OMC Blitz Thread - Page 4
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: OMC Blitz Thread

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks all.

If you join using this link, both the treasurer (Dick Counsil) and I will get the message right away.

Join: Join OMC

If I get your join info right after an issue comes out I immediately send that person a copy along with an email that contains links to the current and previous couple of issues.

Likewise for this link, when changing your contact info:

Update: OMC Membership Info Update

Use that one and we can make sure our mailing lists are updated before the next issue comes out.

There is a "join" page on the original OMC web site, here:

OMC Join: Join OMC

There is another page on that site somewhere where you can enter your info etc. I can't find it now, and I don't know how it works.

Oh, and now that you are on board or renewed, don't forget that your stories and photos are what makes this publication work. I do threaten to inflict the pain of endless Tinyvette stories on you, because Tinyvette racing is what I do, unless stories come in. So don't be shy, and it's easier than you'd think to get a story in. I think somewhere above I attached a PDF file that describes the many options. Roger's stories were sent in handwritten and I scanned his photos, and we made that work. This time he called the story in, I recorded it, and you'll see that story in the next issue. I can scan most anything, including 35 mm film and negatives, and I can handle most document files.

Mike
    RallyBob likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler Site Supporter wayne70gt's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Flloyd View Post
    just submitted my contact info cant wait to receive my first issue. would also be interested in back issues if available.
    Me to, finally pulled the trigger!

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne70gt View Post
    Me to, finally pulled the trigger!
    Wayne, I got your info and the email is on it's way. The print copies are in an envelope and ready to go.

Flloyd, I haven't received your info yet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Oliver
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Finally signed up as well

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks.

Check your email inbox.

Real Name
    Kenneth Boller
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Still don't have mine? I followed one of the links posted previously.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't received anything yet, and I just checked my spam filter to see if it went there. I didn't see it, but I did learn that Elaine was horny, about 80 people want to be my f*ckbuddy, and AT&T is still trying to sell me Uverse, which to me is the same as those other f/b emails. (I hate checking my span box.)

Which link did you use?

I received several joins this week and responded to all within hours.
    Knorm65 likes this.

Bikini Inspector Frozen Tundra GT's Avatar
    Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads

Stay away from George's mom elaine!!! she is my tenderoni!
    poor gt (R.I.P) likes this.

UFOpel Investigator Site Supporter Aardvaark (R.I.P.)'s Avatar
    Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilford View Post
    Just to be clear, the sane folks will vote "no", n'est pas? The whole issue is just a bit mind boggling, and I didn't want to accidently vote the wrong way.

Mike, more than a few of us have had our issues with said instigator of the vote. If I had my way, we would impeach him from ANY involvement in OMC or anything that we might require contact with him. When I have recommended new Opelers contact OGTS for parts, I specifically tell them to stay clear of the guy who won't let his name be spoken (kinda' like Voldemort, right?). You have my sympathy.
    Quote Originally Posted by m610 View Post
    It is a really bizarre situation, and we just spent $650 and bunch of my time and others time to put out an issue just for this guy. Maybe he should repay OMC.

Paul, the president, suggested this. I think it was a good idea in that it is plain and clear that we went the extra mile for him, so once we start to reel him in he can't complain about having been shutdown by me.

Next up on my list is his nonsense on providing reprints. Right now it looks like if you contact OGTS to get one what you'll get is a redacted version. He's acting as if the Blitz was his personally.

I've recently had a conversation with a member who had, at my suggestion, contacted OGTS (They have a file cabinet full of them.) to get reprints, and told him to ask for Gil. He called and talked to not-Gil, and got so much obfuscation and other classic not-Gil nonsense that it almost turned ugly. I suggested he try again but talk to only Gil, not that other guy. Now when I send people to OGTS I tell them to ask for Gil, and specifically say do not bother with that other guy. Yesterday at a show someone told me they had a car to sell, and I did just that. Even strangers are being warned.

The really bizarre thing about this vote is that each member essentially makes that vote every time they renew. Once in a while we get someone switching to PDF-only, and recently from PDF-only to print. (Everyone we have the email address for already gets the PDF anyway.) This vote takes that option away. BTW, if the vote goes for going digital, I'm done with the editor's job and most likely with OMC. Maybe Gary wants to add a newsletter to OpelGT.com's offerings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra GT View Post
    said instigator holds no current position at OMC,

he is imposing his will and I dont quite understand how someone with no position can get these things into print.

