My Real GT - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: My Real GT

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads

New custom carpet is in and progress

So while progress up to this point has been slow we are inching towards the point where all these wonderful parts we have accumulated will all of a sudden be thrown onto the car. Body work has progressed and she is 95% ready to be painted. A few minor things left to go there. The new custom carpet kit came in and it is absolutlely gorgeous. The quality of it with the really nice stitching is impressive. Keith did a fantastic job on this . If you look closely, you will see what I mean.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Finally I have some update pics to show. I went up to see James & Tom (Opel Junky) and my car which is still curing after coming out of the paint shop. She looks amazing and here are the pics for y'all to enjoy.
    The Scifi Guy and pherrley like this.

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Fresh paint is so pretty on the GT. Is that a factory Rallye Red color?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous D View Post
    Fresh paint is so pretty on the GT. Is that a factory Rallye Red color?
    Thanks Anonymous D, I'm loving the fresh paint too and no, its a custom color, a darker red than the "Rallye Red" and the first pic gives the best representation of what it looks like to the naked eye.

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Stupid cars.

Nobody is going to comment on the New Cat?
    I'm just another Opel Rehab Failure.

Real Name
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice kitty

like cats that eat the whole mouse an dont bring me any parts of them

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like you are just as bad as the damn cats...look at you leaning and rubbing your butt on the fresh paint job...might as well take a key and run it across the body and get it over with.
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is that a BMW red?

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    Looks like you are just as bad as the damn cats...look at you leaning and rubbing your butt on the fresh paint job...might as well take a key and run it across the body and get it over with.
    Relax man, its not that fresh. It is new but has had time to harden and cure so James' butt only polished it a little, lol.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous D View Post
    Is that a BMW red?
    Asked & answered dude. See above.

Bikini Inspector Frozen Tundra GT's Avatar
    Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    well if lamborghini and ferrari and maserati claim to be hand built by italians etc, can we say yours is butt polished by a wisconsinite?

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra GT View Post
    well if lamborghini and ferrari and maserati claim to be hand built by italians etc, can we say yours is butt polished by a wisconsinite?
    Yep, James the butt polisher strikes again.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads

Minor Update

Today I went up to see Tom and get some work done. And we sure did. We got the rear part of the wiring harness in and the bumpers installed too. We also got the head on the engine and the drums and rotors off and ready to be turned, wheel bearings ready to be repacked and all the metal brake lines in. Tom is gonna do the brakes in between now and my next visit up to the sprawling metropolis of Newark, Tx. Lemme tell ya, those rear bumpers were a major pain in the butt. It took us awhile too. Oh and we got the tow hook on the front installed too. Next visit, we should get the engine and drive train installed. Heres a few pics for y'all to enjoy.

No....its not a Buick.... yellaopelgt's Avatar
    Real Name
    Joe
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just a question, is it cost effective now a days to get drums and rotors turned? Anytime in the past I've compared pricing between turning and replacing, brand new is just a few dollars more. At least from my experience.
    What ...we got here...is........failure......................... to communicate....
    Some men,you just cant reach...so you get what we had here last week...which is the way he wants it.
    Well, he gets it...I dont like it, any more than you men...

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by yellaopelgt View Post
    Just a question, is it cost effective now a days to get drums and rotors turned? Anytime in the past I've compared pricing between turning and replacing, brand new is just a few dollars more. At least from my experience.
    Thats a good point. I would like to replace them with new but new rotors ($51) & drums ($88) plus s&h will run me close to $300 bucks. I think I can get all 4 turned for right around $30 each. Time is a problem for me as I'm a truck driver and not at home every night or I would've taken them to the Ft. Hood Army Craftshop and turned them myself for like 3 bucks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by yellaopelgt View Post
    Here
    s a good way to look at rotors and drums.

Buying brakes is a lot like buying oats. If you want the premium oats that have been inspected to be the best, then you should be willing to pay a premium price.
    If, however, you want oats that have already been through a horse, then that comes cheaper.

The factory brakes on an Opel are made from good quality steel. The stuff you get now, especially if made in China, may not be good steel.

No, people, steel isn't steel. There are a lot of variants.

Someone I know did a test a few years ago. It was a weird punch test. They took new and old rotors from a 68 impala and used a spring loaded center punch to pop a few dents in the rotors (outside the braking surface) and then looked at the "dent" under a 50X magnifier. The difference was interesting. The newer rotor was dented deeper which indicated that it was a much softer steel. This means that the newer rotor was, supposedly, more prone to warpage and wear.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads

Update on Penelope

So finally progress is being made again. I'm on vacation and so is Tom and we are working diligently on the car. In addition to a lot of little things yesterday we got the entire drive train installed. Engine, transmission and driveshaft are all in. We also go the intake manifold and header installed. This was quite a job but big step forward.
    poor gt (R.I.P) likes this.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So today even more was done. Thermostat housing & radiator installed with hoses & fan, interior insulation finished. Headliner started, brake booster and channel installed, along with the pedals, including hooking up the clutch cable. Parking brake was completed too. So as you can see we have been busy like beavers over here. Much will be done tomorrow and I'm sure I forgot to list a few things here as well. Having a blast seeing her finally coming together and actively being a part of making it happen.
    Frozen Tundra GT and Knorm65 like this.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Making lots of progress every day. As of today we got the dashboard and instrument panel installed. The ignition system is done and ready to go but we still need a different connector for the high output alternator, we'll get one tomorrow. We also got the front & rear glass done today, along with some of the interior, the spare tire board and rear deck riveted in. The gas tank was finished today too. A/C hoses installed for the A/C thats coming later. Passenger side carpet laid down too. And probably some other stuff I forgot to mention. Amazing what 2 people can do in a few days.
    SpringGT likes this.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another Update

So Thursday comes to an end and we've done a whole lot more on my car. A laundry list of stuff and pics too. Installed carb & linkage, heater hoses, vacuum lines, custom alternator bracket, visors, dome light, finished carpet, back deck panel and spare tire flap. We also did the quarter windows, a/c housing, carpeted the rear deck board, hung and adjusted the doors, installed the passenger seat, painted the grill and polished the valve cover. It was another very busy day with lots of progress.
    Last edited by pumpkindriver; 03-27-2015 at 09:03 AM.
    guyopel likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information