Rear deck ideas
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Rear deck ideas

pfj
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rear deck ideas

Please share pictures of your rear deck.
    I am planing on redoing the rear deck along with replacing the fuel sending unit. I installed 2 Sony speakers but the rear deck has been modified too many times and the vinyl is in poor shape. I have 2 original speaker covers and plan to make it stock ish but with 2 speakers.

Thanks in advance.

Patrick
    Last edited by pfj; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:57 AM.
    soybean likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pfj View Post
    Please share pictures of your rear deck.
    I am planing on redoing the rear deck along with replacing the fuel sending unit. I installed 2 Sony speakers but the rear deck has been modified too many times and the vinyl is in poor shape. I have 1 original speaker covers and plan to make it stock ish but with 2 speakers.

Thanks in advance.

Patrick
    I think the rear deck only came with one speaker. Mine was cut out for 2 speakers. If it wasn't so darn cold, I'd pull the cover off and take a couple of pictures for you. I'm sitting at 29 degrees now, I will try later today to get pictures. Take care, Jarrell
    dpre likes this.
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

pfj
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hence the stock ish with 2 speakers. I will also be taking out the seats to do this and the fuel sending unit. I also need to install the seat belt that I have so far left out. Livin on the edge.
    soybean and dpre like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Wes Thomas
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's my rear deck. I created a sculpted foam deck contour, covered in auto carpet, which helped to slightly elevate the Corvette, roof top brake light. The Opel insignia was an embellishment. My speakers reside in the vertical divider panel, behind the cargo platform.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Eric
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are some interior shots of mine. I added 6x9's on risers I made out of plywood and bondo to the rear deck so the spare tire can fit in (two holes were already cut in the rear deck for the speakers) and 5.25" component mids to the bottom section. The tweeters are in the front on vinyl-wrapped aluminum holders I made. The rear deck is a lockable flipper made out of marine plywood an covered in a thin foam with vinyl wrapping and connected with a piano hinge. I added an extra Opel emblem on the flipper to line up with the front emblem when looking from the front through the interior of the car.
    Last edited by ejota; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:59 PM.
    soybean, tealcarver, ken2 and 2 others like this.

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I got rid of my rear deck entirely and have 6x9's pointed directly at my skull. I put everything on strip hinges and made storage compartments for stuff like beer. Last year I put a subwoofer back there.

rear compartment with speakers and access door 1.jpgrear compartment with speakers and access door 2.jpgrear compartment with speakers and access door 3.jpgIMG_1119.jpg
    soybean, tealcarver, Timbo and 2 others like this.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Several owners have commented that replacing rear vinyl cover using plywood with acoustic foam will quiet the GT noise level.

Insulation on wood spare tire structure shelve to reduce road noise:
    https://www.opelgt.com/forums/2b-sea...ml#post1396127

Quote Originally Posted by opellane View Post
    Some more Info on Rear Tire Shelve, I made mine using 5/8 Marine Plywood that has no voids, solid plywood,
    Using 3/4 wood then needed longer new 10mm bolts to attach to rails, and latches,etc.

I found that Dynamat Insulation the bottom of Tire Shelve has reduced all the road noise, and made the stereo sound better
    Last edited by Lindsay; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:26 PM. Reason: Added Link

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good information Lindsay and Gordo nice looking rear deck. Love the special storage compartments
    What happens if you need to change the tire or do you call a tow, roadside assistance or roll the dice
    soybean likes this.

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

Real Name
    Cody
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    I got rid of my rear deck entirely and have 6x9's pointed directly at my skull. I put everything on strip hinges and made storage compartments for stuff like beer. Last year I put a subwoofer back there.

rear compartment with speakers and access door 1.jpgrear compartment with speakers and access door 2.jpgrear compartment with speakers and access door 3.jpgIMG_1119.jpg

I'm looking at doing something kind of similar, but was planning on removing the support brace between the wheel wells with tube steel and tying in into my cage. did you add any support back when you cut that horizontal base? My plan was to go essentially from that seam under the rear window and go straight down to just behind the rear shock mounts with aluminum plate, which would keep me clear for adding support to the shock mount area for my cage bars to mount to... I have 6x9's and sound mat. I guess the question I don't have an answer to is... How necessary is that rear support brace that lies between the rear wheel wells...? My GT is not going to be a daily, but rather a Sunday driver and autocross runner every now and then.