Thanks to ye mighty harold for ridding the forum of his BS. Not 1 post since the poll. yay
    If we are being assured the David Altenburg will no longer hold any position in OMC I'll rejoin. A more irritating individual I can't recall dealing with. No wonder people are out to get him.
    And I always ask for Gil.
    Last edited by Aardvaark (R.I.P.); 05-24-2015 at 06:04 PM.
    RallyBob and m610 like this.
    -Mark
    '75 Manta
    Having invested my life savings into
    this Opel Manta. I expect big returns.😅
    Link to my album of Opel catalogs
    and magazine articles:
    https://www.opelgt.com/photopost/show...ser/23031/sl/a

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just got my Blitz on Friday. Leafed thru it a bit. A more confusing read I've never had! I do find it interesting and can see *some* of the merits of both arguments.

However, that said, I'd probably let my (30 year) membership lapse if it went to a purely digital format. I read everything on my phone these days, so I have no option to print out anything on a home computer as I don't have one anymore.

Similarly, I used to read every word about NASA pro racing when it was integrated within Grassroots Motorsports magazine. They went to a separate digital format and I've read maybe three issues in the past two years.

I guess I like having a tangible paper product in my hands. Call me old fashioned in that regard.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10, E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Manta - racecar

UFOpel Investigator Site Supporter Aardvaark (R.I.P.)'s Avatar
    Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvaark View Post
    If we are being assured the David Altenburg will no longer hold any position in OMC I'll rejoin. A more irritating individual I can't recall dealing with. No wonder people are out to get him.
    And I always ask for Gil.
    Holy crap that was fast. And the new Blitz issues look super Mike!
    Now I can see what the kerfuffle with the special "AD" issue was all about.
    -Mark
    '75 Manta
    Having invested my life savings into
    this Opel Manta. I expect big returns.😅
    Link to my album of Opel catalogs
    and magazine articles:
    https://www.opelgt.com/photopost/show...ser/23031/sl/a

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ..... Maybe Gary wants to add a newsletter to OpelGT.com's offerings.
    Hold that thought, Mike.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When I was putting this issue together and reading and rereading the anonymous submissions and criticisms, I tried to put myself in the place of a relatively new member who'd be reading about these things for the first time and most likely would take it at face value. Originally I wasn't going to try to rebut anything, just let him vent, but then thought again about the new folks, and the fact that this would become part of the OMC archives, so I just had to push back. I had several people read my parts to make sure I wasn't going too far, and I did pull a few comments. But all in all, this issue was no fun. Hopefully it will lead so something better.

The really weird thing about publishing the commentaries anonymously is that every word would look as if I wrote them. Like, criticizing myself for divorcing the Blitz from the Opel marque, for having my own agenda, presummably promoting my racing, for giving away assets, saying I need to be reeled in, and other nonsense.

Here's a bit of a back story. In 2011, at the Fun Run, I asked Gil if a CD-ROM of past issues was available. He said it was and was available to the next editor to step up, and then looked at me funny, as if I would take that on. I had no history with OMC, and barely any with Opel, so I didn't offer.

A year later, similar discussion at the Fun Run, and this time I said I'd try it, then promptly went overboard with a 60-page issue focusing on Bonneville Opels. That was a huge fun, so I was hooked. I like Opels. I like telling stories. I like seeing that people get a little attention for cool things they do. I guess I was a perfect fit.

I soon found out that OMC was all but a goner. Recent issues had been little more than a few reprinted articles accompanied with pleas for people to get involved. Later I learned that the treasurer had even stopped bothering people about dues. Things were that, well, tenuous.

I decided the only way to reverse this trend was to pour a ton of effort into this, to make the Blitz look good, relevant, and something people would WANT to have. There was no point in expecting people to contribute to a publication that was anything less. In the past contributed articles and such were talked about as if it an obligation that comes with membership. That may be, but the world doesn't work that way. People need a better reason, so I figured I'd try to find those reasons for them. So how about a centerfold featuring your car? A cover photo? A crazy story, totally made up or true, doesn't matter. It started to work. LowKey stepped up, Gordon and FrozenTundra stepped up, as did others. Charles has stepped up and after four significant articles is dominating in that arena. Many others have, too. At this point its getting tougher for me to slip in a Tinyvette race story.

