Advice on finding and purchasing opel gt
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By tealcarver
  • 1 Post By opelspyder
  • 2 Post By MikeNotigan
  • 1 Post By dpre
  • 2 Post By runs5k
  • 1 Post By LynnB
  • 1 Post By opelgt722002
  • 1 Post By Dale .D
  • 1 Post By Mercougary

Thread: Advice on finding and purchasing opel gt

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Advice on finding and purchasing opel gt

Just wondering what specific issues you've noticed with purchasing opel gts. Also I've been struggling to find ones for sale near me for a reasonable price.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sirsmiley9, the biggest thing is rust, that makes it way into hard to reach places. I am NOT an expert on the rust situation, but I am sure there are members that can give you the information you need. Most selling sites like Craigslist and Ebay tend to over price their cars. Not everyone, but enough to make thing difficult for a new person getting into Opels. Also, there are a lot of used parts available on Ebay, but most are way overpriced. You can probably get a new part from Opel GT Source for less than a used part on Ebay. That's not to say it is the case for all listings, but probably 95% of them. For example, a used speedometer on Ebay, I've seen for $80.00, at OGTS Gill will probably sell you one for under $10.

Hope this helps, and I am sure that other members will chime in on the areas to look for rust and the fair amount that should be paid for a GT.

Bob
    dpre likes this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Finding the right car at the right price could take a while if you are unwilling to ship the vehicle.
    Where are you located, and what is your budget?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do not get too excited about a car for sale in a consignment dealership like Streetside Classics or Gateway Classics. These cars will look good in pictures, but usually have issues. And GTS come up for sale all the time, you don’t have to get in a rush, but when one pops up, be ready, cause if not...the good ones sell quick
    dpre likes this.
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirsmiley9 View Post
    Just wondering what specific issues you've noticed with purchasing opel gts. Also I've been struggling to find ones for sale near me for a reasonable price.
    There is an excellent book out there written by a person who knows GT's inside and out that details just about every aspect you need to know about the GT; short of wading through the thousands of forum topics on this site or worse; learning things on your own as you go, the hard way! Go to the website called Blurb, in the search box, type in Opel GT and it will take you to the book. The author is our own Mr Lundholm, who also does concourse restorations of these little cars and for that, it helps elevate the importance of this car and the marque as a whole. His book contains a lifetime of insiders information that the Factory Service Manual never touched. And it's all in bright, vibrant color.

Nothing beats a good book by your side versus a computer, tablet or laptop, imo. Another book you would want to get ahold of is the Brookland Books Opel GT Workshop Manual, a sort of compilation of the Factory Service Manual. I believe the Brookland Books copy can be had at Opel GT Source (another great source of GT info on their site) and the FSM can be found on Ebay.

Another wealth of information could be had by joining the Opel Motorsport Club; again, a place where lifetimes worth of personal information and experience working on Opels is compiled.

So there ya go! Welcome to the madness.

This site's for-sale ads as well as Craigslist is a good starter to find GT's for sale. Good luck!
    soybean and dpre like this.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That about says it all Mike
    Truly the book Keith wrote is absolutely a great read. I would only add, be patient in your search and good
    things will come your way. There is an Opel GT out there and you will land it, just be diligent in your searching
    and have lots of patience.

Good luck and look forward to hearing your success story
    MikeNotigan likes this.

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

Real Name
    Gerry Carrigan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It took me about 6 months to locate mine. I was looking for cars in the southern states like Texas and California. I also bought a car from California that was not restored. All of its blemishes were visible. Mine had dents but no rust. Check out my garage here. You'll see when it was brought down to bare metal there was zero rust. I had to replace the battery box because of the acid (OGTS product). Good Luck and be patient.
    MikeNotigan and dpre like this.

Real Name
    Lynn
    Downloads
    Uploads
    1. Avoid dealers of all kinds. Period. Be patient. Guys that bought these new are dying (not trying to be crass, just saying). Families are selling them.

2. Honestly assess your own capabilities. For instance, I don't mind doing mechanical work (in fact, it is what I LIKE to do for stress relief), so those issues to bother me. If you have the aptitude, time and tools, that is a huge plus. On the other hand, I CAN do body and paint, but don't enjoy it much. And even a skilled guy will start cussing rust. GIANT PITA. Bottom line, don't buy a car you will need to pay someone to fix. You will be under water before the first repair bill comes in.

which brings me to:

3. The less rust the better. You likely won't find one that didn't rust in the battery tray, and normally, the acid worked its way down and caused some damage to the belly pan. Once again, the less rust the better.
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirsmiley9 View Post
    Richard Stephens red GT is for sale in Texas. I think around $13K.
    Last edited by opelgt722002; 4 Days Ago at 11:25 PM.
    dpre likes this.
    Bob

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea I agree his GT is beautiful, but $13,000 wow.
    If I had that much to spend, it’s well worth the money.

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

Real Name
    Dale Doebert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd keep the word out there in the Opel groups like you have but you have to give people an Idea of what you're budget is. I got mine by emailing every dealer I knew. One referred me to an older couple that was considering selling . Good luck.
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My advise would be to scrap the whole GT idea and look for a Manta.
    dpre likes this.

Thread Information