Opel owner in North Carolina needs help
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opel owner in North Carolina needs help

Real Name
    jim
    Downloads
    Uploads

Opel owner in North Carolina needs help

Is there anyone near Kernersville that can give a fellow Opel brother some help ? :banghead:

Please let Opel Jim know

Thanks a billion

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Opel Jim,
    The Carolina Opel Club will be more than happy to help out. Have him contact me at [email protected] and maybe I can lead him in the right direction. If I can't help, someone in the club sure can!
    Just curious, what is the problem?
    Roy Bell
    1973 Opel GT
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just got off the phone with him and directed him to this site. The shop that has his 69 doesn't have a clue.:banghead: They don't even have a Opel FSM. I told him to get the car from the shop, and later this summer after planting season Gueher and I would get together and get it running. Started out with a ticking of the valves, hydraulic and they are about to mess it up totally. They want to put in new lifters, new head bolts, etc.
    In an effort to get oil to the valves they put in, get this now, 24 quarts of oil and filled the engine full to the top. Now the head is off and they want to try something else. I told him to get his car and parts and get it home before they did any real damage. What a bunch of Putzes. He said it was running good until the valves started ticking and the repair shop, I use that term loosely, got ahold of it.
    On another note, Roy, I told him to get in touch with you about the Spring AutoFair in terms of tickets. Seems like a real nice guy too. Started out with a 68 Kadette Rallye, so he's got Opelitus.
    Jarrell
    Last edited by soybean; 03-13-2007 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling errors
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gotta love the Opel Community!!! Nice work in the span of 3 hours.

Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    24 quarts of oil.... Wow... Jarrell, send me his telephone number and I will give him a call about the AutoFair...
    Roy Bell
    1973 Opel GT
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice save!

How do so called "mechanics" get it so wrong??

Apart from the cam and ignition timing 'challenges' of the Opel CIH motor the last time I looked it was just a fairly conventional four cycle automotive motor which works on exactly the same principles as millions of others.

The dipstick even has a "FULL" mark on it !
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Real Name
    Lloyd
    Downloads
    Uploads

Opel Mechanics

The problem has finally risen it's ugly head, over the last 15 years being and auto tech has evolved into being a computed tech. Modern cars have so many computerized this and sensorized that that you have to plug it into a computer to get a diagnostic signal and let it "throw" a code to tell what is ailing it. If you take your "antique" to one of those shops that have techs that have not been working in the field for a number of years, they are lost as to how to figure out what is wrong with your car without the "box". Kinda like going into the auto parts store and asking a rookie counter person for a part they cannot look up in the computer by year, make, model and parts grouping they are lost, unless you have a "grey beard" there that knows how to FLY BY THE SEAT OF THEIR PANTS. It is hard to find a mechanic that can FIX something instead of changing parts.

Moderator Site Supporter neuropel's Avatar
    Real Name
    Todd Kirby
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Holy Mackerel! I hope they don't try to turn the engine over with that much oil in it. Hydraulic lock would be BAD...:banghead:
    Paddle faster...I hear banjo music!
    1967 Kadett L Rallye 1.1L

Downloads
    Uploads
    I gave that shop a FSM a few weeks before they received the rebuilt engine from OGTS. I don't know if they didn't prime the oil pump properly or if something in the engine wasn't put together properly I would assume that an engine from OGTS would come with the oil pump packed with grease, but maybe not. I did offer them a stripped distributor to use for priming, but they said that they had already done that. Could a cam bearing be put in wrong and block oil flow in the head?
    Last edited by 73Manta72gt; 03-13-2007 at 09:31 AM.

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by neuropel View Post
    Holy Mackerel! I hope they don't try to turn the engine over with that much oil in it. Hydraulic lock would be BAD...:banghead:
    From the way Steve talked, (Opel owner) they did try to turn it over like that in an effort to get oil to the lifters. I Pmed Opeljim to get me some specs on the engine as to what was put in on the rebuild and the year of the engine. I suspect it all goes back to the Oil pump after the distributor was pulled when they took the head off the first time. I think it's in the pressure relief valve in the pump cover or in the timing cover. It is hard to diagnose it over the phone and the owner doesn't know that much about an Opel engine, neither does the "Repair shop" I'll know more when I hear from Opeljim and see the engine. I almost spit out my Ginger Ale when I heard Steve tell me 24 quarts of oil, and made him repeat that part twice. He lives about 45 min from me so that won't be a problem getting to the car. I told him to get another head gasket set from OGTS and we would go from there.