It's going well. It's still a lot of work, and yes, D is still out there seemingly wanting to lock everything down again as if we were a secret society that was always on the verge of being sued. In spite of D, membership is picking up again. We're at 164+ now, up from right around 150 when I started. More significantly, we are seeing fewer people leave. At first the losses were about the same and the gains, but now the gains are up and the losses down. And a gain of 15 is not a lot, but it is 10%.

As for the print/PDF question. I've had a couple people tell me that reading the printed Blitz is completely different that on the screen. Part of the problem is probably the layout, the double-column thing, but a page-wide single column can be tough to read, too. Maybe the PDF can be made to work better if it was produced as a true eBook, but then, how many of you want to buy an eBook reader? Also, I know from experience that I simply cannot proof this thing reading it on the screen. It just doesn't work. I have to print it and go somewhere else to proof it, and even then, well, no one can copy edit their own stuff. But, even for me, it's a very different experience reading the print. I simply see more of what is on the page.

Another item, suggested by TrayTodd, was that getting the prints was preferred, but also getting the PDF was good too because once his bookshelves were full and the purge came, he'll still have a space-saving digital archive he car dig out when he wanted to. Right now anyone who is a member gets the PDF version. Print-members get both.

The bigger question is, do we want to immediately lose half of our membership? The numbers have been pretty consistent since I started using Mail Chimp to send the emails, and the numbers tell me clearly that only half of our membership gets the emails. A bunch can't get them and for some reason, maybe spam filters, others don't get them. Suppose Gary decided there were advantages to making this forum Mac-only. Some people would be fine with that. I think I know where I am going with this.

Anyway, vote, and if you have any questions, call any time. My contact info is in the Blitz.

Mike

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The next issue is almost ready to go out. I just need a little help with some figure captions, one last permission to use a photos, and a final careful read-through. Assuming I get the permissions, etc within a day or so this issue could go out before this weekend.

A lot of this issue is meant to help Gil in promoting the Nationals/Picnic. I do that mostly by introducing people to the big events that will be held in Monterey the following weekend.

The table of contents are attached. I'm also attaching the complete list of Monterey car events.

Mike

P.S. The vote on the anonymous one's amendment proposal have not been counted yet so for the time being I'm still the editor.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, the May-June 2015 issue is done and out. The last bit of getting out an issue is pretty tedious and is all about the details. It starts by updating my roster using the info Dick Counsil sent me, then I update the two mailing lists, then I check for mistakes, and 2 hours later all that is done.

The covers have already been created using Photoshop, but without fail they need some final touches, so I do the touching.

The covers are 8.5x11 images, at 300 ppi, and besides looking nice they have to fit the final document. The print version of the Blitz is trimmed a bit so I have to keep important stuff away from the margins, plus I have to shift everything over by about 1/8" so everything looks centered. Yes, 1/8" is noticeable.

The covers get printed as PDF files, an online and print version for each, plus a smaller jpeg image is created, plus two even smaller png images. The latter get uploaded so they will appear in the email announcement. The jpeg goes here, on Facebook, wherever.

By this time I have read and reread then printed and reread this issue again, so hopefully the text is clean. Now it is time for final assembly. This starts by producing two PDF files, files that do not yet have the covers or full-bleed interior pages. One file is for online viewing and the other is for the printer. After examining them they each get their own special covers added and any full-bleed interior pages inserted. I'm editing the PDF file here. Then I repeat this process 3-4 times as I find small things to fix of minor edits I just can't help but make. Finally it is done.

The online version gets uploaded to a folder on my web site and the print version gets uploaded to MagCloud. After reviewing the copy on MagCloud/Blurb I save it. It's ready to send.

Then the email announcement is created. Using Adobe Dreamweaver I modify the previous issue's announcement, view it locally using my browser, and test the links. Then I email myself a copy to make sure it looks OK in the email. Finally I create a "campaign" at Mail Chimp and the email goes out. Within a minute the email arrives at my in-box. By this time the next day about two-thirds of our members who have email address will have opened the email.

