My Real GT - Page 4
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: My Real GT

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkindriver View Post
    Not to mention the huge amount of Opel GT parts we hauled down there as well. And we still don't have all of them moved yet. We still have a ton of stuff to go thru and organize and get ready to be sold. Probably another truck and trailer load ((Ford Ranger and small U-Haul)) to bring down from Dallas to Killeen. Plus it all still has to be gone thru. But we're working on it. .
    Part of the problem is... I know what we had for parts, when (he who shall remain nameless) and I were still partners.

Then, and I won't bring this up again, He threw away a ten year friendship, and a heck of an Opel business, over a woman. It did not last six months, I told him so, and it makes me sad, to think about all the good broships I have lost over a (no darn good) woman.

The other part is, when all this stuff was put in the storage space, it was boxed randomly, and just hauled in there. So there is no rhyme, or reason to what is in all the boxes, and one third of the stuff is gone. The problem is I have to go through everything to figure out, what we have, and don't have.

We have a lot of good stuff, but I am not exactly sure, what all we have. For instance there was 12 short blocks, now there is only one. But we have 8 cylinder heads, and 6 crankshafts, and a bunch of connecting rods.

Then there is the logistics of it all. From my apartment in Dallas, to Fort Worth where the parts are is a one hour drive. From there to the new storage space in Fort Hood, is another two plus hour drive.

Now Mark can Drive, he is a Pro, seriously, anybody who has driven a million miles in an 18 wheeler better be. But when we load the Ford Ranger, and the Uhaul trailer, it's not so much, what we have space for, it's about the weight too. Oh the truck can pull it, but you still have to slow down, and turn corners, and when we get off the Interstate and the trailer wiggles taking the off ramp, then you know, you're pushing the limits.

Speaking of limits, neither of us are young men, and three hours of loading stuff, in the Texas Heat, is rather taxing. When Mark says a Ton, that is not just a figure of speech. Between the two of us, and all the stuff we have to haul out of the storage space, and then put back in, after we load the stuff we are taking this time, we have probably lifted and carried more than two thousand pounds.

Not saying we sweat much, but we show up with 64 ounce Big Gulps with ice and Dr Pepper from 7-11, a couple of Gatorades, and some bottled water for the task of loading. Then we stop at the first place we can find on the drive back, to get another 64 ounce drink with ice for the trip back. An hour later, which is five hours total, we stop again, because that's the first time we need to pee, and it ain't much, maybe a cup. The rest got sweated out. Texas Heat will do that to you.

We are cleaning out the Agean Stables here folks. It's a huge task, believe me. Then we get to the new storage space and we have to unload. From there it's a few beers, a night in a cheap motel, and waking to have coffee and Alieve for breakfast. Followed by opening boxes, sorting parts, and another fun drive back to Dallas. We take turns at the gas stations paying for it all, and my Paypal card is about wore out.

In the end, I hope it's all worth it. The hardest part is deciding what to keep, because once it's gone, it's gone.Mark wants to see two Gt's in his driveway, I want to set up my vid cams on tripods, and make a you tube of two Red Gt's doing a burn out, side by side. Stay tuned for that.

Note: Sorry Mark, I did not mean to hijack your thread.
    I'm just another Opel Rehab Failure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a small update tonight. I just got home and unwrapped my freshly rebuilt steering column. I'm very impressed and it looks great. Gil did a bang up job on it for me. I can't reiterate enough how much OGTS has helped me thru this whole process. We are so lucky to have them and the other guys out there too, helping us with parts and service for our little jewels. This may not cure all my electrical woes but one thing is for sure, when I turn on the blinkers now, the horn won't blow too.

Rebuilt Steering Column.jpg
    Colorado Kidd likes this.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Aluminum Radiator!

I did some work to Penelope last night and installed the new aluminum radiator I got from OGTS. It was fairly simple to get it in and hooked up, along with the fan shroud, which I did cut in half and zip tied together. Here is a recent pic of her and a video too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igfP5gVIFqQ
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MikeNotigan likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads

Penelope & The Hillbilly Dash Cam.

I finally have my brakes working, not great as they need to be bled again but they do work. It was missing the little copper compression washers on the banjo bolts. So today, I taped my palm cam to the dashboard and took her out for a little spin. I hope you enjoy the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxHO7Tsd6Dc&t=15s
    SpringGT and John B like this.

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The engine sounds good!

Looks like you've almost got that baby all done.

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, I looked at your previous video! GREAT interior! Awesome seats! Nice paint color! Nice tidy work!

What a shame you haven't gotten all your gauges working yet! Those colored connectors at the fuse box are often the problem. Or maybe you've lost a ground behind the dash.

Nice job!

Dang, that daily driver you had parked behind it is BIG!

pumpkindriver likes this.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads

Electrical issues

I am having electrical issues with Penelope and so delved into them, and disassembled my fuse box. I soaked the fuse holder piece overnight in coca-cola. It was all dingy and corroded and the acid in the coke did a great job so now I am ready to put that all back together and hopefully there is improvement.
    ubernoob51 likes this.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I recently got my radio back from Joe's Classic Car Radio Co. Joe's Classic Car Radio- Home and it looks almost like a brand new radio. It now has AM/FM/Aux. I plan on installing it very soon. Once I get the rest of my electric figured out and I am ready to reinstall my dashboard. Before and after pics are shown.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So today I installed the cheap little clock I bought. I just didn't have the funds to have the real one restored and put in and plus both of the plastic pins on the back of the dash that are used to secure it are broken. And although I tried hard to find some glue that would actually melt and weld the plastic together I found none. And yes I looked all over the web. So I bought this inexpensive little plastic clock and glued it in place and while it doesn't look as good as the original would have, it plugs up the hole and it actually works. And it is so lightweight that glue will hold it in place nicely. I included a link in case someone else needs one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Luch-Quartz...item284c1e1509
    kwschumm likes this.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads

TalkingI gave up.................sort of

At least as far as me getting my GT finished and on the road. I called a professional to do what I couldn't do. So Keith, from New Vintage Auto was coming to Texas to drop off a GT and a rear end and he was kind enough to swing by my house and pick up mine (Penelope). She is now on her way to Cookeville, Tennessee. to have her electrical issues fixed, a 5 speed and A/C installed. Along with a host of other minor stuff as well. I am looking forward to flying up there in late spring and being able to drive her home.

Bikini Inspector Frozen Tundra GT's Avatar
    Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    looks like you got a real good start on her and Keith will be putting the cherry on top. attaboy!
    Knorm65 likes this.

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One step forward, three back. So I have been looking at Penelope for a bit now, and seen some shabby stuff. Now, we are not restoring the car, but it needs to be mechanically sound, and the engine has oil all over it, it was never painted, so that makes sourcing the leaks a little challenging too. I saw some old stuff that will be replaced, such as brake lines and hack job stuff, typical things we seem to find. So with the 5 speed install, I felt it was easier to pull the engine and front suspension, being we needed to repair the hood hinge. It had some angle iron support and was way off, so we accessed that area and properly welded in metal to fix that. Most of the harness for the wiring has been made, will need one more part and I'll be getting that together as well. Decided to paint the engine bay to freshen everything up, will do our best on the belly pan area, but it really needs to be replaced. Not part of the job description for this part...so onward we go to at least make it where Mark can have that stuff redone at a later date, but it still look good. We decided to pull the head and check it out, looks like the wrong gasket might have been used, this has the later style timing cover with the bosses undrilled up front, so I used a 73 12 bolt style, that has the cork to fill the void.
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm speechless, wow. I had no idea it was going to be as in depth as this has been. I'm glad to have the pictures to go along with all the info Keith has been providing me. I can't wait for Penelope to finally be finished and driveable.
    Knorm65 likes this.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads

A minor update

Keith painted my engine and my engine bay today. He used a dark red candy color after building a makeshift paint tent over it. Tomorrow he will clear coat it. Here are 4 pics for your viewing enjoyment.
    guyopel, kwschumm and MikeNotigan like this.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads

A little more to show y'all

Today Keith clear coated the engine bay and its all shiny now. Also he is fitting the A/C and alternator components for the installation video that will come in all future air conditioning kits newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Today Keith clear coated the engine bay and its all shiny now. Also he is fitting the A/C and alternator components for the installation video that will come in all future air conditioning kits newvintageauto.com
    Nice......you need a chrome alternator
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Wilwood Brks,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35i BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335ix '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It’s actually getting the CS alternator, that was just a stock one for the purposes of the video.
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads

Timing chain replacement

Today Keith replaced my worn timing chain. He actually shot a video of how to do this with the engine assembled and you could actually do it with the engine in the car. The link is below for your viewing pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqfn...KhcftqH00r5i-Y

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great video! I’ll definitely give that way a try next time I have the valve cover off on my orange GT.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Today Keith replaced my worn timing chain. He actually shot a video of how to do this with the engine assembled and you could actually do it with the engine in the car. The link is below for your viewing pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqfn...KhcftqH00r5i-Y
    That is a very helpful video on how to change a timing chain (even one without a removable link, using a small chisel to break the old chain) with one that has the removable link, without any engine disassembly. I especially liked that when the old chain skipped a tooth on the way out, Keith showed how to get it back in time (although the video didn't show the cam timing position up close).

A VERY useful tidbit provided was that the removable link has a thin and a thick bar, and the thick bar should be placed in the middle of the chain, and the thin on the outside, and which direction to place the link clip (open end facing away from the direction of rotation, facing outwards.

I just measured my removable link, and the thick bar is 0.061", while the thin link is 0.053". A bit hard to see the difference by simple inspection, but easy with a caliper.
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT; next up is my 28,000 mile Garage Find GT, stored since 1975, which needs a LOT of love...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information