OMC Blitz Thread
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: OMC Blitz Thread

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads

OMC Blitz Thread

Instead of starting a new thread for different issues, I think I'll just keep this one running.

But first off, please let me know if this is inappropriate in any way, going on about OMC on this site. I realize this site has something of a club component, although I figure most people see it as a forum with some nice extras. Anyway, let me know.

I just finished the October issue. It was a lot more work than I planned but I like how it came out. The Bonneville 2.0 story is in it, and there is a new team bringing a GT to a LeMons race and they submitted a short story and will follow that up after their first race. (Neither of those guys have raced before, ever.) Roger Wilson tells a tale of SCCA licensing, I've got something in there about the "Baby Corvette" article from Corvette Magazine, and more.

The part I am most proud of is the story of the Allson-powered Opel GT. After meeting Chris Franson at the Tacoma meet last summer and him sending me photos and his story, I started digging and found people who knew the car's builder, Mark Speicher. One of those was his son John, who lives about an hour away from me. I also spoke to John and to friends of Mark's and got the story of the car and the builder. This is what I like most about editing the Blitz, having the motivation to track down and get the Opel story that for the most part are vague Internet myths and rumors.

Anyway, for those of you that get the Blitz, let me know what you think. The print issue is in the mail now and the PDF should already be in your inbox.

The Cover:

The next issue, about 1/2 done at this point, reviews and analyzes OMC's history in areas related to proposed amendments to the by-laws, including the finances and membership over the years, the history of membership dues and the cost breakdown, a rough budget, the cost of producing the Blitz, and a few extras, including, hopefully, another tale from Roger Wilson. For this issue I have been digging through 34 years of back issues. Very interesting, and tedious, but I think the result in terms of articles that really give us the status of OMC, past and present, has been worth it.

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Real Name
    Darryl Powell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mike;
    I am not a member of OMC. I would like details on joining, etc. Looks like a nice publication you have there.

Thanks;
    Darryl

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by PSabre62 View Post
    Mike;
    I am not a member of OMC. I would like details on joining, etc. Looks like a nice publication you have there.

Thanks;
    Darryl
    Use Google to find information.
    Join OMC

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Use Google to find information.
    Join OMC
    Thanks. That should work, although the web site has been neglected for years. If you don't get a response soon pm me and I'll help. or use the fancy page I set up. It will forward your info to the treasurer and to me.

Link: OMC Membership Info Update

Here's more info about OMC - http://www.kstreetstudio.com/OMC/files/JoinOMC.pdf

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mike Hoelscher, one of the people I talked to about the Allison Opel (story in this issue) called me today to tell me he finally read my draft and that it put a lump in his throat. He holds Mark, the guy who built the Opel, in very high regard, and credits him with everything he's been able to do since leaving high school a year before graduation. He's the guy who inadvertently pointed out that a story about a car is actually a story about the people behind it.

My printed archive/promo copies arrived today. People should be getting theirs today or this weekend. I need to forward copies to people who helped with this issue.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The recent issue of the Blitz included a short article describing the plan for the 35th anniversary/National meet in 2015. It describes the idea plan, one we are working towards, and hopefully we can do it all. The details should be settled in time for the December issue.

For those who don't get The Blitz, here's a link to the article - 35th Anniversary/National Meet

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by m610 View Post
    The recent issue of the Blitz included a short article describing the plan for the 35th anniversary/National meet in 2015. It describes the idea plan, one we are working towards, and hopefully we can do it all. The details should be settled in time for the December issue.

For those who don't get The Blitz, here's a link to the article - 35th Anniversary/National Meet
    Great job on this issue Mike. Nice response to that "proxy" letter.

Bikini Inspector Frozen Tundra GT's Avatar
    Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Everybody knows that Mike is a swell fellow and capable of compromise and editing with an open mind. Everybody also knows the mysterious person is either a fugitive or difficult in every sense of the word.

I would gladly pay 2-300 for every back issue on cd rom, or be provided a log in to the pdf files.

Pretty sure there is only 2 guys who dont want OEC articles. if they are edited and all the fluff taken out, I like seeing what else is going on out there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got this in the mail, and the issue is fantastic! Very impressed. Thanks again!
    -Jeff W

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks.

I love researching these stories. I wish I could do this as a full time job. As it is, I just doing practically full time.

Centerfold
    For the past couple of issues I've not included an article that I was sure people would want to contribute to. It's the "Opel Centerfold" article, and while it's not exactly a centerfold, a photo of your car does get a whole page to itself. There's an inset that spoofs Playboy a bit, but most the article is about how your Opel, or Opels, you naughty boy/girl, has figured into you life. Non-technical stuff, rather, the personal side.

Think about it.

Also, I am always looking for great photos for the cover.

Think about it.

Upcoming issue, hopefully to be out next week, will be boring. Actually, its about my research into the financial history, budgets, cost of the Blitz, by-laws and by-law amendments, etc. Important stuff. There are a couple of Opeling stories in there as well.

I've been putting off Charles' wiring article, and mine, while I get out this business-essential issue and the recent roster issue. It should be in the December issue, along with the ballot.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've been putting off Charles' wiring article, and mine, while I get out this business-essential issue and the recent roster issue. It should be in the December issue, along with the ballot.
    I very much enjoyed Charles 101 and Your Tinyvette wiring threads!
    Good info is in both of them.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks.

I really want to finish those two articles but other more time-sensitive stuff has been getting in the way. On the other hand, maybe OMC is ready for its first 100+ page issue.

Here's the cover for the upcoming issue.

With a little luck it might be out by the end of next week.

Here's and illustration that will give you a sense of what the history/finance articles will be like.

And of course we'll have an Opel story or two.

Mike
    Last edited by m610; 11-15-2014 at 02:14 AM.
    Genemak1 likes this.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The back cover.

This issue is almost done.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The November issue is out and people should have already received the PDF version. The print version should be in mailboxes within a day or two.

The December issue is coming along. At this point it includes an article on how to prepare a GT for racing in LeMons, how to submit a story for publication in the Blitz, and I am now working on part 2 of GoinManta's wiring article. Hopefully well also have an official announcement of the 35th Anniversary/National Meet. Roger Wilson has promised me another story and I'd think the story of the Tinyvette-LowKey connection would be interesting, as if the Blitz didn't already have enough Tinyvette stories in it.

I don't have a cover yet. Does anyone want to be on it?

The ballots and survey will be mailed separately from the Blitz this year.

Mike

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's still preliminary, but something like this will most likely be the cover of the December issue of the Blitz. The only changes I expect are the lists of articles inside.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads

The December Issue is Out.

The December issue is out. The fancy HTML email has been sent to all members we have valid email addresses for and the print version is uploading to MagCloud now. Print subscribers should receive their copy by the end of the week, depending on how the holiday mail goes.

The cover didn't change much but the heck, the final version is attached. Also, a sample article is attached. It's Gary Murph's write-up on our fateful Arse-Freeze-Apalooza race.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The holidays delayed the printing of the December issue but it is out now. Mine arrived yesterday. If yours didn't you should be receiving it soon. Meanwhile, work has already begun on the next issue.

Mike

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just joined today! I look forward to seeing the blitz.
    Ooooner, m610 and Frozen Tundra GT like this.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Knorm65 View Post
    I just joined today! I look forward to seeing the blitz.
    Great, and that makes two people from Witchita Falls.

PM me your contact info and I'll make sure you get the current issue. Otherwise you'd have to wait for the next issue which is when Dick Counsil sends me the info I need to update my mailing lists.
    Ooooner likes this.

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great, and that makes two people from Witchita Falls.

PM me your contact info and I'll make sure you get the current issue. Otherwise you'd have to wait for the next issue which is when Dick Counsil sends me the info I need to update my mailing lists.
    Wait a minute there is someone else from Wichita Falls?! I've heard of a guy that has a GT with a Lenk body kit here, but I've never seen him. Think his name is Richard Stephens.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information