Next I update my spreadsheet. I enter the page count, number of copies to be printed, etc, and I get a good estimate of the printing costs. I don't return to MagCloud just yet to order the prints. I wait a few hours, maybe even until the following morning, to see if anyone sees and reports problems. I can fix the online version any time, but I only get one shot at the print version.

I email Dick Counsil with notes on anything I saw in the roster and to let him know the order for the prints is about to be placed.

For most issues I send a pre-pub copy to each of the officers, but that is only when I have it done-done and have a little time before I need to send it out. I had been sitting on a near-completed issue for a couple of weeks so I just wanted to get this one out.

At this point I can almost call it a day. Almost. There's one more job to do. I need to set up the next issue. To start I create a folder for the next issue and I start copying selected sub-folders from the current issue to the new one. I keep notes and photos for each story in a separate folder. (See the attachment.) If the story is not done, has not been published, it gets moved to the new issue's folder. Other folders, such as "Cover", "Illustrations, "Photo Opel" get copied over. Then I open the main document and strip it of everything except the titles and headers for the articles. The calendar and other things stay, and I update the footers so they have the correct issue date, and I type in the titles of article to appear in the next issue.

Then I come here to let you all now this issue is done, and I bask in the imagined of glory being the editor of this thing.

By the way, the stats on this issue are:

Prints: 105
    Online: 60
    Page Count: 46
    Word Count: 21,000 and change
    Illustrations: 40

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The print version of this issue should be arriving in your mail boxes now. My bulk order (archive and promo copies) came yesterday and my member copy arrived today.

I took a copy to lunch with me yesterday to review it and realized my experience receiving these is probably very different from everyone else's, once I get past first impressions. First, I don't read it. I've read it a dozen times already, and if I read it again I'm likely to find a typo, and that will ruin my day. Second, aside from my typophobia, I still find myself looking for errors, things to improve. Should I use a slightly smaller font, like in magazines? Should I go to three columns, like in magazines. Should is start using sans serif fonts for headers, like in magazines and books? The cover looked a little dark and the blues look a little too purple. What can I do about that? It all looked fine on the screen.

Then I'm thinking, how do I get people interest in the "Centerfold" to send in a glorious photo of their car and a brief description of how it came to be your loyal friend, favorite son, stand-in for a spouse? How do I get more stories on more varied Opel topics and from people and places I don't see on a regular basis? Past editors have begged and pleaded. I'm trying to see if jealousy will accomplish the same.

Other than all that, and, more, I look at it and think, I made that! With help from Roger and Charles and Gil and others, I made that.
    Gary likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The back cover.

This issue is almost done.

Does the magazine come with membership? Thanks

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not sure how to interpret that question, so how about this for an answer, issues do not come with membership, but membership does come with issues.
    guyopel and Frozen Tundra GT like this.

Bikini Inspector Frozen Tundra GT's Avatar
    Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Got the latest issue... and it is my last until the ghost writer is removed.

Bloody brilliant issue mate. Loved the Story by Roger Wilson and Opel raising party for Ubernoob.

This is what the Blitz is about! to me anyways
    RallyBob likes this.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, James. I am trying to make this publication as much about the people as I can. Oh, and the cars.

That anonymous guy is not involved in this publication. I haven't heard anything from him since the "Anonymous Issue" came out. He is still a member, and I hear he is still grumbling about me, and also that he didn't bother to read that issue. Nice. $900 in club money and a solid week of my time to put out an issue he asked for.

But on to more pleasant things.

I'm up to speed on this next issue. It will focus mainly on the Nationals. Several people have sent me their photos and I'll be working them in, lots of them. I also plan to write a recap of the event, but I'd also like to hear from other attendees. Surely by now you are tired of hearing about these things from almost exclusively my point of view.

I am writing a "Road Trip" article for this issue as well. This one didn't involve an Opel, but it was recent, and covered some of the same ground a few of our attendees covered getting to the event. I offer it as an encouragement to use the opportunity to attend distant shows as road trip, rather than just travel time. I know Gordon had been working on plans to make such a trip, and our guests from Indiana did make it. I hope to be able to make Carlisle someday, in my Opel, and when I do will maximize the road trip potential of all those miles.

Mike
    Aardvaark (R.I.P.) likes this.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information