My Real GT - Page 6
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks: †0
Likes Likes: †0
Dislikes Dislikes: †0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: My Real GT

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Real GT

Iím so glad this GT is up and running for you! It looks so great too. Congratulations on completing the journey and enjoy!!!
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Today I scrounged up 2 decent window chrome strips for the rear quarter windows and installed them. Unfortunately I couldn't find the corner pieces for them. I know I had a couple but oh well, I guess I'll be calling OGTS tomorrow and see if they can send me 4 of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads

Penelope in action.

I stopped off in Ft. Worth, on my way home from Tn., to show my friend Robert the car, as he also has an Opel GT in progress and he shot these 2 clips of me giving his wife a ride in her, I hope you enjoy them.

kwschumm likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    kwschumm likes this.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Knorm65 View Post
    Iím so glad this GT is up and running for you! It looks so great too. Congratulations on completing the journey and enjoy!!!
    Thx Knorm, it has been quite the journey. I an really thrilled to finally have her up and running and enjoying driving her every chance I get. It would be great if all of us Texas and Oklahoma Opel owners could get together sometime this summer for a nice Opel afternoon.
    Knorm65 likes this.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I took the GT out last Sunday and drove up to Ft. Worth (approx.150 miles) to hang out with Robert and James. It was a pleasant afternoon and we grilled out some burgers and just had a nice time. I shot a couple of short videos up there as well.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is the other video, since I can only do one at a time.

SpringGT and MikeNotigan like this.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Penelope is down for now. I had noticed that the belt was squealing and since the A/C wasn't on, I was curious as to why. As it turned out, the alternator bracket had snapped off both ends. So only the top arm was all that was really holding it in place. I tried to have it welded as a quick fix but the guy welded it crooked and so it won't work. I ordered what looks to be a better quality one from Speedway motors. I sure hope it works and I can get Penelope back on the road next time I am home. And I am going to have it reinforced as well, so hopefully it holds up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pumpkindriver; 07-22-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I went up to visit Robert Baker today. I had repaired Penelope on Saturday so she was ready for a little road trip today. My A/C was struggling but kept it reasonably cool as the thermometer soared. I got there ok and we just hung out and talked GTs and stuff. He did have a bunch of ribs in the smoker for later though. The ribs were absolutely delicious, tender and juicy and very tasty.

I managed to use his shade trees to do one minor thing to Penelope, I cut a 9&1/2 strip of closed cell neoprene foam rubber from the roll of 60"X15"X 0.5" I ordered.

I sprayed adhesive all over the back of vertical wall in the back of the spare tire compartment, along the sides and of course on the foam rubber itself. It completely sealed off the back end of the car and made it significantly quieter. I might add more across the flat space of that area later on.

My big noise & heat problem now is through the transmission tunnel and floorboards. I am going to have to pull up the carpet and add more insulation. Then if I can get my driver's side window to completely seal, I might have a car that's as cool to be inside of as it is to drive.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkindriver View Post
    Penelope is down for now. I had noticed that the belt was squealing and since the A/C wasn't on, I was curious as to why. As it turned out, the alternator bracket had snapped off both ends. So only the top arm was all that was really holding it in place. I tried to have it welded as a quick fix but the guy welded it crooked and so it won't work. I ordered what looks to be a better quality one from Speedway motors. I sure hope it works and I can get Penelope back on the road next time I am home. And I am going to have it reinforced as well, so hopefully it holds up.
    The new one will break also. You have to add weld to the inner corners where the sharp bends are and form a better radius. The other thing to watch is how the two pieces are welded together. I believe it was Opellane's bracket that split into two pieces because the tack welds broke that held the two pieces together.
    soybean and pumpkindriver like this.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Wilwood Brks,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35i BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335ix '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldGT View Post
    The new one will break also. You have to add weld to the inner corners where the sharp bends are and form a better radius. The other thing to watch is how the two pieces are welded together. I believe it was Opellane's bracket that split into two pieces because the tack welds broke that held the two pieces together.
    That would be true if I had bought the same bracket, but I the one I got was much more heavy duty, its thicker with welds in the bends already for additional strength. The steel is also of higher and better quality so I fully expect this bracket to last.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkindriver View Post
    That would be true if I had bought the same bracket, but I the one I got was much more heavy duty, its thicker with welds in the bends already for additional strength. The steel is also of higher and better quality so I fully expect this bracket to last.
    I had the heavier one also. Keep an eye on it..........it will break.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Wilwood Brks,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35i BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335ix '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456