Bonneville GT for sale
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By m610
  • 2 Post By slracer

Thread: Bonneville GT for sale

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bonneville GT for sale

The Black Opel is for sale. $25k and it is yours. You know you want it. Bonneville dreams, we all have them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    opelgtguy and guyopel like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by m610 View Post
    The Black Opel is for sale. $25k and it is yours. You know you want it. Bonneville dreams, we all have them.
    FWIW - The Black Opel is the current record holder in E/GMS at 208.974mph so you can tell your friends "Yea, it's pegged the speedometer!"

For those of you who don't read "Bonnevese", E/GMS means engine displacement class is "E" which is approximately 3001-4275cc*, G means the engine is burning an event approved Gasoline (as opposed to nitrous, nitromethane, alcohol or any fuel other than an event approved gas), and the MS means the chassis is a Modified Sports car.

The record is considered "soft" as the H/GMS record (1001-1500cc) is 211.064mph running a Triumph GT6 body (with a 6" chop and a long nose, both as allowed in the modified class). Attached pic shows the GT6 at Bonneville. It also has my "inputs" on the aero package which probably explains some of the speed! (Ouch, there goes my shoulder again! I've got to get someone else to pat my back, these Dr. bills are getting excessive.) The Black Opel has a longer nose, but not sure if it has the wheeelbase extension allowed with the nose extension but, as you can see, is not chopped so the frontal area is much larger than "necessary". Room for improvement, IMHO.

Warning, the Salt at the Bonneville Salt Flats contains some unknown contaminants and is rumored to cause a strange malady (known as Salt Fever) which may be impossible to cure (except by continued participation in events at the Salt Flats - or similar related venues). See you at the Salt!

Doug

* The "car guys" use cubic inches so the cc displacement is a strange number.

PS - If I have to tell you which one is the GT6, you do not have Salt Fever (yet)!
    Last edited by slracer; 01-01-2017 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Added notes
    opelgtguy and wklopf like this.

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Black Opel

I remember they used to run a Pontiac SOHC 6 cylinder, looks like they now have a 4200 Vortec straight-6 in there.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10, E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta - racecar

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is the nose of that car detachable?

Sitting on that flat bed tow truck, it doesn't look that long nose is on the car. It just looks like a normal GT.

A GT on a tow truck, what could be more normal than that?

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's the note Dick sent his team:

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Knorr
    Good day Black Opel friends,
    Hope you are all well and excuse me if you got this twice.

I am forwarding the latest copy of the OMC magazine put together by the hard work of Mike Meier. We are featured again, see page 8, as well as Bill Ward and Spirit of the Lakes. Mike and the club are looking for new members to help keep spreading the good word about Opels, so please consider joining.

In other news the Black Opel is for sale as is, meaning fire damage under the hood and floor and parachute. The motor threw a rod, so one bad hole and accompanying damage. If anyone is really interested, give me or Frank a call for details. We are asking $25,000 CAD. Plan B would be to part it out. Any leads appreciated also.

In other other news we campaigned a 1933 BLACK AJS motorcycle at Speedweek this year but missed the record by 10 mph due to a bad ignition system and an equally bad spare, oh well there's always next year.....I’ve heard that somewhere before ??? You can check out this bike at Black Opel

So from the Black Opel and Black AJS crews a healthy and prosperous new year. See you at Speedweek maybe?

Cheers
    Dick and Frank

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    William
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    FWIW - The Black Opel is the current record holder in E/GMS at 208.974mph so you can tell your friends "Yea, it's pegged the speedometer!"

For those of you who don't "Bonnevese", E/GMS means engine displacement class is "E" which is approximately 3001-4275cc*, G means the engine is burning an event approved Gasoline (as opposed to nitrous, nitromethane, alcohol or any fuel other than an event approved gas), and the MS means the chassis is a Modified Sports car.

The record is considered "soft" as the H/GMS record (1001-1500cc) is 211.064mph running a Triumph GT6 body (with a 6" chop and a long nose, both as allowed in the modified class). Attached pic shows the GT6 at Bonneville. It also has my "inputs" on the aero package which probably explains some of the speed! (Ouch, there goes my shoulder again! I've got to get someone else to pat my back, these Dr. bills are getting excessive.) The Black Opel has a longer nose, but not sure if it has the wheeelbase extension allowed with the nose extension but, as you can see, is not chopped so the frontal area is much larger than "necessary". Room for improvement, IMHO.

Warning, the Salt at the Bonneville Salt Flats contains some unknown contaminants and is rumored to cause a strange malady (known as Salt Fever) which may be impossible to cure (except by continued participation in events at the Salt Flats - or similar related venues). See you at the Salt!

Doug

* The "car guys" use cubic inches so the cc displacement is a strange number.

PS - If I have to tell you which one is the GT6, you do not have Salt Fever (yet)!
    Well, Doug, I guess that this explains your handle. "slracer." Bill

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    Is the nose of that car detachable?

Sitting on that flat bed tow truck, it doesn't look that long nose is on the car. It just looks like a normal GT.

A GT on a tow truck, what could be more normal than that?

Gordo, hmmmm, the car is sitting on the ground! That is the front of the push vehicle you are seeing!

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by wklopf View Post
    Well, Doug, I guess that this explains your handle. "slracer." Bill
    Bill, you are almost right! I started racing at El Mirage Dry Lake then moved to Bonneville. The "sl" part of my handle is actually "Straight Line" but "salt lake" is the usual thought. As an aside, when I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course (at age 61) the instructor asked all participants for their experience level. I replied that I had ridden a Honda 50 step-through with a 3 speed and centrifugal clutch for 1 summer 30+ years earlier. When I added that I had been racing a 100 cc bike at El Mirage and Bonneville for the last 5 years, but I had never turned right (right turnouts were for emergencies on the courses I had been riding on), he suggested that he would list me as "no experience". I agreed with his assessment!

Doug

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    FWIW - The Black Opel is the current record holder in E/GMS at 208.974mph <SNIP>
    The Black Opel has a longer nose, but not sure if it has the wheeelbase extension allowed with the nose extension but, as you can see, is not chopped so the frontal area is much larger than "necessary".
    Room for improvement, IMHO.

Doug
    The long nose "question" bugged me a bit so I "Googled" it and found the pic below. Minor nose extension and NO wheelbase extension so More room for improvement (compare to the GT6 pic above). BTW - the GT6 also has front wheel drive.

Doug

Thread Information