Gueher, you posted right before I did. Steve said you had given them a service manual and several distributors to try. But the kicker for me was Steve said he had driven the car 450 miles before it developd the ticking. To me that was just a lifter issue.

Roy, I'll pm you the phone nos later today. I'm off to get a front end alignment on the Gt.
    Jarrell
    Last edited by soybean; 03-13-2007 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Added more

Downloads
    Uploads
    The story I heard was that the car got a hole knocked in the oil pan which ruined the original engine. Then a new engine was ordered and they never got oil preasure to the head on it...I don't think the car has been driven since the engine was changed..at least I hope not.

No....its not a Buick.... yellaopelgt's Avatar
    Real Name
    Joe
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Best get all written documentation on this little"adventure". Sounds like they probly blew every gasket on the entire motor. And of course....it wasnt thier fault.
    Definately get that car out of thier reach ASAP. Its amazing that a shop would actually dump that much oil into a motor and try to turn it over!!! WOW!!!! Lets just keep our fingers crossed that they didnt do some real damage... unbelievable....and I agree, people just think too hard about the simple things somtimes. Keep it simple stupid!!!!
    Joe
    What ...we got here...is........failure......................... to communicate....
    Some men,you just cant reach...so you get what we had here last week...which is the way he wants it.
    Well, he gets it...I dont like it, any more than you men...

Real Name
    jim
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not how it was explained to me

The new engine was not from OGTS
    It was rebuilt by USA Opel
    It was done by the same NAPA machine shop in Fallbrook Cal that has rebuilt our Opel engines for the past 11 years same machinist who has 36 years experience in rebuilding engines.
    All moving parts were greased with assembly grease and the oil pump was packed so no priming was necessary. ( which was done incorrectly by the "mechanic")

As far as the 450 mile drive that was on the NEW engine according to Steve.

The "repair shop" never called USA Opel for any information about the rebuilt engine or asked for tech tips.
    One of them appeared to be the no it all type(with no prior Opel experiences)
    when I spoke to them.

They are claiming it takes 15 hours to remove and install a 1.9L engine.

I am hoping that Jarrell and others there in NC can assist Steve and I really appreciate the Opel communities response to a new friend in need.
    I asked Steve to contact members of this site prior to bringing his Gt to this "repair shop" just to ask about where to have his GT repaired in NC.
    I wish he had ............ now it is all you all to the rescue
    THANKS TO ALL OF YOU A MILLION BILLION TIMES. Opelers are the best !!!

Real Name
    Lloyd
    Downloads
    Uploads

Opel GT nightmare

I can see the guy standing there now, garder hose in hand "high water pants" pulled up over his stomach, saying "haw, I always wanted to work on one of them".

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Steve came by to see me today and I showed him a few different engines and types of oil pumps. Flat cover and the other with the pressure relief valve in the cover, and showed him how to check them out. He said the ticking had occured after he had driven 450 miles, and to me that sounds like valve adjustment. Then he said there was no oil getting to the back part of the head, so I showed him in the service manual how the oil was circulated, and a head that I had off an engine and how oil got to it. The "Mechanic" has now backed off on the thought that lifters are the problem.
    Steve said Gueher had gone by and had offered, maybe even let them borrow a service manual, and they acted like they knew it all. He said they also figured out they didn't need new head bolts either. That was the point I asked about a service manual and heard the above.
    I asked him if they even knew the torque sequence and lbs per inch for the torque, and he said they just started wrenching away. I also showed him the torque sequence in the service manual. He left with a little better idea of what to look/ask about, but he really needs to get the car out of that shop and at least to one in Greensboro that works on imports and can "read" a Service Manual. I can go and take a look maybe next week, but the way the "Repair shop" sounds, I don't think I will be met with a very warm, fuzzy reception. What a mess.:banghead:

I also told him again to join up here and all the questions he had about the car were here on the board. That's the best I can do now from a distance. I'd give it a shot, but I'll be planting in a about a month and need to service equipment.
    I'll keep everyone informed on the "Repair Shop Saga" and I'm sure Gueher will too.
    Jarrell

Real Name
    jim
    Downloads
    Uploads

After I talked to Chris the "mechanic"

Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    Steve came by to see me today and I showed him a few different engines and types of oil pumps. Flat cover and the other with the pressure relief valve in the cover, and showed him how to check them out. He said the ticking had occured after he had driven 450 miles, and to me that sounds like valve adjustment. Then he said there was no oil getting to the back part of the head, so I showed him in the service manual how the oil was circulated, and a head that I had off an engine and how oil got to it. The "Mechanic" has now backed off on the thought that lifters are the problem.
    Steve said Gueher had gone by and had offered, maybe even let them borrow a service manual, and they acted like they knew it all. He said they also figured out they didn't need new head bolts either. That was the point I asked about a service manual and heard the above.
    I asked him if they even knew the torque sequence and lbs per inch for the torque, and he said they just started wrenching away. I also showed him the torque sequence in the service manual. He left with a little better idea of what to look/ask about, but he really needs to get the car out of that shop and at least to one in Greensboro that works on imports and can "read" a Service Manual. I can go and take a look maybe next week, but the way the "Repair shop" sounds, I don't think I will be met with a very warm, fuzzy reception. What a mess.:banghead:

I also told him again to join up here and all the questions he had about the car were here on the board. That's the best I can do now from a distance. I'd give it a shot, but I'll be planting in a about a month and need to service equipment.
    I'll keep everyone informed on the "Repair Shop Saga" and I'm sure Gueher will too.
    Jarrell
    Now I concur with you 100% Jarrell
    Steve needs to get his Opel out of that "repair" "tire" shop. I told him. You told him, now it is up to him to do the right thing and rescue his GT from the no it alls there before they really do some damage.

Steve told me today he was very happy to have met you. He also told me that he wants to drive his GT ASAP, maybe brining it to a MG mechanic next?
    I told him to wait until you and Gueher could help.

I called Chris to find out how many head bolts were damaged and he told me none I assured him it is ok to retorque this bolts so he said OK not to sent them.
    Yes Chris told me he wanted new lifters because they were not "drawing up any oil ". I am still not sure if they were damaged on the 450 mile drive, and if they really need to be replaced as they were NEW when we sent the engine there. 450 miles later they need to be replaced?
    What still puzzles me is that if Steve drove the car that far and there was no oil getting to the head then why didn't the cam bearings tear up, why didn't the cam seize, why didn't the timing chain break ???

I know you are super busy so again thank you for your help and support
    Jim

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by OpelJim View Post
    I called Chris to find out how many head bolts were damaged and he told me none I assured him it is ok to retorque this bolts so he said OK not to sent them.
    "Exactly what I told him too." WJY
    Yes Chris told me he wanted new lifters because they were not "drawing up any oil ". I am still not sure if they were damaged on the 450 mile drive, and if they really need to be replaced as they were NEW when we sent the engine there. 450 miles later they need to be replaced?
    "That's why I showed him a hyd lifter, the head, and the different oilpumps as well as the FSM and the lube chart. It's pumped up not "lifted"." WJY
    What still puzzles me is that if Steve drove the car that far and there was no oil getting to the head then why didn't the cam bearings tear up, why didn't the cam seize, why didn't the timing chain break ???
    "Exactly again, that's why I have thought all along it was a simple valve adjustment." WJY
    I know you are super busy so again thank you for your help and support
    Jim
    "No problem, just have to fix the "mechanics" mistakes.:banghead:"
    Jarrell WJY
    Last edited by kwilford; 03-15-2007 at 01:18 AM. Reason: hit the "edit" button Jarrell to see how multiple quotes work

Downloads
    Uploads
    There it is again folks. Opel people helping Opel people. Isn't this a great site!!!

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the tip and the edit Keith. Hey, it took me a few days to learn how to insert hyperlink. Jarrell

Real Name
    jim
    Downloads
    Uploads

exactly what we told Chris too

[QUOTE=soybean;120450]"Exactly what I told him too." WJY

"Exactly again, that's why I have thought all along it was a simple valve adjustment." WJY

Both my machinist John at NAPA in Fallbrook, mechanics Jim Petzold, Joe Alsuiex Tom Papadokis and I all agreed that all that was needed was a valve adjustment. I even told Chris what and how to do the adjustment.
    BUT that was not done properly and the car was given to Steven in "driveable" condition. So now who knows how badly it was damaged.
    I am sure many if not all of the seals will need to be replaced.
    Sending a head gasket set to Steve.
    Still not sure if the lifters got damaged?:banghead:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information