Scottsdale scuderia southwest
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By GTRoy
  • 3 Post By GTRoy
  • 2 Post By Timbo
  • 1 Post By GTRoy

Thread: Scottsdale scuderia southwest

Downloads
    Uploads

Scottsdale scuderia southwest

It has cooled to comfortable here, Time to get the Opels out.
    Craig, Doug, SLRacer Doug, and I planned to meet at a show that had been cancelled this summer
    but is on again with some new rules, and better crowd control.
    Doug arrived at about 7:30 a.m. with his Manta, My GT stayed home because I couldn't find the KEYS !

Attached are pics of a few stars of the show.
    The '57 Corvette brought back memories of a 1960 ride from New Britain to Lime Rock in a Red & White FI '57 Corvette.
    I still remember the Birdcage Maserati racing there. But I can't remember where I put the Opel keys 3 weeks ago.

There are more pics but I can't load them, will try later
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    More pics

Doug has a way to find his Manta in a parking lot full of Mantas.
    Look for Jack's Yellow Hat.

Real Name
    Craig Roberts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to see you and Doug Robinson...Next time You and I need to take our GT's. Let's see some more pics.
    Craig Roberts

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Tim
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Roy,

You are supposed to leave the key in the ignition so you can always find it. It doesn't do much good any place else.

Tim
    GTRoy and dpre like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As requested, here are some more pics.......

Tim, you are correct about car keys, but I put mine 'somewhere' for imagined safekeeping.

The GT40 could interest you all in a movie showing next week. A fictionalized account of a real Ford / Ferrari contest.

The 1913 Bugatti is the oldest race car you are likely to see driving on the street.
    It is locally owned, near Cave Creek . You can check it out on Jay Leno's Garage.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some more pics from Scottsdale Scuderia S W ... Nov 2 2019.

The last 4 pics are from a Cave Creek event in the past.
    Trying to keep the dream alive while I search for my GT keys

Real Name
    Craig Roberts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I really like the pics from the Cave Creek show and of my GT Targa both in the line of Porsche's as well as in front of your house. What model Porsche is the red one parked next to me?
    That Special Yellow Fiat 500 Abarth is really something. I didn't talk to thr owner but it probably belongs to the guy I met once that has at least a dozen special Fiats.
    Craig Roberts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Craig, I think you refer to the Porsche 918.
    Here is another Red 918 at Penske's Cars & Coffee. Different license #.
    The Silver one was at Scuderia Southwest on Mayo.
    I parked beside each of them for a photo op with my GT.

I don't care a bit about hanging with celebrities, but my Gold GT wants to !

Only 918 of these were built for worldwide sales.
    I was told by a Porsche guy that about 20 were sold in Scottsdale. I have not tried to verify that.

Real Name
    Cam
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to see you guys are coming back to life now that the heat has abated.

Roy, I'm beginning to think you're not meant to drive your GT! Maybe you should just plant flowers in it, lol.

Seriously, I hope your key turns up. Seems like Opel didn't have many key codes as I know of two GTs that my key fit in the past. Next time I'm down we can try mine and see if it fits. In the meantime you might try Craig's. Whatever happened to the bucket of keys that got passed around here?
    Sunburst yellow 1970 GT, 2.0L w/ header, Tremec T5, Weber 32/36, Pertronix, Sway Bars, BWA Sportstar wheels. Owned since 1973.

Real Name
    Craig Roberts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll be heading back to NY next Saturday nite but before I go I'm planning on attending the show at the Penske Museum/autoplex on Scottsdale rd. Saturday morning. So Cam, if you are up for it come on down.. If you'd like to come down Friday nite we have an extra bed for you. I'm going to see Roy at another show later today...I'll bring some extra keys. I'm still looking for the key for the Car & Driver Opel 1900 Roy and I think there is a key thief working in and around Phoenix so if you come down hold on to your keys.
    Craig Roberts

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy7575 View Post
    ...Whatever happened to the bucket of keys that got passed around here?
    Umm, the Can of Keys came to Calgary with Matt when he brought his Opel GT here from AZ. I am about to send them off to Stephen ("oldopelguy") as chronicled in the Can of Keys thread
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilford View Post
    Umm, the Can of Keys came to Calgary with Matt when he brought his Opel GT here from AZ.
    As coincidence would have it, I spent the night at Roy's house with the can, who suggested I take it back to Canada with me until the next person on the list could have their address verified (never happened, no response). However, at the time Roy didn't need the can as he had his keys, I'm certain, because he gave me a ride in his Opel. (And no, I don't remember where he put them afterwards).

