Omg! Omg! Omg! Omg! Omg! - Page 5
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree264Likes

Thread: Omg! Omg! Omg! Omg! Omg!

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringGT View Post
    Isn't that vehicle what the army used to call a "mule"?
    You can tell by looking that the steering wheel and shaft came straight out of a Willys jeep.
    Looks like a fun ride!
    Yep it is a "mule", Mine didn't look like that in it's original form. It was just a flat bed. The Military had problems with rollovers in 4 wheel steering, hence the roll cage. Now it will just go over on it's side. Jump off, and flip it back over. The bed and drop gear houseing are made of magnesium. Exhaust is made out of Titanium. I had a problem with trees hitting the occupants while in the woods, so I had the roll cage made. Then we wanted to go at night, so 2 32'' Led Light Bars were added.Then we wanted to pull out of the creeks, so I added the winch, upgraded this year, to a 3500 lb winch. I also added the pulley from an A-5 to keep the alternator out of the water while in the creeks. The engine gets air from a rubber intake hose coming off the left frame, coming up and out by the battery. Electric start was added. Push a button to crank. All powered by a 2 cylinder, horizontally opposed, air cooled, magneto fired engine, putting out 18 hp. Mine a little more, the bottom end being from the A042 Gen set engine. 300 miles on an 8 gal tank of fuel. Top speed, was listed between 27 to 32 mph. Mine will do 35 in 2 wheel steering. I had gotten tired of walking a long time ago, so this was/in the solution. I can out class almost all 4 wheel units in woods and water. So that's more of my "Stuff" The other 2 aren't as radical, as mine. Thanks for reading, I am just as passionate about my "mules" as I am with my Gt's. Both let me drive with a smile on my face, Jarrell
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by P.J. Romano View Post
    After seeing those pictures, I am trying to restore inner piece by taking some counter-measures.
    There is a stunning Dino for sale on BAT right now.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-ferrari-dino-6/

Downloads
    Uploads
    My eyes! My eyes! They burn!
    The Scifi Guy, GTeglman and dpre like this.
    1970 Rallye Orange GT, original condition, all documentation intact.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GTeglman View Post
    Guys, you are gonna stop this now (please), I can't take it any more ! The level of body-mods-insanity out there in the (dark) world is beyond belief, and I can now see clearly that even the most outrageous modification-wackadoodle-maniacs on this forum are quite sane, and should be appointed Doctors of design, and teach tech & design at MIT.

I still resent most of it, but I give up now, and take any remotely negative things I said back...- Gordo you win this round

Cheers from a broken spirit
    Anders, I agree with you on this! ... ...

Doug
    soybean, GTeglman and dpre like this.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rrossjr View Post
    There is a stunning Dino for sale on BAT right now.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-ferrari-dino-6/
    I think that the Dino's are one of the most beautiful cars ever built! Nice find.

Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringGT View Post
    I think that the Dino's are one of the most beautiful cars ever built! Nice find.
    SOLD FOR $380,000 ON 11/27/19
    soybean, The Scifi Guy and dpre like this.

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, just one more and then I'll let this thread die the gruesome death it deserves......

one more.jpg
    soybean and dpre like this.

Real Name
    Anders Teglman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    Okay, just one more and then I'll let this thread die the gruesome death it deserves......

one more.jpg
    Gördö, you should know that I hold you responsible to the fact that I have just poked out my eyes...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry....Some things you can't un-see.
    I have tried not to look, but have even considered forwarding those first GT / '69 Cad pics to a friend in Roanoke VA.

Have now decided to add to the Automotive Atrocitys. Only quick peek advised.
    This was driven to a show in Scottsdale in March 2019.......NO OPELS were harmed in this production !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    soybean and The Scifi Guy like this.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRoy View Post
    Sorry....Some things you can't un-see.
    I have tried not to look, but have even considered forwarding those first GT / '69 Cad pics to a friend in Roanoke VA.

Have now decided to add to the Automotive Atrocitys. Only quick peek advised.
    This was driven to a show in Scottsdale in March 2019.......NO OPELS were harmed in this production !

Well, at least the paint matches!
    soybean and terrylewisac like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This showed up at Paul Tipton's "Opel's in my yard" a few times. In the U.S. almost all Opel's went thru the usual stages of ownership. New and cared for, then sold and possibly cared for before being handed down to the kids, and then on to the beater stage. In the 80's they could be had for very little. Eric Schmidt here locally has about 14 GTs and the bones of a few more, most of which he picked up in that time frame. I think he once told me he did not give more than $1500 for any of them. When they are that cheap people will play with them.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    GREAT pics!

