O.P.E.L. making a come back - Page 3
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: O.P.E.L. making a come back

Real Name
    Chris Gawelko
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No problem. anything to help some car people!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dale Doebert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm signed up. So If you happen to breakdown or what ever on southern Vancouver Is Canada . ! Will be handy on our next rd trip down south.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

southeast ohio,im i

i'm new to the group but count me in , cincinnati east aera

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    It has been a little while since this thread has popped up to the top but it should get there more often.

It just so happened I needed to take advantage of a little help today. My Ascona quit running on me this morning as I traveled to Pete's event in Kenosha WI. Mr. Gene answered my call for help and put me in touch Bill Hoffmann who helped get the Opel back on the road again. Gene if I am not on the list you have my contact info so put me on it.

Something to think about is making people aware that this is available. This fall a number of folks will be on the road to Opel events. When things go wrong it's nice to have help.
    Gary, BQS4, kevinfier and 3 others like this.

3000 Post Club Site Supporter P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads

How to manage O.P.E.L.?

Opel People Emergency List is great idea. It started years ago and many people has sent their contact information and volunteered to be included in the list (including myself). I often wish I had the list when I am traveling long distances with my GT. Unfortunately, I have never seen it not I am aware that it was distributed. This thread is full of posts where people are asking about it.
    How can we organize ourselves for the list to be regularly emailed to the members of O.P.E.L. Should we ask OANA to manage it? Any suggestions?
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by P.J. Romano View Post
    Opel People Emergency List is great idea. It started years ago and many people has sent their contact information and volunteered to be included in the list (including myself). I often wish I had the list when I am traveling long distances with my GT. Unfortunately, I have never seen it not I am aware that it was distributed. This thread is full of posts where people are asking about it.
    How can we organize ourselves for the list to be regularly emailed to the members of O.P.E.L. Should we ask OANA to manage it? Any suggestions?
    PJ;
    OANA has nothing to do with the O.P.E.L it is my idea, like the Bucket/Can of Keys. It's to help the Opel Community. I have the list, right now it's in the form of a Address/Phone number book I keep at my desk. Vicky Gage and I tried to put it into a MS Word or whatever format, but, I'm not THAT computer savvy. The idea was to contact me with your route and I would provide you with names and numbers of those along your route, but, as in John's recent incident, he called me and asked who was nearby. I gave him Bill Hoffman's info. Due to the ID theft Threat, I have been keeping this list VERY close and in eyesight. I really rather not see this list just start getting displayed out in the open. I have told all who have volunteered their info, and it is just that, VOLUNTARY, that I will never give out their except to an Opeler in an emergency. Those who have volunteered their info also have the right to with draw their info, and I will remove it immediately. Another example of O.P.E.L at work is Craig Roberts of L.I., when he was moving The Targa from NY to AZ, and was in an accident, LUCKILY he was right in Keith Lundham's door step (practically)
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

3000 Post Club Site Supporter P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    O.K. Gene, thanks for the explanation and thanks for being the list keeper.
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

Real Name
    Vickie and Allen Gage
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BQS4 View Post
    PJ;
    OANA has nothing to do with the O.P.E.L it is my idea, like the Bucket/Can of Keys. It's to help the Opel Community. I have the list, right now it's in the form of a Address/Phone number book I keep at my desk. Vicky Gage and I tried to put it into a MS Word or whatever format, but, I'm not THAT computer savvy. The idea was to contact me with your route and I would provide you with names and numbers of those along your route, but, as in John's recent incident, he called me and asked who was nearby. I gave him Bill Hoffman's info. Due to the ID theft Threat, I have been keeping this list VERY close and in eyesight. I really rather not see this list just start getting displayed out in the open. I have told all who have volunteered their info, and it is just that, VOLUNTARY, that I will never give out their except to an Opeler in an emergency. Those who have volunteered their info also have the right to with draw their info, and I will remove it immediately. Another example of O.P.E.L at work is Craig Roberts of L.I., when he was moving The Targa from NY to AZ, and was in an accident, LUCKILY he was right in Keith Lundham's door step (practically)
    Gene:

If you would like to email me the old Excel file and mail me the new information, I can update the spreadsheet for you. Or you can just snail mail me a copy of everything and I can redo it.

