Would you buy a new Opel?
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Would you buy a new Opel?

1970-GT
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lots of talk about Opel's and Saturns in the US lately.
    I love my 1970 Opel GT, had it for 28 years!
    It is a great vintage/fun car to drive and restore......by ourselves!!!

But, I have no love for GM/Opel!
    I think it would be real hard to sell Opel's in the US, to anyone who was driving in the mid 70's.
    I remember when GM left us German Opel owners on our own! :banghead:
    Thanks for buying..........but, we will no longer carry parts or service them!
    Oh, and now your Opel is worth almost nothing!
    Thanks GM!

I will buy a new Opel or GM product when they start supporting my GT.
    So that means never!

I am talking about GM/Opel returning to the US, not a Saturn!

What do other US Opel owners think?
    Lyle

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Manta Maniac Site Supporter Rionart's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs upGood Question...

Hmmm Lyle.....
    I wasn't here to witness the aftermath of the pullout in the 70's, but from some of the stories I've heard, it wasn't pretty!
    The current generation of European Opels are competent vehicles, but none really set me on fire, although I 'm getting out of touch and don't know what the latest performance offerings are.
    I think the Calibra was the last Opel I really liked...most since then (apart from the Speedster and the Astra Xtreme obviously) have been pretty euro-blah.
    As an economy car I think Opel would fail in the US...move it upmarket, with all the bells and whistles, and it may find a niche market like say Saab, but then GM is competing against itself....
    I guess I'd sit on the fence until I saw just what was coming in...but I'd certaily favour the Opel brand just to have another 'Blitz' on the driveway.
    Rob.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For my part, I would seriously consider buying a new Opel GT from GM if - and only if - I could buy it badged and titled as an "Opel GT" from the factory. I'm not interested in a Saturn Sky or a Pontiac Solstice that has a "Blitz" insignia slapped on as an afterthought. Maybe it's splitting hairs, but that's where I draw the line. I'm even OK with it being made in Deleware rather than Germany. It was after all designed by Opel in Germany, so it probably makes as much sense to describe the Sky and Solstice as rebadged Opels!
    As to the question of whether GM will offer parts support to the new GT? Consider the fact that the new GT shares parts with the Pontiac & Saturn and it is likely that our European friends will be looking to us here in the good 'ol U.S.A. for parts support for their new GT's. That sort of puts us in the "drivers seat" as it were!
    So yeah, I would like to see Opels reintroduced to the United States. Though I'm of the opinion that they should be marketed as a stand alone dealership or perhaps through Saturn. Let's face it, Buick never really knew how or cared enough to support the Opel.
    -Jonzo
    Last edited by Jonzo; 10-18-2006 at 06:59 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

New Brunswick Opeler Ray Morley's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the Agila is kinda cool. If they show up in Canada I would probably buy one.

Downloads
    Uploads

IF it LOOKED the same

I'd buy another Opel GT2 (lets call it) if it looked a lot the same and
    had a KILLER AIR CONDITIONER, power steering, power brakes, power windows, power headlights, and 'MORE Power' as Tim Allen would say.

But at the top of the list if it had nothing else added would be a KILLER AIR CONDITIONER. Paul H, Ron D, and Lyle must agree, all being from the hotter areas.

jj

Real Name
    Tony Holcomb
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There's a fat chance that GM will ever bring Opel back to the states. Sorry, but all the market analysist say that GM has too many badges in the first place. Pontiac needs a lot of work, Buick is half dead, and they have a hard time selling Saabs. However, Chevy/GMC's best with their trucks and SUVs, Saturns coming up in the World, even with gas prices fluctuating and sky-rocketing, Hummer does pretty good, Caddillacs always do well, and the Corvette and Camaro(waiting..) are heavy hitters. A number of thier new models hit the market and blow-out but they have a hard time keeping sales up after a few years.

