making a list, checking it twice
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making a list, checking it twice

Real Name
    Kim
    Downloads
    Uploads

making a list, checking it twice

I am so into this. i have my little list to take with me to the auto parts store.

air cleaner
    alternator belt
    pertronix ignitor and coil
    spark plugs and wires
    fuel filter
    battery and ends
    oil filter
    oil
    water pump
    liquid wrench
    brake parts cleaner

sure i'll think of more. I am into fixing the headlights right now, baby steps but thrilling for me who has never worked on a car on my own before.

I took out the cotter pin on the actuator cable, could move it a little, so i got some oil on it and worked it back and forth about 2 inches. went to the console and the lever still didn't move so i poured some oil on it and went back to the front and worked on the cable some more.

Tried moving the buckets while the cable was unhooked and the driver's side moves a little and the passenger a little less.

went back to the lever and stuck the cover down over it, all whilt holding the instrument panel out of the way with one hand and got the lever to move all the way!! back and forth. Got it lined back up and put the cotter pin back in.

So now i'm going to spray the hell out of all the parts i can see from above and below with some wd40 and go from there. It was so exciting!! I did it, by myself, dave was inside watching the race. I would have kept going but the car isn't in the garage yet and it got dark

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good for you!! It is exciting when you make a little progress.

For the battery ends, it may be easier to just get the battery cables, so you may want to figure out the length before you go, just in case. I would also get a can of spray foam engine cleaner. I tend to use it a lot and it works ok.

I picked up one of those gallon can size 'carb cleaner' things. It is just a gallon paint can filled with parts cleaner, but it comes with a little steel strainer that fits inside. Pretty much ever little nut or bolt I pull out goes in the can for an hour. Then I use one of those little nylon or brash brushes to clean it up good prior to putting it back into its proper place. I think they sell the little brushes in a pack of 3 for pretty cheap. The carb cleaner is a little pricier at maybe $13-17.

Good luck!
    Steve
    "ever notice you are never done tinkering with the GT?"
    Never mind, I am WAAAY beyond tinkering now...

Real Name
    Vickie and Allen Gage
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Kim,

Good for you! Keep up the good work. One suggestion get rid of the WD40 and get some PB Blaster..great for breaking loose all the rusted stuff.

Have fun! That is what these Opels are all about.

Vickie

1969 Kadett LS Odette Showroom New Original
    1969 GT Omi The Grandmother
    1970 GT Octavia V8 Opel
    1971 GT Opie DESTEC car
    1971 Kadett Wagon Otis Survivor
    1972 GT Olessja Under restoration from being rear-ended
    1973 GT Olivette Awaiting Restoration
    1975 Manta yellowOmaryellow The Bumblebee
    1975 Ascona Sport Wagon: Otto Colonel Mustard
    1975 Ascona Sedan (1900) yellowOrlandoyellow
    1975 Ascona Sedan (1900) Oliver - "Olli"
    2008 SolsticeyellowOliviayellow

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good luck at the auto parts store! (your gonna need it). When i first got my opel i went to the local advance auto parts and ask for a oil filter, spark plugs, and points. They said what is an opel and who makes it! They proceeded to sell me the wrong oil filter, wrong spark plugs, and the wrong points. I have had better luck at the local NAPA store, as they have people working there who have more knowledge about the stuff they are selling. John.

Downloads
    Uploads
    it seems to me that PB blaster was specifically made for those suffering from opelitis... kinda like brown paper bags for acholics. doesn't cure the addiction, just makes it easier to live with.

hehe.

its great stuff. i suggest none other, and pb all the way. glad to hear you're having success with the headlamps. a note tho: they lock into place, and it requires a bit of momentum to 1, get them to lock, 2, get them to unlock. i don't recommend wackin the pin on the headlight assembly where the cable connects to 'encourage them' but maybe a good peice of twine or something , with the cable free, and you can work the headlights over w/out having to depend on the cable. once you get the headlights 'up' you can take the cans off, and remove all the bolts to get them to come out. then the mechanics behind them. thats what you need to get out/cleaned up to get em to act real good.

EDIT : you're trying to pick up a water pump for a gt at a local parts shop? *blinks* i don't know if you can do that... heh. i haven't had to *tahnks god* but getting parts for GTs from parts stores is an act of frustration w/ gts. hell. autozone only had 3 more of the damn spark plugs left when i was doing my tune up and said "sorry, we can't get more." lol. spark plugs! agh!
    Last edited by tekenaar; 03-13-2006 at 10:23 AM.

Real Name
    Jared
    Downloads
    Uploads
    add a cap and rotor to your list and i'd say your set for a little while. just tell the parts store that the cap and rotor are for a 71 VW beetle with a 1600 dual port engine, and all the sudden they have it, i promise. changing the fluids in the rear diff and trans would be a good idea before getting it on the road too.

check previous posts, and just ask for a oil filter giving them a part number with a brand, tell them opel, and most likely you'll get the ever so common dumbfounded looked. opel cross-references to some sort of nissan, but i cannot remember which.

you'll probably have to go to a VW shop or order the pertronix unit. its the 1847V ignitor you're looking for.
    previousely owned 8 GTs and 1 manta.

currently own

92 25th anniversary Z28. Ttop, leather, 370CI LSx T56 swap
    407 RWHP, 391 RWTQ, 11.74 @ 121

67 chevy sportvan deluxe....next in line.

73 chevy K-10- plow truck

71 GT, 1.9 4speed

2007 chevy silverado 1500, crewcab, loaded, Canadian limited edition GFX package Daily driver

Real Name
    Kim
    Downloads
    Uploads
    okay, so it's okay to put a little pressure on the buckets when trying to get them to rollover? i'm afraid to push to hard and break something.

I have scratched wd40 off my list and put pb blaster.

I looked at autozone online and they let you pick your car and they do show a waterpump but it's special order so will see. I am going to try Arnold's Auto Part's first. they are good old guys, been around forever and will probably be better, but i got ticked at them a few weeks ago. i went in to get a sparkplug for the new chinese 4 wheeler we bought colt, i told the guy(young guy, not one of the regulars) that i needed one of these, it's for a 4 wheeler and all he did was type in the number to the computer, told me he had to order them out of salt lake city and it would take 3 weeks.

I'm no pro but i know that typing in the number off a chinese sparkplug is gonna get you that result and he could have just spent a bit more effort and found me one, felt like i WAS at autozone and that left a bad taste in my mouth. So i'm going to give arnold's a shot first and then if it goes badly head to autozone with my list of part numbers i have printed.

the only sparkplugs they showed were bosch irridiums at 12 something a pop, yikes....and then a different one for 6.59 each, still yikes and after some searching a Denso for 1.77 so i may be ordering some stuff online.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The headlight rotating mechansims use the rotating mass to lock the headlight in the open or closed positions. So it does take some force to get them out of the locked position. Once they are unlocked, they will rotate, usually freely, but it will take some speed to get them spun fast enuff to engage the overcenter mechanism and lock. You'd have to have the rotating mechanisms out and watch how they work to understand all this technical stuff, but once you've seen them work, it's real easy to figure out. You can really give the headlight lever a strong shove or pull, and it won't hurt anything, unless the 3 bolts on the spring plates are loose. Then problems start and it's usually because of those 3 bolts being loose or sheared, or the spring plates get broken. A lot to digest, but with the drawings, I believe you've already got, it should be no problem. HTH.

Downloads
    Uploads
    hmmm. at autozone if you go to them and say "OPEL." just "OPEL." not buick, gm whatever, they have to look in some sort of 'other' menu to find it. same with AdvanceAuto. Advance has trouble with year identification, and i recommend having them look under '71 regardless of the year of yours. most of the hardware stayed the same anyways, from what i understand.

Real Name
    Doug
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought my water pump at autozone. Took 2 days to get. Fit OK, but the gasket was folded over. Broke it while trying to straighten and ended up making one out of a piece of gasket material. Good luck.

Cunning Linguist Site Supporter tekenaar's Avatar
    Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs upGet PB Blaster instead!

Quote Originally Posted by kndlindsey
    I am so into this. i have my little list to take with me to the auto parts store.

air cleaner
    alternator belt
    pertronix ignitor and coil
    spark plugs and wires
    fuel filter
    battery and ends
    oil filter
    oil
    water pump
    liquid wrench
    brake parts cleaner

sure i'll think of more. I am into fixing . . . the car isn't in the garage yet and it got dark
    FAR BETTER product: PB Blaster . . . spray can !!!

1960: '61 Rekord PII 1.7 3S 3.9 '69 Kadett LS 'sprint' 1.9 3A 3.18
    1970: '70 GT 1.9 4S 3.44 '72 GT 2.2SSD 5S 3.44 '72 GT 2.4FI 5S 3.44P
    1970: '73 GT 1.9FI 4S 3.44 '75 1900 1.9FI 4S 3.44
    1980: '85 Bitter SC 3.9FI 5S 3.44P
    2000: '09 Solstice GXP Coupe 2.0 SIDI VVT "Stage 2" Turbo 5S 3.73P

"De inimico non tantum loquaris male, sed cogites."

Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pertronix 1847V

Quote Originally Posted by greensmurf20
    add a cap and rotor to your list and i'd say your set for a little while. just tell the parts store that the cap and rotor are for a 71 VW beetle with a 1600 dual port engine, and all the sudden they have it, i promise. changing the fluids in the rear diff and trans would be a good idea before getting it on the road too.

check previous posts, and just ask for a oil filter giving them a part number with a brand, tell them opel, and most likely you'll get the ever so common dumbfounded looked. opel cross-references to some sort of nissan, but i cannot remember which.

you'll probably have to go to a VW shop or order the pertronix unit. its the 1847V ignitor you're looking for.
    Get it at Bugstuff . . . call toll free at 800-752-2847.

Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads

ExclamationCIH waterpumps

Quote Originally Posted by Dmcbrass
    I bought my water pump at autozone. Took 2 days to get. Fit OK, but the gasket was folded over. Broke it while trying to straighten and ended up making one out of a piece of gasket material. Good luck.
    Same CIH waterpump: 1968 - 1974; 1975 is clutch fan type (different, integrated pulley/clutch hub) used with FI (only year in US).

Downloads
    Uploads

Standard plugs are Best

Quote Originally Posted by kndlindsey
    i got ticked at them a few weeks ago. i went in to get a sparkplug for the new chinese 4 wheeler we bought colt, i told the guy(young guy, not one of the regulars) that i needed one of these, it's for a 4 wheeler and all he did was type in the number to the computer, told me he had to order them out of salt lake city and it would take 3 weeks.

the only sparkplugs they showed were bosch irridiums at 12 something a pop, yikes....and then a different one for 6.59 each, still yikes and after some searching a Denso for 1.77 so i may be ordering some stuff online.
    The expensive platinum or iridium plugs are just too expensive for GTs just use standard ones and ask for them by their part number - never say "Opel"
    Here are the plug numbers. Bosch or NGK are both good to go.

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/48094-post3.html

PS: I always ask for the 'old parts Guy' - he knows the old numbers off by heart and can usually tell the 'young parts Guys' what the equivalent part is - now they just say: "He's here again .. Get the Old Parts Guy!"
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs upBosch W7BC (7597) 'Super' plugs

Quote Originally Posted by GTJIM
    The expensive platinum or iridium plugs are just too expensive for GTs just use standard ones and ask for them by their part number - never say "Opel"
    Here are the plug numbers. Bosch or NGK are both good to go.

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/48094-post3.html

PS: I always ask for the 'old parts Guy' - he knows the old numbers off by heart and can usually tell the 'young parts Guys' what the equivalent part is - now they just say: "He's here again .. Get the Old Parts Guy!"
    I use the W7BC (7597) Bosch 'Super' plugs (copper electrode, non resistor), available next day at NAPA (99¢), in all my CIH engines with the following mod for improved 'flame front' (old Smokey Yunick trick from the '50s):

Last edited by tekenaar; 03-13-2006 at 11:26 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I called autozone and they said that they could get 3 different brand water pumps for 1.9's within 24 hours.
    Duralast $37
    Master $67
    Reman valucraft $38 with a $5 core deposit

has anyone ever used these brands or are they like crap, crappier, and crappiest? or is there some quality behind them?
    1970 Opel GT 1.9
    1980 Moto Guzzi V50
    2000 Saab 9-3 2.0 turbo
    2000 KTM 200 exc STOLEN

Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan
    I called autozone and they said that they could get 3 different brand water pumps for 1.9's within 24 hours.
    Duralast $37
    Master $67
    Reman valucraft $38 with a $5 core deposit

has anyone ever used these brands or are they like crap, crappier, and crappiest? or is there some quality behind them?
    Have had good luck with Duralast (their brand) stuff. Most important!! thing to remember about water pumps is NOT to tighten the belt too tightly!

Real Name
    Lloyd
    Downloads
    Uploads

Making a list

You also need to make sure the anti-freeze you use has a water pump lubricant in it, if not put some in with the water and anti-freeze. Use distilled water instead of tap water after flushing your radiator (no minerals).

Downloads
    Uploads
    How much play should the belt have? I think that is what killed my water pump, when I got it inspected the guy tightened the belt like crazy becuase he said it was way too loose I took his word for it..my mistake
    1970 Opel GT 1.9
    1980 Moto Guzzi V50
    2000 Saab 9-3 2.0 turbo
    2000 KTM 200 exc STOLEN

Real Name
    Lloyd
    Downloads
    Uploads

belt tension

You should be able to push down on the belt between the water pump pulley and the alt, and move it 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast