Great to be part of the Opel Family
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Great to be part of the Opel Family

Real Name
    Craig Roberts
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great to be part of the Opel Family

As some of you know when my oldest brother Jordan (former owner of a 1969 GT) passed away I was left with the responsibility for his cars and Motorcycles and house in Daytona Beach. The 6 cars include an 02 Vette, 04 Vette, 75 MGB, 61 Bugeye Sprite, MGTD, and 70 XKE.
    I was definitely in over my head and Jeff/Gold GT stepped up and offered to work with me to get them running. So, on Tuesday of last week I flew down to Orlando. I then took a shuttle bus to "The Villages" where Jeff picked me up in his Ford Lightning F150. Jeff had it loaded with all the tools, jacks, jack stands, and compressor that we would need.

As luck would have it, Jeff had to do an emergency brake job on the Lightning on Monday after finding that the rear brakes were smoking...we were very lucky that it happened before we took off for the trip to Daytona.

I would be doing the reverse trip back to NY on Friday so we had 2 full days and possibly a couple of hours on Friday morning.

On Wednesday morning the first stop was the storage yard where the 02 Vette and the MGTD (in an enclosed trailer) were. We were able to Jump start the filthy 02 Vette and pump up the tires and move the car back and forth. We opened the trailer to check out the MGTD (with a Volvo engine) and soon realized the TD was best left sleeping as we had to get to the other storage facility in New Smyrna Beach. There we found that the 04 Vette also only needed a jump and air in the tires. I took it out for a quick spin around the facility and then parked it.

The next 3 cars we knew would actually require work including new Batteries and fresh gas so we stopped at Walmart and picked up 2 batteries. The Bugeye was first and this is where Jeff really came through. We were getting spark and some fuel but it wouldn't run other than on starter fluid. The 948cc engine was replaced with a 1275 with an electric fuel pump. The aftermarket fuel pump ran but it wouldn't get enough gas to the carbs for it to start. Jeff found low voltage to the pump and after fixing that we still needed to replace it with a new fuel pump, lines and filter. A quick trip to Advance Auto and we were in business. Jeff also added a hidden switch for the fuel pump. I think that was was when it started getting dark so we quit for the day. Next the "E" with lots of problems (other than the rusty floor), but Jeff jumped in and again got it running. I took it for a spin and upon coming up to the first turn I realized we had NO BRAKES. I used the Emergency brake and got it stopped.
    After adding water, Jeff drove it slowly back to it's parking spot. Next was the MGB. Again, we needed a Fuel pump and some new fuel lines and filters. We had to shop around to get all the parts and it got dark before we could complete the job. We went back early Friday and got the MGB running. It ran fine so Jeff and I each drove it around the lot before packing up for the trip back to the Villages where we had time for a quick lunch before I got back on the shuttle to Orlando.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help from Jeff. I have seen examples like this time and time again. It's great to be part of the OPEL community.
    Last edited by crliwa; 1 Week Ago at 10:40 PM.
    Gary, kwilford, GoinManta and 16 others like this.
    Craig Roberts

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What a great story!
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwschumm View Post
    What a great story!
    Great Story!

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are certainly a lot of good hearted people within this Opel community. That was a very nice story, thanks for sharing.

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by dpre View Post
    There are certainly a lot of good hearted people within this Opel community. That was a very nice story, thanks for sharing.
    I second that as well. I would have been stuck at the Nationals, with a burned out Alternator and a blown heater valve this Oct. Thanks to a fellow Opeller, I was able to make enough repairs to make it home. Then powered up the computer to find an email, asking me to let them know my son and I made it home safely. Now that's class. Kudos Jeff, and tip of the hat John. I will forever be in your debt. Jarrell
    GoinManta, GTeglman, dpre and 1 others like this.
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's what I'm talkin about
    Won't find that anywhere else unless you open your wallet
    Damn I can't even get the people I call my friends to help with anything
    Awesome story need more people in the world like that
    GoinManta, soybean and dpre like this.
    If you make it through an entire day and learned nothing you weren't paying attention

Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Craig,
    Glad to hear that you and Jeff were able to get your brother's cars sorted out.
    A great example of how the Opel community is always willing to step up and help each other.
    Are you planning on keeping any of these cars? Your brother had good taste in vehicles!
    Regards,
    RR
    GoinManta, soybean, dpre and 1 others like this.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are the cars. I uploaded the images from my phone and I don't know why the black Vette came out sideways.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GoldGT; 1 Week Ago at 02:44 PM.
    soybean, rrossjr, dpre and 1 others like this.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Wilwood Brks,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35i BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335ix '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    AH VERY COOL looks just like something I'd like to have
    Jeff sir you are an awesome man
    soybean, GTeglman and dpre like this.
    If you make it through an entire day and learned nothing you weren't paying attention

Real Name
    Craig Roberts
    Downloads
    Uploads

My brothers cars

Thanks for posting pics of the cars Jeff.
    Yes, I plan on selling most if not all of the cars... In his will my brother left the cars along with his Harley Sportster to me, my brother and daughter. My brother Doug has the Manta we bought from Mark Paar's sister, after his passing 2 years ago, and after it won at the Springfield show, so he is all set.
    I have 4 cars here in NY, 4 at my house in Surprise, AZ and 4 at my son's 2nd house in Phoenix. Yes, I have enough cars, but no Vette's, so who knows, maybe just 1.