Now, if you can get past the GM inner turmoil, then there are other problems.
    Are most Opels front wheel drive or rear wheel drive? Because GM has wavered on the subject for a good long time with all their marquees. They can't seem to make up their mind though I'm not sure if they have made a decision on that at this time. I had read that only 10 out of the many many models that Gm has are rear wheel drive, mostly being high-end cars like the Cadillacs and Corvette. So, you might not like what they did if they did get here, just as it is frowned upon that the new Impala isn't rear-wheel.

Other then that there is the fact that my age range(teens to twenty-somethings) doesn't recognize the Opel name, and older ages mostly remember it for being inexpensive or unreliable. I sure that everyone had their share of snears at the mention of an Opel. So, that in mind, there would be a large hurdle for marketing.

But, personally, I would like to see the Opel name brought back to the states, I just don't think that its feasible. I love a lot of the Opel models throught the entire history of its name and I think that the new GT is a very good design.
    Needs a 2dr Ascona, everyone else has one.

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When they bring back real rear-wheel drive Opels with no strut-type suspension, sure I'll buy one (i.e., never). But in general, I'm no fan of the current market offerings. I liked the late-'60's 'til early '80's Opels. Most were rear drive, and while the build quality was so-so, the engineering was better than a lot of other more expensive offerings from other car makers. But they've since jumped the shark and it's all bean-counters calling the shots now...

Bob

1970-GT
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DESTEC View Post
    I'd buy another Opel GT2 (lets call it) if it looked a lot the same and
    had a KILLER AIR CONDITIONER, power steering, power brakes, power windows, power headlights, and 'MORE Power' as Tim Allen would say.
    But at the top of the list if it had nothing else added would be a KILLER AIR CONDITIONER. Paul H, Ron D, and Lyle must agree, all being from the hotter areas.
    jj
    JJ, sounds like all you need to do is install A/C in your GT!
    Then you wouldn't need to spend $30K on a new Saturn/Opel!
    My A/C is not working right now, leaking somewhere!
    Gil is working on some parts for an A/C system also.
    In another few weeks it will be cooler!
    Lyle
    I do like & support our independant Opel suppliers!

Real Name
    Reis
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would consider a "GT2" if it looked more like the original. The new design is way too simple and "contemporary", or so they call it. IMO Also, a true coupe without all that cloth top business couldnt hurt, either.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Are most Opels front wheel drive or rear wheel drive? Because GM has wavered on the subject for a good long time with all their marquees.
    From what I read in Motor Trend a couple of months ago, GM is in the process of bringing back the RWD platform. They (MT) said that by 2010, GM's line-up will have Pontiac back in the performance sector with no FWD vehicles and that Saturn will fill the Oldsmobile slot. BTW, in the same article, MT said that Ford is phasing out their RWD models to one (Mustang), even doing away with the old workhorse, the Crown Vic.
    Who knows what these guys are thinking? Personally, I prefer a vehicle that's trying to get me around the corner instead of being pulled.
    FWIW,
    Dave
    The difference between your butt and your soul is that God only has to save your soul once. - David Zielinski

baz
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    as a driver of an almost modern for this site opel vectra ( well ita a 97 ) i can say this ,
    the seats hurt
    the ride is ok for a FWD but tyre noise is intrusive
    the economy is good (i get 58 to an imp gallon but this is an oil burner)
    the interior creaks rattles and bangs on anything but a pool table smooth surface (this is after i went round the whole car and tightened all the trim up when i got it )
    i get warning lights that come on when they like but have to pay $120 a time to go get them reset
    it has taken me 6 months to learn how to reverse park the thing as the view backwards is poor and the mirrors are odd shaped so miss lead you

this is the same in the corsa and omegas i have driven
    by the time saturn gets then and says to itself "hey lets make the ride smooth and change the body every few months so folks will want a new one each time we change it " i think the astra (first opel comming under the saturn banner) will end up looking like a dogs dinner and go round corners like a drunken donkey
    An Eagle may fly high but a Weasel doesnt get sucked into a jet engine.

