Real Oddball...
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Real Oddball...

Manta Maniac Site Supporter Rionart's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Real Oddball...

Hey Everyone,
    I've stumbled across a Santa Matilde Convertible from Brazil for sale here in Canada.
    I've done a bit of googling and Wiki, but there does not seem to be a whole lot of info available.
    Does anyone on here know much about these cars?
    There is a faint Opel connection...the original running gear is from a Chevy Opala.
    This particular car does not currently have a motor, but a 350 SBC will fit....I'm getting tempted...(someone just shoot me now :banghead: )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Tony Holcomb
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wiki

There beautiful. First gen looks like a modifed Gremlin. Not sure about the Second Gen. Third Gen looks like a modified Mustang.
    Needs a 2dr Ascona, everyone else has one.

Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rionart View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    I've stumbled across a Santa Matilde Convertible from Brazil...
    Cool looking vehicle. Looks a little "Avanti-ish" from the side.
    Ron in Indy
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Everyone,
    I'm getting tempted...(someone just shoot me now :banghead: )
    Here's just a warning shot. It's a Brazilian sports car that doesn't really look that sporty and it's an automatic. I bet you're going to have some great adventures tying to find parts for it. Jerry

Real Name
    Lloyd
    Downloads
    Uploads

Santa Matilde

Hey Everyone,
    I've stumbled across a Santa Matilde Convertible from Brazil for sale here in Canada.
    I've done a bit of googling and Wiki, but there does not seem to be a whole lot of info available.
    Does anyone on here know much about these cars?
    There is a faint Opel connection...the original running gear is from a Chevy Opala.
    This particular car does not currently have a motor, but a 350 SBC will fit....I'm getting tempted...(someone just shoot me now :banghead: )
    One thing it has going for it, is that it is all there except the drive train. It would sure make a conversation piece. With an american drive line you would have a very good driver, the only draw back that I can see is if you need a piece of glass or a body part you are pretty much up the creek. If it can be had cheap enough to make into a driver I say go for it if you can turn wrenches and fabricate mounts and a rear end set-up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It looks like a Fiat built by GM.

It is probably fiberglass and I'd be willing to bet all the glass, trim, and running gear were pretty much sourced from a parts bin. Kind of like a kit car, but not really. More like the Puma. That was sold here as a kit, but in Brazil they were sold as complete running cars. Nice little sporty things, but all aircooled VW under the skin. They made a body and used regular VW hardware for the fittings and trim.
    "No, it's not fiberglass."
    "No, the motor is not in the back."
    "No, your friend in high school did not 'peg' his speedometer."

Real Name
    Jim
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dang Rob, not only are your Canada connections unique, you must have a big barn I plan to see one day. This one would put you in Hemmings or another magazine for sure. Talk about orphans!

Whomever wrote the Wikipedia entry says this brand is "legendary" as I am sure you already know:
    Santa Matilde - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The entry also says, "One car was produced by demand in 1997. It has inestimable value for collectors." My cars are also "inestimable," though I am a doubtful source of reality, a crackpot really, about my cars. Maybe this one is the real deal you could sell back to some Brazilian entrepreneur fat cat for a million bucks. They are down there.

The seams look good from here. And I'd be glad to change the oil for you, once you find an engine, or help you with that hardtop on a warm day in return for a ride. Even if the roof leaks it's a good trade for the Gremlin look of those hardbodies.

I will attend your museum opening for sure.

Bang!

Jim
    Last edited by timemachine; 02-29-2008 at 02:48 AM.
    '74 Manta ("Sig")
    '75 Sportwagon (project)
    '72 GT (whenever I get to it)
    Sold or wrecked:
    '72 Manta Rallye
    '73 Manta
    '74 Luxus

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like someone took a Porsche 911, Porsche 914, and Mustang Gen 1 and 2; put them in a blender, pushed whip, sucked it down with a straw, then threw up, and that's what came out of it.
    Arguing online is the same as racing in the Special Olympics;
    no matter who wins, you're both still retarded.

1971 GT (Opelwasp)
    1974 Manta A (Polizei)
    2001 Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4 Quad Cab
    2006 Suzuki SV650S
    2009 Chevy Impala LT
    2015 Dodge Charger SE

Moderator Site Supporter neuropel's Avatar
    Real Name
    Todd Kirby
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the car has real potential. I like the look of the interior, and especially the way the dash is laid out. I wouldn't shove a heavy SBC in there, but perhaps the aluminum buick/rover V8 would be a nice fit.

I'm sure we'll see it in Carlisle in a year or two...

Todd K.
    Paddle faster...I hear banjo music!
    1967 Kadett L Rallye 1.1L

Real Name
    Tony Holcomb
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by timemachine View Post
    Dang Rob, not only are your Canada connections unique, you must have a big barn I plan to see one day. This one would put you in Hemmings or another magazine for sure. Talk about orphans!

Whomever wrote the Wikipedia entry says this brand is "legendary" as I am sure you already know:
    Santa Matilde - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The entry also says, "One car was produced by demand in 1997. It has inestimable value for collectors." My cars are also "inestimable," though I am a doubtful source of reality, a crackpot really, about my cars. Maybe this one is the real deal you could sell back to some Brazilian entrepreneur fat cat for a million bucks. They are down there.

The seams look good from here. And I'd be glad to change the oil for you, once you find an engine, or help you with that hardtop on a warm day in return for a ride. Even if the roof leaks it's a good trade for the Gremlin look of those hardbodies.

I will attend your museum opening for sure.

Bang!

Jim
    There were half a dozen of them on Ebay Brazil. None Verts.

Ebay Brazil

Real Name
    Tony Holcomb
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelnut10 View Post
    One thing it has going for it, is that it is all there except the drive train. It would sure make a conversation piece. With an american drive line you would have a very good driver, the only draw back that I can see is if you need a piece of glass or a body part you are pretty much up the creek. If it can be had cheap enough to make into a driver I say go for it if you can turn wrenches and fabricate mounts and a rear end set-up.
    I think that the glass is from another common car. Body panels would still be a problem. But it's not like Rob puts a lot of miles on these cars. They aren't daily drivers.

Real Name
    Lloyd
    Downloads
    Uploads

glass & body panels

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    I think that the glass is from another common car. Body panels would still be a problem. But it's not like Rob puts a lot of miles on these cars. They aren't daily drivers.
    It's not how much you drive it, although it does increase your chances of getting hit the more you drive it. It only take one driver with his cell phone in his or her ear or just not paying attention to put you out of commision as several people on this site can vouch to. If I had this car I would make sure it was insured for more than enough for me to get over my grief after it was hit. I have lost three Opels in the last 20 years to inattentive morons with their head up their rear end and running into them. Then to add insult to injury their insurance company tells you that they a totaling your car and it is only worth about 1/5 of what it was before their idiot ran into it

Thread Information