Follow up to "Green GT with Paint or Sticker Flames ??? Not sure... - $2500"
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Follow up to "Green GT with Paint or Sticker Flames ??? Not sure... - $2500"

Downloads
    Uploads

Follow up to "Green GT with Paint or Sticker Flames ??? Not sure... - $2500"

Hello

I had a 1970 Opel GT when in College and have been looking to buy one. I saw Iggy's post in The Lounge/General Discussion/Opels - The Weird and Wacky Side with the subject "Green GT with Paint or Sticker Flames ??? Not sure... - $2500"

I went to see this Opel today and with the Owners permission I will relay a little more info and a few of the photos I took. First of all the Owners are very nice people, very talented with lots of interests and projects. I could tell the whole story, but that might comprimise their privacy and I will just stick with what I saw. The car is a project, but was stripped and de-rusted, primed and painted and then a lot of suspension work and a engine rebuild with a mild cam was put in place. It was running for a couple years as an unfinished, but fun driver. At some point the Engine compartment wiring was smoked probably because of a starter issue. A second inginition on the dash was in use so it wasn't the typical GT ignition issue. The owner started to remake it as a racer with a different motor so he wouldn't have to redo the rough interior and just never got any further with it. A really nice Hot Rod project has been taking up all his time of late. So here is a list of other things I saw with the pictures telling quite a bit.

* Just decent paint, definately not show car quality.
    * No rust visible except for some very minor surface rust in a few places. Lots of work on de-rusting with new metal in floors and other locations. Looked like some bondo here and there.
    * Hood has hinge assembly off and the color is a shade off from the rest of the car.
    * Dash has alot of cracking.
    * The header is very rough.
    * The Seats are rough and loose for access with seat covers.
    * No door panels
    * Nice grey carpet work behind the seat, console and floor.
    * In other words the interior is pretty rough
    * The Suspension work front and back looked to be extensive and well done - see photos.
    * Engine recently rebuilt with mild cam with orginal accessories and carburator.
    * New Disc Brakes front and back.
    * Very nice newer aftermarket wheel and tires.
    * Orginal Brake and Ccutch assemby are gone with new assembly for clutch & individual rear brakes for slider racing in box ready to install.
    * Front bumper absent from photos, but he has it with a rough painted finish.
    * Door seal rubber is good.
    * All the glass is good, windows including the rears appeared to operate OK, but the passenger side door doesn't shut tight and needs adjustment or som other work.
    * Rear top & side panel welded to back panel with pretty decent smooth finish work on edging.
    * Battery moved to spare tire shelf with a well done wooden frame.
    * The famous flames on the side were painted on later to cover some blemishes in the paint.

In other words what has been done mechanically, particularly the suspension and brakes appears to be top notch. The paint is just a good cover and most will probably want to repaint it. There is some work on the starter and wiring to get it back running and the interior is going to take a lot of work and the clutch and brake assembly will take some time. Definately doable, but more time then I have to give it so I passed. In my opinon there is a lot more value here than $2,500.00, but I am by no means an expert.

If you are looking for a project car with the de-rusting, suspension and most the motor work done this may be the car for you. I am not real familiar with the photo system here, but will I will try to post 4 reduced quality photos here now and add 4 more in another post. I have 28 photos and I can E-mail others to those that are interested.

GaryW
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Additional Photos.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just a couple more.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Video of green GT with paint flames!!

Video of green GT with paint flames!!

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What are those items between the rear bumperettes and why is there a hole in the back panel where the license plate goes? Opelers want to know
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for all the extra photos.

-Eric

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jlthunder View Post
    What are those items between the rear bumperettes and why is there a hole in the back panel where the license plate goes? Opelers want to know
    I didn't notice it when I was there due to the GT being backed up close to the garage wall.

It sure looks with the two smaller holes to be a key or some other device opening.

When I saw this GT it had been sitting all winter with other work going on around it and it was pretty dirty. It sure looks a lot better cleaned up. I am surprised with all the work with the complete body tear down, repair and sealing, decent paint suspension work, engine overhaul etc. that someone that has the time to finish it up hasn't bought it.

Thread Information