101st Airborne 1/327 Inf Site Supporter MICAH1's Avatar
    Real Name
    Thomas Johnson
    Downloads
    Uploads

Angry

I love the original GT and European OPEL Speedster with the stacked exhaust....

Got no desire for what I call the aftermarket American built Pontiac SOLSTICE, Saturn SKY, and GT assembled in Delaware and exported overseas.
    Last edited by MICAH1; 10-20-2006 at 08:09 AM.
    Thomas

Real Name
    Tony Holcomb
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by spamseptictank View Post
    From what I read in Motor Trend a couple of months ago, GM is in the process of bringing back the RWD platform. They (MT) said that by 2010, GM's line-up will have Pontiac back in the performance sector with no FWD vehicles and that Saturn will fill the Oldsmobile slot. BTW, in the same article, MT said that Ford is phasing out their RWD models to one (Mustang), even doing away with the old workhorse, the Crown Vic.
    Who knows what these guys are thinking? Personally, I prefer a vehicle that's trying to get me around the corner instead of being pulled.
    FWIW,
    Dave
    They've been in the proccess for several years now. Ford moving away from Rear-wheel. What ARE they think? They need to take they're heads out of thier hind-section and take a better look at Daimler-Chrysler. Although personally I think that they've all made and still are making thier share of mistakes. Dodge hasn't had anything comprarble to the Mustang or Camaro for years though they hit solid gold with the 300/Magnum/Charger though some might have thier objects to one or the others. GM was stupid to pull the Camaro without an immediate replacement. And Ford lost a good portion of the cute little car market to the Beetle when they axed the Cougar, not to mention the fact that they keep killing cars that have a good chance with a little tweeking such as the Maurauder and Blackwood.

I could pick them apart all day, but they do have their good points. It's just tit for tat when it comes to the Big Three.
    Needs a 2dr Ascona, everyone else has one.

Detroit,where my home was 2 Fast 4 U's Avatar
    Real Name
    Erick Janssen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Morley View Post
    I think the Agila is kinda cool. If they show up in Canada I would probably buy one.
    The Agila is a rebadged Susuki Wagon R!!!!
    Opel Ascona;
    Only built from 1970 - 1975

Understeer: The front of the car hits the wall,
    Oversteer: The rear of the car hits the wall,
    Horsepower: How fast the car hits the wall,
    Torque: How far the car pushes the wall.

Real Name
    Erick Janssen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post

Are most Opels front wheel drive or rear wheel drive?
    The only Opel, now a days, that has RWD is the Omega
    Opel Ascona;

Real Name
    Erick Janssen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I will not buy a car that I can't work on my self, so I'll be stuck with over aged cars . The reason why? I can not and will not pay the amount of money the garage asks, for that money I can do it my self for about 4 times , and if I get stuck with something, I can always ask my brother for help!!!!
    and if a car is older than 25 years you don't have to pay any tax [driving on gas has the cheapest tax then diesel, about 2x the tax as gas, and then LPG, about 3x the tax as gas] for having it on the road!!!!!!! So we put in a LPG installation and dive cheap on LPG, 1 liter [= 0.26 gallon US = 0.22 gallon UK] gas RON 95 cost 120.9 Euro cent and a liter LPG costs 45.5 Euro cent!!
    Last edited by 2 Fast 4 U; 10-19-2006 at 05:11 PM.
    Opel Ascona;

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Fast 4 U View Post
    The only Opel, now a days, that has RWD is the Omega
    And the new GT, if you consider that to be an Opel.

-Kurt
    '62 Rekord P2 Coupe, '67 Kiemen Kadett, '69 Kadett Wagon, '69 Kadett Rallye, '70 Rekord C Sedan, '71 Manta Rallye, '70 GT, '72 GT

Thread Information