Also.... what happens if we can't get in touch with you? Should we have "back-up" people?

Vickie

1969 Kadett LS Odette Showroom New Original
    1969 GT Omi The Grandmother
    1970 GT Octavia V8 Opel
    1971 GT Opie DESTEC car
    1971 Kadett Wagon Otis Survivor
    1972 GT Olessja Under restoration from being rear-ended
    1973 GT Olivette Awaiting Restoration
    1975 Manta yellowOmaryellow The Bumblebee
    1975 Ascona Sport Wagon: Otto Colonel Mustard
    1975 Ascona Sedan (1900) yellowOrlandoyellow
    1975 Ascona Sedan (1900) Oliver - "Olli"
    2008 SolsticeyellowOliviayellow

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by saxybiker View Post
    Gene:

If you would like to email me the old Excel file and mail me the new information, I can update the spreadsheet for you. Or you can just snail mail me a copy of everything and I can redo it.

Also.... what happens if we can't get in touch with you? Should we have "back-up" people?

Vickie
    Vickie,
    Unfortunately, I don't have the EXCEL file as it got burned up with my old computer. I just have the book right now. As for a back up "people", I still don't want this info to start getting spread about. I always have my cell phone with me, and yes, it's not 100% fool-proof, but, it is working so far.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gene
    Something to think about should you receive a call for help. Try to give a number for someone close enough to help and if they have not already determined the problem a number for someone with the knowledge to trouble shoot over the phone. One of the reasons I wanted to talk with Bill Hoffmann was I knew he had some familiarity with the 75 fuel injection system. The fact I knew he was a Pete's was also a plus.

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opeljohn View Post
    Gene
    Something to think about should you receive a call for help. Try to give a number for someone close enough to help and if they have not already determined the problem a number for someone with the knowledge to trouble shoot over the phone. One of the reasons I wanted to talk with Bill Hoffmann was I knew he had some familiarity with the 75 fuel injection system. The fact I knew he was a Pete's was also a plus.
    John;
    This has been my "modus operindi" for a while. But, since every situation is different, you have to weigh the facts, compared to where the Opeler is and who is nearby.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since we are only a few weeks away from some of our people traveling long distance to our fall meets, I thought this was a good time to bring this back to the top. If you plan to be on the road I suggest you get a contact number for Gene or at the very least someone at the event you plan to attend. I know I hope you all have a safe and enjoyable experience wherever you go this fall in your Opel.
    Ooooner and P.J. Romano like this.

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I will be going to the Nationals in Charlotte next month, I'll bring the O.P.E.L. with me
    Ooooner likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Time for a bump.
    Ooooner likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gene
    Please post if you are able to take calls this weekend. Also hope you are healing well.

Tennessean Site Supporter hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gene
    Please post if you are able to take calls this weekend.
    He received one from Quaker Steak and Lube last week when we were in Concord.

Harold

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gene
    Please post if you are able to take calls this weekend. Also hope you are healing well.
    John,
    I have been taking and making calls since before I left the hospital, so yes, I'll be around to make/take calls this weekend.
    Gene

P.S. Just as an update, I'm on the mend, feeling and doing fine.
    Gary, kevinfier, SpringGT and 1 others like this.

Downloads
    Uploads

ok

add me to the list

Downloads
    Uploads

Count me in

Great idea!

I'm in North Jersey

Let me know what info you might need

Downloads
    Uploads
    This thread has not seen the light of day for some time now and probably should. The thread of a new owner going cross country brought it to my mind.
    Ooooner likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information