My daughter Lacey lives near Bill Hoffman and Pete Anastosis in Elkhorn, WI. where the winters are long and cold. Lacey has 3 kids so none of the cars make sense for her. She Loves my 67 VW Beetle w/the sunroof so she asked me for that instead. I have to work on it then get it repainted to look great before I bring it to her. I even asked Keith if he would be interested in working on it but he graciously passed.

My son was given a Bugeye Sprite that is really nice for his high school graduation by my father 20 years ago, when he got sick and couldn't drive any longer, so. we don't need or want another. My son also has 6 other cars...a Maverick Nostalgia Dragster, Mustang Bullitt, Ford pick up and a Lincoln MKVII LSC as well as a Ford Expedition for work and a Fusion as a daily driver. He also THINKS he owns the Ford Lightning that I bought my (ex) wife when I inherited money from my parents.

As you can see we are car rich and cash (and garage space) poor. The garages we do have also house our Motorcycles (5) and Bikes (20+or-).

Back to the cars Jordan left behind. The MGB is a big bumper car but is the most road ready.
    The E type has a rusted floor but as an E type it is still worth money.
    The MGTD is in an enclosed trailer but also needs work.
    Both Vettes just need a jump start to be drivable.
    Last edited by crliwa; 5 Days Ago at 01:01 PM.
    Craig Roberts

Real Name
    Craig Roberts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I should star a thread about what cars we own that are not Opels... If there is not an old one hiding somewhere on this site.
    soybean and dpre like this.
    Craig Roberts

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by crliwa View Post
    I think I should star a thread about what cars we own that are not Opels... If there is not an old one hiding somewhere on this site.
    Craig, I own, In running condition, non Opel, a 89 Saab Spg, a 2000 Dodge Durango, 1/2 of a 2006 Nissan 350Z.
    In non running, non Opel, a 78 Chevrolet El Camino (my Fathers Car), A Jaguar,(no clue as to type, Nothing. Acquired in a Trade), and a 78 Chevrolet C-30 1 Ton dually. That's it. Jarrell
    dpre likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a non-Opel that's registered as a Special Interest vehicle. And I'm the second owner. My former FIL bought it originally.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    Craig, I own, In running condition, non Opel, a 89 Saab Spg, a 2000 Dodge Durango, 1/2 of a 2006 Nissan 350Z.
    In non running, non Opel, a 78 Chevrolet El Camino (my Fathers Car), A Jaguar,(no clue as to type, Nothing. Acquired in a Trade), and a 78 Chevrolet C-30 1 Ton dually. That's it. Jarrell
    Can you post pics of that Jag? ...

Thanks, Doug
    soybean likes this.

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post

Thanks, Doug
    I can post some later, but most of it is covered up with a pool cover. Unfortunately it has been stored outside, but I did cover it up the best I could at the time. Jarrell
    dpre likes this.

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can post some later, but most of it is covered up with a pool cover. Unfortunately it has been stored outside, but I did cover it up the best I could at the time. Jarrell
    As they say in Hawai'i: No hurry, no worry! ...

Real Name
    Craig Roberts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Jarrell .... The Saab SPG was always one of my favorites.
    Craig Roberts

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by crliwa View Post
    Jarrell .... The Saab SPG was always one of my favorites.
    Mine too Craig. Mine has a Sunroof as well. The only problem is no parts available. Europarts has nothing, locally nothing. So it's on finate running time, shame too. It is great little car, Turboed too. Oh well, I have a different Grocery Getter to drive. Jarrell
    Commodåren and dpre like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine too Craig. Mine has a Sunroof as well. The only problem is no parts available. Europarts has nothing, locally nothing. So it's on finate running time, shame too. It is great little car, Turboed too. Oh well, I have a different Grocery Getter to drive. Jarrell
    At least the rear shocks fit lowered Kadett B's and GT's(and lowered Chevettes too). I have a pair of Saab 900 rear shocks in my radically lowered Commodore too(it has the same stock shock size as a Kadett B or GT).

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post

Thanks, Doug
    Here you go Doug. 1 Exterior. 2 Interior. Jarrell
    Attached Images Attached Images
    dpre likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information