OMC Blitz Thread - Page 5
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: OMC Blitz Thread

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've received a couple of complements on the "Road Trip" article, so part 2 will be in the upcoming issue. Again, it's not a standard tech or show article. It's more in the line of "Opel lifestyle", which is a theme I am trying to promote and exploit, and in this case I also wanted it to an encouragement to go ahead and make the long trip to the next show, such as Carlisle.

The next issue is in the works and will include part 2. This series is also being put together as a book-gift for Anna, long-time friend and one of the people I made this trip with. The title will be "Road Trip", and chapters are Home, North, East, There, South, West, and Home. The Blitz will get condensed versions of these chapters.

I've hinted to Charles that the Yellow Baron story needs its 15 pages of fame. Maybe Charles and the car's owner can collaborate on this, or both send their accounts. I haven't been able to follow the story closely, although I was involved in the beginning, and I have to say it is a shining example of how a community of like-afflicted people can help each other out. This one makes the Opel raising and my recent 3-hours-turned-into-3-day adventure with LTs car look like little more than loaning a friend a tool.

It's been a while since you heard any of my racing stories, so that may happen in this issue.

Roger Wilson is our unofficial racing correspondent and has been trying to keep in touch with other racers to get their story. He did mention that Roger Lee's car was recently sold and is being restored to race condition, probably to be raced in VARA. I'll see what else I can learn about that.

Keith Ory is our unofficial "Miglia" correspondent. He goes on several each year, an Opel among Ferraris, and has some stories to tell.

The new LeMons team in OK has promised an article. Maybe I can get a short progress report version from them for this issue. I figure they might be holding out for the big, final, tell.

I also need to track down Joe DeBattista to get more info on his Kadett restoration.

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Craig Roberts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm looking forward to the next installment of Mike's road trips.

After reading about my "adventure" , if anyone else has an adventure that they want to write about, I'm sure Mike would like to hear from you.
    GoinManta likes this.
    Craig Roberts

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The next issue is coming together now. It currently has two LeMons racing stories (not by me) and it will most likely get a LeMons race story by me. Installment 2 of the road trip story will be in it, and hopefully I can get my Arduino project written up. And really hopefully, I am really hoping to get the Yellow Baron story.

Right now I am considering to covers, both included here as attachments. Any opinions? Preferences?
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Bikini Inspector Frozen Tundra GT's Avatar
    Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    murphy on cover!

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm hoping that becomes an option. I need the story first.

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I prefer the TinyVette picture. Murphy would be my choice if it gets in.
    GeorgeOpel likes this.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD, Working GM AC

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Knorm65 View Post
    I prefer the TinyVette picture. Murphy would be my choice if it gets in.
    Believe it or not I try to keep the Tinyvette low profile in this publication. It's difficult to do since nearly all of my Opeling involves this car. On the other hand, I have managed to keep it off the cover since late 2012, so maybe it is time.

It's looking like this issue will be heavy on racing. The previous issue was all about shows, so maybe this helps balance things. I do have a tech article to write, but it's not the fix-it type people are accustomed to.

By the way, a progress report on the LeMons build in OK would fit in nicely in this issue. Hint, hint.

I'm not optimistic about getting the Yellow Baron article in and ready in time for publication. Plus, its a pretty big story and I'm thinking the next issue should be dedicated to it, and it should not be rushed.

Which reminds me, I need to bug Charles to maybe get an article promoting Carlisle 2016.

Mike
    GoinManta likes this.

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it would be better for the next issue. We are going to get a lot of things buttoned up on the car by the time the next issue is ready. Plus several of our members are going out of country and I want to get everybody together to help compile our story.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD, Working GM AC

Downloads
    Uploads

Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by Knorm65 View Post
    I think it would be better for the next issue. We are going to get a lot of things buttoned up on the car by the time the next issue is ready. Plus several of our members are going out of country and I want to get everybody together to help compile our story.
    Mike.. I saw your PM to me.. and I'm totally on board to share the story of Murphy..

Although I'm a little surprised by the interest, I'm thrilled to share and highlight how our OPEL community jumped in to save a slightly of-beat GT..

I'll get my end out to you in short order, and then you can edit away!!
    Knorm65 likes this.

Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads

There you go ( Article to come.. )
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '72 Opel GT - "Red Baron"

In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels and a even few GTs

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The December issue is out. Email subscribers should have received the link a few days ago. The print version is being printed now and should ship today, meaning it will be in your mail box probably by this weekend.

This issue focuses on racing. The previous issue was all about shows, and the next one will be about restorations, including the Yellow Baron and others.