Real Name
    Cody
    Downloads
    Uploads

Edited for fat finger typos

Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post

I'm looking at doing something kind of similar, but was planning on removing the support brace between the wheel wells with tube steel and tying in into my cage. did you add any support back when you cut that horizontal brace? My plan was to go essentially from that seam under the rear window and go straight down to just behind the rear shock mounts with aluminum plate, which would keep me clear for adding support to the shock mount area for my cage bars to mount to... I have 6x9's and sound mat. I guess the question I don't have an answer to is... How necessary is that rear support brace that lies between the rear wheel wells...? My GT is not going to be a daily, but rather a Sunday driver and autocross runner every now and then.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a wood construction back there. Can't weld and I'm trained in wood working, so it was the logical choice. I'll have to wait until I'm home from work to access my pics and post some.

No spare tire, just a can of fix-a-flat. I buy premium all season high traction tires and avoid roads/places that can cause flats, so my chances of getting flats is very low.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Holliday53 View Post
    My plan was to go essentially from that seam under the rear window and go straight down to just behind the rear shock mounts with aluminum plate,
    That's an excellent idea and I'm sure that would be more than enough strengthening to resist torsional stresses and would probably be even stronger and more effective than that flimsy crossbar.

Real Name
    Cody
    Downloads
    Uploads
    soybean, The Scifi Guy and dpre like this.

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Holliday53 View Post
    Eye see!
    I dig it Gordo!
    Excellent. Question, what do you do if you should want to change/upgrade shocks? Jarrell
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    Cody
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    Excellent. Question, what do you do if you should want to change/upgrade shocks? Jarrell
    The plan is to stay behind the shock mounts (to the rear) with the fixed metal panel. The support running from side to side in the unibody where the shocks actually mount will be reinforced with plating and tied into the cage. shock mounts will still be accessible. Probably going to carpet over or create a false panel kind of how Gordo has. Something removable, just a cover to hide all of that stuff.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    Except for the reshaped luggage shelf piece, the entire assembly rests on the spare tire shelf ledges and doesn't touch the body anywhere, except slightly, on purpose, at the arc-shaped piece below the window. Sitting on those spare tire shelf ledges and my custom tank being a bit less-tall than an oem one, there's a 1/2"-3/4" gap between the wood and the tank. No felt pads needed to dampen vibration. The curving sort of frame rail thing that the shocks bolt into is below the top of the tank by several inches, so there's plenty of room to access the shock bolt/nuts, as seen here:

Tank swap 005.JPG

I can remove the piece that covers the filler neck and I've got a piece of sheet metal over a hole above the fuel sender unit, so that I can access those items as needed:

Filler neck redo (1).jpg

And, worse case scenario, I CAN remove the whole thing in about an hour, like I did when I swapped the aluminum tank from my Red Baron car into the GTX, but it's messy:

Tank swap 003.JPG

Cheap JCWhitney "carpet"(It's more like bonded together fuzz) is stapled to the wood.
    soybean, tealcarver and dpre like this.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow Gordo that is an awesome custom rear deck. That is super nice work. Certainly something I haven't thought about, but worthy of entertaining in the future. I like the idea of having more room in the rear area. And really how often do we have a flat tire
    I have always wanted to keep my Opel as close to original, but who knows
    soybean and The Scifi Guy like this.

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Two words Gordo, Dam Sweet. Well I see now, that I'm going to clean out my shop. Then put my Gt in and work on it on these nasty days. I have 2 items from Charlotte that need addressing.

Long story, but we made it home. Again, (Thank you, John), for the caps.

So once we get done, I can head to New Jersey (for real this time), swap cars and let you loose on my car. I don't have the New engine and 5 speed in yet, but I can drive the slow lane. Better yet, put it all on my trailer and caravan up there, drop it off, and let you play with some Dual Side Draft Webers, and finish off my Getrag (Gil knows what parts I need.) Hows that?
    Oh forgot to add the Cam, Roller rockers, stud girdle and poly locks. Parts acquired and stashed long ago, and Powdered Valve cover. (Roller rockers, stud girdle and poly locks), were purchased when Samdog made it, Gtjim (rip), reworked them, and sent them back. This was long before you got on the board. Anyway Greeat Craftsmanship. Yeah, I got and kept "Stuff". I knew someday I was going to retire and some "Young Wippersnapper", would show up and put them all together, (I could watch).

Jarrell
    tealcarver, The Scifi Guy and dpre like this.

pfj
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Attached is what I am starting with. It came out very easy so I will replace the wood on top and recover with new vinyl. I will post my progress. Thanks for the shared posts.

The pictures don’t show it well but the cutouts are not symmetrical and a white silicone adhesive was used to cover them with flashing before I got the car. All this was covered with a rear deck cover.
    Last edited by pfj; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:26 AM.
    soybean, tealcarver and dpre like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information