Downloads
    Uploads
    First a little good news, I found my ORIGINAL Opel door/ignition key with the BB*** stamped on it.
    I WILL find my duplicate 3 key sets, ( ignition, fuel , antenna ) any day now...
    My gas cap isn't locked, so I can add fresh fuel and go to Cars & Coffee at Penske's this Saturday !

Cameron and Matthew, I think Space Aliens may be breaking in, rummaging and moving things around.
    Not taking anything, I don't have what they want, only rearranging stuff to confuse me .

Now a few more pics from recent past.
    Fiat 695 info, Hot Rodding a 500 cc sub-compact car !
    Honda 50, as a teenager I rode a motorcycle with over 3 times that displacement (165 cc ) from Vermont to Orlando.
    Craig with his trusty Isuzu Trooper. Wasn't Isuzu a kissin' cousin of Opel back in the day ?
    Sunset over McDonald's Rock and Roll Car Show, Pavilions Scottsdale. See all you want on You tube.

.......Pics have been re-aranged ??? from order I loaded and described them...Does anyone know why ?

Real Name
    Craig Roberts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Keep the pics coming Roy... I really like my Isuzu Trooper even if it's not an Opel. I have to find a new front bumper for it... It came with Chrome bumpers which are harder to find than the rubber I also need to improve the trailer hitch as the original is ok when flat towing or towing the Opel on the tow dolly. It is not up to towing my full sized trailer.
    Craig Roberts

Real Name
    Craig Roberts
    Downloads
    Uploads

Manta @ Penske Museum

Doug and I took the Manta to Scottsdale at 7am to show along with a bunch of very high end cars including a Bugatti that parked next to us.
    I'm headed home to NY tonite then to Florida where Jeff is going to help me get the cars running that my brother Jordan left behind when he passed away in August They are a Jaguar E type as well as the Bugeye and the MG's and 2 Vettes.
    I'll be back in AZ in January to attend more shows with my Targa and the Manta...Roy promises to have the 1.1 GT ready to go by then.
    Craig Roberts

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by crliwa View Post
    Doug and I took the Manta to Scottsdale at 7am to show along with a bunch of very high end cars including a Bugatti that parked next to us.
    I'm headed home to NY tonite then to Florida where Jeff is going to help me get the cars running that my brother Jordan left behind when he passed away in August They are a Jaguar E type as well as the Bugeye and the MG's and 2 Vettes.
    I'll be back in AZ in January to attend more shows with my Targa and the Manta...Roy promises to have the 1.1 GT ready to go by then.
    My plan is to have my 1952 MGTD DHC (in the Tickford tradition) back on the road by then also! No promises however as getting the motorcycle to Pendine Sands in May is still my #1 priority!

Doug

Downloads
    Uploads
    A problem with a car that's not driven for several months, like here in the heat of summer, is that the driver,
    that's me, loses track of what needs fixing. In this case it was the battery, charging wouldn't bring it back to full life.
    I saw the warning signs last year but neglected to replace that old battery, but I got my moneys worth.

So no Opel GT at Penske's Cars & Coffee this morning. But I had a little fun, Here in a '1937 Jaguar SS' kit car.

Many cars I liked today, here are 2 or 3 in front of Penske Racing Museum.

Opel was well represented by Doug Robert's Manta. And he shared parking with a 1913 Bugatti race car.
    It is one of only a few survivors, the oldest one roadworthy in North America, and was invited to Pebble Beach this year.
    Not everyday can you go to a local car show and share space with a Pebble Beach exhibitor. Pretty Special !

Downloads
    Uploads
    Craig said "I really like my Isuzu Trooper even if it's not an Opel."

I Googled 'Isuzu Trooper' and found that Troopers were sold in many parts of the world
    from 1981 - 2002 ( info from Wikipedia ) under several different names.
    Here are some of them, but not a complete list.

Opel Monterey - Europe, Vauxhall Monterey - UK, Holden Monterey - AUS,
    Holden Jackaroo (!) NZ, Caribe 442 - Venezuela,... Also sold as Acura SLX and Chevrolet Trooper.

...Let me add another name, this might be the best ; Isuzu Rodeo Bighorn.
    ( Although in a Rodeo you might see a Longhorn, a Bighorn is usually in the Mountains. )

Years ago friends traveling in Germany brought me a stack of Dealer brochures of every Opel
    offered at that time. The one pictured here is dated 4 / 98.

Craig, It seems you have an Opel there after all. Or an Isuzu with lots of Opel relatives.
    Last edited by GTRoy; 3 Days Ago at 03:32 PM. Reason: add a name
    kwschumm likes this.

Thread Information