so cal earth quake
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: so cal earth quake

Downloads
    Uploads

so cal earth quake

did any of you southern californians feel the earth quake today?
    1970 Opel GT 1.9
    1980 Moto Guzzi V50
    2000 Saab 9-3 2.0 turbo
    2000 KTM 200 exc STOLEN

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not here inSANe DIEGO, just another sunny and 70 degree day

Ron

Downloads
    Uploads
    we had some nice weather too, it got up to about 38 degrees around noon, I did some touch up priming today and made a paintbooth out of electrical conduit and some 3 way pipe things for the corners. plastic and conduit and connectors came to about $50
    1970 Opel GT 1.9
    1980 Moto Guzzi V50
    2000 Saab 9-3 2.0 turbo
    2000 KTM 200 exc STOLEN

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Our 6-story building swayed back and forth for about 30 seconds, and the lamps rattled here in San Francisco.

Looking at the pics of crushed cars in Paso Robles makes me question bringing the Opel into the city...with a high possibility of rubble damage in the future.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just checked the news wires and saw it was in the center part of the state, not far from the premier Hot Rod Drive in and Show at Paso Robles. Rats, I missed another unannounced "E" ticket ride. Haven't had one of them since I ended up surfing in the water bed one early morning a couple of years ago. Beings I'm a native I can joke about this. Feel bad about the deaths though. Hope all up north are o.k. I'll take these over twist-i-katers, him-a-canes and her-i-canes anytime. They don't last long and as soon as it's over you can get back to work or whatever.

Ron

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, got to say Ron, you are a true SoCal person! I lived in SD for 3 years and 4 in LA county. I never did like the e-quakes, but then, I grew up in SoJersey with just had the usual up the coast hurricanes. Didn't like those either. I think I prefer the tornadins, as 99% of the time they are only shoe strings and don't do more than tear the roofs up, which need replacing every so often anyhow. The rare F5's are worrying (I saw one about 6 years ago from 5 miles out, very ugly), but they only make a 1/2 mile or so wide path for a few miles. E-quakes can damage tens or hundreds of square miles. Just depends on a persons veiwpoint as to what they will except as dangerous, I guess.
    Just a old hippie veiw point on nature.

Downloads
    Uploads
    we never have any of that up here, just a mild microburst every few years. the opel was about the only thing untouched in the shop (3200 ftsq) it was like a wind tunnel.
    1970 Opel GT 1.9
    1980 Moto Guzzi V50
    2000 Saab 9-3 2.0 turbo
    2000 KTM 200 exc STOLEN

Downloads
    Uploads
    Old Hippie, You're right about the sense of danger/damage. If we had a 6.7 like during the baseball game in Frisco some years ago, more damage would have occured, but most of the "E" ticket rides are not that severe. Since the last two most severe quakes, in Frisco and LA, major bucks have been allocated to extensive mods to the infrastructure in CA to lessen damage caused by the quakes. That's not to say we are totally immune to the damage they can cause, but it would be less severe damage and more superficial that structual damage to facilities. That being said, what would actually happen is that the freeways would survive a major quake, but the off and on ramps would be wasted. So if you were on a freeway you couldn't get off and if you wanted to get on one you couldn't. Neat scenario. Thank God for the surface streets, the travel would be slower but at least you could get there.

Ron

Downloads
    Uploads

California Earthquakes

If you have to be in an earthquake, be in a California building. We have, by far, the best constructed seismic construction in buildings and infrastructure in the world. The 10/17/89 Loma Prieta Earthquake was a 7.1 moment magnitude. 64 people died in the San Francisco Bay Area / Santa Cruz Area. If that same earthquake were to strike any other metropolitan area outside California (with exception of Seattle and Tokyo), death tolls would be 2000 to 3000 people. This includes Portland, Salt Lake City, New Madrid, Chicgo, New York, Charleston - all having the potential for 7.1 or greater earthquakes.

That said, I personally limit my time in the office (financial district in San Francisco). I run the studies, and estimate the damage ratios and probabilities. So I work from home as much as possible. (plus I free-fell 7 1/2 stories in a high-rise elevator in that 89 earthquake.

So why all the damage in Paso Robles, 50 miles from the epicenter? Unreinforced masonry construction, outlawed since 1933.

'nough said. So what about driving your GT into SF? Park it in a modern high-rise's basement parking garage. It'll be safe & snug. But parking is $28 a day for my office.

Hey! today, saw a 63 Studebaker Hawk GT in the garage! Oh baby, Oh baby

Downloads
    Uploads
    That being said, most of the damage to the buildings in Paso Robles was to buildings that were over 100 years old. The kicker to that is the retrofit to those buildings was set back to be completed by 2018. Bean Counters at work!!!

Ron

Thread Information