Laptop after update Windows 10 very slow
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By P.J. Romano
  • 2 Post By Gary
  • 2 Post By Timbo
  • 2 Post By First opel 1981
  • 1 Post By 2 Fast 4 U

Thread: Laptop after update Windows 10 very slow

Detroit,where my home was 2 Fast 4 U's Avatar
    Real Name
    Erick Janssen
    Downloads
    Uploads

Laptop after update Windows 10 very slow

Two to three weeks ago Windows 10 had a major update on my laptop and since then the laptop has become so slow that a snail is faster from Detroit to Grand Rapids than my laptop can open a site page.

I use Opera and Chrome as browsers and I have the same problem with both, I have cleared the browser history with both but the problem remains even when typing the laptop cannot keep up with me.

Does anyone have an idea what I can do to get the laptop "up to speed" again?
    Opel Ascona;
    Only built from 1970 - 1975

Understeer: The front of the car hits the wall,
    Oversteer: The rear of the car hits the wall,
    Horsepower: How fast the car hits the wall,
    Torque: How far the car pushes the wall.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

3000 Post Club Site Supporter P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    soybean likes this.
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Try the 3 finger salute (CTRL/ALT/DEL) and open Task Manager. Task Manager will show you what processes are using your CPU and memory.

I just noticed on mine that there are 10 or so instances of Google running on mine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Tim
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I came home today to find the computer so slow it was useless. After finally getting logged in, I ran Norton which found no threats, but the computer is back to normal now.
    soybean and dpre like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You guys are describing what happened to mine right before the big mess I've been dealing with.

If the computer is lagging, do NOT hit the power button.
    My cat stepped on the power button and that was that. My computer wouldn't come back on.

Use system restore if nothing else.

If you don't have a lagging problem now. make sure system restore is turned on. Set restore points.
    Also, buy a thumb drive and use it to regularly back up your data files. I just got a 256GB drive for less than a data recovery program costs. I suggest orthers do the same.

Windows 10 isn't like all the previous versions of Windows. They built in a lot of things that Microsoft controls and took them away from the users. This lagging malfunction is just one of them.
    soybean and dpre like this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    Erick Janssen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I opend Task Manager and my CPU is constant running at 100% and I see a background programm "service host DNS client" running some were from 30% to over 50%

I have 100 background processes and 92 windows processes running
    Opel Ascona;

Real Name
    Tim
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Fast 4 U View Post
    I opend Task Manager and my CPU is constant running at 100% and I see a background programm "service host DNS client" running some were from 30% to over 50%

I have 100 background processes and 92 windows processes running
    My friend here says that your computer is trying to link to a server and is failing so it keeps trying. My CPU doesn't stay on 100% of the time. Not even close. What kind of internet connection do you have?

Real Name
    Erick Janssen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry for reacting very late for me but I believe I have found it
    I read somewhere that SpyBot S&D could sometimes be the culprit and I removed the program from my laptop and yes my CPU usage could also work at less than 100% and my laptop is almost as fast as before.
    soybean likes this.
    Opel Ascona;

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Fast 4 U View Post
    Sorry for reacting very late for me but I believe I have found it
    I read somewhere that SpyBot S&D could sometimes be the culprit and I removed the program from my laptop and yes my CPU usage could also work at less than 100% and my laptop is almost as fast as before.
    I believe you got it. Spybot is a known windows hog. If your CPU usage is High, you run slow. Memory, and Display can eat up CPU usage as well. If you open task manager you can see what is running now. If you have McAfee Virus Scan running, it eats up a lot of memory as do most Virus Scanners. The only option left is Ctrl, Alt, Delete. Which opens up task manager, there you will see everything that is currently running. If you don't have a lot of memory, You can right click, and end task. That will quit the program that you highlighted.

I built this last computer, for me, by me, for my use. So I jacked up the Memory to 64 gigs.( 2 32 gig sticks),added a better Video Card. This took 3 out of 4 slots on the motherboard. However my video card covers up the last slot, so i quit. I have a program that puts it to the test, so I have both sides off and a fan blowing on the CPU to keep everything cool. But it still gets Hot. Hot enough that I prop my feet up and the Computer warms them up. Take care, Jarrell
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    You guys are describing what happened to mine right before the big mess I've been dealing with.

If the computer is lagging, do NOT hit the power button.
    My cat stepped on the power button and that was that. My computer wouldn't come back on.

Use system restore if nothing else.

If you don't have a lagging problem now. make sure system restore is turned on. Set restore points.
    Also, buy a thumb drive and use it to regularly back up your data files. I just got a 256GB drive for less than a data recovery program costs. I suggest orthers do the same.

Windows 10 isn't like all the previous versions of Windows. They built in a lot of things that Microsoft controls and took them away from the users. This lagging malfunction is just one of them.
    You need to do a complete reload of programs here. Your advice about the backup is great. You just need an external hard drive such as "My Book" back up everything on a certain Day of the week. Mine is set to run on Sunday at 10 AM. I back up everything to my External Hard Drive.
    I have reformatted my hard drive and loaded a clean install of windows at least 2 times now. Windows 10 sux. Period. Good luck with it, it can be very frustrating indeed. Jarrell
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)