Pre 67 front wheel bearing setup
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RallyBob

Thread: Pre 67 front wheel bearing setup

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pre 67 front wheel bearing setup

Hello all-

I have an early '67 Kadett Coupe (the "Opile" Lemons race car) and want to make sure I am setting up the front wheel bearings correctly. It has spherical ball bearings and they look pretty tiny to me so I'm using very expensive hi pressure grease to hopefully help them last longer. My question is how much pre-load do these kind of bearings need? I don't have a manual that gives me the bearing nut torque so I'm a bit in the dark here.

Right now I have them set up snug with zero play and a tiny bit of drag. Is this too tight? I've never dealt with spherical ball wheel bearings before. Most cars after the 60's had tapered rollers and those are much stronger.

Thanks
    Last edited by avendler; 05-29-2019 at 12:41 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by avendler View Post
    Hello all-

I have an early '67 Kadett Coupe (the "Opile" Lemons race car) and want to make sure I am setting up the front wheel bearings correctly. It has spherical ball bearings and they look pretty tiny to me so I'm using very expensive hi pressure grease to hopefully help them last longer. My question is how much pre-load do these kind of bearings need? I don't have a manual that gives me the bearing nut torque so I'm a bit in the dark here.

Right now I have them set up snug with zero play and a tiny bit of drag. Is this too tight? I've never dealt with spherical ball wheel bearings before. Most cars after the 60's had tapered rollers and those are much stronger.

Thanks
    Why don’t you swap over to later Kadett/GT stuff? Easily accessible tapered bearings.

While you’re at it, throw on some GT steering arms too. Shorter = quicker steering.
    Commodåren likes this.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10, E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta - racecar

Downloads
    Uploads
    Swapping to spindles and hubs from a CIH equipped Kadett or GT opens up the availability of brakes too. The original Kadett ohv calipers have a narrower bolt spacing which makes calipers hard to find.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Better to have them on the loose side than on the tight side. But from the sound of it, I would say you are okay. If you put the wheel on and spin it, it should spin fairly well but then slow up after 3 revolutions.

Also I have those bearings and seals new if you ever need them, they are hard to find, and different. He would need to swap out lower control arms as well and tierods as they are different too, and smaller
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the input everyone. I will try and find some GT spindles and hubs to convert to. Better brakes, bearings, steering, and tie rod ends seems like enough to make it worth it. Now I just have to find someone with a GT they are taking apart....

Thread Information