My Real GT
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: My Real GT

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Real GT

Today I went to visit with James a.k.a. lowkey and Tom, who are working hard to put together my GT. I realize shes not much to look at so far, but progress has been made, bodywork is happening, parts are being cleaned, refurbished and displayed. Orion is on guard and making sure no squirrels sneak in and leave their nuts laying around. I have pics of the body, the seats, headliner and other things too. Its a slow process and in todays world of instant gratification, almost maddening. But I'm a patient guy and I understand why its going so slowly but things are picking up. We are all hoping to have her done by August.

p.s. she'll never really be done, but running, driving and looking good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey it was a great day today, Mark dropped by, with beer, and acted like a kid on Christmas opening his presents.

We looked at everything going on, discussed this, and that. As in paint this black, and leave that red.

Orion even shared fur with Mark's pants legs, he does that.

Oh you guys can laugh, but without the fearsome guard cat on duty, well... You see what can happen.

Anyway, it was a nice day, a good time, and with any luck...

We'll see ya'll at Charlotte.
    I'm just another Opel Rehab Failure.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkindriver View Post
    Today I went to visit with James a.k.a. lowkey and Tom, who are working hard to put together my GT. I realize shes not much to look at so far, but progress has been made, bodywork is happening, parts are being cleaned, refurbished and displayed. Orion is on guard and making sure no squirrels sneak in and leave their nuts laying around. I have pics of the body, the seats, headliner and other things too. Its a slow process and in todays world of instant gratification, almost maddening. But I'm a patient guy and I understand why its going so slowly but things are picking up. We are all hoping to have her done by August.

p.s. she'll never really be done, but running, driving and looking good.
    Mark, thanks for posting your pictures. I had forgotten how much progress I've made until I saw your pictures. I get a little disgusted sometimes because after nine years, I should be driving the GT, not working on it. Just a little more to do and she will be ready for the road. With the pictures you took, I can see that I have made a lot of progress and I am near the end of a very long project. Save your pictures, you can look back and see how far your project has come, believe me, it helps, especially when you think you are getting no where.

Bob
    pumpkindriver likes this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow! Your seats are neato cool!

Where did they come from?

pumpkindriver likes this.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tealcarver View Post
    Mark, thanks for posting your pictures. I had forgotten how much progress I've made until I saw your pictures. I get a little disgusted sometimes because after nine years, I should be driving the GT, not working on it. Just a little more to do and she will be ready for the road. With the pictures you took, I can see that I have made a lot of progress and I am near the end of a very long project. Save your pictures, you can look back and see how far your project has come, believe me, it helps, especially when you think you are getting no where.

Bob
    Bob, thx for replying, seeing the little bit of progress I have made and looking thru my pics is already a big help. Thanks to modern technology not only can I take a whole lot of pics but I can see & share them almost instantly. 9 years huh? Whew, thats quite a long time, and about how much time it would me doing mine. I drive big rigs, out 18 days, home for 3. James & Tom are hooking me up by doing the work for me. I just don't have the time.
    Last edited by pumpkindriver; 06-03-2014 at 11:45 PM.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    Wow! Your seats are neato cool!

Where did they come from?

I was shown these seats the 1st time I met James & Tom. James/lowkey is the guy that fixes GTs and puts them together, Tom is the guy that hoarded all the "purrrrfect parts". So anyways after leaving there, I was out on the road in the big rig and I was like "damn I gotta have those seats". So I called them up, begged them to hang on to them for me until I could get back up there again. They did and I bought them. The seats were so good they made me change from wanting a yellow or chartruese paint job to a red one. So now I'm gonna have a red GT with a red & white interior and those gorgeous seats. Where Tom acquired them, I dunno, but they were one of those one of kind of things, that when you see it, you better jump on it b/c you'll never find something like that again.
    Last edited by pumpkindriver; 06-03-2014 at 04:33 PM.
    The Scifi Guy and GTeglman like this.

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    they were one of those one of kind of things, that when you see it, you better jump on it b/c you'll never find something like that again.
    Yup, you can say that again!

Sounds like your car is gonna be great or, at least, you're off to a great start!

Bikini Inspector Frozen Tundra GT's Avatar
    Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    your new nickname is Mark the Barber

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra GT View Post
    your new nickname is Mark the Barber
    OMG, I laughed so hard I lost a mouthful of beer.

Mark is retired Army, and like most of us, when he left the Service he forgot what a barbershop was for.

He has long wavy blond hair past his shoulders that a Dallas Stripper would kill to have LOL.

Bikini Inspector Frozen Tundra GT's Avatar
    Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    like this?

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra GT View Post
    like this?
    Oh no, think David Lee Roth.

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lowkey has probably been cussing me, but I will have the carpet done shortly. With Carlisle and a funeral I attended, it has been longer lead time than expected, but carpet is ready to serge the edges
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
    Oh no, think David Lee Roth.
    Definitely more along these lines, I got quite a laugh out of all this too.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    Lowkey has probably been cussing me, but I will have the carpet done shortly. With Carlisle and a funeral I attended, it has been longer lead time than expected, but carpet is ready to serge the edges
    Those carpet pieces look great and I'm really glad that you posted the pics of them. As the odds and ends come together for my car, my excitement builds as I see each one. Thanks for doing such a good job on them.

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    Oh there's been cussing but not at you Keith, heck I'm just happy that you could make us a red carpet kit. In fact I'm grateful that you found time to make us all those keys before Carlisle.

Note: Thanks to which we Opel Junky)now can offer refurbished Steering Columns with keys, and matching door handle sets with keys.

No, the cussing has been at the guy doing the bodywork, who is Royally P*ssing Me Off! And the Furshlinger front end(s), that are rusted together and defying my efforts to come up with enough parts to assemble one complete set of front end parts.

Tom has a lot of parts, but C' Mon, I have to take apart Three Front Ends, to get One Set of Good Parts? WTH Oh well, I guess we are having a sale on A Arms and springs.

This is getting long so I'll do my bodyman rant on the next post.

Back to the car, when I get the carpet kit, it will get put next to the headliner, next to the new shocks, next to all the freshly painted, rebuilt stuff that makes a GT, and all the new rubber parts that seal it up, and the big roll of DYNO MAT!

So I am in no rush for the carpet kit. I won't need that until I get this thing painted. BTW, don't worry, the money is there, I can accept delivery of the carpet kit whenever you get it done, but there's no rush.

It was 95 today, I want the body painted so I can assemble this before it's 103 out there. Not so much for me, but the cat you understand, he doesn't like working in the heat.

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Rear end, painted.

Front end painted, waiting to assemble.

Body man, ah, he's getting fired tomorrow.

He insists it's kool to use Home, expanding foam to do bodywork.

That's what his teacher told him.

Pumpkin Drivers project has two small rust spots.

At the lower edge of the front fenders right in front of the doors.

Foam that, the car doesn't drain, and the body is condemned to a slow death.

Too bad his Teacher never taught him the Customer is always right.

Those that can do, those that can't get a job teaching at a community college.

Damn shame, the kid has talent, but Stupid is as Stupid does, and we don't have time for Stupid.

Some people the only way they learn is to get fired.

Which sucks, but, I'd rather fire the kid, than do a bad job for my customer, and F up a good GT body.

p.s. look at the post time, yes I am losing sleep over this decision.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rear end, painted.

Damn shame, the kid has talent, but Stupid is as Stupid does, and we don't have time for Stupid.

Which sucks, but, I'd rather fire the kid, than do a bad job for my customer, and F up a good GT body.

Nobody likes to deal with a stubborn supplier. Employees, and handymen and mechanics, are "labor" suppliers.

Make the kid aware of this. Let him know that his talent isn't in question. His stubborness is.

And, remember, some people can learn something only once. If they learn it the wrong way the first time then there's nothing you can ever do to teach them the correct knowledge.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Rear end, painted.

Thank goodness I have a smart, knowledgeable GT guy doing this project for me. I really appreciate the fact that hes involved in every little detail of this and watching out for my best interests. Only a GT guy would know not to use "Home" in this application. Its a shame the kid is being so stubborn because he is a hard worker and does a good job. Apparently he just doesn't understand that the customer runs the show, not the teacher. Maybe someday the light will come on for him.

p.s. Thx for the update James

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank goodness I have a smart, knowledgeable GT guy doing this project for me. I really appreciate the fact that hes involved in every little detail of this and watching out for my best interests. Only a GT guy would know not to use "Home" in this application. Its a shame the kid is being so stubborn because he is a hard worker and does a good job. Apparently he just doesn't understand that the customer runs the show, not the teacher. Maybe someday the light will come on for him.

p.s. Thx for the update James
    Hey Mark, and everybody else reading this.

You started this thread, so this is your restoration thread

DEAL WITH IT!

This forum has all kinds of technical threads, this ain't gonna be one of them.

It's gonna have cat pictures, it's gonna talk about how I am a Curmedgeon, and the only reason I am doing a Restoration for Mark, is that "He is Worthy."

Thank you for your Service.

Kiss My A**, (Sorry Gary)

I was a Marine, I made SGT, but I did not put up with twenty years of that crap.

Mark did, he got out alive and he he still has a sense of humor, he shows up here with beer for me, and he pets my cat. He laughs at my jokes, he likes Tom, ( who is not easily likeable, and...

He has a serious Opel Addiction.

The first time he came here, he walked around going, OMG, you have "One of Those?"

Then he saw those seats.

He left, he started thinking, and I did too.

Real Name
    Doug
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm Here!

I got myself signed up here so I could look at the pictures and follow the restoration of pumpkindriver's GT. I'm his oldest brother and I well remember the two he had when we both were much younger people.

I'm not a former military person as some of you on this thread are, but I almost got drafted into Vietnam in 1968. Luckily, the closest I got to military service was being a Staff Sergeant in the ROTC at Ole Miss. Back then, two years of ROTC was mandated.

Mark and I are planning on invading College Station, TX in October for the Ole Miss vs. Texas A&M game. No prisoners will be taken.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information