Opel GT in Distress...Calling all part hoarders- Reward offered! - Page 5
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Opel GT in Distress...Calling all part hoarders- Reward offered!

Bikini Inspector Frozen Tundra GT's Avatar
    Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Haha. Just realized this thread has come full circle. I started this thread long tine ago for a pulley. Need to treat my crank better it looks.

Brad, I refuse to take any more parts from you, besides there are tons of other members who should step up. Brads my only friend. Boohoo

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra GT View Post
    Haha. Just realized this thread has come full circle. I started this thread long tine ago for a pulley. Need to treat my crank better it looks.

Brad, I refuse to take any more parts from you, besides there are tons of other members who should step up. Brads my only friend. Boohoo
    Don't forget about your buddy "Toddy".
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sure you have a pulley! Thanks man!

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sure you have a pulley! Thanks man!
    I'm not Toddy.

Real Name
    Eric
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am out in New Jersey for work this week, so u can't check right now, but I might have a pulley. But to be honest I don't know if I do or not. If I do, it's all yours bro. If not, I hope someone on here will step up. After you helped facilitate someone to help me out with a distributor, I will do my best to return the favor.

Best of luck in finding one and like I said, if I have one it's all yours!

Ferrell

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    I'm not Toddy.
    No shiz, you will never be a toddy. Tall, dark and HAPPY to help.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ~OFF TOPIC~

You know, that's one thing that always irked me. Why has nobody ever put out a front pulley upgrade? The stock pulley is such a weak piece of junk that it's sad.
    Every Opel engine I've ever owned had a wobbly pulley. I used to hink I needed a new, straight, one but found a long time ago that they can just, EASILY, be bent back straight.

I wish there was an alternative.
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 04-24-2014 at 07:43 AM.

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine is bent beyond repairable, thanks for the thinly veiled attempt of helping. Leroy

Real Name
    Brad
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What kind of serpentine pulley system is P.J. running. ????

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cog belt?
    Last edited by Frozen Tundra GT; 04-24-2014 at 12:06 AM.

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    ~OFF TOPIC~

You know, that's one thing that always irked me. Why has nobody ever put out a front pulley upgrade? The stock pulley is such a weak piece of junk that it's sad.
    Every Opel engine I've ever owned had a wobbly pulley. I used tot hink I needed a new, straight, one but found a long time ago that they can just, EASILY, be bent back straight.

I wish there was an alternative.

There is at least one pulley upgrade out there and probably others. In Europe, of course. PJRomano has TOOTHED pulleys on his GT. They use a toothed belt. You don't have to use the alt to tension the belt really at all. The teeth flat out will not let the belt slip. They're really expensive and require supplemental machining to work on a GT.

25-30 years ago, RallyBob used to sell undersized billet aluminum crankshaft pulleys. This post from PJ's "2.5 Street Motor" thread talks about it:

Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post

Years ago, RallyBob was selling smaller diameter crankshaft pulleys that slowed down the rpm's of the water pump. He said at the time that the stock Opel water pumps pushed the water through the engine too fast and didn't give the coolant enough time to soak up heat inside the engine. Much like the bow or pressure wave in the front of a plane, car, or water craft, air and water encountering an obstruction or flowing over a surface at high speeds will create a static barrier of air/water that doesn't move with the flow of the moving air/water. In the Opel engine's regard, that thin static barrier of coolant is where all the heat is that you want the coolant from the radiator to remove from the engine. My Ole Yeller car, that lasted for several 100K miles, had that smaller pulley and it made a noticable reduction in thermostat temperature. About 10-20 degrees of temperature reduction.

3000 Post Club Site Supporter P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by poor gt View Post
    What kind of serpentine pulley system is P.J. running. ????
    It is similar to this one.
    Kadett;Ascona;Manta A/B; CIH 1,6-3,6 Zahnriemenantrieb,Lichtmaschinenantrieb, | eBay
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Deleted ~ Ooopps! I meant to send a PM to PJ and made a post instead!
    Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 04-24-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This thread has gone slightly off topic.

The question is, Do you still need one? I will check my inventory and get back tomorrow.

BTW, I use the cast iron double groove pulley from a Manta which had A/C on my GT. Straight and it is tough as nails. That is my alternative method.
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I will GIVE you the 2.4 crankshaft pulley that came with my OGTS 2.4 engine. It’s two-piece solid steel, is all cleaned up and primed ready to be painted the copper color you painted your pulleys, and has the timing cog in case you want to go with Fuel Injection as a later mod. It’s 5 pound weight should also smooth out your 2.0 with combo cam’s running at idle.

No charge. Just send me some really, really, good sharp cheddar cheese. Free pack of smokes!

3000 Post Club Site Supporter P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with Jeff, the subject of pulleys should go to this thread: https://www.opelgt.com/forums/general...nk-pulley.html
    Gordon, I will post my answer there.
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I yanked on my crank too hard and bent my pulley.

jk

I wasn't thinking and lowered my motor to ground right on pulley and bent it. doooh!

please help

Also is grinding the getrag bellhousing absolutely necessary with s-10 clutch? seems like no rub?? Ill go pull on the clutch arm and try again
    Grinding was not necessary on mine either.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Wilwood Brks,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35i BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335ix '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am running a serpentine belt system, but others have made front pulleys out of aluminum...one note is you will want to use a Redi-sleeve if going with aluminum. I have about 3-4 different cast pulleys, and those are heavy, but always straight. I have several steel ones.
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    I will GIVE you the 2.4 crankshaft pulley that came with my OGTS 2.4 engine. It’s two-piece solid steel, is all cleaned up and primed ready to be painted the copper color you painted your pulleys, and has the timing cog in case you want to go with Fuel Injection as a later mod. It’s 5 pound weight should also smooth out your 2.0 with combo cam’s running at idle.

No charge. Just send me some really, really, good sharp cheddar cheese. Free pack of smokes!

sounds like a deal to me. I was going to PM Jeff- (Thanks Jeff for the offer!!!) but i like the idea of heavier duty pulley, since I cant keep em straight haha. Unless someone has a Manta one for me.

Is gordons analogy correct about smoothin it out? My flywheel was ground down enough to get below the circle on it, there was no step. heavier pulley does kind of the opposite of a lightened flywheel correct? I really do not want a revvy difficult to drive rally car

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Whether the 2.2/2.4 crank shaft pulley will or won't smooth out your idle is conjecture on my part. Apparently Opel decided it had no effect, since they use them on their normal/high speed 2.2 engines and their high low end torque low speed/normal 2.4 truck and large car engines. Normally, added weight to a rotating object helps it resist minor resistances and irregularities, like all the kicking and jumping that takes place on a cammed engine at low rpm idle.

As far as affecting your acceleration, the smaller the diameter of a rotating object, the easier it is for it to get up to speed and the less important it's weight is. I know this from bicycle racing: You want the tires, rims, and spokes of a wheel to be as light as possible, but the weight of the hub is inconsequential. The effective weight at the perimeter of a rotating object goes up dramatically as the diameter increases. And the speed at the outer perimeter goes up by a factor of 3.14(sound familiar?) as the diameter increases to maintain the same rpm. A 10" diameter bicycle wheel that has one pound of tire and rim requires less energy to get up to, say 100rpm, than a 27" diameter wheel with an identically weighted one pound tire and rim combo. It's all about leverage.
    Your aluminum flywheel is at least 3-4 times larger than the pulley I'm sending you. Having that larger diameter flywheel made largely out of aluminum is why there is an acceleration benefit to having them.
    Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 04-24-2014 at 07:31 PM.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information