My post nr. 300 (Rear diff continuation Vol ll) & a Big Thank You All
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree15Likes
  • 4 Post By GTeglman
  • 4 Post By dpre
  • 2 Post By The Scifi Guy
  • 2 Post By GTeglman
  • 1 Post By First opel 1981
  • 2 Post By GTeglman

Thread: My post nr. 300 (Rear diff continuation Vol ll) & a Big Thank You All

Real Name
    Anders Teglman
    Downloads
    Uploads

My post nr. 300 (Rear diff continuation Vol ll) & a Big Thank You All

Gents,

This is my post nr. 300, which will hardly put me into the little leagues, and I'm still light years away from the main contributors on the forum.

I can't brag that any of my previous 299 posts have been anything out of the ordinary, but I do feel that I have really connected with many of you fine gentlemen, and I am truly thankful for all the replies and advice's I have received since I joined "The Circus" back in June 2015. Norbert even helped me sourcing new rocker arms and pivot balls, back when I had the misfortune of a chain slip. What a stand up guy

Some of you might have read my post reg. my worn out rear diff., my concerns about the rebuild and troubles sourcing a NOS 3.67 & 3.89 (the latter per. advice from Rally Bob).

Sadly my rear axle wizard have not been able to finish the job so I could pick up the car today as planned (two days with migraine have kept him away from his work shop). Anyway he called me today and told me he had been working on it most of the day, and after fiddling a lot, and adding a 0.03 mm shims (that must be the same thickness of tin foil) he was finally 100% satisfied, and he promised that it'll be as good a new.

To summarize :

- Used (but good as new) 3.67 ring & pinion. A NOS 3.89 turned out to be rarer than hens teeth
    - NOS Carrier
    - NOS Spider / planetary gears
    - New complete rear axle bearing and gasket set from Splendid Parts
    - On top, he'll also change the old trail arm rubber bushings with new once from Splendid Parts
    - The orange stuff is remains of PO's liquid gasket crap, and doesn't matter.

Again, thank you all your support and advice's thru the years

Cheers.

\ Anders
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad to hear things are working out and soon you will have that Opel up and running. I agree this is a great Opel community to be apart of.

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    GREAT! Glad you conquered your project! You've boldly gone where Gordo fears to tread!

Now for the next project: Rip it out of there and install an LSD!

Wheeeeeeee!

soybean and GTeglman like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Anders Teglman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    GREAT! Glad you conquered your project! You've boldly gone where Gordo fears to tread!

Now for the next project: Rip it out of there and install an LSD!

Wheeeeeeee!

Gordo my friend,

There is really nothing to fear if you pay an expert to do the job , and you have done things I would never dare my self...

A LSD for my GT rear diff. project was on the drawing board, but (at least in Europe) I found out that a LSD is eye-watering expensive. A new or NOS is between 800 - 1400 EUR (9 - 15 Benjamin Franklin's), and that was a little to steep for me, though don't save greens to bye Chrome

Cheers boddy
    soybean and The Scifi Guy like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't help but I'll be looking around at diff threads this coming summer.

Did you end up with a 3.67 or 3.89?

I'm still not sure what I am carting around in the back of my Mercedes. It's either a 3.67 or 3.89.

I do know where another 3.67 is though and I could probably pick it up for less than $50
    soybean likes this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    Anders Teglman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    I didn't help but I'll be looking around at diff threads this coming summer.

Did you end up with a 3.67 or 3.89?

I'm still not sure what I am carting around in the back of my Mercedes. It's either a 3.67 or 3.89.

I do know where another 3.67 is though and I could probably pick it up for less than $50
    I did end up with a 3.67!

I did managed to source a 3.89 (as per advice from Rally Bob), but it was not in good condition, and it would not have been sensible to do a rebuild with it.

ATZ Teile do advertise to have both the above. Truth is that they only have a NOS 3.67 ring and pinion.

Sadly for me ATZ Teile wouldn't sell the 3.67 ring & pinion to me unless I also bought, spider / planetary gears, carrier, and bearing set (parts that I already had). To be honest I got pretty crossed, and decided to look elsewhere and luckily I found a used (but as good as new) 3.67 at a parts guy in NL.

The reason I got crossed with ATZ Teile was of two reasons.

1) They do not advert that you have to purchase additional parts before they will sell you the 3.67 ring & pinion (but in a email they told me that, that was the case).

2) I got a friend who speaks more fluent German than me to call ATZ Teile, and they would gladly sell him the 3.67 ring & pinion without all "the extras".

I had got NOS parts from Matz-autotile (carrie & spider gears) to a third of the price at ATZ Teile, and I had some time ago purchased a complete rear axle bearing set at Splendid Parts, so as stated above I didn't need those parts from ATZ.

ATZ Teile are of course welcome to run their business in any way they want, and no doubt at all that you'll get your parts super fast (I have purchased a few things from them in the past), but the price-level are in my opinion eye-watering expensive, but then again it all comes down to supply and demand.

Cheers
    Last edited by GTeglman; 1 Week Ago at 06:57 AM.
    soybean and The Scifi Guy like this.

Thread Information