I can't say that I've seen a GT taken that far towards the hot rod look.

It's exactly like you said: When they're cheap(and not respected) people will do crazy fun stuff to them. I'm partially a product of that mind set because that's when I got into GT's: The early 80's when they weren't antiques or all that rare and were just another quirky, dirt cheap, euro-weenie-wagon. That has been the vibe about them, where I live, for almost the entire 40 years I've been driving them. Only in the past few years and only with my over the top car have my GT's ever gotten any respect where I live.

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opeljohn View Post
    This showed up at Paul Tipton's "Opel's in my yard" a few times. In the U.S. almost all Opel's went thru the usual stages of ownership. New and cared for, then sold and possibly cared for before being handed down to the kids, and then on to the beater stage. In the 80's they could be had for very little. Eric Schmidt here locally has about 14 GTs and the bones of a few more, most of which he picked up in that time frame. I think he once told me he did not give more than $1500 for any of them. When they are that cheap people will play with them.
    Hmm! First, Anders, I am NOT going to do it! ... ... Now, that first pic is interesting ... the "cover" over the rear body is the roof rotated back to front! Opeljohn, I hope that you have a shot from the rear as I cannot see (or imagine) what he was trying to do? At first I thought he was maybe carrying it along as a "removeable" hard top (targa style) but it appears that a lot of hold downs are used (but maybe those are just "decorative"?). Anybody else see something?

Doug

PS - Do you think the louvers on the rear body came from the hood? They curve a bit (right to left) but that may be the camera angle!
    Last edited by slracer; 1 Week Ago at 02:35 PM.

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    soybean likes this.
    If you make it through an entire day and learned nothing you weren't paying attention

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rrossjr View Post
    SOLD FOR $380,000 ON 11/27/19
    Jay Leno had to have it as if he doesn't have enough
    If you make it through an entire day and learned nothing you weren't paying attention

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The hood vents were used to cover the side rear lights. The thing behind the seats, appearing to cover a retracted convertible top, is the rear part of a GT roof flipped around the other way. There's doesn't appear to be much effort to do fine finishing, upholstery, etc., so I don't think it has a retracted full headroom top. At least not in the car. I think it's likely that he just has a tarp top that he can stretch out and snap to the rear and somewhere at the windshield, in case it gets caught out in the rain, like a boat tarp. It's kind of hard to make a convertible top for a GT, a lot of people give up trying. I've only seen a handful of American GT's with decent ones and maybe just a few more done in Europe. I do like the flipped around roof idea though. It looks like it would perform a flow through ventilation function if the car had a removable roof on it. As is, it provides a convenient way to hide where the former vertical sides of the rear window had been chopped off, thus saving on body putty.
    Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 1 Week Ago at 07:53 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

GT Rat Rod

Went back and found some photos from the rear. In talking to the owner, he for sure was having fun trying to find new ways to use what he had cut off the GT. He cut off the front end and added the necessary framing to handle the V8. Looking at it in person it was interesting to see how he had repurposed some of what he removed from the GT. At the time it was still a work in progress.

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opeljohn View Post
    Went back and found some photos from the rear. In talking to the owner, he for sure was having fun trying to find new ways to use what he had cut off the GT. He cut off the front end and added the necessary framing to handle the V8. Looking at it in person it was interesting to see how he had repurposed some of what he removed from the GT. At the time it was still a work in progress.
    Thanks for the added pics! -- Doug
    terrylewisac likes this.

Real Name
    Anders Teglman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    Hmm! First, Anders, I am NOT going to do it! ... ... Now, that first pic is interesting ... the "cover" over the rear body is the roof rotated back to front! Opeljohn, I hope that you have a shot from the rear as I cannot see (or imagine) what he was trying to do? At first I thought he was maybe carrying it along as a "removeable" hard top (targa style) but it appears that a lot of hold downs are used (but maybe those are just "decorative"?). Anybody else see something?

Doug

PS - Do you think the louvers on the rear body came from the hood? They curve a bit (right to left) but that may be the camera angle!
    Well good decision Doug, because it would have resulted in a some serious bxxxh-slapping for Susan (you can take it)
    slracer likes this.

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GTeglman View Post
    Well good decision Doug, because it would have resulted in a some serious bxxxh-slapping for Susan (you can take it)
    But Anders, surely you can "see" my interest! The factory made a Targa but no one ever made a "removable Targa"! It would be a one of a kind (and as you may have noticed, I like one of a kind)! ...

However, it is a one of a kind as is, just NOT my kind! ... ... But I do appreciate your "kind" warning!

Doug

PS - I would have thought BxxT-Kicking would have been more appropriate as it is the "rear" of the car! ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information