Thanks, all, for the help getting this issue out. Roger Wilson, my motorsports correspondent, helped hustle up a couple of Opel races and they sent their stories in. I know there are more of you out there and I'd love to get your stories out as well.

Charles and Matt sent in stories for this issue but they'll appear in the next issue. I'll be contacting the guy who restored the Kadett that was shown at the Nationals and in several shows during Monterey Car Week. I may have even convinced Roy to tell about his 1.1L restoration, and this might also be a good opportunity to help promote the book on restoring Opels that one of this forum's members published last year.

Also, I am trying to do a better job of helping people promote their events. If you've got one coming up this year, let me know and I'll do up something like you can see in the attachment, which is an early draft, but you'll get the idea. (I did the artwork for the bottom two events, and can do this for your, too, if you like.)

Anyway, enjoy your Blitz.

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files
    RallyBob and mschinelli3 like this.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Attached is a screen shot of by Blitz folder, showing stories planned for the next issue, plus stories I hope to get to in a future issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mschinelli3 likes this.

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Got my paper Blitz in the mail today. Beautiful job Mike! You've really outdone yourself. It's definitely the closest thing to a full-on Opel magazine the US has ever had. Bravo!
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10, E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta - racecar

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine came today. It does look good. Whoever is putting this out certainly seems to have the knack.

Seriously, though, I'm never sure what it will look like until I receive my copy. Seeing it on the screen is one thing, in print another. So far the differences have been minor, mostly the color, some blues looking a bit purple.

Mike
    mschinelli3 likes this.

Real Name
    Jim Pennington
    Downloads
    Uploads

Blitz

Got the Blitz the other day....Great Job!!!!

Please put in more racing SCCA....Historic....Lemons....Etc..

Is Ken Alderson still racing?

Jim

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The February race is behind me now and I finally got a break from work and made a little progress on the Jan-Mar issue. Joe DeBattista sent in his story of the restoration he and his dad did of his Kadett. He sent nice photos, too. I'm revising the event section and will soon start bugging people for things they promised me.
    mschinelli3 likes this.

Real Name
    Jim Pennington
    Downloads
    Uploads

Racing

Mike, it was good to talk to you the other day.

Can I contribute an article I wrote for another club on racing the Lotus Esprit?

Thank you, Jim

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Jim, Likewise, and I'll get that report back to you soon.

And yes, I think that can be made to fit. The Blitz has a column called Bench Racing which is about somewhat off-topic stories that may or may not be true. Fishing stories, basically. And of course they can be true. I just ask that the story be at least peripherally related to Opels, Opeling, or the "Opel lifestyle", because as we all know, Opels give our lives a certain style.

But yes. Send it it. I've got this month's issue covered so you have time. I'll be adding part three of six of my road trip series. The other three parts? Buy the book.

BTW, the peripheral connection of my road trip stories is the road trips we may be considering when contemplating attending Carlisle, Tacoma, OMC, or other far-off events.

Mike

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This may be reaching a bit, but the Series 1 Lotus Esprit used the Manta A suspension as delivered from Lotus. So there 'sort of' is a tie-in there.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10, E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta - racecar

Real Name
    Jim Pennington
    Downloads
    Uploads

Opel and Lotus

In 1989, Opel sanctioned a high performance version of the Omega built in cooperation with Lotus. This version was named the Lotus Omega or Lotus Carlton depending on whether the base car was sold as an Opel Omega or Vauxhall Carlton in their respective European markets. The car was built using a variety of parts from other GM suppliers and manufacturers. The engine was based on Opel's standard 3.0-litre 24-valve, which was handed to Lotus to modify. As a result, engine capacity rose to 3.6 litres; in addition, two Garrett T25 turbochargers were installed along with a water-cooled intercooler. The engine management was also modified and the ignition changed to an AC Delco type (same system as the Lotus Esprit uses). The result was a 377 bhp (281 kW; 382 PS) high performance engine. This Omega also inherited a larger differential from Holden's Commodore with a 45% LSD, whereas the gearbox was a 6-speed manual ZF gearbox fitted to the Corvette ZR1. The tyres were custom-made by Goodyear and can be recognised by the small Greek letter Ω (Omega) on the side. These were required as this car could reach 280 to 300 km/h (186 mph), which made this Omega the world's fastest production sedan at the time. This was a controversial fact given that the other major German manufacturers producing high performance cars had been fitting speed limiters to not allow maximum speeds higher than 250 km/h (155 mph). The 1,663 kg (3,666 lb) car accelerated from 0–100 km/h (62 mph) in 5.3 seconds, 0–160 km/h (99 mph) in 11.5 seconds.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast