Dodged a damn bullet
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Dodged a damn bullet

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dodged a damn bullet

Folks we just Dodged a bullet, Tornado passed above us. Reidsville took a small hit, Greensboro had a bus take out a car on I 40. Yanceyville took a hit. We're safe, calling neighbors now. Jarrell
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    Folks we just Dodged a bullet, Tornado passed above us. Reidsville took a small hit, Greensboro had a bus take out a car on I 40. Yanceyville took a hit. We're safe, calling neighbors now. Jarrell
    Wow, glad to hear you are safe.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Wilwood Brks,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35i BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335ix '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Had an old tree split near the base this afternoon in the high winds...leaning right at the house, only 30' away. My son and I got some ropes and chains on it to keep it up...will cut tomorrow. Dumping buckets of rain right now.... 7:30 PM. All of the leaves here are wet and heavy and are being ripped off the trees by the wind. Fall ending early here in the VA mtns..... but looks like a beautiful late fall week coming up.

Bet you are glad you got your crop in!
    soybean and dpre like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Manta Rallier View Post
    Had an old tree split near the base this afternoon in the high winds...leaning right at the house, only 30' away. My son and I got some ropes and chains on it to keep it up...will cut tomorrow. Dumping buckets of rain right now.... 7:30 PM. All of the leaves here are wet and heavy and are being ripped off the trees by the wind. Fall ending early here in the VA mtns..... but looks like a beautiful late fall week coming up.

You're darn right. Finished up Tues around 6, had Les come over and sit in my Gt, took him around and showed him my Tractors and the difference between Case and John Deere, but what he wanted to see, my Dads 78 El Camino. It was wrapped up tight with a rope on the cover, So he didn't see it. Weds they Jetted out to where ever they came from. Said he would be back in 6 months. So I went outside at 8 and waved good bye. I have to get parts in Town in the Am, I think the last ice storm,took most dead limbs out and if I see any damage. I will post pictures in the Am. Take care, it was a long, Hot Season with no water for 57 days, 29 barns dumped for an apx 2 years With pardon, you are one hot season. Ended
    tealcarver and dpre like this.

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did not realize that you had such a dry stretch. It was drier here this year..... to make up for last year's 50+% surplus of rain.
    soybean likes this.

Real Name
    Tom
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad you’re okay, Mother Nature has been throwing some pretty tough stuff at us lately.

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did not realize that you had such a dry stretch. It was drier here this year..... to make up for last year's 50+% surplus of rain.
    I didn't notice it on Friday last week as I drove through Afton! LOL We came up the Blue Ridge Parkway (from Steele's Tavern - great little B&B) having visited Lexington and my ancestors on Thursday. My wife has some ancestors (from the 1700's) that lived in the area (Crozet (Blair Park) and Ivy (cemetery)). Jarmans Gap used to be called Woods Gap and the Woods are her relatives. Their 4400 acre plantation is "gone" but with the GPS coordinates from a search at the Crozet Library we were able to drive within a couple hundred yards before the "Private Property" signs "got in our way"! Stayed off the interstate highways (except a few miles before Charlottesville on I-64) then through Ivy until Fredericksburg, then I-95 north. (That is when I was passing through Gordonsville - another thread). The early AM on Friday was spectacular with the colors in the trees and bright sun lighting the area under with gold and red. Better than a rainbow!

Wish I had put the names and places together better, I could have stopped. LOL

Doug
    soybean, The Scifi Guy and dpre like this.

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cub View Post
    Glad you’re okay, Mother Nature has been throwing some pretty tough stuff at us lately.
    It has been a bad, weird year. I've been watching this for the fires. https://www.latimes.com/wildfires-map/

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bet you are glad you got some ropes and chains on it to keep it up, like I said a weird year. Glad ya'll are safe. Take care, Jarrell

Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad you are OK, my friend.
    Sounds like the bullet dodged you instead of the other way around!

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Last year, we had too much water, this year, too much Sun. We had 57 consecutive days of 90 degree + heat starting right after planting. It was as bad a year as we could have had. I only remember 1 year after the Federal Government helped out, a year that they helped us by building ponds. All I have done here is expand what they started. I have only built 1 dam in my life and I messed it up. I have one pond that has never filled up. The reason, I covered up the spring head, which was a good thing in a way, because it never broke. I have seen Dams that were not built properly and there was nothing left but fish, flopping. I raised the damn behind the house, and still had to pump up water to it from the pond below it. I remembered many, many, years ago there was a rock at the very bottom, that was my height (I was still a child) and there was a picture taken of it with me, so I know where the bottom is. A lot of people have asked me why I never sold any land, and ali I can say is "History". That is a topic for another thread, one that was touched on here. Thank you,Jarrell
    Last edited by soybean; 11-01-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rrossjr View Post
    Glad you are OK, my friend.
    Sounds like the bullet dodged you instead of the other way around!
    They don't miss from my end. I can reach out and "Touch" someone. That's another story.

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    I didn't notice it on Friday last week as I drove through Afton! LOL We came up the Blue Ridge Parkway (from Steele's Tavern - great little B&B) having visited Lexington and my ancestors on Thursday. My wife has some ancestors (from the 1700's) that lived in the area (Crozet (Blair Park) and Ivy (cemetery)). Jarmans Gap used to be called Woods Gap and the Woods are her relatives. Their 4400 acre plantation is "gone" but with the GPS coordinates from a search at the Crozet Library we were able to drive within a couple hundred yards before the "Private Property" signs "got in our way"! Stayed off the interstate highways (except a few miles before Charlottesville on I-64) then through Ivy until Fredericksburg, then I-95 north. (That is when I was passing through Gordonsville - another thread). The early AM on Friday was spectacular with the colors in the trees and bright sun lighting the area under with gold and red. Better than a rainbow!

Doug
    Well dang, you coulda done so Doug. You went by 1/4 mile from our place, which is just off the Blue Ridge Parkway at mile marker 2. You caught the leaves at their best..they are pretty much gone now with the storm.

I did not know that Jarman's and Woods Gap were the same.....IIRC it was Jarman's as far back as the Civil War.

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Doug
    There it comes "History" More on that later, I have to make a parts run this Am. Have a good day, Jarrell

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Doug
    You see you were after your "Roots" I understand that completely. I have land that has been in my family since the late 1700-early 1800s. I have a deed, ("Stupid me, cut trees around it), of the first Free public school, built in 1840, by my cousin Annie Isabel Slade. She taught there for a while, then school was moved up the road (now in the middle of a field) I have picture of it. My entire living room is full of "History", I have a weight driven clock from Bridge, Case, and Clock Co. which the case was made by debtors in debtors Prison. This is the knowledge that is being lost to the ravages of time. Jarrell headed out to do a parts run. Thank you, Good bye.
    MikeNotigan and dpre like this.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad to hear your okay Jarrell and anyone else in that area. Some crazy stuff going on around our world

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yesterday, we had heavy rain with high winds. A limb came down and hit my Toyota Highlander. I went to the junk yard and bought a nice used drivers side rear door as the limb put a nice dent in it! When I get time, I'll swap out the doors. No big deal except for the color. It's a "beater" car anyway....

Glad you are ok...
    soybean likes this.
    Roy Bell
    1973 Opel GT
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ooooner View Post
    Yesterday, we had heavy rain with high winds. A limb came down and hit my Toyota Highlander. I went to the junk yard and bought a nice used drivers side rear door as the limb put a nice dent in it! When I get time, I'll swap out the doors. No big deal except for the color. It's a "beater" car anyway....

Glad you are ok...
    Good thing it did not hit the Yvonne-mobile!!!

3000 Post Club Site Supporter P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Huge wind and torrential rain off lake Huron the whole night. Family cars stayed on a driveway, exposed to possible damage but the GT was tucked under car cover in the garage. I know, I am crazy Opeler and damn proud of it.
    Manta Rallier likes this.
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ooooner View Post

Glad you are ok...
    That is the great part about beater cars LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information