narrows your search.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information